Question For Folks Against Gun Control Laws

washtenaut

Let's say that you are the lone adult that is supervising a group of 5 or 6 teen boys on a camping trip. One of the kids comes to you with a nasty welt he's gotten on his face. He says that he was shot with a BB gun that one of the other kids has smuggled in.

What do you do to resolve the problem?

Do you take the gun away and devise some punishment for the shooter?

Or, would a better idea be to give all the boys BB guns so that they can be on equal footing with the shooter? Maybe .22's would put them in a superior position and then you could be sure that the BB gun owner wouldn't shoot at them anymore.

Which solution would cause less injury to the campers as a group? If you were the adult in control, which would you choose? Maybe you've got a better solution altogether. If it still applies to the gun control discussion, what is it?

(Recall, this is hypothetical. Before you jump down my throat, I don't want anyone to take away all guns from US citizens. See my earlier postings in this thread)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cristine, take a breath.

PB, no nationwide sweep. Most Americans want to KEEP WEAPONS FOR HUNTING AND HOME DEFENSE. Please stop arguing the all or nothing angle as it is not in play.

I would like to ask those that want to have responsible gun ownership rights, how can we lessen the number of these tragic incidents where mentally unstable people get access to these powerful munitions and kill dozens of innocents? I agree that there are multiple prongs to this solution and only one of those involves gun restrictions.

What is that gun restriction though that could help the rest of us survive while still allowing you to sleep soundly at night?

Cristine, take a breath.

PB, no nationwide sweep. Most Americans want to KEEP WEAPONS FOR HUNTING AND HOME DEFENSE. Please stop arguing the all or nothing angle as it is not in play.

I would like to ask those that want to have responsible gun ownership rights, how can we lessen the number of these tragic incidents where mentally unstable people get access to these powerful munitions and kill dozens of innocents? I agree that there are multiple prongs to this solution and only one of those involves gun restrictions.

What is that gun restriction though that could help the rest of us survive while still allowing you to sleep soundly at night?

1. Ban assualt weapons. Quit selling them and take them away when they turn up.

2. Make sure that every school looks at their security and compares it to what happened, start thinking.

3. Help the mentally ill people the best you can.

Cristine, take a breath.

What brought this thread up is a single person. In need of help with mental health issues.

We can't make it illegal to have mental health issues. We could reduce some of these events by promoting more mental health solutions, but that wouldn't prevent every single event.

Taking guns away from EVERYONE to address the single person isn't likely to work.

Please don't hurt everyone by trying to punish the single problem person.

Edited by peanutbutter