Suggestions Please For Daughter With Crohn's

zachw

Background. I have a long history of Crohn's. I was pretty bad off until surgery decades ago and started smoking soon after. My wife was the first to attribute my own long term success - with no additional surgeries or heavy duty prescribed meds - to mj. At one time this would have been only anecdotal evidence. Now, however, there are plenty of studies that show the anti-inflammatory benefits of cannabis and I believe that I am long term confirmation of its benefits.

My daughter has Crohn's and has had one surgery. However, she is in much worse shape than I and still has considerable stomach pain, joint pain, insomnia. She's seen a number of GI doctors and at this point they concur that she should be on something like Humira or Remicade. While these drugs can be effective for many, there is also very high attendant risk.

Bottom line is that cannabis is a VERY low risk alternative (actually the only risk that comes to mind is psychological dependence). With that in mind, my wife and I felt that it should be tried before any of the other nasty immuno-suppressant alternatives. We were going to submit the paperwork for a minor, but decided to wait a month until she was 18. Which we did. (State cashed the check last week.)

My daughter has never ingested cannabis and - although agreeable - is somewhat leary about it. The problem is how to administer. Here are various considerations.

1) Smoking: A major advantage of smoking is that one can easily self-regulate. However, she does not want to inhale smoke.

2) Vaping: My main experience with vaping is a Magic Launch Box but I personally don't enjoy the mental effects as much as - say - a bong. I attribute this to the complete combusion in the latter providing all of the CBDs (THC, other CBDs, CBN, limonenes, etc). The first stuff to vaporize is - of course - THC, while the less volatile components are more beneficial for Crohn's inflammation.

3) Alcohol-based tinctures are very burning. She would not be able to tolerate it. Mixing with water and drinking eliminates the advantages of sublingual absorption (which is immediate since it bypasses the GI tract and metabolization by liver.)

4) Strains. High CBD/low THC meds are not easily available yet. I know that clones are now more available, but it will probably be a while until consistent, tested meds are obtainable.

5) Medibals. Can be very hard to regulate.

At this point I'm thinking glycerin tincture may be the best first option but I would appreciate any other suggestions on how best to start with her.

Thanks -

z

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Z, Peanutbutter's oil might work for your daughter. Peanutbutter is a member here on the forums; i think his oil has been found effective for some patients with Chron's.

I use Medibles (cannabis butter, which I bake into bread, cakes, cookies, candies); I have other digestive issues, not Crohn's. Iv'e read that if one uses the large "Fan Leaves" there is more CBD content in them but don't know if that is a fact... something I read. Maybe you (or caregiver) could make a butter or cooking oil for your daughter, with just leaves & not buds, that would be less potent than if you used buds. If she can eat butter, that is.

I suffer from crohns, 2 canna caps 3 times a day a day or hash the size of a grain of rice 3 times a day. A good friend switched me to hash because its much easier than making canna caps. ISO hash is the easiest for me to make. I have to keep it in my system to control the crohns as well as pain from a spine injury etc.

Hi Z, Peanutbutter's oil might work for your daughter. Peanutbutter is a member here on the forums; i think his oil has been found effective for some patients with Chron's.

I use Medibles (cannabis butter, which I bake into bread, cakes, cookies, candies); I have other digestive issues, not Crohn's. Iv'e read that if one uses the large "Fan Leaves" there is more CBD content in them but don't know if that is a fact... something I read. Maybe you (or caregiver) could make a butter or cooking oil for your daughter, with just leaves & not buds, that would be less potent than if you used buds. If she can eat butter, that is.

Regard fan leaves, I did some research and the conclusion is that the flowers are much higher than fan leaves in non-THC cannabinoids. 'Course, since we're talking ratios , fan leaves may indeed have higher ratio in terms of non-THC CBDs. But you're basically starting with a lot less of other possibly very important phytocannabinoids, so it's 'prolly best to start with flowers even in medibles. Anyway, my CG seems pretty open to trying new things so that's good.

For your digestive issues, what has worked best for you? (Including any specific strains.)

Yeah, she loves butter! (Doesn't everyone?)

z

I suffer from crohns, 2 canna caps 3 times a day a day or hash the size of a grain of rice 3 times a day. A good friend switched me to hash because its much easier than making canna caps. ISO hash is the easiest for me to make. I have to keep it in my system to control the crohns as well as pain from a spine injury etc.

'Inneresting, thanks. The doctor actually recommended 3 caps a day. I've been thinking that this is probably the way to go, and can experiment on myself to get a gauge on a conservative dosage...

