Butthurt Billy.

From mlive, http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/decriminalize_marijuana_michig.html

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, the state's top law enforcement officer, is opposed to proposed legislation that would decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

"We should not go down this road of legalizing drugs," Schuette told Lansing television station WILX this week. "It exposes young kids, children, to ever more potent drugs use, and I think that's not good for the in the future."

Joy Yearout, a spokesperson for the attorney general's office, confirmed that Schuette is concerned the legislation would increase the availability of drugs that could "negatively impact Michigan's children."

House Bill 4623, introduced Wednesday by Democratic state Rep. Jeff Irwin of Ann Arbor, would not legalize marijuana use in Michigan, but it would reduce the penalties for those caught with one ounce or less of the drug.

Instead of a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail, small-time possession would result in a civil infraction punishable by a fine of up to $25 for a first offense, $50 for a second offense and $100 for subsequent offenses.

Four Democrats and two Republicans joined Irwin as co-sponsors. Rep. Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, said it is "the right time to have this debate in Michigan" but explained that he would like to see additional penalties for minors added to the bill before he could vote for it.

"The data is clear," Shirkey said. "We're spending a lot of money, a lot of energy and a lot of resources in Michigan and across the nation to try to accomplish something that, frankly, we've failed at."

Bipartisan backing does not guarantee a debate, let alone a public hearing on the bill, which has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. Spokesperson Ari Adler said the House Speaker Jase Bolger will not "close the door" on the discussion but indicated that lawmakers have more immediate priorities.

Irwin, who argued that the effort to criminalize marijuana possession is costly but ineffective, said Wednesday that he expected opposition from Schuette and other law enforcement officials while suggesting that front-line officers might have a different opinion.

"It's just impossible for these law enforcement officials who are in the leadership of these organizations to admit that what they've been working on for so many years just hasn't been working," he said. "It's plain as the nose on my face to any citizen in Michigan that marijuana prohibition isn't working."

Voters in several Michigan cities have approved decriminalization of marijuana. Seventeen states have some form of decriminalization policy, including Washington and Colorado, where voters have gone a step further by approving full legalization. The drug remains illegal under federal law, however, and the Obama administration has not given a clear indication of how it will respond to policies in those two states.

A recent bill co-sponsored by Republican U.S. Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, titled the "Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2013," would ensure that the federal government does not prosecute residents acting in accordance with state laws.

Jonathan Oosting is a Capitol reporter for MLive Media Group. Email him, find him on Google+ or follow him on Twitter.

Edited by GregS

Just Flashed on the first time I got caught with cigarettes. By the Police. Sure I was all of 12 or 13. Walking home from school, with one of my buds, bout 9pm, summertime. Down the side of Schoolcraft Ave [now I-96] just before Outer Drive  because there wasn't even a bike path. Sides 20/20 hindsight we were probably just Role Playing, kids you know. Well we bout s our pants when the cops pulled up balong side of  us. I had the smokes in my top pocket, my friend had his in the cuff of his shirt. We didn't even get a fine, they took our cigarettes, let us go. I smoked over thirty years before I could stop.

20 / 20 hindsight I wished they would have given me 6 mos in DeHoCo, for that stupid bunny muffin. [As I smoked tobacco for over 30 years! a f 33% of a Century!   Gd!   I wanna my money back mfs! ]

To suit the less toxic cannabis the $25 fine is quite appropriate.

ps back in 1965 I would a been able to get 93 packs. Today I would get 3 or 4 max. [ for the .25 c_note ] That should be a $500 fine ! a pack !

Edited by solabeirtan

"We should not go down this road of legalizing drugs," Schuette told Lansing television station WILX this week. "It exposes young kids, children, to ever more potent drugs use, and I think that's not good for the in the future."

They always trot out this excuse for justifying prohibition, but I have yet to see an explanation of just how this will work. They apparently believe that more availability will result in more use. This theory has been debunked in areas where legalization is already in effect. What Schuette doesn't understand is that some unscrupulous drug dealers seek out kids to sell to because kids are an easy mark. Remove the profit motive and these scumbags will not be able to make money selling to kids, ergo the problem of kids getting drugs decreases.

