House And Senate Voted To Amend The Act Last Night

They were not initiated to do good for patients or caregivers. In the end, however, a few of the changes may have positive effects for a few patients. In addition, only a small number of people will be negatively effected, and we can minimize that through education. That is the best that can be said about the bills in the end.

Totally agree but I think a large number of people/patients/caregivers will be negatively effected.

Edited by Restorium2

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did this argument change the fact that the bills are passed? This is the world we live in now, we will challenge some of it, we will adjust to some of it, and we will unhappily live with the rest. It is up to us how we move forward. But we are doing so, and they were unable to kill the program.

Well said Zapatosunidos.

They were not initiated to do good for patients or caregivers. In the end, however, a few of the changes may have positive effects for a few patients. In addition, only a small number of people will be negatively effected, and we can minimize that through education. That is the best that can be said about the bills in the end.

Positive Effects for some patients I sure hope that includes me and Torey and Larry and the rest of the people that are in the court system

Will this help people that are in court?

Will this help people that are in court?

You know bob, I hate to say it, but I think thats what was meant by it may help some but not others!

I cant help but think if 3ma hadnt splintered so much, We/You would be in much better shape,

I know I wasn't the best team player at times, but im sorry I cant follow people I dont agree or beleive in! I try my best to find out there motives, and in the end, well there motives are completly self motivated!

Peace My Friend

Jim

You know bob, I hate to say it, but I think thats what was meant by it may help some but not others!

I cant help but think if 3ma hadnt splintered so much, We/You would be in much better shape,

I know I wasn't the best team player at times, but im sorry I cant follow people I dont agree or beleive in! I try my best to find out there motives, and in the end, well there motives are completly self motivated!

Peace My Friend

Jim

No, it's not our fault at all. It's the legislature. They are doing whatever they want. We should be proud because this was the ONE TIME we all stood together in solidarity. We stood together as one against these bills. It was our best moment in history since our law passed. We stood up together.

i dont understand why u all bash on pb,i dont see the majority of you bashers doing anytghing but talk trash and bash people for their opinions i thinks its bs

keep up the good work pb

Well FC420 didnt seem i was bashing PB at all, was pointing out the name calling. hey if its ok with them they should have no problem with it.

No, it's not our fault at all. It's the legislature. They are doing whatever they want. We should be proud because this was the ONE TIME we all stood together in solidarity. We stood together as one against these bills. It was our best moment in history since our law passed. We stood up together.

Proud of what, that a-holes got dollar signs in their eyes and drew neg attin to us! so we had no choice but to fight for the rights people voted for?

Peace

Jim

edit= and the protest at the capital was a good thing huh? a medicine tent , was any one in there doing their vicodens and passing there bottle around for the other pt's?

Edited by phaquetoo

Proud of what, that a-holes got dollar signs in their eyes and drew neg attin to us! so we had no choice but to fight for the rights people voted for?

Peace

Jim

edit= and the protest at the capital was a good thing huh? a medicine tent , was any one in there doing their vicodens and passing there bottle around for the other pt's?

No, not a protest. The solidarity letter that was handed to every legislator. We all stood together. All groups, all of us let them know that we didn't want or need these bills. It happened. It's true history. It was our strongest, most united, moment.

Notice to Michigan House of Representative Members: 4/16/2012

We the undersigned in unity OPPOSE HB 4834 and officially request a No vote from you, our Representatives, on the proposed bill, to avoid the nullifying of Patients and Caregivers civil and constitutional rights, privileges and protections. HB 4834 would directly remove the most vital and keystone protections currently afforded patients. Patient and caregiver information would no longer be strictly confidential, and their private medical treatment choice will be available to a near endless list of authorized "officials" including "Security Personnel" or "Recreation Officers" hired by the State or local townships who have no need for such sensitive information. HB 4834 will allow officers or security personnel to easily gain access to the registry without a warrant. We, the undersigned, find this unacceptable. <--- We the undersigned won this and had it removed

HB 4834 would also remove probable cause protections for the simple possession of a Patient or Caregiver Identification Card. HB 4834 would allow authorities to search the person or property of a citizen whom is legally in possession of a marihuana registry identification card, "or other-wise subject the person or property of the person to inspection by any local, county or state governmental agency” for the mere possession of an identification card. MCL 333.26426(g). <---- We the undersigned had this removed

Currently, when a patient or caregiver presents their valid card to an official, they are not subject to inspection, search or seizure of their person or property. HB 4834 would allow an officer to search the patient or caregiver, their vehicle, their home and any other property that patient or Caregiver has, just for the mere possession of a valid registry identification card. <--- We the undersigned had this removed

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act was passed for two compelling reasons. First, to allow sick and disabled patients safe access to medical marihuana, and then most importantly, to protect those patients from law enforcement, court proceedings, forfeiture, and to ensure the confidentiality of participation in the program. We, the under-signed believe these core principles are being intruded upon in HB 4834.

Please Vote against HB 4834.

