Sold Out? Woa-Listen Up Michiganders.. Do You Hear The Message?

mibrains

http://business.time.com/2014/01/04/colorados-pot-shops-say-theyll-be-sold-out-any-day-now/

Colorado’s Pot Shops Say They’ll Be Sold Out Any Day Now
7ee6b9f884c24c17834478b3d07.jpg?w=360&h=

A few days into the experiment, the new world of legal-recreational-marijuana sales in Colorado appears to be a big success — so much so that pot shops are finding it impossible to keep up with demand.

According to the Denver Post, at least 37 stores in Colorado were licensed to sell recreational pot to anyone 21 or over as of New Year’s Day. The Associated Press and others reported long lines outside Denver pot shops, with some eager customers forced to wait three to five hours before getting a chance to go inside, step up to the counter and make a purchase.

Prices have been steep — in some cases, stores were charging $50 or even $70 for one-eighth of an ounce of pot that cost medical marijuana users just $25 the day before — and taxes add on an extra 20% or so. Even so, sales have been brisk.

The two operational pot shops in Pueblo collectively sold $87,000 of marijuana on Jan. 1, per the Pueblo Chieftain, and store owners say if demand persists anywhere near the current high, they’ll be sold out in the very near future. Likewise, Toni Fox, owner of the 3D Cannabis Center in Denver, told the Colorado Springs Gazette that a sellout is imminent. “We are going to run out,” she said on Thursday, Day 2 of legal-recreational-marijuana sales. “It’s insane. This weekend will be just as crazy. If there is a mad rush, we’ll be out by Monday.”

Another Associated Press story noted that some shops had to close early on Wednesday because they didn’t have enough marijuana on hand to oblige customers.

(MORE: Colorado’s ‘High Country’ Takes On New Meaning)

For more than a month, many have speculated that Colorado pot shops would not be able to meet demand due to the limited number of stores open in the state, as well as tough regulations regarding how marijuana is grown and distributed at the wholesale level. Of course, strong demand — especially from “smoke birds,” a.k.a. out-of-state tourists visiting Colorado for legal marijuana purchases — also plays a big role. By most accounts, since Jan. 1 more than half of pot sales have gone to non-Coloradans.

Prices in legal pot shops have already risen to upwards of $400 an ounce. Once you factor in taxes, as well as the fact that it looks like shops may periodically be sold out for a while, and some are saying the situation is one that could push pot enthusiasts back to buying marijuana on the black market. “People will get real tired of paying the taxes real fast,” one street dealer in Pueblo named Tracy told the Chieftain. “When you can buy an ounce from me for $225 to $300, the state adds as much as $90 just for the tax.

It's just a fad.

They summed it up when they said that folks are paying $70 for an 1/8 that they could get for $25 'elsewhere'.  Marijuana exhibitionists dancing around for the cameras are just what the slick dispensary owners want. HYPE hype hype. Tell you what, paying $70 an 1/8 will get old quick and everyone but the exhibitions are laughing right now.  LOL

An 1/8 is just 3.5 grams. I think I dropped that much in the snow yesterday. It was stuck on the bottom of my boots.

of course they'll sell out. 

the 'tax and regulate' people said 'regulate like alcohol' but they lied.

all one has to do is look back 80 years for the history of repeating itself.

March 1933, the new york times:

CITY BEER SHORTAGE FEARED BY BREWERS; Rationing of Output Is Planned as Flood of Orders Exceeds Capacity of Plants. NEW JOBS PUT AT 50,000 Estimate Based on Survey of 30 Industries -- Westchester Parks Admit Brew. SHORTAGE OF BEER IS PREDICTED HERE

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]

Booked far above their capacity, brewers of New York City disclosed yesterday that they would be compelled to allocate or ration beer when it is legal for them to fill the rush of orders that has nearly swamped them. Some brewers admit the possibility of a beer shortage.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50716FE3D5E1A7A93C4AB1788D85F478385F9

except instead of just an american prohibition, this is a WORLD WIDE PROHIBITION.

even tho urugray legalized it, its only for their citizens, not tourists.

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-10573_11472-318044--,00.html

Michigan Liquor Control Commission Celebrates 80 Years in Business; Michigan organized the Commission 10 days after the end of Prohibition
Agency: Liquor Control Commission

DECEMBER 12, 2013 – Sunday marks 80 years of the Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC). The MLCC celebrated the 80th anniversary of the end of Prohibition and the ratification of the 21st Amendment on December 5.

Michigan became the first state in the union to ratify the 21st Amendment, which called for the end of Prohibition. On December 5, 1933 at 6:55 p.m. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt announced to the nation on a national radio broadcast that Prohibition has come to an end. On December 15, 1933, the MLCC had organized, had opened liquor stores and had liquor available for sale. On December 30, 1933, the Commission opened the first 7 state liquor stores, 3 in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Kalamazoo and Jackson. Ninety-six additional stores were opened in 1934.

With the adoption of the 21st Amendment, the states were free to experiment with new control systems or to retain prohibition. Twenty-eight states and the District of Columbia adopted the licensing (open-state) system and 17 states including Michigan, adopted the state control system, and three states remained dry, Oklahoma, Kansas and Mississippi. To this date, there are still 16 control states plus Montgomery County, Maryland.

what do we have to do to finish off prohibition? 28 states?

we're at 20 right now?

well

i am pretty sure $70 a 1/8th is all well and good for legal cannabis users..

that's $20 bucks a gram.

and as i recall that was the going rate here in Michigan for many people who wanted to visit a dispensary and "sample" some different strains.. or maybe to augment some kind of failure in their own system... or for convenience... whatever....

so to be able to be any Jack or Jill off the street.... $70 bucks the legal way... isn't out of line.. or a problem for those people who would choose to pay it.

i prefer my own organically grown cannabis personally where i can control everything that goes into her... so i know everything coming out... but that's me.  not everyone is like me..

many are..

many are not.

to each their own.

yep

just over half should do it T

scary isn't it?

what do you think the feds are gonna do with there "new system"

i bet we hear about it this summer some time.

they would not have slammed 660 through so fast if they didn't know about the federal overhaul coming...

tick tock tick tock...

everyone should be gearing up mentally to be prepared to fight for our rights to save our home grows.. it is coming.. and we will need to stand strong and united when it happens.