Another thing that the prohibitionists don't understand is that in areas where marijuana is legal, use does not only not increase, but is some cases it decreases. Not everyone wants to use cannabis. Anyone who wants to use cannabis can pretty easily find it right now. Legalization will not change most people's attitudes toward their own use of cannabis. Schuette is a shill for the industry that has been built up around cannabis prohibition.

What a loser this guy is we all know he has connections to Dow chemicals so I'm sure the big pharm secretly has him in their pocket as well .

The more people feel relaxed enough to use cannabis the less likely they will need to see the doctor for pain medication  he knows who butters his bread and I'm sure he don't like dry toast so of course he opposes anything that cuts him out of the financial picture .

What a loser this guy is we all know he has connections to Dow chemicals so I'm sure the big pharm secretly has him in their pocket as well .

The more people feel relaxed enough to use cannabis the less likely they will need to see the doctor for pain medication he knows who butters his bread and I'm sure he don't like dry toast so of course he opposes anything that cuts him out of the financial picture .

Not only that KD, but im sure its the chemicals in drug TEST kits...

Its real easy to tell the truth ---Follow the MONEY..

Edited by RandomStoner

I have a problem with Shirkey's comment that "he would not vote for it unless we created more penalties for kids".. You mean they don't already have enough?  You know, like no federally backed student loans or being able to serve in the military, not to mention jail, probation and fines?  darn, these guys need to get real.

I have a problem with Shirkey's comment that "he would not vote for it unless we created more penalties for kids".. You mean they don't already have enough?  You know, like no federally backed student loans or being able to serve in the military, not to mention jail, probation and fines?  darn, these guys need to get real.

Just leave it a felony to supply a minor. Make everything else legal.

All this concern over Schuette, yet not one person other than PB bothers to show up to the new conditions panel hearings in Lansing?  We have the opportunity to add new conditions to the list, yet where was the community?

How about instead of worrying about what a well known opponent to the program has to say (like it is going to make any difference) we instead start working on doing the research for new conditions?  Who whats to work on chronic persistent anxiety?  Who wants to take the asthma petition and shore it up so that it will pass?  How about hypertension?

Currently there are about a dozen people working on these and other conditions in the state.  How many are reading this?  What talent can you bring to bear.

How about someone instead of worrying about the AG starts a thread to discuss ideas for new conditions and posts some of their research so we can put a petition together for the committee before it disbands due to lack of interest and new condition requests?

Dr. Bob

Not only that KD, but im sure its the chemicals in drug TEST kits...

Its real easy to tell the truth ---Follow the MONEY..

Which ordinary people rarely do we need expose's on politicians not  sports TV or   movie stars follow the money and you will see what really drives a politician's views and opinions .

Dr. Bob, on 26 Apr 2013 - 20:42, said:snapback.png

We have the opportunity to add new conditions to the list

How about we instead start working on doing the research for new conditions?  Who whats to work on chronic persistent anxiety?  Who wants to take the asthma petition and shore it up so that it will pass?  How about hypertension?

Currently there are about a dozen people working on these and other conditions in the state.  What talent can you bring to bear; we can put a petition together for the committee before it disbands due to lack of interest and new condition requests?

Dr. Bob

Summarizing Dr. Bob:  Don't reply to Billy, talk to the new conditions panel.

All this concern over Schuette, yet not one person other than PB bothers to show up to the new conditions panel hearings in Lansing?  We have the opportunity to add new conditions to the list, yet where was the community?

How about instead of worrying about what a well known opponent to the program has to say (like it is going to make any difference) we instead start working on doing the research for new conditions?  Who whats to work on chronic persistent anxiety?  Who wants to take the asthma petition and shore it up so that it will pass?  How about hypertension?

Currently there are about a dozen people working on these and other conditions in the state.  How many are reading this?  What talent can you bring to bear.

How about someone instead of worrying about the AG starts a thread to discuss ideas for new conditions and posts some of their research so we can put a petition together for the committee before it disbands due to lack of interest and new condition requests?