I do not have Crohn's but, after losing 3 feet of my colon 3 1/2 years ago and a few surgeries for adhesions and scars tissue; I am left with many of the same symptoms.

There is a strain out there called Phat and Fruity and for me, certainly helps with some of the nausea and spams that can occur.

Regard fan leaves, I did some research and the conclusion is that the flowers are much higher than fan leaves in non-THC cannabinoids. 'Course, since we're talking ratios , fan leaves may indeed have higher ratio in terms of non-THC CBDs. But you're basically starting with a lot less of other possibly very important phytocannabinoids, so it's 'prolly best to start with flowers even in medibles. Anyway, my CG seems pretty open to trying new things so that's good.

For your digestive issues, what has worked best for you? (Including any specific strains.)

Yeah, she loves butter! (Doesn't everyone?)

z

White Widow, Capt Kirk is what's growing now, both those work good. Also White Rhino. Although it seems to be more about how well it's grown, ya know? I've got some dispensary buds that didn't help. But then try the same strain somewhere else & it works good. I'm partial to Indicas.

Vaporizing seems to do the trick for me, my symptoms flair up pretty regularly when I have not vaporized in the morning.

My advice would be to start with a glycerin tincture or oil filled capsules. Starting with small amounts. This way shes not smoking anything at all, and she will still feel what cannabis is going to do for her. If it works well enough, then variety is the spice of life, and should really try everything medical cannabis has to offer in the pursuit of better healing.

Sidebar on vaporizing:

Magic Flight Launch Box, although super awesome, shouldn't be the end all on vaporizers. I was originally turned off from vapes cause i bought cheap ones instead of the really nice ones. Ever since I purchased the Arizer Extreme Q, (only$150) i have used it every day, and am excited to use it every day cause it works so well. You can get the temperature high enough to completely vaporize all the cannabinoids, the MFLB has no real temp control so who knows what its doing.

Sidebar on vaporizing:

Magic Flight Launch Box, although super awesome, shouldn't be the end all on vaporizers. I was originally turned off from vapes cause i bought cheap ones instead of the really nice ones. Ever since I purchased the Arizer Extreme Q, (only$150) i have used it every day, and am excited to use it every day cause it works so well. You can get the temperature high enough to completely vaporize all the cannabinoids, the MFLB has no real temp control so who knows what its doing.

Looks like I can get one through Amazon for $160 which I will probably go for. Local shops want $300 or more - sheesh!

z

Simpson oil helps my stomach. It could be put in capsules too, I have read in a post that capsule makers are available at health food stores.

Until I get my hands on Simpson oil, I started to put tincture in caps. (Have a cap maker for other herbs but it's for 000. Even 00 caps are a bit big.)

z

Sidebar on vaporizing:

Yah, vaporizing is a great method for taking your meds.

I've had Extreme Q for over a year, and haven't had any issues :thumbsu:

Zach - (I'm not a doctor; kinda an herbal therapist, just giving opinion); Crohn's as you know involves much inflammation..that's what needs relief for a patient's symptoms to subside. Thus she needs max. natural anti-inflammatory mmj. High-CBD meds in digestible form may work well, even can taste awesome. Medicated butter, peanut butter, canola or peanut or olive oil, etc produce effective options and are easy to self-regulate. Every patient has own probs but CBD -is- the anti-inflammatory compound needed. Fortunately here in Michigan an active and growing movement is breeding and raising high-CBD plants to optimize therapeutic relief to sufferers. Comes to mind Cindy's Cannatonic, Jamaican Redbud, others.

Anyone know other such strains now available in Michigan, whether in form of bud or genetics?

Yah, vaporizing is a great method for taking your meds.

I've had Extreme Q for over a year, and haven't had any issues :thumbsu:

The extreme Q is my baby ;) Really couldn't be any more happy with it.

Not sure if I said this or not, but I got mine on ebay for 150. The price changes a bit, but I got it from the same guy both times. If you want who i purchased from, let me know.

Zach - (I'm not a doctor; kinda an herbal therapist, just giving opinion); Crohn's as you know involves much inflammation..that's what needs relief for a patient's symptoms to subside. Thus she needs max. natural anti-inflammatory mmj. High-CBD meds in digestible form may work well, even can taste awesome. Medicated butter, peanut butter, canola or peanut or olive oil, etc produce effective options and are easy to self-regulate. Every patient has own probs but CBD -is- the anti-inflammatory compound needed. Fortunately here in Michigan an active and growing movement is breeding and raising high-CBD plants to optimize therapeutic relief to sufferers. Comes to mind Cindy's Cannatonic, Jamaican Redbud, others.

