Plant Number Limits - We Need To Fight This

JayBuds

The plant number limits are unreasonable in that they keep us from providing the best medicine possible for our patients, they make our job very hard.

When you grow from seed its is important to narrow down the best genetics and then clone/breed those genetics, with marijuana grown from seed it is time consuming and each plant in unique, only if we could grow hundreds of plants from seeds and breed/clone them could we truly pick the best one for our patients ailments, only then could we provide our patients with the absolute best quality of medicine.

Thankfully we are able to do this by sharing clones with one another and propagating our own best 'from seed' plants using genetics from around the world we can make some headway but only when plant limit # are eliminated can we truly advance cannabis as medicine while remaining 100% legal and see the quality of cannabis improve, the availability, and also effectiveness of this medicine.

What you are referring to is sequential versus parallel breeding. Commercially if you were looking for a superior plant you might plant thousands of seeds and then see if there are any plants with the desired characteristics or mutations. With a limited number of plants it is done sequentially and ring to is the difference between sequentially so time becomes the factor.

Leave your argument. Perhaps you should join Safer and or Norml and devote your efforts to legalization. Within the context of mmj trying to fight for this is currently going to be a loosing game.

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

?¿ Are you serious? Im allowed 48 and only use 37......My patients are covered and for 4 patients I have around 8.5 in reserve of various strains (and I don't sell to dispensaries ever)......

More plants sounds like the concerns of a person trying to make a living and probably not something the MMMA Board would champion.

Though I don't personally speak for the MMMA (just tha site guy) I've yet to talk to Joe on the phone and hear him say..."Man we need more plants". Can't really see this as a concern with everything else going on with our law..

Best

i gotta agree with jack, big cat, and the others on this one.

plant count is not the issue..... but limiting the plant count AND limiting the amount we can take off of said plant (basically) is what makes it tough.

we need the "on-hand and usable" amount changed if anything at all needs to be changed.

any grower worth his/her weight in soil can produce enough for the "average" patient without concern.

as garfield touched on................ a more skilled grower actually can have extra plant spots in their grows and be afforded the chance to take a few extra clones and then grow out the best/trash the rest......... or maybe pop some reg beans and mess with males/females and not have their patient supplies interrupted........

my own opinion is 12 plants...... and let me keep/have on hand what i get off those 12.

Ok I agree with what you all are saying - plant count is fine to provide us with meds and good meds if we clone and plenty extra, we are blessed with a higher number than many states and its plenty for perpetual grow to get what we need and then some, I understand that but it is not the best we can do. We could provide even better meds if more people could breed safely and select the properties that are desired to treat specific patients. We could treat our patients for less money. There is also the point that we should be able to grow as much medicine as we need to treat patients. I understand there needs to be a ceiling to keep it in the hands of the people but it should be a hundred or hundreds of plants and no less so that we can grow the best we can grow safely and legally.

What you are referring to is sequential versus parallel breeding. Commercially if you were looking for a superior plant you might plant thousands of seeds and then see if there are any plants with the desired characteristics or mutations. With a limited number of plants it is done sequentially and ring to is the difference between sequentially so time becomes the factor.

Leave your argument. Perhaps you should join Safer and or Norml and devote your efforts to legalization. Within the context of mmj trying to fight for this is currently going to be a loosing game.

Right on, yea....pipe dreams....Im not into politics or money so ill pass on the suggestion but I am very passionate about marijuana and I am also a health professional, I am just looking out for the people in my life but I hear ya, for those who think this is about money I can understand why they might jump to that conclusion but please consider all the benefits it would be to our medicine and program. In my eyes we should have the capability to breed the best medicine possible for our patients using whatever means necessary and many people will do so anyway when terminally ill, plant number limits of less than 100 is a very unfair law. -Again- Yes it is easy to produce enough high quality medicine with our numbers but if we could grow more we could do a better job through breeding and also save a lot of time - we could also provide those without the means to breed top quality genetics locally. If for example I am looking for a strain with anti-inflammatory properties to replace my pharma meds I could go to a breeder and buy the best anti-inflammatory clone of thousands of plants and many generations.

