Question For Folks Against Gun Control Laws

washtenaut

Not looking to start a gun control battle, but like that earlier poster with the deposit on bullet casings idea, I am looking to see what ideas might be out there.

If you have been for greater gun control in our society, please be open to brainstorming ideas and please refrain from attacking the posters.

If you, generally speaking, have been against gun control laws up until this point, please answer questions 1 and 2:

1) Do you think our society has a problem with guns and gun violence?

2) If yes to number 1, do you have any ideas how to reduce the number or severity of these tragic shooting incidents that we have been seeing?

Historically solutions to this issue posed by gun control folks meet immediate resistance so I thought a better starting point might be to see if the pro gun folks had any constructive ideas. Thanks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one side im pro gun having grown up around responsable gun owners my entire life on the other im very critical on these new bills allowing handguns in churches pre schools and elementry and high schools and sporting events where liquor is served guns and booze dont mix and what if some careless gunowner leaves a loaded pistol where a kid could get it at one of these venues ?

Im torn.

There absolutely is a problem in our country, with the number of innocents being taken out regularly. I get the argument that guns don't kill people, just like cars don't and evil weeds don't. I also undertand the constitutional arguments, made at a time when I believe single shot muskets were the only weapons available.

That is why I figured we might tax the ammo in a way that doesn't penalize responsible firearms enthusiasts. I understand also that some folks still use revolvers and taxing the casings may not be as effective in these cases. However, it seems the high capacity magazines is what allows the extent of the damage we see lately.

There absolutely is a problem in our country, with the number of innocents being taken out regularly. I get the argument that guns don't kill people, just like cars don't and evil weeds don't. I also undertand the constitutional arguments, made at a time when I believe single shot muskets were the only weapons available.

That is why I figured we might tax the ammo in a way that doesn't penalize responsible firearms enthusiasts. I understand also that some folks still use revolvers and taxing the casings may not be as effective in these cases. However, it seems the high capacity magazines is what allows the extent of the damage we see lately.

Michigan should be thankful that I gave away (free) literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds when I moved here, just in case I met some of the same type of idiots I was trying to escape in Fl, here in Mi! ;~}

1. Yes

2. The only way to decrease gun violence is to create a culture that respects life in all situations. A culture of honor and respect for all individuals. And we need to stop the abuses that creates these monsters that take their pain out on others. Until then good people need to defend each other from the bad people.

Every law and control only applies to good people and gives those wanting to do harm an advantage.

This was a tragic event.

The only control that would work would be a complete sweep that removes every single gun in the US. Good luck finding every single one.

Otherwise you have guns left in the hands of criminals. Leaving the general population unarmed and criminals armed.

Was the shooter obeying the law? no .. And I think he stole the gun.

So what are the medical conditions suffered by the shooter? Perhaps we should simply jail everyone with those conditions .. for our protections. After all, they break laws.

Isn't the condition of the person more important than the weapons used by the person?

Does anyone expect that we will arrive at a place that would prevent every single one of these events?

Another solution is to require EVERYONE to have a gun. That actually seems to work in countries where that is applied.

Edited by peanutbutter

#1 I think we have a problem with people who have guns! Guns dont kill People do!

#2 every citizen should be armed to protect their selves and their familys, if we outlawed guns only the criminals would have them!

I have owned guns all of my life, Ive been in lots of drinking problems with the law, I never broke out my loaded gun, I always have a loaded gun in my camper where ever im at, and In my home, my kids all know how to shoot every gun in this house and they know not to even try to find them, or not to touch my guns, (they cant get to them any how, only I can) Its a bunch of b.s If you dont want to own a weapon more power to you! I would unattach my self from any group that says I cant have my weapons. Im not looking to open carry, well only during rifle season and in the woods! but I am allowed to have loaded guns in my home and I do!

Peace

Jim

NO

Leave the guns alone..

Guy in the news ....

he could have had a big machete and still killed , multiple someones,, take the guns , something else will be used..remember the terrorists took over a plane with a box cutter...

What if he went Mcvey.. farm supplies.. let us take farm supplies away..that will stop them...

Edited by Willy

1. Yes, but...

2.a) The propaganda being spewed on TV, #1. Killing others is OK. Happens on TV, its cool...

b.) The violence perpetuated by the video gaming industry. Possibly some percieve violence and killing as a viable solution. It works, and is promoted on tooo many games.

c.) Something about one parent families. they're not natural in that a child is entitled to two parents. ANYTHING less the child is being ripped off, and surely is somewhat resentful. Surely has to do with the dimineshed or lack of love and all the benefits derived from it.

d.) A very diminished concept of the Value of Life . including their own...

