Dn's Advanced Grow Tips

The Digital Nomad

Here are my Tips for growing happy plants.

Bending - bending is two things - first, it is less stress on the plant than cutting. You should not cut or crop plants that are few weeks in to flower as you could slow growth or even make it hermi. The plant thinks that it is being attacked by animals eating it, so it will develop hermi traits to produce seeds - because the plant wants to move away!

Second - Bending is distributing plant growth hormones. The very tip of the main stem gets the most hormones, but if you bend the main stem below the side branches - those hormones get shifted to the next highest branch - and it could be many side branches. The plant hormones will cause the side branches to get bigger and longer - perhaps to compensate for the loss of the main stem height.

Bending starts in Veg, after a while from cloning, the plant is showing growth, you will gently bend the main stem as to expose the sides to light. You will cut side branches from the side of the plant where it leans, and encourage the exposed side branches to grow tall. At this time, on sativas, I do the FIM or the only top crop - by cutting the top - it also redistributes the plant growth hormones and encourages the side branches to grow too. I use holes drilled in the side of the pot edge to hook the rubber coated wires to the plant - this way the 'trellis' moves with the pot - unlike a SOG that uses net or a cage - you can not move those plants!

In flower, it is important to support these side branches - while they will grow bigger buds - the stems never quite get strong enough to support the weight! So bamboo stakes are used, or a wire is strung from one branch to another for support. This is done later in to flower.

You will do one more Bend before the end of flower, during the veg and early flower stage you bent the plant out - to expose it. Now, later in to flower - you want to pull those branches back in! this is how i support the branches as they get heavy. it also compacts the plant so I can make room for another plant. so the second stage of bending, you bring branches back in.

--

cutting, cropping, trimming

I believe this causes plant stress, but plant stress duing veg and the early part of flower will not cause much adverse reaction to the plant. Like bending, cutting and cropping will redistribute the plant hormones. Cut it too much, and you disrupt the plant hormones so growth can slow, or the plant will be confused, or even hermi. Plants will hermi - develop male and female sex in effort to repopulate itself - somewhere else. If you cut it, its too hot, too cold, too moist - the plant will stress and decide it needs to move away. So avoid cutting after 3-4 weeks into flower.

I cut the FIM/top crop only once, cropping too many times causes the plant to be bushier, smaller buds with more 'wood'. This depends on the strain.

I cut off the growing nodes on each stem - from the inside, i cut the first two nodes. These are usually not exposed to much light, and grow small airy buds - so cut them off, and growth will be focused on the other nodes higher up the stems. This also keeps the center of the plant free from vegetation so air flows better. Again do all this before the first four weeks of flower.

I cut off the lower branches, this is called 'lollipopping' as the lower part of the plant will be free from the small diameter branches that never get big either. Again, this causes plant growth to focus on the remaining branches. This exposes the under side of the plant for more air flow, and easier to water and inspect.

Remember that buds shrink as they dry, as much as 50 % of their size when wet. So when wet if you have a bud that is only 1/2 inch - it will be a tiny 1/8 when dry. As you keep growing the same strain, you learn where these small buds grow - and cut them off early. You learn to preserve branches that have a certain diameter by the fourth week of flower.

I landscape - cultivate the soil around the plant - many soils can get compacted as it wets and dries. So I use a fork to break up the top 1-2 inches of the soil, i can squeeze the sides of the plastic pot to break the compact soil deeper inside. Remember roots like air, not light, looser soil prevents dry pockets.

Plants like people - plants seem to be happier being inspected, handled, breathed on, maybe even listen to your music or talk. I remove leaves that are 50% degraded, I continue to fix leaves that cover buds (just bend or move the leaf under the bud), i rotate the plants ever few days (with ten gallon pots, just turn them). I can add more soil during any stage. Spend more time with your plants and both of you might improve in health!

gallery_15246_564_727387.jpg

gallery_15246_564_854331.jpg

gallery_15246_564_287001.jpg

more photos later.

DN

for those reading:

FIM = flower I missed. It's when you are trying to top a plant, but you miss and leave a part of the growing tip. You basically want to cut the growing tip in half to fim a plant. It's similar to topping, doesn't necessarily produce two top colas, but it will slow down the plants growth (good for sativas and fast growers)and doesn't stress the plant as much.

to bend, you need to use wire/strings and/or weights to bend plants. Be careful that you do not bend the plant in half creating a knuckle, this will drastically slow down the plants growth. You can wrap copper wire (sheathed or unsheathed) around the branches or main stalk (i prebend the wire around my finger, stretch it out to make it longer, then weave it around the plant), and then shape the branch by bending the wire. This helps hold the shape and gives the plant support.

DN, on your grow:

Metallic wall coverings are the worst things to use. They are not very reflective, and do not produce an even reflection which can cause hot spots and burn plants. Use something white, you will see your room light up a lot better. I used tyvek in my rooms, almost need sunglasses in my flower room.

You would only need 10gal pots if you are vegging for 7-8 months, IMO you are wasting soil and nutes. I have never needed anything more than a 5 gal pot indoors (from 10yrs of growing).

