Timeframe On Average To Go From Clear To Milky To Amber

I have tried searching YT vids, but haven't found anything to indicate roughly how long (time duration) on average it takes for trichomes to change from clear, to milky, to amber. I had never used a microscope in old times, so have no experience here either. I am reading that small % of amber is desirable, like 30-40%, but want to try leaving them in the dark for a few days and not sure when to start.

Check them every day. You might have gotten a cut from a buddy that took 60 days to finish. The same cut could take 50 days or 70 days to finish in your grow. You buddy might have had 10% amber one day and 40% three days later. It might take 1 day or 10 days for you to see the same progression. All you can do the first time through is make an educated guess. And you get a little more accurate each time. Temperature, humidity, strength of plant the day put in flower, bugs, and a million other things will affect harvest timing.

Sorry there isn't a cut and dry answer.

Edited: "Cut and dry" pun intended

Edited by Highlander

Thanks folks, I see now that there was some feedback! I have 3 scopes now, I got for less than $13, so you can imagine what I am seeing, haha! My best, the 30x burned out the LED, so even worse. I am guessing I saw .5-1% and read about putting into 2-3 day dark period.

Any feedback regarding last days in darkness bringing out the resins? Thanks again!

Thanks folks, I see now that there was some feedback! I have 3 scopes now, I got for less than $13, so you can imagine what I am seeing, haha! My best, the 30x burned out the LED, so even worse. I am guessing I saw .5-1% and read about putting into 2-3 day dark period.

Any feedback regarding last days in darkness bringing out the resins? Thanks again!

I don't know anybody who would say that there is a huge benefit to the last days in darkness. I know from experience that the best yield and quality results from quality growing conditions from the very start. The last few days won't make much of a difference. If you had a good grow, a few days in the dark probably won't make your meds stand out that much better. If you had a bad grow, a few days in the dark won't correct it.

Myself, the best benefit that I have seen from putting plants in the dark is that I don't have to harvest them but can still move them out from under the lamps in the flush cycle and move the next batch in.

Edited by Highlander

Very strain dependent, but it's not like an overnight thing. From when you see cloudy you usually have a few weeks before you're going to see a bit of amber showing up.

Some will wait till they see the first signs of amber and then start flushing for a couple of weeks. Soma once told me when they look ready to chop, give em a couple more weeks. Point being, you're not going to miss your window overnight.

I'll also add, in twenty years I have not come across many strains at all that don't like a good 70 day flower. If someone says they got a 45-50 day strain, take it with a grain o salt. For the most part they get better.

Thanks for all the updates folks! I was going by the seller's info, stating 7 weeks to finish, but I believe I still have 90+% clear heads after like 58 days. It wouldn't surprise me if seller's embellish the days to finish to sell more seed.

The odd thing seems to be there are a very few ambers with most of the others appearing clear. The plants themselves look finished to me, but that is because I never scoped one which was truly finished.

Good to hear feedback on dark period also, since I have not tried that either. I plugged the light back in and will continue to monitor, since they only lost and hour or 2 today.

Very strain dependent, but it's not like an overnight thing. From when you see cloudy you usually have a few weeks before you're going to see a bit of amber showing up.

Some will wait till they see the first signs of amber and then start flushing for a couple of weeks. Soma once told me when they look ready to chop, give em a couple more weeks. Point being, you're not going to miss your window overnight.

I'll also add, in twenty years I have not come across many strains at all that don't like a good 70 day flower. If someone says they got a 45-50 day strain, take it with a grain o salt. For the most part they get better.

If ANYone has the look of experience, it is Soma! haha Have you seen the "pineapple is very good today" videos on YT (posted by urbanRemo I think)? The amsterdam police raided the cup, and Soma tells the cops "no way man, this is MY medicinne and you are not taking it!" - good schtuff!! hehe

Guessing mine could go to 70 days also, so we'll see!

