Kansas rep Stephen Alford says african-americans respond the worst to marijuana, because of their genetics

Michael Komorn

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/08/gop-state-rep-steve-alford-of-kansas-say

GOP State Rep. Steve Alford of Kansas Says Marijuana Was Outlawed Because 'the African Americans...Responded the Worst...Just Because of their Character Makeup, Their Genetics'

Brian Doherty |Jan. 8, 2018 5:55 pm

Interestingly appalling views on the racist roots of pot prohibition, from Kansas state GOP Rep. Steve Alford (R–District 124).

The video below originally posted by a local paper, the Garden City Telegram. The comments were made Saturday during a Legislative Coffee session at St. Catherine Hospital.

After saying the smell of pot in the air "takes away his freedom," Alford speculates on, you know, the real reasons we outlawed pot.

Here's the lesson in pharmacology and history Rep. Alford presented to some of his constituents: "Any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs," Alford said. "What you really need to do is go back in the '30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs...What was the reason why they did that?"

Gee, Rep. Alford, I guess we just don't know!

"One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we're trying to do is we're trying to do a complete reverse with people not remembering what has happened in the past."

I don't necessarily believe he hated to say it, but perhaps Alford will grow to have hated he said it.

Here's the video:

Some more nuanced background from Jacob Sullum at Reason on the racist roots and practice of drug prohibition.

According to the Garden City Telegram, no one in the room when Alford said this was African-American.

Remember that the US Govt says there is no gateway theory.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. 

Read more on the racist reasons why marijuana was banned

I would like to thank Alford for proving to everyone that these types are still out there thriving. That is priceless. When they keep it to themselves it's harder to fight it.

Just like Trump being an asshat in public. It's a constant reminder of what a person shouldn't be thinking, saying, and doing. America needs that early and often these days. Flush them out and show them for what they are. I just feel sorry for their parents. They must be really feeling badly about the terrible job they did raising their kids. If you are a parent/grandparent please try and teach your kids not to hate. Your kids will just suffer and be idiots their whole lives if you don't. 

Edited by Restorium2

A Kansas state lawmaker has reportedly stepped down from two leadership posts after making controversial comments about African-Americans and marijuana.

State Rep. Steve Alford (R), who said over the weekend that African-Americans respond “worst” to marijuana because of “their genetics” and “character makeup,” resigned from his posts as the chairman of the House Children and Seniors Committee and vice chairman of a legislative task force on child welfare, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.

Alford made the comments at a “Legislative Coffee” session, arguing against a county Democratic official who spoke in favor of legalizing marijuana in the state.

Alford argued that Jim Crow-era bans on drugs were put in place to protect citizens from black Americans’ drug use.

“What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas and across the United States,” Alford said. “What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African-Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

Alford later apologized for the comments in a statement, according to The Hutchinson News, after facing major backlash from Republicans and Democrats.

“I was wrong, I regret my comments and I sincerely apologize to anyone whom I have hurt,” Alford said.