Ex-Michigan Student Shot By Deputy Files Suit

http://www.freep.com/article/20110309/NEWS06/110309014/Ex-Michigan-college-student-shot-by-deputy-files-suit?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Ex-Michigan college student shot by deputy files suit

A former Grand Valley State University student who was shot by an Ottawa County sheriff's deputy during a drug raid two years ago has sued the deputy, the county and the sheriff's department.

Derek Copp's complaint was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court and alleges the shooting was "not an accident."

The suit claims Deputy Ryan Huizenga was guilty of gross negligence and assault when he shot the then-20-year-old in the chest during a 2009 drug raid. Copp says officers with the West Michigan Enforcement Team were negligent, reckless and used excessive force.

Copp was shot in the chest and suffered two fractured ribs, and liver and lung damage after Huizenga's gun, a .40-caliber Glock, discharged as officers entered his apartment. An undercover officer previously had purchased small amounts of marijuana at least three times there.

"Huizenga pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at an unarmed, non-threatening, harmless citizen," Copp's attorney, Fred Dilley, wrote in the lawsuit.

His client spent nine days in the hospital and, since his recovery, has had trouble sleeping and required counseling, Dilley wrote. Copp was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Dilley says police should have known Copp didn't pose a threat, because they had been in the apartment for previous undercover pot buys.

Ottawa County Undersheriff Greg Steigenga declined comment on the case, but county attorney Doug Van Essen says the shooting was an accident.

"I don't think there is any question the deputy did not intend to shoot. There was a confluence of events that happened. I think there was a number of startle reflexes, and there was an accidental discharge," Van Essen told The Grand Rapids Press.

Copp, who graduated with a degree in film and video, is spending a few months at a Tennessee monastery that focuses on inner transformation through yoga and meditation before moving onto a film-related job this summer, Dilley said.

Huizenga was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm and sentenced to probation, community service and a fine. He also was removed from the West Michigan Enforcement Team and reassigned to road patrol.

Copp was sentenced to probation, community service and a fine on a marijuana charge.

The Holland Sentinel says the lawsuit doesn't specify an amount sought in damages.

Dilley says he also wants a judge to rule on whether Ottawa County sheriff's deputies are using proper policies and training for drug raids.

About time. :goodjob:

No kidding. It killed me when it happened and Copp issued an apology to the officer who shot him. He was sleeping on the couch and as soon as the LEO saw him, he shot him. LEO knew it was a bunch of college kids that lived there. They new they were dealing with generally good kids. But one of the cowboy cops freaked. I am glad Copp finally sees it for the atrocity it is.

Accidentally shot in center mass, the exact area law enforcement is trained to aim at. How long do we have to put up with poorly trained LEOs playing at being hard core tactical storm troopers just so some local sheriff can collect on the money provided by the federal government? Sickening.

Accidentally shot in center mass, the exact area law enforcement is trained to aim at. How long do we have to put up with poorly trained LEOs playing at being hard core tactical storm troopers just so some local sheriff can collect on the money provided by the federal government? Sickening.

It will get worse before it get better. SWAT and SRT teams are hiring only those with combat experience to fill their ranks.

when you take some multiple-tour combat veterans who are more than likely suffering from PTSD than a cadet fresh from police school, triggers get pulled before questions are asked.

Ed

It will get worse before it get better. SWAT and SRT teams are hiring only those with combat experience to fill their ranks.

when you take some multiple-tour combat veterans who are more than likely suffering from PTSD than a cadet fresh from police school, triggers get pulled before questions are asked.

Ed

i can not say it any better i met him last year at the hash bash nice kid am glad he is suing and hope he gets a boat load of money

If he was handing the firearm properly, the way they are taught, it was no accidental discharge. Anyone properly trained in firearm use will not put their finger on the trigger until they intend to shoot. So either the department was guilty of improper training or the officer intended to shoot.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110309/NEWS06/110309014/Ex-Michigan-college-student-shot-by-deputy-files-suit?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Ex-Michigan college student shot by deputy files suit

A former Grand Valley State University student who was shot by an Ottawa County sheriff's deputy during a drug raid two years ago has sued the deputy, the county and the sheriff's department.

