Hortiluxs Ceramic Hps

pergamum362

So hortilux is coming out with a ceramic version of high pressure sodium, available in 600,400, and 250, but it can only be run on digital ballasts. I think ill give them a shot and swap out the vertical bare bulb 600 mh's i use as supportive lighting in between rows to even out the sprectrum and try one square under just the ceramic hps. The phamplet just says coming soon, so we will see.

Also..american made. I like buying products based and manufActured here as well as shopping at the few local, non chain store hydro shops left. Im fully aware of cheaper alternatives..after 7 years i would hope everyone is. For a yearly cost to run hortilux as opposed to chines brands, its an extra 400 dollars a year compared to the cheaper over seas brands.

I have used a Phillips 400 watt ceramic HPS for vegging and flowering a few times. They work quite well - good in fact. They lasted 3 years before bulb failure.

Phillips no longer manufactures these bulbs so they are hard to find if they can be found at all. Ceramic MH/ HPS bulbs are expensive. The ones I have are for magnetic HPS ballasts. I will be going back to using MH conversion bulbs in magnetic HPS ballast to see how those work.

ive never heard of that brand making bulbs, interesting lol.

600w don't throw down enough micromoles.

never noticed a difference between meds grown under 1k compared to 600w.

I found no info on release date, i did email there sales department.

All my GC tests under 1k lights crushed anything under 600w.

If u can grow under 1k light why would u throw 60% of light at your plant by using a 600 watter.

Here are the typical readings for each light:

• A good 600W, 230V HPS lamp will emit around 1080 µmol/s or 1.08 µmol per Watt

• A good 600W, 400V HPS lamp will emit around 1120 µmol/s or 1.12 µmol per Watt

• A good 315W, 400V CDM (ceramic discharge metal-halide) produces around 1.9 µmol per Watt

• A good 1000W, 400V lamp registers around 2.1 µmol per Watt

600w don't throw down enough micromoles.

ive never heard of that brand making bulbs, interesting lol.

never noticed a difference between meds grown under 1k compared to 600w.

I found no info on release date, i did email there sales department.

I was curious about the opinions on the two bulbs. (600w vs. 1000w) Is there some fact based knowledge one should consider when deciding between the two? Or is it more of a "right tool for the job" sort of thing?

AIKID, I just threw down some facts, tons more info avail doing a Google search. 600w is most efficient lamp won't argue that, although it is a tired arguement, they don't provide enough micromoles for optimum thc production. Most people that use 600w do so because of room dimensions and heat issues, excluding supplemental 600w lamps in a garden running 1ks as primary light source.

By default this makes the 1ks the right tool for the job.

As for 1ks, people can get crazy about their lamps, swear by xyz brand, change every 6 months or one year blah blah blah.

A lot of interesting side by side testing avail on YouTube. Also a lot of our lighting theories coincide with fish tanks. Look into guys that are growing corals and maintain tanks. Learn a lot more from them than you will by reading most grow sites.

FYI, I personally prefer a higher end lamp, Hortilux, Phillips for Gavitas or Ushios.

Interested in those numbers from Hortilux Perga.

@scarlet , emails out. Waiting on responce. At the very least, based on the sprectrum graphs available they will be better supportive than the metal halides i use now, and possibly better as veg starters. Time will tell, cant get a price point on them either, but as i understand it ceramics have a lamp life double and triple compared to conventionals. I wish my ceilings warranted the use of double ended.

AIKID, I just threw down some facts, tons more info avail doing a Google search. 600w is most efficient lamp won't argue that, although it is a tired arguement, they don't provide enough micromoles for optimum thc production. Most people that use 600w do so because of room dimensions and heat issues, excluding supplemental 600w lamps in a garden running 1ks as primary light source.

By default this makes the 1ks the right tool for the job.

As for 1ks, people can get crazy about their lamps, swear by xyz brand, change every 6 months or one year blah blah blah.

A lot of interesting side by side testing avail on YouTube. Also a lot of our lighting theories coincide with fish tanks. Look into guys that are growing corals and maintain tanks. Learn a lot more from them than you will by reading most grow sites.

FYI, I personally prefer a higher end lamp, Hortilux, Phillips for Gavitas or Ushios.

Interested in those numbers from Hortilux Perga.

Gotcha, SB. So based on the data you previously posted, is it safe to double the figures for (2) good 600W bulbs and say that even with (2) bulbs one is only getting slightly higher outputs than with (1) 1000W? Would the cost of running (2) 600W be much more expensive than that of (1) 1000W?

you mind want to check out plantmax, there bulbs are the same as a hortilux and only cost 25.00 ea.. I hvae used them for years now..  https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88101/PX-LU1000.html

I have also used these bulbs for years with great results

and they are cheap enough to buy a few extra to have on hand

look at the spectrum and lumen output

do the math

take the adice of growers who have experience with them

try them yourself

and then decide

I will never buy a hortilux bulb again

KF