Largest brain study of 62,454 scans identifies drivers of brain aging

Yer not gonna like this one...

In the largest known brain imaging study, scientists from Amen Clinics (Costa Mesa, CA), Google, John’s Hopkins University, University of California, Los Angeles and the University of California, San Francisco evaluated 62,454 brain SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) scans of more than 30,000 individuals from 9 months old to 105 years of age to investigate factors that accelerate brain aging. SPECT tomography) evaluates regional cerebral blood flow in the brain that is reduced in various disorders.

Researchers studied 128 brain regions to predict the chronological age of the patient. Older age predicted from the scan compared to the actual chronological age was interpreted as accelerated aging.  The study found that a number of brain disorders and behaviors predicted accelerated aging, especially schizophrenia, which showed an average of 4 years of premature aging, cannabis abuse (2.8 years of accelerated aging), bipolar disorder (1.6 years accelerated aging), ADHD (1.4 years accelerated aging) and alcohol abuse (0.6 years accelerated aging).  Interestingly, the researchers did not observe accelerated aging in depression and aging, which they hypothesize may be due to different types of brain patterns for these disorders.

https://www.iospress.nl/ios_news/largest-brain-study-of-62454-scans-identifies-drivers-of-brain-aging/

The full article (thanks to sci-hub) mentions "cannabis use disorder" but I don't know what the "How often and for how long" criteria are other than the general info that wikipedia says on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_use_disorder

Edited by zeebudz

I call BS because they have cannabis abuse at 2.8 and alcohol abuse at 0.6.

People who abuse alcohol are pickle brained in a very short time. 

From the observations I have made over a lifetime I that see these guesses/results are skewed. 

They determine these abuses by hearsay. No clinical proof of anything. Just listening to people and guessing at their scans.

They let people tell them what they think has caused their accelerated aging. Then they interpret that with their preconceived ideas that they wanted to prove in the first place. 

I've seen this same thing with people near me. People who drink their arses off and then smoke marijuana want to blame their stupidness and confusion on the marijuana. Then they quit smoking marijuana and submerge themselves into depression and dementia. Eventually die way before their time. Yet this study is trying to tell us just the opposite.

Sure looks like the alcohol lobby got their hands on this. I can't think of any other reason the alcohol and marijuana results are flip flopped to not match real world reality. 

7 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

How do they define "abuse"? Did those who "abused" cannabis use it by itself or in combination with alcohol and/or other drugs?

Doesn't sound like it was set up as a scientific study, just a review of data.

The abuse had to be self reported. Which has to be interpreted by a human interviewing the subjects. That means that there were at least two 'places' in the survey where the results could be skewed for any reason that the individuals felt like skewing them. It could be just wrongness. It could be on purpose. When you have the alcohol results to compare to it all comes into focus that it actually was on purpose. Bungling pseudo scientists that can't even hide their crime well. Whatever substance they are on is making them mean and stupid. They should work on that by ingesting some cannabis oil and getting off the bad drugs they are on. 

12 hours ago, Wild Bill said:

How do they define "abuse"? Did those who "abused" cannabis use it by itself or in combination with alcohol and/or other drugs?

Doesn't sound like it was set up as a scientific study, just a review of data.

Yeah, that's the thing, they DIDN'T define what abuse was. Since they have to rely on self reported info with such a study, I would have thought that would at least have recorded things like frequency over time, be it cannabis or alcohol (the latter which we KNOW can cause irresponsible brain damage). Very strange report...

Edit: typo, but I sorta like "irresponsible" brain damage 

Edited by zeebudz

Remember all those negative ads Schuette put up last time when the medical marijuana law was on the ballot?

Looks like he's going to be a little more stealthy with his negative marijuana campaign this time.

Get out and vote that sneaky snake Schuette to the curb. He drives a wedge between marijuana and public acceptance. Always will. 

On 9/3/2018 at 9:35 AM, Restorium2 said:

I call BS because they have cannabis abuse at 2.8 and alcohol abuse at 0.6.

I agree. As cannabis is a known certified, bona-fide and patented neuroprotectant, while alcohol is a known brain cell killer, this study seems quite flawed.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

I bet they mixed cannabis and tobacco users again. I bet...

What? WHAT? NO MENTION OF TOBACCO IN THE ENTIRE STUDY.

hah.

This is the list of diagnoses that Dr. Amen claims to treat:

ADD/ADHD
Addiction
Alzheimer’s Disease
Anxiety
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Behavior Problems
Bipolar Disorder
Brain Toxicity and Infection
Concussion
Dementia
Depression
Lyme Disease
Marital Conflict
Memory Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
PTSD
Traumatic Brain Injury

Here is a list of the therapies that are offered at the clinic:

Coaching, Hormonal Replacement Therapy, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Integrative Medicine, IV Nutrient Therapy, Ketamine Injection Therapy, Micronutrient Therapy, Neurofeedback, Nutritional Counseling, Psychotherapy, QEEG, and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:58 PM, mishigami bear said:

This is the list of diagnoses that Dr. Amen claims to treat:

ADD/ADHD
Addiction
Alzheimer’s Disease
Anxiety
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Behavior Problems
Bipolar Disorder
Brain Toxicity and Infection
Concussion
Dementia
Depression
Lyme Disease
Marital Conflict
Memory Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
PTSD
Traumatic Brain Injury

Here is a list of the therapies that are offered at the clinic:

Coaching, Hormonal Replacement Therapy, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Integrative Medicine, IV Nutrient Therapy, Ketamine Injection Therapy, Micronutrient Therapy, Neurofeedback, Nutritional Counseling, Psychotherapy, QEEG, and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.

Quack quack. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck...