The Michigan Medical Marihuana Provisioning Act Hb5580 (dispensary Bill)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion Jamie has been pretty honest as far as this bill and his participation in it. As far as large commercial grows time will tell how that particular wording plays out, I have a feeling PAAM will throw a fit about it. Or maybe they won't knowing it is leading the sheep to the slaughter. Bottom line tho is this bill is in its infancy and has a long way to go before being law. If you have problems with certain sections make it known to your reps.

Restless, 4 or 5 people doesn't make a majority. Just as dear leader has said CPU doesn't represent the community neither do the four of you that have the problem. You are a part of the community and you have just as much right to your opinion as anyway else but it carries only as much weight as everyones else's as well. I am sure Dear Leader is making a big deal out of this bill on his site, what woudl you expect? It doesn't include his beloved farmers market... Altruistic or criminal?..All in the eye of the beholder.

, I absolutely guarantee, many people such as the CPU reps here, would be blasting it and specifically spelling out what the issues are.

Mainly, for right now, I encourage people to continue making it clear to your own Reps, to vote NO on 4834.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of those statements.

CPU is neutral on dispensaries, but we will raise the flags if it intrudes on the MMMAct, infringes on the caregiver system, or tries to impinge on home growing. That has been the CPU position for a couple years.

But more and most importantly in the short term, EVERYONE, please call your reps and oppose HB 4834. Time is if the essence. Speak now or forever be a whiney biitch that didnt do anything to stop it. :-)

Heh.

Thanks.

(thought i would try the scolding to increase phone calls this time)

We will have plenty of time to address this dispensary bill. We were told if HB 4834 does not pass, they will definitely not even address the dispensary bill. So, it is what it is.... oppose 4834.

It is now or never.

The proposed massive grow in the U.P would be akin to Wal Mart coming in. Nothing in 5580 could create similar circumstances. And, yes, Wal Mart is responsible for closing down smaller stores when it comes into an area. The Canadian copper mine grow would infringe on the caregiver system, unlike 5580.

Again, I don't believe anything until it happens. Politicians say a lot of things and posture on certain issues for various reasons. The dispensary bill has just been introduced and has a long process to go- that is true. I believe that a Rep probably said something very similar to what Malamute stated, but until it happens, it didn't happen. I still remain optimistic about it in the House, based on the support it has, and the sense it makes, but I am completely aware that anything can happen including bad language getting passed and this bill getting stepped on.

Whether or not the bills on the floor are addressed this week or next, it appears to be coming down sooner than later.

I've waited and read, then re-read the bill. I currently don't see anything in this bill that hurts the Cg/Pt model. In fact it seems as though it gives both parties more options. Also I didn't find anywhere that patients must use a provisioning center. Or that Provisioning Centers must have an industrial grow.

If it were to pass as is, I'd be fine with it. It didn't seem to threaten the current Cg/Pt laws.

I am of the opinion Jamie has been pretty honest as far as this bill and his participation in it. As far as large commercial grows time will tell how that particular wording plays out, I have a feeling PAAM will throw a fit about it. Or maybe they won't knowing it is leading the sheep to the slaughter. Bottom line tho is this bill is in its infancy and has a long way to go before being law. If you have problems with certain sections make it known to your reps.

Restless, 4 or 5 people doesn't make a majority. Just as dear leader has said CPU doesn't represent the community neither do the four of you that have the problem. You are a part of the community and you have just as much right to your opinion as anyway else but it carries only as much weight as everyones else's as well. I am sure Dear Leader is making a big deal out of this bill on his site, what woudl you expect? It doesn't include his beloved farmers market... Altruistic or criminal?..All in the eye of the beholder.

Here we go again. Your attitude stinks. It is My Opinion and saying on one hand I have my own then on the other hand you infer I don't have brain enough to think for myself is absurd. I do believe in the Farmers Market and would No Matter who is in charge of them. I am sick and tired of the BS that is thrown about here. I only see two of you really putting this forth as such a wonderful bill we should all be so thankful to you all for it? What's that about? It needs to be reworked period. It is not good as it stands, period. I don't agree with the dispensaries being allowed to grow, period. I do see some good things in it but the things that should be changed really suck, period. I know it will be changed because it won't pass as it is, we all know that. This was a pick apart discussion and should have been left at that but now it has come to insults from both of you. How many threads to we need on this subject? It is obvious that some egos are at play instead of just having a discussion. When you insult the person and not the idea then you are in the wrong. You all like to have the final word you've go it as far as I'm concerned.

I am just keeping it real with you Restless. You said YOU were speaking for the majority not me. Keep in mind I also see everything you have said at other places on the web. So lets all cut thru the BS, shall we?

Edited by SFC

I just don't understand all the hostility towards this bill. This seems like a fairly reasonable attempt to create a legitimate marketplace for medical marijuana in addition to the existing caregiver system.

There is room for Wal-Marts, Meijers, roadside garden stands, and farmer's markets. Why would it be different for medical marijuana? It is true that when a mega-store moves in small businesses can suffer, but there is a flip-side to that coin, too. The reason that small business suffer is largely because the mega stores drive prices down for consumers. In the medical marijuana community consumers=patients, so if mega 'stores/grows' is driving caregivers out of business because they can provide the same medicine for lower prices, then isn't that good for patients? (You know, the ones we all agree this is really about?)

