Regalia, Procidic2 and powdery mildew

caregiver123

Neem oil, potassium bicarbonate, h2o2, milk, among a few other things, all seem to be decent treatments for dealing with PM. Frankly, I like the idea of just spraying them once in infancy and being done with it.

I have monster cropped some clones and it’s possible they may have inherited some PM. I just want it nipped in the bud now. I do NOT want to battle it throughout growth and maturity. 

Unfortunately PM is a full reset, clean up, and get your environment in check so it doesn't happen again type of situation. Do not use eagle 20 unless you do not care for the health of those consuming the cannabis. There are a lot of products that can knock back PM to get your harvest off, at least to the naked eye. Get your cannabis tested if you make it to harvest and you will see what I mean. 

Sorry this happened to you! Keep your head up and grow on!

Well, apparently I have a small spider mite infestation also. This grow has been a frickin nightmare. I will NEVER use a minimalist approach again. I guess I just got lucky in the past. I will be treating them with as many things as possible from the start.  

Picked up something called Green Cleaner from the hydro store today. It cost just as much as Regalia or Procidic2, but it treats PM and mites and I can get it a few ounces at a time so I don’t have to blow $100 to see if it works. Just soaked them up and down with it at 2oz/gallon. It did seem to literally wash the PM right off the leaves. Although, I’m much more concerned about these stupid mites, which seemed to appear out of nowhere overnight. Gonna reapply at 1oz/gallon in a couple days. I pray this works.  And there is no frickin way I’m trashing everything and starting over. 

I'm a big fan of Monterrey Garden Spray  for mite eradication,  non toxic ,and safe. worked great for me, and most folks that tried it.

Monterey LG6135 Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad Concentrate 32oz  

• For control of foliage feeding worms (caterpillars), thrips, fire ants and other pests
  • Contains spinosad, produced by fermentation
  • Can be used on vegetable, fruit crops, ornamentals, and turf
  • Controls caterpillars as well as beetles, leaf miners, thrips, beetles and more
  • Monterey garden insect spray contains spinosad
  • The newest agricultural chemistry to be introduced into the homeowner market
  • A bacterial product produced by fermentation
  • For use on ornamentals and edible plants up to the day of harvest
  • Also controls broadleaf weeds

After reading up about Monterey, it’s seems it is not really made to treat and kill mites. It may still work, I won’t deny that, but there is too much debate about the effectiveness of spinosad on mites.  

After the initial drenching of Green Cleaner, things definitely look better. The PM especially- the spots that have been repeatedly popping up after being treated with H2o2 do not seem to be returning after Green cleaner drench. 

The mites look better also, but they are far from totally eradicated. I still found some living upon close inspection. I will trim again and give them another soaking tonight. I realize that it takes several vigilante applications over a week or two to truly be effective.
In reading about spider mites, many people were talking about physically squishing them and watching them abandon the plant as it’s treated - I dunno wtf these people are talking about, cuz I can just barely see these things using my 10x loupe. They create a sort of thin cobweb, under and around the leaves. I don’t care what kind of mites they are - it seems they are all treated the same way. I just found those comments confusing. 

Thanks for everyone’s ongoing help in dealing all this. You guys rock!

Azamax is the first thing I looked up after seeing these mites.  But being halfway thru flower, I wanted to use something as gentle and inert as possible cuz there is no way I can keep whatever I spray off the buds themselves.  This Green Cleaner seems to be working, but it’s clearly gonna take multiple applications. Such a pain in the donkey to soak the undersides of everything. Takes forever and makes a friggin mess. I HATE these bugs. 

2 minutes ago, caregiver123 said:

Azamax is the first thing I looked up after seeing these mites.  But being halfway thru flower, I wanted to use something as gentle and inert as possible cuz there is no way I can keep whatever I spray off the buds themselves.  This Green Cleaner seems to be working, but it’s clearly gonna take multiple applications. Such a pain in the donkey to soak the undersides of everything. Takes forever and makes a friggin mess. I HATE these bugs. 

Yeah. I do not spray flowering plants after they have begun developing buds (3-4 weeks into flower cycle). Best thing you can do at that point is to use some organic, non-toxic treatment on the flowering plants and spray any other plants with Azamax. I don't know of any organic, non-toxic methods, but I would think that the internet would be replete with them.

If you have to soldier through, I dig it. I just had to give my honest advice.

As Resto suggested dunking would be a good option for mites. I have used Azamax in veg with success on mites, it took weeks and multiple applications but did the trick. I know of others who have used it in flower with success. I choose not to spray in flower.

With the PM issue I would suggest cleaning all grow room surfaces thoroughly to prevent a resurfacing event. In addition to that you'll need to keep your environment in check. The only way PM can take a foothold and grow is if it has the correct conditions to do so. No more than a 10*F swing in temperature between lights ON/OFF, 82*F max temp, and relative humidity between 40-55% makes for smooth sailing in my experience. Once your room is clean, PM is knocked back on your plants, and your environment is in check you should be able to finish the run. Just make sure to clean after this run, PM spores will be lying dormant everywhere just waiting for your dehumidifier to fail, humidity to spike and another plague of PM to spread.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! I have been using this Green Cleaner for the past couple weeks. It has been working. But this last time I used it- it totally burnt all the leaves. They are all yellowed and dried up. I used the same concentration and lights off etc. So frustrating, it’s never ending with this round. The buds don’t seem too effected. They got slightly yellowed as well, but under the loupe the trichs still look good. 

It there anything I can do to help these sickly plants recover  (only a couple look ravaged)?? They only have a few more weeks to go, but I’m not sure how well they will survive with basically no leaves. 

Thanks guys!

• 7 months later...

Powdery mildew is one of the most widespread plant pests. It tends to affect flowering plants and fruit trees or bushes (roses, apple trees, etc.) as well as cannabis. The spores are in the air or on contaminated plants in the garden and can easily be drawn into your grow room by ventilators.

In warm, dry climate powdery mildew spreads widely. But we have also observed heavy infestations particularly after a long and wet winter. The symptoms even disappeared occasionally during a heat wave. It is therefore unlikely that powdery mildew only affects cannabis plants during a warm and dry weather period.