Obama Says He’D Support Easing Marijuana Restrictions

President Barack Obama says in a new interview that that it’s up to Congress to remove marijuana from the federal government’s list of the most serious narcotics, implying but not explicitly saying that he might support such a move.

http://swampland.time.com/2014/01/31/marijuana-obama-decriminalization/?xid=newsletter-daily

hes still clowning around

"the spillover effect of the violence, potentially, of a drug trade are not creeping out of this experiment."

oh yeah, that violence that comes AFTER LEGALIZAITON, like miller and budwieser shooting each other in the street on a daily basis.

“But I do offer a cautionary note,” Obama told CNN. “…Those who think legalization is a panacea, I think they have to ask themselves some tough questions, too, because if we start having a situation where big corporations with a lot of resources and distribution and marketing arms are suddenly going out there peddling marijuana, then the levels of abuse that may take place are going to be higher.”

marijuana = zero deaths, ever.

alcohol = 20,000 per year

i asked myself which i'd rather be around, drunks or stoners, the stoners won.

any more questions obama?

“But I do offer a cautionary note,” Obama told CNN. “…Those who think legalization is a panacea, I think they have to ask themselves some tough questions, too, because if we start having a situation where big corporations with a lot of resources and distribution and marketing arms are suddenly going out there peddling marijuana, then the levels of abuse that may take place are going to be higher.”

Right on the mark. The big corporations will be abusing us on a new level. Therefore the abuse must be limited by providing for, and nurturing, a diverse supply, where the abuses of consumers are far less. In other words, we should be encouraged to grow our own when ever possible. NEVER should money have a monopoly over grow rights or we will be abused to the high heavens, just like with other drugs.

cannabis users have long been confused about their likes and dislikes, especially in recent times. Dispensaries are good ! Dispensaries are Bad ! Legalization ! No wait, Decriminalization!   Invest in the Marijuana Corps ! wait, Down with MJ Corps!  Like a girl picking out a dress I tell ya.

thanks for that link washtenaut !

This is somehow bad news? We've been looking forward to it for how long? Because he warns us against corporations is a bad thing?

Yay

Right on the mark. The big corporations will be abusing us on a new level. Therefore the abuse must be limited by providing for, and nurturing, a diverse supply, where the abuses of consumers are far less. In other words, we should be encouraged to grow our own when ever possible. NEVER should money have a monopoly over grow rights or we will be abused to the high heavens, just like with other drugs.

My opinion also. Big corporations should be allowed to research cannabis, but they shouldn't be allowed to push it. The answer is easy. Allow homegrown only.

He SAYS a lot of things,mostly lies. Why don't any of you anti business people look up and see what CORPORATIONS have donated to HIS campaign funds? Are you growers not capitalists? So you must just give your product away,right? Yeah thats the ticket. So nobody here works for a company,and gets a paycheck from them? Once Govt gets involved,yer screwed. You will have to fill out tax forms,give receipts to your pts, be accountable for your income,and the IRS will be on you like flies on doodoo.The IRS is getting power they have NO business getting,because of this poser prez. Like "health care".

He SAYS a lot of things,mostly lies. Why don't any of you anti business people look up and see what CORPORATIONS have donated to HIS campaign funds? Are you growers not capitalists? So you must just give your product away,right? Yeah thats the ticket. So nobody here works for a company,and gets a paycheck from them? Once Govt gets involved,yer screwed. You will have to fill out tax forms,give receipts to your pts, be accountable for your income,and the IRS will be on you like flies on doodoo.The IRS is getting power they have NO business getting,because of this poser prez. Like "health care".

How could anyone become president if they didn't accept donations from big business?

There are lot of people in Michigan who get a paycheck BECAUSE of Obama, most all of the auto workers, because government got involved.

I have my medicine covered by insurance because of ObamaCare.

Imagine what Romney would have done? Can you imagine that J?

If a patient is going to declare what they paid you on their income tax then you had better do that too. Otherwise, who's going to know? That's America.

Edited by Restorium2

The point is not that corporations in and of themselves will or won't cause problems, but rather that corporate excess might. Think Berlin and Faro or any other contaminated parcel, Wal Mart taking life insurance policies out on their employees without the employees knowledge with the company the named beneficiary, credit card companies that raped and pillaged for years before the government finally reined them in (thank you Senator Levin), and banks, both for the way they ripped off customers with overdraft charges and by blowing out the US economy. Then there was tobacco and alcohol advertising, both substances which caused immense harm. Remember the tobacco company CEOs testifying before Congress that nicotine/tobacco is not addictive? It is pretty simple to refute claims of harm against cannabis at this point as opposed to the others. I hope to see it marketed like tomatoes.

Researchers from Boston Medical Center (BMC) and Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have found frequency of marijuana use was not significantly associated with health services utilization or health status. These findings currently appear online in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

As marijuana's legal status changes across the US, its impact on health has become of great interest. Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug, yet its impact on health and healthcare utilization has not been studied extensively.

The researchers studied 589 adults who screened positive for drug use at a primary care visit. Those patients were asked about their drug use, their emergency room use and hospitalizations, and their overall health status. In addition, information about other medical diagnoses was obtained from their medical records. They found the vast majority of the study sample (84 percent) used marijuana, 25 percent used cocaine, 23 percent opioids and eight percent used other drugs; 58 percent reported using marijuana but no other drugs. They also found no differences between daily marijuana users and those using no marijuana in their use of the emergency room, in hospitalizations, medical diagnoses or their health status.

According to the researchers it is common for users of illicit drugs to use both marijuana and another drug; therefore, knowing the incremental effects of marijuana on health in that circumstance is important.

"Even though we could not compare marijuana users to those who used no drugs at all, our findings suggest that marijuana use has little measurable effect on self-reported health or healthcare utilization in adults using drugs identified in a primary care clinic," said lead author Daniel Fuster, MD, a postdoctoral scholar from the Clinical Addiction Research and Education Unit at BMC and BUSM.

Story Source:

The above story is based on materials provided by Boston University Medical Center. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Daniel Fuster, Debbie M. Cheng, Donald Allensworth-Davies, Tibor P. Palfai, Jeffrey H. Samet, Richard Saitz. No Detectable Association Between Frequency of Marijuana Use and Health or Healthcare Utilization Among Primary Care Patients Who Screen Positive for Drug Use. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2013; DOI: 10.1007/s11606-013-2605-z

Cite This Page:

Boston University Medical Center. "No association between frequency of marijuana use and health or healthcare utilization." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 23 September 2013. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130923143638.htm>.
Edited by GregS

President Barack Obama says in a new interview that that it’s up to Congress to remove marijuana from the federal government’s

obama says marijuana is up to congress?

Obama not waiting for Congress on clemency for crack offenders ...

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-not-waiting-for-congress-on-clemency-for-crack-offenders-223234501.html

therefor, obama thinks crack dealers are better than medical marijuana patients.