This seems to be a complementary distribution channel. I heard an interview with the Senator on public radio. He was admittedly against medical marijuana, but stated that the people clearly want a medical marijuana program in this state, and that this works to solve two problems. First, it provides another access point (in addition to) the current caregiver system (for those who can't find, have trouble with, or simply those who don't want caregivers) while simultaneously creating a legitimate marketplace to keep caregivers' and patients' excess medicine out of the black market. I tend to agree.

I am just keeping it real with you Restless. You said YOU were speaking for the majority not me. Keep in mind I also see everything you have said at other places on the web. So lets all cut thru the BS, shall we?

OH Gawd you make me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!

If the smarmy red tape costs the same as registering as a patient its all good but if the price tag to serve unlimited card holders is restrictive than its big money wins again monopoly at its finest.I'll let you in on a little secret it grows better on a poor mans funny than a rich mans money

Maybe you missed the question;

Why did you submit language that allows for large commercial grows when you know that it is what most of us patients and caregivers, and the feds, don't want? Please answer the question.

When did they do the survey?

And please note that is different than most people want small grows.

Just because someone wants large grows doesn't automatically mean they are against small grows.

I just don't understand all the hostility towards this bill. This seems like a fairly reasonable attempt to create a legitimate marketplace for medical marijuana in addition to the existing caregiver system.

There is room for Wal-Marts, Meijers, roadside garden stands, and farmer's markets. Why would it be different for medical marijuana? It is true that when a mega-store moves in small businesses can suffer, but there is a flip-side to that coin, too. The reason that small business suffer is largely because the mega stores drive prices down for consumers. In the medical marijuana community consumers=patients, so if mega 'stores/grows' is driving caregivers out of business because they can provide the same medicine for lower prices, then isn't that good for patients? (You know, the ones we all agree this is really .

the problem is after walmart closes down main street with savings prices go back up

How do these commercial grows hurt the caregiver system? They are only for supplying the dispensaries which are outside of the current patient/caregiver system. As a matter of fact, how does this effect patients or caregivers in any way other that giving an additional avenue for sale or purchase.

I don't see where this bill would take anything from anyone.

Depending on one's local ordnance's a caregiver could be forced to pay a city lic fee and be forced to grow in a co op type warehouse set up as a secure cultivation facility.

Take a look at Lincoln park's ordnance. ( it will require some patience to find the 2 parts of it passed in 2010.

Now I would not be alarmed if the ordnance's stated that they were for the purpose of supplying a distribution center. But as I understand the ordnance's are ment to curtail my right to grow on my property.

What I have a problem with is the following definition of a secure cultivation facility.

2 (j) "Secure cultivation facility" means a nonresidential

building or location within a nonresidential building that is

equipped with locks or other security devices to prevent

unauthorized entry.

This is a back door to defining a " Secure cultivation facility ." And where we can grow!!

If anyone can not read the clear text right before your eyes, I'll loan you my glasses.

​Which leaves the door open to a city creating a ordnance that that provides for one care giver to cultivate within x amount of distance from another cultivator. Think about the court cases we have posted on this site.....In one case a caregiver had his plants in a bedroom the front door was locked but not the bed room. What happened? The second case dealt with a dog kennel wrapped and covered, the wind blew off some of the covering. what happened? The CoA has laid down some basic guidelines for a " Secure cultivation facility " through it rulings.

​Now if there was a statement in the above definition that allowed for in home or in a fenced in shed cultivation I would be less apprehensive about the bill.

Edited by Fat Freddy

How can a dispensary charge less than a caregiver if they are supplying themselves by using caregivers?

:-)

WalMart doesnt buy from their competitors.

Heh.

No markups?

Just messin with ya.

Then it should say that. It should say they will be supplied by MICHIGAN caregivers and patients that have overages. And slap a $100,000 fine on them if the get caught buying somewhere else. Just spell it out in plain wording. I would be behind a dispensary like that 100%. And I bet the feds would leave them alone too.

the problem is after walmart closes down main street with savings prices go back up

My cost at a farmers market was 10 a gram. Dispensary cost... 15 to 20 a gram. Yeah I know they have overhead, but the quality was just as good at the farmers market.

FF, you should be calling and writing Rep Calton and let him know you want Farmers markets. Farmers markets were never in the MPP bill of last summer if my memory serves me. We are all for them FF but the people that use them need to be lobbying for them.

We see what Calton has cooking, large commercial monopoly grows. He's only a few words away. He's so confident he makes a press release about it. He took the 'hand-off' from Kuiper. Farm Markets, or anything else that cuts him out the loop, are far from his mind. It's been a while since Kuiper tried it, they think they waited long enough, time to dive for the end zone.

If Rep Callton decides, at some point, that he likes Kuipers concept or prefers that all the medicine be grown in an old copper mine up north, he would have to completely withdraw 5580 and submit a new, restrictive and prohibitive, bill that would require a super majority as opposed to the simple majority required of 5580 now. 5580 only requires a simple majority because it does not change the MMMA or infringe on the caregiver system.

If Rep Callton decides, at some point, that he likes Kuipers concept or prefers that all the medicine be grown in an old copper mine up north, he would have to completely withdraw 5580 and submit a new, restrictive and prohibitive, bill that would require a super majority as opposed to the simple majority required of 5580 now. 5580 only requires a simple majority because it does not change the MMMA or infringe on the caregiver system.

Or so you think. I don't agree. I'm looking at what could happen with their intent weighed in heavily. You are stating things as fact that you do not know. This could take some twists and turns that we can only predict from past intent and actions. Your wording opens doors that should be left closed.