Instead of 'grand daddy purps' or 'green crack' how about 'painkiller' and 'appetite' - instead of 'bubba kush' and 'ak47' how about 'anti-anxiety' and 'sleep' (just kidin' lets keep the cool names)

plant count is not the issue..... but limiting the plant count AND limiting the amount we can take off of said plant (basically) is what makes it tough.

we need the "on-hand and usable" amount changed if anything at all needs to be changed.

any grower worth his/her weight in soil can produce enough for the "average" patient without concern.

as garfield touched on................ a more skilled grower actually can have extra plant spots in their grows and be afforded the chance to take a few extra clones and then grow out the best/trash the rest......... or maybe pop some reg beans and mess with males/females and not have their patient supplies interrupted........

my own opinion is 12 plants...... and let me keep/have on hand what i get off those 12.

amen to that man!

The plant number limits are unreasonable in that they keep us from providing the best medicine possible for our patients, they make our job very hard.

When you grow from seed its is important to narrow down the best genetics and then clone/breed those genetics, with marijuana grown from seed it is time consuming and each plant in unique, only if we could grow hundreds of plants from seeds and breed/clone them could we truly pick the best one for our patients ailments, only then could we provide our patients with the absolute best quality of medicine.

Thankfully we are able to do this by sharing clones with one another and propagating our own best 'from seed' plants using genetics from around the world we can make some headway but only when plant limit # are eliminated can we truly advance cannabis as medicine while remaining 100% legal and see the quality of cannabis improve, the availability, and also effectiveness of this medicine.

Amen

My issue is not with plant count my problem is what is considered a plant. I would like to see if there are no roots it is not a plant.

That way I could take a few clones just to make sure I get good roots. I do this now but have to grow so few mature plants so I can't take at least 2 cuts at a time. I take two when I get roots on one I check with my circle of friends and see if anyone would like the other if not it gets pulled and thrown away so I can clone another plant.

As far as producing meds, plant counts are good for me too. Always have a few spots to play with. Not counting Clones while rooting would be nice & allow for a little more fine tuning & selection with genetics.

Usable amount IMO should be bumped up to allow for curing and to insure against problems now & then.

Other than that I'm good.

I have no problem with the plant count. Its its the possession limits that need adjusting. If your grow goes well for an individual you can go all year without needing a second harvest....but only if you exceed your maximum possession amount. So then you lose the protection of the affirmative defense due to having more than 2.5 oz. So whats the point of having the card in the first place then?

It gets to be a pain in your schedule and alot of wasted electricity to have a constant grow going with only one plant under it. Ya can't even leave town to go on vacation since we don't want any friends or neighbors to know we are growing due to the social stigma attached to it. Who is going to water the garden and watch for disease/bugs? Since two successful plants alone will put you over your possession limit what are we supposed to do with no state level clarification on P2P transfers of our overages?

Plant limits are OK as they are. Its the other issues that need to be addressed or everyone will just go underground again as in the old days.

As far as plant numbers I think the best solution if there has to be a limit is that the limit should only count flowering plants, everyone wins that way and maybe a hard limit of 100 or 200 plants total.

so you want or need to have a room full of budding plants and 150 clones too?lmao. ok sounds fun....but why?

Plant count is great here in michigan. I agree it sucks trying to balance your flowering plants with veg plants and clones. I prefer to take many clones and only select the best looking ones.

I disagree with making the limit on flowering plants. That is really hard to enforce. Police don't understand growing. "What is a flowering plant?" I can easily see them asking that question.

I feel the plant limit should be restricted by a certain height. For example, If said plant is over 10" tall, it is a plant. You need a very clear and precise definition, otherwise, LEO get rapidly confused.

This would stop cuttings and small clones being counted as plants.

Edit: JayB and everyone else that thinks you need to be limited by 12 flowering plants at a time. That is extremely excessive. You are really not helping the medical situation. I can EASILY provide enough medicine to last myself between harvests with 2 flowering plants only. This leaves 10 plants to balance between clones and veg for the next batch. Of course, I flower more than 2 plants so I can choose the top shelf medicine to medicate with. All the rest is destroyed...

I concur, 12 plants is suffient (IMO) if you want bigger yeild check out some of BubbleGrowers tutorials or buy a Jorge Cervantes DVD, you will be surprised how much you can acquire off just one plant let alone 12...

We have bigger fires to put out with this law right now, I see no reason to start lighting matches in other places... (IMO)

Trix

Archived