MJ likes deep pots, they like to be able to grow deep roots. MJ has a deep tap root. I would go with pots that are deeper than they are wider.

FIM is actually Fuuck I Missed. It was developed by accident by a grower in SC.

The FIM method is used to produce multiple tops from the cut where its made. Instead of producing twin colas with traditional topping, FIM will produce up to 8

More info on FIM vs Topping:

http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/18782-fim-vs-topping.html

I prefer Panda Film. It blocks light nearly 100% and a roll only runs about $89. Using my drop tile ceiling grid in my basement, i was able to make four seperate grow areas within the same room. The white side is an excellent reflector and i dont get any "hot spots". Thanks, Medcnman.

I prefer Panda Film. It blocks light nearly 100% and a roll only runs about $89. Using my drop tile ceiling grid in my basement, i was able to make four seperate grow areas within the same room. The white side is an excellent reflector and i dont get any "hot spots". Thanks, Medcnman.

Are those 4 separarte grow areas in compliance with Grow Room Czar Schuette's requirements ;):lol:

What's the poop on guano's?

I've been having a lot of success with Sea Bird, Jamacan, and Indonesian.

Been moving away from bottled nutes as much as possible.

Thanks for the tips! I had to do some supercropping last night. It stunts the plants growth less than topping and frankly, it's just easier and requires no tools.

I used to be a big proponent of mylar, but I have had plants near the walls in my flowering room dry up and die the last two grows. I'm thinking the mylar hotspots could be to blame. I imagine a light mover would remove the problem?

Appreciate the tips!

Spend more time with your plants and both of you might improve in health!

Truth.

I spend a lot of time with my plants listening to music, tucking leaves, and just admiring their beauty. I'm a newb grower so its a really wonderous thing for me to watch them flower. For the first time in about 15 years my annual case of seasonal affective disorder has not made me a grouch this Fall. I attribute it to light therapy from the HID and the fact that nurturing cannabis plants is a therapeutic practice. :jig:

Beautiful plants, and the finished meds look incredible!

I had taken the mylar from my previous grow room, so it looks beat. I actually use this insulation from Home Depot, it has reflective on both sides and the middle is like bubble wrap. I believed the crinkle surface of the mylar reduced hot spots, the mylar is also lightly tacked on, so the fan causes it to move.

I have been considering smaller pots. Consider that at the time I came to 10 gallon pots I was working construction and that cost me days in the grow. So the 10 gallon pot was just to insure that I could go a few days without watering. I plan to scale down to 7 gallon pots. I have not found any DEEP pots, I liked the Plant Warrior pots with the dome inside, but its not deep.

DN

Appreciate the tips!

Truth.

I spend a lot of time with my plants listening to music, tucking leaves, and just admiring their beauty. I'm a newb grower so its a really wonderous thing for me to watch them flower. For the first time in about 15 years my annual case of seasonal affective disorder has not made me a grouch this Fall. I attribute it to light therapy from the HID and the fact that nurturing cannabis plants is a therapeutic practice. :jig:

Beautiful plants, and the finished meds look incredible!

It is true, I wake up with the lights so on dark fall/winter days I am still being exposed to bright light. This is important as the body stresses due to losing its light/dark cycle. I get my coffee, pack a bong hit and sit on the floor as I wake up. My dog lays in the room with me. There is a symbiotic relationship between this plant and man. I don't think corn or tomatoes have the same relationship - because this plant is my medicine, my lifeline. I have such respect for the marijuana plant.

Someday, try my Wonder haze.

DN

Are those 4 separarte grow areas in compliance with Grow Room Czar Schuette's requirements ;):lol:

What's the poop on guano's?

I've been having a lot of success with Sea Bird, Jamacan, and Indonesian.

Been moving away from bottled nutes as much as possible.

Ya just never know these days, but all 4 seperate grow areas are behind one locked door which is also behind another locked door. Thanks, Medcnman.

Nice, healthy lookn girls.I use the stakes in my grows too except I like to use them to support and pull in branches, to reduce the footprint of the plant.I find a tomato cage and stakes is the easiest way to train and support the plant, I had a hard time doing it with just plant stakes and plant tie.I like the plants to all take up about the same space under the light.

• 2 weeks later...

one's success w lg containers is dependent on oxygen levels primarily. it's too easy to overwater. supplemental coarse perlite can make a huge difference. sufficient veg time, light coverage and co2 are a given. w experience, 60- 90 days veg should be enough time to develop a substantial root system.

green plastic twisty-tie on a spool, the ultimate.

I collected a bunch of #5 pots from a friend that works at a nursery, about 9" in diameter and 14" deep, my plants seem to be loving these. smaller pots will also give you a little more head room.

I'm telling ya, white is 100x better than myler or reflective insulation. ;) even just white paint is better.

lots of nice looking crystals though!

Not meaning to hijack the thread but can I get a grow tip on this . It seemed like a good place to ask for assistance about why they aren't flowering ?

