Michigan Voters Ok'd Medical Marijuana In 2008. Why Are Fewer Patients Signing Up?

Listen to Stateside's conversation with Michael Komorn, president of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association.

On Election Day in 2008, Michigan voters said yes to medical marijuana. The vote came despite federal laws banning the sale and consumption of pot.

medical.JPG
It seems as if fewer patients have been receiving medical marijuana since 2011.
CREDIT FLICKR USER DAVID TRAWIN / FLICKR

Since then, local ordinances and court rulings have created a patchwork of rules on the medical marijuana front. Following a 2013 Michigan Supreme Court ruling, patients remain protected as consumers even though sellers no longer have a clear-cut legal protection to sell.

And since 2011, there’s been a drop in the number of patients receiving medical marijuana ID cards.

Michael Komorn, a Southfield attorney and the president of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association, said this dip is likely due to the way the medical marijuana law was amended. Patients now register once every two years, where in the past they registered once a year.

“So I think inherently the numbers are down because of that change in the law,” Komorn said.

But he says the way the law has been implemented has also affected the numbers. 

Enforcement of the law "varies from community to community, county to county," said Komorn. "Different law enforcement agencies or even prosecutors have taken a different approach to it. Some are very hands-on and are leading the charge in terms of prosecuting and creating new cases. Others have taken a more hands-off approach, so you have a great disparity throughout the state, which is a problem.”

Kormorn said those differences in interpretation and enforcement mean confusion for patients and caregivers.

http://michiganradio.org/post/michigan-voters-okd-medical-marijuana-2008-why-are-fewer-patients-signing

Edited by zapatosunidos

The point of this interview is that the number of patients is not dropping, it is being misinterpreted by every single media outlet in the state.

You don't think that many of us have gone to ground because of erratic law enforcement, and back to the good ol' days when men were men and we kept it to ourselves, and out of the government's view?

You don't think that many of us have gone to ground because of erratic law enforcement, and back to the good ol' days when men were men and we kept it to ourselves, and out of the government's view?

LOL Men were men? I quit growing because I had too much to lose. Now I have a solid defense because I stay in numbers. Probably would be able to keep my house and stuff. Not that complicated for me. 

LOL Men were men? I quit growing because I had too much to lose. Now I have a solid defense because I stay in numbers. Probably would be able to keep my house and stuff. Not that complicated for me. 

It's a tongue in cheek joke Jim. I should know better than to cast pearls before swine. But hey, I smoke dope.

me too, but I don't like not having security that following the law is supposed to give you.

We are all a product of our experiences. Mine have been good with Michigan Medical Marijuana. I feel like that if I stay in numbers I have solid ground to stand on. I have been very high profile at times and it's been all good. 

We are all a product of our experiences. Mine have been good with Michigan Medical Marijuana. I feel like that if I stay in numbers I have solid ground to stand on. I have been very high profile at times and it's been all good. 

rodger that, good to hear, I haven't had any problems, but I stay legal,far from high profile, but as we all know. not a secret. lots of horror stories on here,just kills me some days.

Thanks 

I wish you would let me inn on your secret  i would love to grow my own cannabis to use for medical reasons 

Are you sure about that bro?  I have heard different, ive heard alot of non story's about you bawahahahahaha!  But nothing about you sticking your head out!

Hey brotha come on over and put your kneck on my chicken log, now that is High profile!  I have been dying for me some chicken!!!!!

Peace

Are you sure about that bro?  I have heard different, ive heard alot of non story's about you bawahahahahaha!  But nothing about you sticking your head out!

Hey brotha come on over and put your kneck on my chicken log, now that is High profile!  I have been dying for me some chicken!!!!!

Peace

I started a compassion club in the very beginning '09. Went there and stood up in front of anyone who wanted to meet me for over three months time. Compassion clubs in Bay City and Saginaw. It didn't get any higher profile than that. This was while you were hiding (under a rock).

Edited by Restorium2

I started a compassion club in the very beginning '09. Went there and stood up in front of anyone who wanted to meet me for over three months time. Compassion clubs in Bay City and Saginaw. It's didn't get any higher profile than that. This was while you were hiding (under a rock).

Jim. Please don't overstate things. For that we have Fox news. You attended exactly two meetings and spent what little treasury money we had on hot dogs with Swampy. You were nowhere to be found when we had actual work to do to protect our rights under the law. Your name was not on any press releases, schmooze letters to law enforcement offices, in media interviews, reporting, and opinions, or business papers. DO NOT INSULT MY FRIENDS.

Edited by GregS

Jim. Please don't overstate things. For that we have Fox news. You attended exactly two meetings and spent what little treasury money we had on hot dogs with Swampy. You were nowhere to be found when we had actual work to do to protect our rights under the law. Your name was not on any press releases, letters to law enforcement offices, in press interviews and opinions, or business papers. DO NOT INSULT MY FRIENDS.

I ran three meetings. You said you would help but were only a weight to carry. A quivering mass of helplessness. You didn't even show at the third meeting. There was no treasury. We didn't even attempt to collect money. I used my own funds to make hundreds of copies of forms to help patients. That is God's Honest Truth. Swampy was my friend. I helped him until the end when he died. I don't lie because I don't need to. 

Jim. Please don't overstate things. For that we have Fox news. You attended exactly two meetings and spent what little treasury money we had on hot dogs with Swampy. You were nowhere to be found when we had actual work to do to protect our rights under the law. Your name was not on any press releases, schmooze letters to law enforcement offices, in media interviews, reporting, and opinions, or business papers. DO NOT INSULT MY FRIENDS.

WTF is wrong with you? 

I ran three meetings. You said you would help but were only a weight to carry. A quivering mass of helplessness. You didn't even show at the third meeting. There was no treasury. We didn't even attempt to collect money. I used my own funds to make hundreds of copies of forms to help patients. That is God's Honest Truth. Swampy was my friend. I helped him until the end when he died. I don't lie because I don't need to. 

Bawahahahahahaha!  wow and greg wasnt even a person that bad mouthed you!! :watching:

Scoobie doobie doo!

lolololololol tehetehetehe!

Peace

oh Hi Greg, I did try and call you last week, we have been playing phone tag, I hope to see you in person soon!