This May Surprise You......

eman66

I am a police officer that has his card and I am also a care giver. I have been providing for a friend of mine who has cancer and after 9 months word has got out to my department. It is a smaller department and most of my guys are behind me but I know the uppers are going to call me in this week. Any advice would be appreciated. I fully believe in what I'm doing and am behind this law 100%, I have consulted an attorney and he said that they can't do anything to me. I know our stupid f-ing K-9 officer is behind this! I just want you to know there are some law enforcement supporting this! Just seeing what you guys think.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ground breaking post here for sure but you being a law enforcement officer you know the law inside and out you know by state law what your doing is perfectly legal your superiors have no right to even approach you over this your privacy rights are being violated. :notfair:

If they try to force you to stop being a caregiver get a lawyer and sue them. :thumbsu:

Guest thequietone

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you're in a tough spot and I hope it all works out for you. I commend you for taking care of your friend. As a cancer survivor I know first hand the relief your friend is getting from your compassion. :goodjob:

Thanks for the invite! The good news is we have an attorney here that is a card holder and provider. She is an advocate of this law and I know her because she taught at our police academy!!! I am going to be contacting her tomorrow, I am going to fight them to the bitter end!

Thanks for the invite! The good news is we have an attorney here that is a card holder and provider. She is an advocate of this law and I know her because she taught at our police academy!!! I am going to be contacting her tomorrow, I am going to fight them to the bitter end!

Wow! What a ground breaker! A new member actually admitting to being a LEO. I salute you for your forwardness to say the least.....

(Most LEO come in here to troll the site and try to create feuding amongst our members)

Sounds like there may be more LEO's carrying cards than assumed. At least on my part....

And an attorney that advocates MM teaching police academy! WOW!

Can we outsource her to all of the other police academies in the State of Michigan?

I don't know your co-workers, but I imagine they'll have discontent with you......

My suggestion to you, is to do whatever you can to pass a drug screen starting NOW!

They may not be able to 'get ya' on the card, but they will almost definitely try to get you for having marijuana in your system.

The recent WalMart case was decided in favor of employers. They can terminate your employment for mm use. It may get overturned down the road.....may not.....

Plus, being in LE would even make it more likely they'd terminate.

Take what ya gotta take, do what you gotta do, to pass a drug screen. Cause it's a comin'....

Welcome to the site! :watching: Hahahahahahaha!

Walmart can fire you for reasons that a gov agency cannot. Walmart is a private company. Big difference.

Good point! I've heard of many police officers keeping their job after going through some sort of rehab. It must be the benefit of the union....

Thanks for the post, and the courage to come forward. I am of the opinion that your case is different than the Wallmart, in that you are employed by the government, and not a private wallmart. I see the MMMA as protecting your employment, because it is in fact a state government job. No one wants to be a test case, but I am sure you have felt the wave of reaction, and knee jerk thinking that has caused this concern. You should be armed with the section of the statute that protects your rights, prior to the meeting.

"Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act.."

While not yet decided with any authority, it would seem to me that the "any penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege..has a different application when talking about state employment. I would be interested to hear what your union says. Good luck with this experience, I know many in this community will be curious to see how this turns out. Also, I would be more than happy to offer you whatever other additional advise or comment you may want, and help direct you should things not turn out as they should.

Thank you again for the post.

Howdy,

Lots of good resources and info on the site.

Looks like you're going to the "first through the door" on LEO using/providing MMJ.

Hope you can work it out with your management, but more than likely you'll be setting precedents in the courts in the near future.

If you are righteous you will find many good folks in the MMMA community that will stand with you.

Clares, Chief of police said he knows of 1 officer who has a card, said he doesnt use before or during work. In Harrison,Michigan..There are a cpl officers have cards..

So Maybe contac Clares Chief of police and he will give you a job up here..We sure need more like you in the force..They are accepting it very well up here..We believe in what we do.. and what you are doing..AND thanks for coming forward..

-watches topic

Thanks eman, We need more cops like yourself.. not afraid to test the water, and sees the benefits of cannabis use. :goodjob:

If sheet goes south for you, I'm confident the MMMA will stand next to you.

I hope the force doesn't look down on you for using and providing a drug that the government is at "war" with...:notfair:

Trix

Welcome eman66! I truly hope the best for you. We haven't had a good cop around here very much in quite a long time! Wow, very courageous, as you know all of our IP addresses are known if not masked and hidden, so there may not be much privacy. May you find peace!sheriff-andy-taylor.jpg

I am a police officer that has his card and I am also a care giver. I have been providing for a friend of mine who has cancer and after 9 months word has got out to my department. It is a smaller department and most of my guys are behind me but I know the uppers are going to call me in this week. Any advice would be appreciated. I fully believe in what I'm doing and am behind this law 100%, I have consulted an attorney and he said that they can't do anything to me. I know our stupid f-ing K-9 officer is behind this! I just want you to know there are some law enforcement supporting this! Just seeing what you guys think.

Know your rights.

Do your job so that no other fault can be found that might give them an excuse to terminate your employment.

We need more people like you that are 'not afraid'.

Be well. Stay strong.

And thanks!

I'll clear up a few questions, yes I am a patient as well as a caregiver and as soon as this came out I did stop because I'm not sure what they would do if I have THC in my system. I'm going back to work tomorrow so I'll know more on where they stand then. I'm really surprised to hear that card holders/care givers are getting raided, where I'm from if you are legal then LE really doesn't mess with you. A couple of our officers checked a grow and he was over the plant limit by 3 so they just took the extra three, no charges. At our legal update class they told us that if they're legal there is nothing we can do to them, how are these departments getting away with these raids? Thanks for help, I'll keep you guys updated on how this goes.

At our legal update class they told us that if they're legal there is nothing we can do to them, how are these departments getting away with these raids?

Some officials are refusing to obey the voters.

When the criminals hold badges and guns, what is the public supposed to do?

A sad situation that I hope goes away very soon.

Archived