Dr. Bob

We could also all get off our arses and support the new 'decriminalization bill' (HB 4623) that would only mean a small fine for ANYONE with ANY medical condition with up to 1 oz. of cannabis.

I haven't followed the 'new conditions' protocol.

If there is another opportunity to provide input for PTSD I would be happy to participate if a 67-year-old retired hourly oil-field worker and drafted VN infantry soldier veteran to testify I am probably someone who could help with PTSD and MMJ based on my own experiences.

I have the time and resources to travel to Lansing and I'll be there in time to rehearse about before testifying if my wife puts a date on her calendar. My wife organizes my life and I simply follow her directions. Show me a good marriage and I'll show you a woman in charge.

It is my intention to attend the next SWMiCC meeting. It would help ensure better turn-out if the CC's were involved at the local level for something other than sharing rides to another protest. A

s some have noted, our community seems more inclined to protest than actually work within the system to affect positive changes. The only time protests ever work is if the gathering is loud enough or large enough to scare the politicians.

Sadly, no one is afraid of a couple hundred pot-smokers. Pot smokers don't vote as a block. Most don't bother to vote at all. This is a shame because one-hundred thousand patients and caregivers working together would be the prohibitionists worst nightmare.

Calling Schuette names may make some feel better but convincing one Republican to vote against him is a much better way to go in my opinion. Just like voting against any incumbent, Democrat or Republican who doesn't support MMJ would make more sense than voting for one party and hoping this time they'll be different.

Edited by outsideinthecold

I haven't followed the 'new conditions' protocol.

If there is another opportunity to provide input for PTSD I would be happy to participate if a 67-year-old retired hourly oil-field worker and drafted VN infantry soldier veteran to testify I am probably someone who could help with PTSD and MMJ based on my own experiences.

I have the time and resources to travel to Lansing and I'll be there in time to rehearse about before testifying if my wife puts a date on her calendar. My wife organizes my life and I simply follow her directions. Show me a good marriage and I'll show you a woman in charge.

It is my intention to attend the next SWMiCC meeting. It would help ensure better turn-out if the CC's were involved at the local level for something other than sharing rides to another protest. A

s some have noted, our community seems more inclined to protest than actually work within the system to affect positive changes. The only time protests ever work is if the gathering is loud enough or large enough to scare the politicians.

Sadly, no one is afraid of a couple hundred pot-smokers. Pot smokers don't vote as a block. Most don't bother to vote at all. This is a shame because one-hundred thousand patients and caregivers working together would be the prohibitionists worst nightmare.

Calling Schuette names may make some feel better but convincing one Republican to vote against him is a much better way to go in my opinion. Just like voting against any incumbent, Democrat or Republican who doesn't support MMJ would make more sense than voting for one party and hoping this time they'll be different.

Thanks for the sentiment. PTSD is well on the way to being decided on, and it looks favorable to some of us. The comment period is over, and LARA will make its decision within a few short weeks.

Yeah, like he said.  And decriminalization (and the federal bill to respect state medical marijuana laws) also deserve our attention and resources.

Dr. Bob

Just Flashed on the first time I got caught with cigarettes. By the Police. Sure I was all of 12 or 13. Walking home from school, with one of my buds, bout 9pm, summertime. Down the side of Schoolcraft Ave [now I-96] just before Outer Drive  because there wasn't even a bike path. Sides 20/20 hindsight we were probably just Role Playing, kids you know. Well we bout s our pants when the cops pulled up balong side of  us. I had the smokes in my top pocket, my friend had his in the cuff of his shirt. We didn't even get a fine, they took our cigarettes, let us go. I smoked over thirty years before I could stop.

20 / 20 hindsight I wished they would have given me 6 mos in DeHoCo, for that stupid bunny muffin. [As I smoked tobacco for over 30 years! a f 33% of a Century!   Gd!   I wanna my money back mfs! ]

To suit the less toxic cannabis the $25 fine is quite appropriate.

ps back in 1965 I would a been able to get 93 packs. Today I would get 3 or 4 max. [ for the .25 c_note ] That should be a $500 fine ! a pack !