Case by case...

Mom needed to keep her guns under control. They teach you this in gun class. It's one of the first things they teach you. With so many guns in the hands of the general population you will have them getting into the wrong hands. It is what it is. You can kill 100 kids with a car too. All things in context and case by case.

Case by case...

Mom needed to keep her guns under control. They teach you this in gun class. It's one of the first things they teach you. With so many guns in the hands of the general population you will have them getting into the wrong hands. It is what it is. You can kill 100 kids with a car too. All things in context and case by case.

How many cases do you want? Maybe try killing them with kindness?

or

She should of been armed herself for the occasion, since she was so fond of them. Maybe the teachers should be armed too, especially since they are under attack by the Publicans also? Reality they should be getting hazardous duty pay too.

How about the teacher that hid the students in the closet thereby sparing them in exchange for her own life? Selfless Love, it's too beatifull for words.

The problem is systemic. We are a product of our environment esp the media.

Edited by solabeirtan

How many cases do you want? Maybe try killing them with kindness?

Anyone could kill more kids with a car if they wanted to.

The lesson here is to only own the amount of guns you can personally control. It's the only real answer that will fit the situation. People aren't going to give up their rights to have guns so you have to look to other solutions.

Anyone could kill more kids with a car if they wanted to.

The lesson here is to only own the amount of guns you can personally control. It's the only real answer that will fit the situation. People aren't going to give up their rights to have guns so you have to look to other solutions.

That does make sense in a very simplistic world. The problem is why would someone even consider such a selfish act?

I believe the problem lies a little deeper, perhaps within the equation how do you justify taking a life, esp your own?

When is a life = to the price of a bullet? How and when does it become a viable solution? Could it be partly due to our conditioning to instant gratification v more realistic (and humane) problem solving.

Edited by solabeirtan

That does make sense in a very simplistic world. The problem is why would someone even consider such a selfish act?

I believe the problem lies a little deeper, perhaps within the equation how do you justify taking a life, esp your own?

When is a life = to the price of a bullet? How and when does it become a viable solution? Could it be partly due to our conditioning to instant gratification v more realistic (and humane) problem solving.

Leave out the gun and the problem still remains was my point. Example: I'll use your equation: When is a life = to the amount of gas it takes to drive a car through a parade?

So you see, it's not really about guns is it?

Edited by Restorium2

Leave out the gun and the problem still remains was my point. Example: I'll use your equation: When is a life = to the amount of gas it takes to drive a car through a parade?

So you see, it's not really about guns is it?

Partially correct again. In this case and most others the tool of choice is? They were killed by guns, several in fact and lots of bullets. So you see?

This is so much like the right to work debate. Things look different on paper than reality. People are not giving up their guns. Don't even go there or you will have much worse problems to fix. The answers we come up with must work in reality or what's the use? Of course banning guns would stop some people from having guns. But it's not a viable option in America today.

http://anarchistsocc...nthinkable.html Here is the real problem.

It took a really long time, but I feel badly about how I treated my Mom when I was young. I suppose this is why this situation hits close to home, but the good news for me is my parents hated guns so they were never in the house until I was an adult and had my own. By that time, I had realized that thc for me was the answer, when I needed to calm down and consider all reasonable options. One of the reasons I started the thread last night was the pipe dream of: WHAT IF the "old and injured stoners club" could come up with a solution which the professional think tank types cannot seem to solve? What if? ;~}

Tax guns yearly with minimal tax on the first gun. Then tax the hell out of the remaining with outrageous taxes on guns that have capacity exceeding 3-6 (pick a number) You get found breaking this law you go to jail for 2 years and you loose your right to own a gun.

So you have the right to own a not a not too technological weapon which can kill 6 (more if you can position your victims just right! and you still have the right to all kinds of bunny muffin that in my opinion should never have been made available in the first place. You should are going to be taxed like hell for the privalege of owning a machine that is with hard core military capabilities.

Then there is the issue of guns being too easily available in the house.

We do this for 30 years then we slowly get rid of all the hand guns and assault rifles. We leave hunting rifles (no not ak-47s!) alone.

We take the tax money and put it into education and health research.

Guns are the spider mites of our civilization.