I started 4 plants at the same time two are 14 inches foot tall , one is about 6 inches and the last is about 2 foot they have 5 , 3 , and 7 nodes respectfully and are all in the same ebb and flow hydro tank it has been 12 weeks and I ph the water constantly , they are healthy and I add my nutrients every time I top off for evaporation and adjust PH with water temp near 70 with a small aquarium heater ( the room stays about 60 ) . I have newer broad spectrum lamps with highlighted red HPS bulbs - they should be fine . Only the last plant has filled in well but if they grow twice their size in flower my space will be full ebb and flow tank is about 21 by 38 inches ( I know small ) 15 gallon resevior with air pump and good stone no Co2 . They are F1's . I have some very low THC plants high in CBD started a month before that are 13 leafers and keep a 400 watt lamp about 4 inches off them and have trimmed them so the others can catch up .The plants are all over 60 days old . Can I start to flower ? To be honest even though the 6 inch is just developing the 4th node I put the lights from 18 hours down to 12 and nothing after two weeks . The good thing is in 5 grows and with terrible previous results on male to female and even a few hermie issues from numerous power outages they all appear to be female . I actually was hoping one of the two regular f1 seeds would be male for breeding with a second feminized strain . I am under count I may start another plant or one day see if anyone is keeping pollen from F1's around Ann Arbor they may share . But my question is again why no conversion to flower yet ? Not even the largest and 14 week plants .

Not meaning to hijack the thread but can I get a grow tip on this . It seemed like a good place to ask for assistance about why they aren't flowering ?

I started 4 plants at the same time two are 14 inches foot tall , one is about 6 inches and the last is about 2 foot they have 5 , 3 , and 7 nodes respectfully and are all in the same ebb and flow hydro tank it has been 12 weeks and I ph the water constantly , they are healthy and I add my nutrients every time I top off for evaporation and adjust PH with water temp near 70 with a small aquarium heater ( the room stays about 60 ) . I have newer broad spectrum lamps with highlighted red HPS bulbs - they should be fine . Only the last plant has filled in well but if they grow twice their size in flower my space will be full ebb and flow tank is about 21 by 38 inches ( I know small ) 15 gallon resevior with air pump and good stone no Co2 . They are F1's . I have some very low THC plants high in CBD started a month before that are 13 leafers and keep a 400 watt lamp about 4 inches off them and have trimmed them so the others can catch up .The plants are all over 60 days old . Can I start to flower ? To be honest even though the 6 inch is just developing the 4th node I put the lights from 18 hours down to 12 and nothing after two weeks . The good thing is in 5 grows and with terrible previous results on male to female and even a few hermie issues from numerous power outages they all appear to be female . I actually was hoping one of the two regular f1 seeds would be male for breeding with a second feminized strain . I am under count I may start another plant or one day see if anyone is keeping pollen from F1's around Ann Arbor they may share . But my question is again why no conversion to flower yet ? Not even the largest and 14 week plants .

Even with 18hour light cycle, I believe all plants will show pre-sex - a small female pistil at the joint of the leaf stem.

If i read correctly - you started the 12hours cycle about 2 weeks ago? I would say 'any day now'. if you have any light leakage - it might prevent the plant from 'seeing' 12 hours, if the light leaks enough - it could stay in veg.

now, as far as the height - 6" growth sounds bad for a plant that you spent so much time vegging - If I grew the wonder haze for 60 days, i would have a 7"+ tree! some strains can be short, and perhaps the fact you had the HPS light so close to the top, maybe it did not stretch. I would like to see this plant (photo?) is the stem size large?

When can you flower a plant? - From seed - after it shows its presex - usually a month in veg.

Clones - are from mature female plants - as soon as a clone roots - you can flower it. You veg that clone - because you know a bigger plant yeilds more. But the potency will be the same.

DN

Even with 18hour light cycle, I believe all plants will show pre-sex - a small female pistil at the joint of the leaf stem.

If i read correctly - you started the 12hours cycle about 2 weeks ago? I would say 'any day now'. if you have any light leakage - it might prevent the plant from 'seeing' 12 hours, if the light leaks enough - it could stay in veg.

now, as far as the height - 6" growth sounds bad for a plant that you spent so much time vegging - If I grew the wonder haze for 60 days, i would have a 7"+ tree! some strains can be short, and perhaps the fact you had the HPS light so close to the top, maybe it did not stretch. I would like to see this plant (photo?) is the stem size large?

When can you flower a plant? - From seed - after it shows its presex - usually a month in veg.

Clones - are from mature female plants - as soon as a clone roots - you can flower it. You veg that clone - because you know a bigger plant yeilds more. But the potency will be the same.

DN

Thanks the small plant must of been a weak seed there is nothing to see and I am not up for pictures . I think I made the big mistake many do when germinating not being patient . With my system until the tap roots get into the well out of the clay pots they grow slow but once they make it outside the pot into the common flood plane they take off . This was a set up from the early Canadian MM that nobody believes but I honestly used to grow tomato's as a hobby under the guidance of Alabama Hydroponics instruction for 4 h competition . ( just found him on ebay excited to share with people the wonder of growing vegtables ) . If I get it together I want to start doing that again with sidelight . It wont be me but wouldnt it be neat for a MM patient to win a vegtable award at the State Fair .

Archived