We, the undersigned, request a No vote from you, our Representatives, on HB 4851 and HB 4856. In their current form, these bills are unacceptable and place unattainable requirements upon patients and their caregivers. In HB 4856, the requirement for patients or caregivers when traveling in a vehicle with no trunk, a motorcycle, an ATV or a bicycle are completely objectionable because of the unreasonable language added to the bill 3/29/2012. As we understand it, a patient or caregiver would need to strap their medicine to the roof of their vehicle to make it "inaccessible" from the interior of the vehicle and anyone on a motorcycle or bicycle cannot satisfy this requirement at all. <--- We the undersigned managed to get the language changed from "inaccessible" to "not readily accessible"

In HB 4851, the amended language to Section 8 Affirmative Defense does not allow equal access to the court sys-tem for patients and caregivers to present a medical marijuana defense. This is still discriminatory and must be amended. Realize there has been no successful use of the affirmative defense at the Court of Appeals level. To further limit a patients and caregivers right to mount a defense is totally unacceptable to most Americans. <---We the undersigned fixed this language BEFORE the Supreme court hearing and matches what the SUpreme Court says

We the undersigned, in unity, request full opposition to HB 4834 because it is a bill born from ill intentions and will destroy the most cherished and vital protections of patients and their caregivers. We also request opposition to HB 4851 and HB 4856 due to improper language which creates unattainable requirements.

Anyhow.

I understand why people are pisssed off. I definitely wanted these to fail. I am mad about the felon issue beyonfd belief, i think the transportation bill is completely retarded, I would want better and easier standards for outdoor grows etc etc etc etc.

But, people need to wake up and smell the coffee because what little they(legislators) managed to do is miniscule to what they almost did. We managed to kill a package of 8 bills down to 4 bills. We managed to neuter most of the language in comparison to what they really wanted and the program is not ruined as it would have been.

We fought these bills down to the last minute. Just the fact we made it so difficult to pass for them is a miracle in and of itself. This congress in Michigan are serious Aholes who do and did wtvr the heck they wanted and screwed everyone they could. Noone seems to care they passed 7 new abortion bills, a new emergency manager law, made logging companies not have to pay property taxes, cut mental health funding.... i can keep going.

Whether anyone believes it or not, we are lucky to escape with minimal injuries from this Legislature.

The Bona fide language in 4851 is LESS restrictive than the current definition from LARA.

I dunno.

Be happy they didnt just repeal it like they did in Montana. Many wanted to.

Next step for "us" is to get LARA to send every single patient, caregiver and physician a letter explaining all the new changes in the law. :-)

Let us see if we can make that happen.

... Whether anyone believes it or not, we are lucky to escape with minimal injuries from this Legislature.

Agreed. If anything, some of the gray areas are no longer...well...gray. And for that, I am glad the bills passed.

Are these bills ideal for everyone involved? No. But I cannot imagine what law would be "ideal" when dealing with an issue that is still considered highly illegal in the Federal Government's eyes. I'm just thankful that we still, at the end of the day, have our medical marijuana law that allows us to (get this) legally cultivate and use marijuana. What a trip, right?

Maybe, one day in the future, we'll have total legalization on a nation-wide level. Maybe not. But to continue forward is going to take a lot of time, cool heads, and a lot of education to purge the public (and legislature) of erroneous, bigoted, and plain asinine beliefs that are held by those who are ignorant (or unwilling to believe) of the true miracle that Cannabis is, and can be.

So, for now, I'm placated, and optimistic toward the future.

Edited by Juan Roberto

If the changes go into effect immediatey does that extend the expiration of current card holders for another year? If so are they going to reissue cards with a corrected expiration date or will we need to be recertified and reapply?

Don't have an answer, but have an educated guess. Our cards will expire and when we renew, we get the two year deal.

More ideally, they should have given terminally ill people a life long card.

I dunno.

Be happy they didnt just repeal it like they did in Montana. Many wanted to.

Next step for "us" is to get LARA to send every single patient, caregiver and physician a letter explaining all the new changes in the law. :-)

Let us see if we can make that happen.

Yes please. That would provide a uniform statement to law enforcement also.

The sooner, the better.

Oh .. I asked for more funding for LARA.

Anyone remember me calling it the theft of funds from patients?

Edited by peanutbutter

The outdoor language may very well make densely populated areas difficult to grow outdoors. But for country folk it should be pretty easy to comply.

Out of all of the posts I have read so far I have to agree with you SFC on this statement.

Reading the language of the law I see I will need to do a little more jumping through hoops to be in compliance.

Namely finding a economical way to obscure ground lvl line of sight into my grow. Not real happy with that. Because I have to find a source of income to do this with but at least I do not need to cover it now. I'll take that as some consultation. Like so many here I am wizzed off, but now I do see some "sunshine" in some of what has passed. I admit that the Reps felt it necessary to pass some laws. I would still like to see the felony thing amended to allow for people with felonies of any type over say 12 years old with no other felonies afterwards to be allowed to be caregivers. Imho I see no issue with doing this. It should not be the purpose of any law to punish someone after the fact of a conviction. Yes I do realize that they are looking to protect the people from potential harm. Realistically though those that have been clean for that long are less of a risk then some fresh out of the system.

PB, did you submit actual language to the senate? Then they didn't here you.

All I am saying is if our law was going to be opened we could not have hoped to do much better than we did. I have stated several reason why after April when it goes into effect it will be better. I can handle the attacks from the likes of the unhinged from reality or just plain angry at the world. I am happy, proposal 1 of 2008 still lives!