Neil Rockind Interview, Comments On Provision Centers

Excellent interview from 2/28 below with Neil Rockind

Thorpe: Can you tell us about House Bill 5580, sometimes called the “Safe Access” bill? How would it protect dispensaries and customers? What sorts of powers would it give local governments?

Rockind: The House Bill is now House Bill 4271 or as it is known, the “Provisioning Centers Act.” The Act creates and permits, with the consent of local communities, provisioning centers, i.e., commercial entities that acquire, possess and dispense medical cannabis directly to registered qualifying patients or indirectly through a patient’s registered primary caregiver. The Act creates a comprehensive “dispensary” system. In short, the Act creates places where patients may purchase medical cannabis, establishes rules for who may work at those places, limits the amount of excess marijuana patients and caregivers can sell to a center, limits the amount of cannabis that patients can acquire within a 10 day period, separates centers from physicians and certifications, gives the state’s licensing authority power over a center’s advertising and requires that centers keep records of transfers and acquisitions. Importantly, it empowers municipalities with the right to regulate or ban centers in their own jurisdiction. In my opinion, the Act is brilliantly written and comprehensive. There is no sensible reason why it should not pass.

Entire Interview can be read here...

http://www.legalnews.com/detroit/1373275/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True and now we also know it has a good chance

In passing

That has been the holed up because we didn't know if it help us or hurt and people will now be able to get Meds

I'm coming more to this side of the debate.

The people using Dispensaries, while not fairly represented here, do exist and appear to be ready to take some desperate measures that will end them up in jail. Maybe i shouldn't care because ultimately it doesn't affect my situation, but I really don't want to see that happen.

Pass the Bill with good language that does NOTHING to alter the current PT to CG model and be done with it. If Neil has ok'ed it, that's a great sign. Would love to hear Micheal's thoughts if he has seen it.

There is a difference between what this bill would do now and what the ramifications could be in the future. May not affect the pt/cg model all that much right now but as some have warned it is paving the way for bigger business to take control of growing, etc. For that reason I don't think it matters much what any attorney may think of this from a legal point of view. It is the politics that I would be more concerned with.

Well until we see the revised version of 4271 we won't know. Keep in mind Neil has an interest in this that may not be the same as the average Cg or Pt..

Absolutely fair point. When the language is revealed, we will know for sure and I am preparing myself to be disappointed. Would you agree with me that the final draft versus what Neil is commenting on could be worlds apart?

There is a difference between what this bill would do now and what the ramifications could be in the future. May not affect the pt/cg model all that much right now but as some have warned it is paving the way for bigger business to take control of growing, etc. For that reason I don't think it matters much what any attorney may think of this from a legal point of view. It is the politics that I would be more concerned with.

What could be done with the legislation they are working on now to prevent the scenario you suggest? Do you think that there could be large outside interests lobbying for the provision bill now?

I don't disagree that the risk you identify isn't pertinent. In fact I think it's closer to everything that's happening than people think.

In places like Ypsilanti, caregivers will have to follow all the rules in this bill. They already consider them commercial entities.

Here's what is happening there;

But state law says registered caregivers can grow up to 72 plants for up to five patients and their own personal use. Ypsilanti Township's zoning ordinance doesn’t permit caregivers to operate in residential zones.

Because of;

Because of local zoning restrictions put in place by staff and City Council, twelve dispensaries could potentially open in Ypsilanti, but only four have done so over the past year. The 3rd Coast Compassion Center at Hamilton and Pearl streets was the first dispensary in Michigan to open and the first in the state to receive a dispensary license from a local municipality in June.

I agree but at least they were grown here lol

The others one had a lot of different ones but most where out of State Meds

Good morning my friend, hope you have a wonderful day. I'm going to, starting with my democrats breakfast and ending with my youngest daughters birthday party (30th).

Am I wrong in believing that IL 1 of 2008 can only be amended by 3/4 vote of the House and Senate? Am I also wrong that our law is grandfathered and that the new provisioning bill can't take our rights to grow. I need enlightenment here folks.

Here's an easy way to follow it;

If ypsy staff and City Council can tell a caregiver, right now, that it's illegal to grow in a residential areas. They darn well WILL tell them that all these other rules apply to them also. Everyone can follow that easily.

Bobandtorey:.....(The others one had a lot of different ones but most where out of State Meds)

That's right all along the safe accesses, dispensary gang have been bringing out of state product into Michigan and Taking our patients money back out of state.

Protect our Patients from these leaches

Just say ....Hell No

TheHarvester......"

The people using Dispensaries, while not fairly represented here, do exist and appear to be ready to take some desperate measures that will end them up in jail. Maybe i shouldn't care because ultimately it doesn't affect my situation, but I really don't want to see that happen "

Nonsense

The only ones pushing safe access and disp are greedy drug dealers looking to molest our Good Law

Fairly represented.....where are they?

Even the poll shows very few patronized these illegal pot shops.

The SA and disp cartel want you to believe there is demand.to legitimize there illegal opp.

IT IS A LIE.

Rocklind , Safe Access, and the disp crooks are Traitors to The Law We the People voted for and the SC confirmed

Take your safe access, disp , out of state Meds and go to a drug dealer friendly state

We the People, who are not fairly represented here , Like our Good Law, just the way it is.

If you ever figure this out your membership here might even grow back to when you told us you were fighting for US

Am I wrong in believing that IL 1 of 2008 can only be amended by 3/4 vote of the House and Senate? Am I also wrong that our law is grandfathered and that the new provisioning bill can't take our rights to grow. I need enlightenment here folks.

True they can't change Law 1 of 08 but they know how to make other Laws

That can have a big effect on how Leo can arrest someone or city's can keep

Mmj out of their towns or try to unless you fight it in a court room

The Law makers know the sick don't have the $$ to sue the city's in court so they walk all over the sick we are lucky to have people like Mr. K and Aaron his helper David R and John T and Neil R to many to name to help fight the good fight

we wish we had money to send them all a BIG check someday we might and all the sick wont have to go Through the stress that some do

I worry more about the weak and mental people like Torey then I do myself

some just can't take it

I try to stay strong for them and her the best I can people like you John make me want to

Peace From The Front

Bob & Torey

Bobandtorey:.....(The others one had a lot of different ones but most where out of State Meds)

That's right all along the safe accesses, dispensary gang have been bringing out of state product into Michigan and Taking our patients money back out of state.

Protect our Patients from these leaches

Just say ....Hell No

TheHarvester......"

The people using Dispensaries, while not fairly represented here, do exist and appear to be ready to take some desperate measures that will end them up in jail. Maybe i shouldn't care because ultimately it doesn't affect my situation, but I really don't want to see that happen "

Nonsense

The only ones pushing safe access and disp are greedy drug dealers looking to molest our Good Law

Fairly represented.....where are they?

Even the poll shows very few patronized these illegal pot shops.

The SA and disp cartel want you to believe there is demand.to legitimize there illegal opp.

IT IS A LIE.

Rocklind , Safe Access, and the disp crooks are Traitors to The Law We the People voted for and the SC confirmed ? And just what is it that the SC did

Have they helped with any kind of Protection for Patients NO IMHO

I was a member of ASA long ago I agree no help from them

And I do know Mr. Rockind and respect him very much but he is a Lawyer

And needs to feed his family

Take your safe access, disp , out of state Meds and go to a drug dealer friendly state

We the People, who are not fairly represented here , Like our Good Law, just the way it is. I agree

If you ever figure this out your membership here might even grow back to when you told us you were fighting for US