Greenthumb Seeds G13 Grow Journal

porcupine

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments everybody!

I wanted to make a quick update.

I flipped the girls on Saturday April 2, to their initial 12/12 flowering cycle. I gave them a light top dressing of dolomitic lime at this time too.

They have been adjusted to a 12.5/11.5 lighting schedule, and I am currently giving them a constant 800 PPM's of carbon dioxide.

I'll be adding some ZHO from Bontanicare which is a rhizosphere root inoculate, and includes various trichodermal and endomychorrizal fungi species, along with either some un-sulphered molasses or some Roots Organic Trinity, which I was given a couple sample bottles of when switching out my CO2 tanks today.

On a side note, I would like to state that up to this point, this grow has been 100% organic, and that any fertilizers or supplements that I have used, have been OMRI certified, except Botanicare's Liquid Karma which is 100% organic I believe. I don't see it changing either, unless something drastic needs to happen. I am not really concerned about being 100% organic, and to be honest, I was going to use a synthetic like Jack's Classic or GH as a cost saver this time around, but I had so much fertilizer left over that I figured I would go ahead and just continue using it as there was enough left to do this run, and I have had no issues in the past with Natures Nectar fertilizers, so I'll just keep it up for now. I do increase the PH of the fertilizer in case anyone else uses this brand. The manufacturer says that you do not need to do that, but I do it just in case.

Look for some pictures on Saturday or Sunday.

I'll bite...whats up with the 12.5 hr light schedule?

It provides a little extra yield. I was actually going to run them on a 14/10 or 13/11 as most strains will flower under the extra hours of sunlight unless they are equatorial in origin. It just gives them an extra 1/2 hour of photosynthesis to produce sugars. I decided not to experiment too much on the first grow with the strain, but will find it's critical flowering period in the next few cycles with it. You can significantly increase yield by finding a particular strains critical flowering period.

It provides a little extra yield. I was actually going to run them on a 14/10 or 13/11 as most strains will flower under the extra hours of sunlight unless they are equatorial in origin. It just gives them an extra 1/2 hour of photosynthesis to produce sugars. I decided not to experiment too much on the first grow with the strain, but will find it's critical flowering period in the next few cycles with it. You can significantly increase yield by finding a particular strains critical flowering period.

That`s pretty interesting. I never thought of regular strains benefiting from extra light hours in flower but it makes sense as long as the strain doesn`t re-veg. I have heard of light sensitive and autoflowers yielding better though so it totally makes sense. Thanks, Afi

An easy way to find out when your strain will flower is by growing it outdoors and paying careful attention to when it starts to visually show that it is flowering and track back about a week or so and check the almanacs for the daylight totals on or around that date and you will have found your approximate critical flowering time.

Most strains in Michigan start to flower outdoors in the last three weeks of August, and that means those plants only need from 10 - 10.75 hours of darkness to initiate flowering. Two hours of extra sunlight should produce much more. Each strain is individual and that is why it is important to find it's critical light period. A 12/12 photo period is just a starting point, and works universally with all strains.

Some strains may flower under the fourteen but not necessarily like it, so a good rule of thumb is to keep records on your strain and vary the photo period by 15-30 minute increments each cycle.

In a way it's the same as learning your plants nutritional preference's over time.

Very interesting...please let me know what you find.

keep them pics coming porc :thumbsu: im about a week behind ya with the chemo iranian and i wanna try to catch ya :bow:

You're going overtake me once they hit them buckets!!!

i just have to rob the thread for a second :)

i caught you ....

pics man ..... we want pics!! :):notfair:

ok, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Fascinating...

I tend to go in the other direction...11.5/12.5 which I was under the impression could lead to a slight yield improvement. I have noticed first hand though, that Endless Sky starts growing pistills before ever going to a flowering schedule so you are probably on to something there...will have to ponder this one for a while. Just goes to show you that there's a zillion different ways to do it, I guess...No right or wrong way, just more successful and less successful ways...with such a fine line in between sometimes...

Be nice to see a lab type experiment running an indica strain in 5 different chambers at 14/10, 13/11, 12/12, 11/13, & 10/14, just to see what the difference would be...

Then again, I'm a sucker for knowledge...

Peace,

The Happy Wanderer

If you go the other direction you will decrease the yield because of less photosynthesis, but the finish time is generally up 10%-25% quicker when going with a longer dark period (with a corresponding reduction in yield). A 36 hour initial onset of darkness can also provide a quicker finish in certain strains as it really cues the plant in to initiate the flowering cycle A.S.A.P.

That`s pretty interesting. I never thought of regular strains benefiting from extra light hours in flower but it makes sense as long as the strain doesn`t re-veg. I have heard of light sensitive and autoflowers yielding better though so it totally makes sense. Thanks, Afi

An easy way to find out when your strain will flower is by growing it outdoors and paying careful attention to when it starts to visually show that it is flowering and track back about a week or so and check the almanacs for the daylight totals on or around that date and you will have found your approximate critical flowering time.

Most strains in Michigan start to flower outdoors in the last three weeks of August, and that means those plants only need from 10 - 10.75 hours of darkness to initiate flowering. Two hours of extra sunlight should produce much more. Each strain is individual and that is why it is important to find it's critical light period. A 12/12 photo period is just a starting point, and works universally with all strains.

Some strains may flower under the fourteen but not necessarily like it, so a good rule of thumb is to keep records on your strain and vary the photo period by 15-30 minute increments each cycle.

In a way it's the same as learning your plants nutritional preference's over time.

Very interesting...please let me know what you find.

Fascinating...

I tend to go in the other direction...11.5/12.5 which I was under the impression could lead to a slight yield improvement. I have noticed first hand though, that Endless Sky starts growing pistills before ever going to a flowering schedule so you are probably on to something there...will have to ponder this one for a while. Just goes to show you that there's a zillion different ways to do it, I guess...No right or wrong way, just more successful and less successful ways...with such a fine line in between sometimes...

Be nice to see a lab type experiment running an indica strain in 5 different chambers at 14/10, 13/11, 12/12, 11/13, & 10/14, just to see what the difference would be...

Then again, I'm a sucker for knowledge...

Peace,

The Happy Wanderer

This is a very interesting topic, deserving of its own thread. I've been thinking I could increase the light period during flowering but never wanted to risk it. It would seem fine, since I believe most parts of the world have less than 12 hours without daylight.