Yea when I started smoking they were .45 cents a pack, and 4.50 a carton, I remember saying when it gets to a buck a pack im quiting, kinda like I said about gasoline, when it gets to a buck a pack im taking the bus, Um I dont think ive ever road a bus, well I rode a bar  buss from a mt.clemens bar (macomb county) to tiger stadium, that was a good time, the last time I was at tiger stadium, I seen kiss for the 4th time in make up with all original members, and we took a 10 seater limo, that was sweet, walk out the door on mich and bagly? and hop rite in the limo, or mich and trumble been  many yrs!

Im still smoking and paying 1 buck a pack but I have to roll my own, I dont know how these kids can afford 6 bucks a pack cigs, most dont have jobs in our part of the woods, so what are they doing? b & e's to smoke tobaco? we could afford to pay the 50 to 60 bucks a carton, but I refuse too, I roll my own, lately i been using ausable brand and for 9 bucks we get a carton of smokes, it takes me like 1 hr to roll up most of the carton, so I figure since im still smoking in that hr i made around 50 bucks, either way you look at it, i only paid under 10 for tham and it took 1 hr to make em into good and supposedly no chemical tobaco lmao!  I guess after i have my 1st heart attack I can quit rolling cigs, becuase than I will have to quit smoking eh?

Peace

Jim

p.s and i used to get nickle bags for 5 bucks they didnt weigh it back than, a nickle was 2 finger high in the bag and a lid was like 4 or 5 fingers high for 10 bucks, darn near an oz for 10 bucks, but the lowest I paid for quanity around that age was 60 bucks for a 1/4 lb a few yrs later! oz's were going for 40 ad 1/2 were going for 20, oh the good old days, and yes I was getting mj grown in mich for that price!

Yea when I started smoking they were .45 cents a pack, and 4.50 a carton, I remember saying when it gets to a buck a pack im quiting, kinda like I said about gasoline, when it gets to a buck a pack im taking the bus, Um I dont think ive ever road a bus, well I rode a bar  buss from a mt.clemens bar (macomb county) to tiger stadium, that was a good time, the last time I was at tiger stadium, I seen kiss for the 4th time in make up with all original members, and we took a 10 seater limo, that was sweet, walk out the door on mich and bagly? and hop rite in the limo, or mich and trumble been  many yrs!

Im still smoking and paying 1 buck a pack but I have to roll my own, I dont know how these kids can afford 6 bucks a pack cigs, most dont have jobs in our part of the woods, so what are they doing? b & e's to smoke tobaco? we could afford to pay the 50 to 60 bucks a carton, but I refuse too, I roll my own, lately i been using ausable brand and for 9 bucks we get a carton of smokes, it takes me like 1 hr to roll up most of the carton, so I figure since im still smoking in that hr i made around 50 bucks, either way you look at it, i only paid under 10 for tham and it took 1 hr to make em into good and supposedly no chemical tobaco lmao!  I guess after i have my 1st heart attack I can quit rolling cigs, becuase than I will have to quit smoking eh?

Peace

Jim

p.s and i used to get nickle bags for 5 bucks they didnt weigh it back than, a nickle was 2 finger high in the bag and a lid was like 4 or 5 fingers high for 10 bucks, darn near an oz for 10 bucks, but the lowest I paid for quanity around that age was 60 bucks for a 1/4 lb a few yrs later! oz's were going for 40 ad 1/2 were going for 20, oh the good old days, and yes I was getting mj grown in mich for that price!

Gas was 29.9 cents a gallon. The police were not yet militarized. They had not yet become heavily monetized with picayune and excessive enforcement and civil asset forfeiture. It was possible to drive for hours without seeing a police cruiser. Living life, having fun, and getting work done on the roads was entirely different. Soviet Russia was constantly held up as a repressive police state as a tonic to keep us proud of our civil rights. The law favored citizens, rather than a berserk police state. None of this is true any more.This world is not the one I grew up in, and life in the gulag sucks, just like we were told it would.

The LAST thing we need is to hand our money to the police. It is curious that despite all the hoo ha over the cost of government, law enforcement keeps on growing, and growing, and growing.