Thanks for all the updates folks! I was going by the seller's info, stating 7 weeks to finish, but I believe I still have 90+% clear heads after like 58 days. It wouldn't surprise me if seller's embellish the days to finish to sell more seed.

The odd thing seems to be there are a very few ambers with most of the others appearing clear. The plants themselves look finished to me, but that is because I never scoped one which was truly finished.

Good to hear feedback on dark period also, since I have not tried that either. I plugged the light back in and will continue to monitor, since they only lost and hour or 2 today.

I think the darkness comes in when you cure it, after it is dry you put it in jars in a dark place and pop the lids for around 15 mins a day, if you do it to long all of your meds taiste the same so watch for that, and alot of people, or shall i say c.g's dont cure it at all, they have the dryer nets they use and when it is dry it goes out the door, I always cure my mm from my c.g and what i grow<< i believe in it, some may not, but, I do what is best for me and my pt and I also dont always wait till there is amber in the trics, ive cut em when they were 90% clear becaues of circumstances and was mildly surprised at how potent it was!

Peace

Jim

I think the darkness comes in when you cure it, after it is dry you put it in jars in a dark place and pop the lids for around 15 mins a day, if you do it to long all of your meds taiste the same so watch for that, and alot of people, or shall i say c.g's dont cure it at all, they have the dryer nets they use and when it is dry it goes out the door, I always cure my mm from my c.g and what i grow<< i believe in it, some may not, but, I do what is best for me and my pt and I also dont always wait till there is amber in the trics, ive cut em when they were 90% clear becaues of circumstances and was mildly surprised at how potent it was!

Peace

Jim

Some folks claim/believe that the plants can sense when the lights should come on and when they don't, they start making more resin in preparation for their reaper. However, lots of folks believe lots of things which aren't necessarily factual, so just gathering feedback I can weigh. I too agree with curing, and believe it helps to remove the chlorophyl, but just my experience, no facts. Thanks!

You have a good week once you start seeing amber; but make sure your looking at the stalked tric's not the low or the single cell stalks, the tall ones take longer to turn amber. You'll see your callaxes swell and the white or purple hairs will start to brown out. Check for emerging white hairs and if your still getting them popping out; wait... Another tell tale sign is little towers like donkey ears on the tops of your buds. Your plants will plump in the last few weeks and if you harvest early your substantially reducing your yield. While clear trics give a more up effect; my pain is where it's at so more amber is always better for me. 40-50% amber and I'll take her down. Start your flush two weeks before and watch your leaves yellow and magenta all the way up the plant. Your ash will be bone white and the smoke will be as soft as air until it hits your lungs; expansion is an amazing thing! :) Once you have grown that same strain you'll be able to dial it in more and know more precisely when she'll be ready. The whole key is knowing your plants and knowing what your body needs for medication to alleviate your ailment.

I have learned some sativa's really do not get amber at least very little. You can also let them go TOO LONG waiting for amber LOL like I did and it makes for a harsh taste and weaker effect. It seems if you feel like its ready it probably is. 60-70 days on my original amnesias and they were clear and cloudy 50/50 some amber came it at 80+ days which was too long.

I have learned some sativa's really do not get amber at least very little. You can also let them go TOO LONG waiting for amber LOL like I did and it makes for a harsh taste and weaker effect. It seems if you feel like its ready it probably is. 60-70 days on my original amnesias and they were clear and cloudy 50/50 some amber came it at 80+ days which was too long.

Berry Interesting! I wonder if anyone else has seen this. Thanks!

I just took down a Medusa plant @ 10 weeks that had no amber and only about 20% cloudy. I have no idea how long it would have taken to get to the 20 - 30% amber I usually look for (for harvest time) but didnt want to wait it out. We have no room for a legit 12-14wk strain. As far as trichomes changing...once you get close (2 wks before) to your expected harvest time I would be checking them @ least every other day. Things can change quickly and even a strain your familiar with can ripen earlier or later than expected due to growing conditions (stess, nutes, pests).

Edited by Mickeydee