It's definitely a fad when folks pay more because it's at a store. If you think that $560 an ounce is swell then I really can't make my point can I? To me that would be too much to pay and not a real option.

yep..

me either

but to many thats small potatoes for the convenience..

those roll your own ciggarettes are cheaper, and there are stores where you can go make your own.

but yet, people still buy cartons for the convenience, even if its more expensive.

same with soda pop. buy the syrup and some seltzer water, wayyyyyy cheaper than buying cocacola

still most people just buy the pre-mixed coke.

same with bottled water. you can buy cheap bottles and fill up from your tap!

but people out there are always buying bottled water. pre bottled.

i'm sorry resto, you must give me one (non marijuana) example of the legit store-bought system failing to home-brew before i'll believe you.

there will always be home-grow, home-brew, farmers markets, people raising chickens for eggs, growing their own food. but the vast majority of people just like going to stores.

Edited by t-pain

No one I know. And those folks in line don't look like jet setters to me. It's a fad.

no one i know visited dispensaries either...

but someone did..

does that make them a fad?

perhaps yes.

it is only going to be a Fad until every state legalizes... then it will go from fad to normal.

i predict that when marijuana is legal, indoor grows will quickly become price prohibitive, unless you install solar/wind or use lights with highly reduced watts (led maybe).

greenhouse with supplemental lighting will still be profitable. but A/C and all that? no way.

so if the price drops in colorado, theres no way the pot shops can survive paying those electricity bills.

i wonder if anyones done the math on what they need to stay afloat? none of thse hawkers look like they have.

Edited by t-pain

This reminds me of when White Castle opened its first restaurant in Flint about ten years ago.  Cars were lined up down the street so people could get their "sliders."  White Castle was talking about opening a second restaurant across town to keep up with demand.  I drive by this place about every day.  Within about three months, the traffic died down and was no more significant than the other fast food places within a mile or so - Rally's, KFC, Wendys, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Little Caesar's, and a few independent places.

which part is the fad?

are you saying that buying legal weed is a fad?

i think you're implying that most people would buy alcohol from a bootlegger?

which of course is not how people prefer to buy alcohol now.

oh how wrong you are, if I was still an active alcoholic id be buying the moonshine, why would I not? I wish I could get some now for making my oil and tinctures!

But a 20% tax is fing crazy for legal mj,,,,How much do they charge for hotels and big boats here, (the luxury tax) man if it ever comes to mich I would hope it would be the same as every thing else 6%, I dont know what the alcohol tax is here, but im thinking it is 6%, I know the state tells them what they can sell it for, but what is the tax on alcohol here, compared to 20% tax on legal weed in co, has anything happened in washington yet?

Peace

I think that booze is slightly easier to produce than good useable cannabis. You can make a boat load of booze in a short time using things you can easily buy on the open market.

I can grow mj in my yard with only what nature supplys me also!

Peace

Yes, but those little burgers were cheap. If they cost you $15 would you quit buying them before you starved to death because you ran out of money? Or would you find something else to eat?

Well, I don't think we're talking about people starving to death vs. eating White Castle, so I'm no sure what you're asking there.  But the point is that you could swing through White Castle and spend about $4 to buy four sliders and a small fries...and for a short time, it might be worth it because of the convenience and novelty.  But eventually the convenience and novelty wears off and you realize that you  can go home and make a turkey sandwich and even have a handful of chips and end up with a better product for for about $2. 

amsterdam coffee shops are still a 'fad' i guess.

how long have those been open? 20 years?

and starbucks! who would pay $5 for a cup of coffee?

they can make the same thing at home with a mr coffee for way cheaper!

mcdonalds as a fad? what? the number 1 fast food place on the planet is a fad?

i still see people lined up 20 cars deep at mcdonalds. a fad? heh.

Edited by t-pain

Starving to death was comparing running out of money for food as compared to running out of money for cannabis.

Everyone can afford a slider at White Castle, a happy meal at Micky D's , and a $5 cup of coffee. No one I know can sustain a $560 an ounce appetite. No one. So they will starve or find something they can afford. $5 will not get you even a crumb at the dispensary. With that in mind, lines around the block at initial start ups is exactly a 'fad'. One that a dispensary owner with the press in their pocket can sustain for a short time. But the money will obviously run out for those folks in line. We all have seen folks spend their money until it's gone and they are flat broke. Stupid is as stupid does. A fool and his money are soon parted. And so is the way of the dispensary line standers for $70 1/8's.

Starving to death was comparing running out of money for food as compared to running out of money for cannabis.

Everyone can afford a slider at White Castle, a happy meal at Micky D's , and a $5 cup of coffee. No one I know can sustain a $560 an ounce appetite. No one. So they will starve or find something they can afford. $5 will not get you even a crumb at the dispensary. With that in mind, lines around the block at initial start ups is exactly a 'fad'. One that a dispensary owner with the press in their pocket can sustain for a short time. But the money will obviously run out for those folks in line. We all have seen folks spend their money until it's gone and they are flat broke. Stupid is as stupid does. A fool and his money are soon parted. And so is the way of the dispensary line standers for $70 1/8's.

That's more or less what I was trying to say.  The "chronic" MJ user will find a better/cheaper alternative.  The fad will wear off with the others.