H2O2: Yield Booster?

I ran Headband head-to-head vs a soilless guru (now that he beat my yield, he's a guru).  We flowered the same teens, in Promix BX, same nute mix (I thot).

D did 40% better than I did on 24 plants, getting 10 pounds and a few oz.

So at the weigh-in I said, what gives?  He told me the secret ingredient--he added hydrogen peroxide as directed on the gallon bottles--to the soilless mix sold as Promix BX with miccorrizya.

I wonder if it's BS...or what?

Edited by pic book

There are many, many different variables when growing.  Just the air quality is going to give you different medicine than someone growing the same strain.  That's why I never put too much importance on strains.  If I've learned anything in 20+ years of growing, it's that the same strain will not produce the same medicine if grown by two different people.

There are many, many different variables when growing.  Just the air quality is going to give you different medicine than someone growing the same strain.  That's why I never put too much importance on strains.  If I've learned anything in 20+ years of growing, it's that the same strain will not produce the same medicine if grown by two different people.

Sometimes clones will not produce the same as the mother due to variations in grow conditions. Too many variables.

But all in all you are better off if you start with good genetics. A poor harvest of White Widow will still be better than a good harvest of Indiana ditch weed.

Idea being that the H2O2 promoted healthier roots, and in turn more water and nutrient uptake? H2O2 would definitely be knocking back or killing the mycorhizal fungi. I think looking at the root balls might indicate if it were true. I'd guess that it may have had more to do with the environment and watering. 40% is huge. Those girls were drinking quite a bit more. It'd be interesting to see all of the variables between the two grows outlined.

Sometimes clones will not produce the same as the mother due to variations in grow conditions. Too many variables.

But all in all you are better off if you start with good genetics. A poor harvest of White Widow will still be better than a good harvest of Indiana ditch weed.

I will definitely agree that you should start with good genetics.  

I was under the impression that H2O2 will kill beneficial bacteria in the soil. I have used it to spray on plants but never to put into the soil.

I think this is your first clue to the problem.

If I understand your question, you grew in dirt (promix) and the other fellow grew in hydro.     In the dirt you are dealing with the beneficial bacteria which will be killed by the peroxide.  In hydro one of the biggest problems for growers is algae that builds up on the roots and prevents the uptake of nutes.   The peroxide kills the algae.  I know many claim the peroxide increases the dissolved O2, but the reality is it evaporates from the solution too quickly to be of real benefit.  You are better off adding another airstone if you need more dissolved O2. 

Semi:  we both grew in Promix BX with mic, both used Ionic nutes as bottles direct. 

Celly:  The teens came from the same mother.

We both had RH 40-60.

Lamps were 1000 hps with 6-inch vented hoods, hortilux bulbs.

He says his greater yield is due to his adding to the nute mix H2O2 as the gallon bottle directs.

The other diff in our grows:  my temps ran 77-79 day, 60 night... His was steady at 74 day and night

The point of my post is could H2O2 alone be resp for the yield diffs?

I guess the consensus is no, no, no.

He is 23 miles away.

like semicaregiver says, h2o2 is for cleaning dwc. do not put it in soil.

well, you could give it a shot. get two clones in dirt, put h2o2 in one clone. observe results.

i know what your problem is.

your pots are too small!

thats why hydro gets bigger yields, bigger roots!

pull your plants and compare roots w/ your buddy.

what kind of water were you using? filtered? ro? compost tea?

dwc is like watering with compost tea all day, every day.

you want to compete hydro vs dirt?

in dirt , you'll need cover crops, symbiotic crops (clover), mycos, biochar, compost, etc.

the other crops regulate the water and keep the soil alive.

wish i could find bamboo bacteria.

i saw a mint plant that came up next to some bamboo, the mint was 7 foot tall!

tallest mint plant i've ever seen.

Bamboo Microorganisms

Another method of gathering microorganism is through burying your container with cooked rice on bamboo plants litter. Apparently, bamboo through observation and experience in the East, attracts powerful beneficial microorganisms as the roots of the bamboo exude sugary substances that attract beneficial microorganisms. The same procedure is followed as described before in its culture.

https://growguide.opengrow.com/Beneficial_Indigenous_Organisms_(BIM)

my question is quality vs quanity.

how was your buddy's smoke vs yours ? does dirt v hydro make a diff ? does it taste diff?

Edited by t-pain