Derek Copp's complaint was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court and alleges the shooting was "not an accident."

The suit claims Deputy Ryan Huizenga was guilty of gross negligence and assault when he shot the then-20-year-old in the chest during a 2009 drug raid. Copp says officers with the West Michigan Enforcement Team were negligent, reckless and used excessive force.

Copp was shot in the chest and suffered two fractured ribs, and liver and lung damage after Huizenga's gun, a .40-caliber Glock, discharged as officers entered his apartment. An undercover officer previously had purchased small amounts of marijuana at least three times there.

"Huizenga pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at an unarmed, non-threatening, harmless citizen," Copp's attorney, Fred Dilley, wrote in the lawsuit.

His client spent nine days in the hospital and, since his recovery, has had trouble sleeping and required counseling, Dilley wrote. Copp was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Dilley says police should have known Copp didn't pose a threat, because they had been in the apartment for previous undercover pot buys.

Ottawa County Undersheriff Greg Steigenga declined comment on the case, but county attorney Doug Van Essen says the shooting was an accident.

"I don't think there is any question the deputy did not intend to shoot. There was a confluence of events that happened. I think there was a number of startle reflexes, and there was an accidental discharge," Van Essen told The Grand Rapids Press.

Copp, who graduated with a degree in film and video, is spending a few months at a Tennessee monastery that focuses on inner transformation through yoga and meditation before moving onto a film-related job this summer, Dilley said.

Huizenga was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm and sentenced to probation, community service and a fine. He also was removed from the West Michigan Enforcement Team and reassigned to road patrol.

Copp was sentenced to probation, community service and a fine on a marijuana charge.

The Holland Sentinel says the lawsuit doesn't specify an amount sought in damages.

Dilley says he also wants a judge to rule on whether Ottawa County sheriff's deputies are using proper policies and training for drug raids.

Hey maybe there will be justice served to the officer this time..Ya never know he may get a suspension outta this ..lol

You can bet your bippy that he would get cash if I was on the jury. The police REEEAALLY need to be reigned in just a bit. They are near out of control with the power they wield now a days. It is very disconcerting that they seem to be more than willing to resort to deadly force with just the slightest provocation. I feel that I really need to watch my P's and Q's when confronted by a police officer these days. I break into a sweat when I am around them because I fear that I may inadvertently do or say something that will cause them break out the weapons and squeeze off an accidental shot or two.

I would hope supporters show up enmasse to support Derek at trial. This is a perfect opportunity to expose the task force thugs for who they are to the media and public.

A baby step towards defunding these goon squads I pray.

I would hope supporters show up enmasse to support Derek at trial. This is a perfect opportunity to expose the task force thugs for who they are to the media and public.

Good Point Brad ...

Would be nice to post court dates ,

So people could show their Support the Student ....

Great idea!! The next one shot could be anyone. They raid the wrong addresses and houses where nothing is found. My child could take the next bullet from some cowboy cop adrenaline junky on roids.

• 1 month later...
Guest Medicinal Patient

Google didn't show any new updates on the case and woodtv is watching closely. This didn't happen too far from me.

Back when this happened they were pulling in 20 or so supporters for Copp. He needs our support. Im down to go when this case is heard in Ottawa if others from the GR area are going swing on by. Just a few mins south of 28th & division.

I can't imagine the toll of a trial so for that I hope they are able to settle, altho highly unlikely.

Derek Copp needs protection from the community because I am afraid he has a even bigger target on his back.

I know how LE can be. I would be afraid to go anywhere alone. They don't mind leaving a few marks, holes, broken bones.

Guest Medicinal Patient

i can not say it any better i met him last year at the hash bash nice kid am glad he is suing and hope he gets a boat load of money

Is he a member of any of the compassion clubs?

Archived