Anyone know other such strains now available in Michigan, whether in form of bud or genetics?

Yeah, my ultimate goal is high CBD stuff, but I'm also coming to appreciate that there are LOT more phyto-compounds in bud that may be of great benefit for a whole host of problems related to Crohn's (prophylactically and symptomatically).

Background. I have a long history of Crohn's. I was pretty bad off until surgery decades ago and started smoking soon after. My wife was the first to attribute my own long term success - with no additional surgeries or heavy duty prescribed meds - to mj. At one time this would have been only anecdotal evidence. Now, however, there are plenty of studies that show the anti-inflammatory benefits of cannabis and I believe that I am long term confirmation of its benefits.

My daughter has Crohn's and has had one surgery. However, she is in much worse shape than I and still has considerable stomach pain, joint pain, insomnia. She's seen a number of GI doctors and at this point they concur that she should be on something like Humira or Remicade. While these drugs can be effective for many, there is also very high attendant risk.

Bottom line is that cannabis is a VERY low risk alternative (actually the only risk that comes to mind is psychological dependence). With that in mind, my wife and I felt that it should be tried before any of the other nasty immuno-suppressant alternatives. We were going to submit the paperwork for a minor, but decided to wait a month until she was 18. Which we did. (State cashed the check last week.)

My daughter has never ingested cannabis and - although agreeable - is somewhat leary about it. The problem is how to administer. Here are various considerations.

1) Smoking: A major advantage of smoking is that one can easily self-regulate. However, she does not want to inhale smoke.

2) Vaping: My main experience with vaping is a Magic Launch Box but I personally don't enjoy the mental effects as much as - say - a bong. I attribute this to the complete combusion in the latter providing all of the CBDs (THC, other CBDs, CBN, limonenes, etc). The first stuff to vaporize is - of course - THC, while the less volatile components are more beneficial for Crohn's inflammation.

3) Alcohol-based tinctures are very burning. She would not be able to tolerate it. Mixing with water and drinking eliminates the advantages of sublingual absorption (which is immediate since it bypasses the GI tract and metabolization by liver.)

4) Strains. High CBD/low THC meds are not easily available yet. I know that clones are now more available, but it will probably be a while until consistent, tested meds are obtainable.

5) Medibals. Can be very hard to regulate.

At this point I'm thinking glycerin tincture may be the best first option but I would appreciate any other suggestions on how best to start with her.

Thanks -

please look at Shona Banda's site,she had chrone's and can show u how she cured it with cannabis.she also has a book called live free or die. 1 of the best books ever on cannabis and what all it can cure. good luck with your Daughter.

I've been making Rick Simpson Oil for a year now, and I have experience with dosing non-mj users with RSO. I package them in regluar plastic syringes (like what you buy at Tractor supply for animal shots) and put them into pills with a toothpick. This works extremely well once you get the hang of it for really small doses.

Someone mentioned 000 capsules. I don't know anyone who would need a pill that size. My doses would fit fine into size 3 caps. I use 0 caps just because they are easier to handle.

I open 10 caps or so, squeeze out just enough, cut it off by scraping the toothpick across the opening, smear it in the cap, move on to the next one. This stuff is so sticky (like tar) that the cap makers don't seem to work well.

As far as dosing, I assume your daughter has never had MJ in her life, or very little of it. If so, I start with something smaller than 1/2 of a piece of short grain rice, from a 12ml or smaller syringe. It will look like just a dot inside the cap. I find for light users I can get about 40 caps per gram. It really depends on how well her body injests the meds through her intestines. You might have to start a little higher, I dealt with someone who had malabsorbtion issues, and after a week we had to lower the dosage.

I'll make a week or 2 worth at a time, and it only takes a few minutes. One of the best tips, run it under some warm water before you make it, it will turn from a tar into a thick syrup/thin molasses, makes handling so much easier. And don't worry, it is NOT water soluable.

I have found it can take up to 2.5 hours to reach a peak. Don't think after 15 minutes if she feels nothing that it isn't working. Wait the full 2.5 hours. I'd wait till the next day. Also, I find in myself that I can feel it up to 10 hours later with the right strains, and I have benefits for up to 2-3 days later, long after the psychological effects wear off. For her I would recommend not skipping days like I can for my inflamation, but one at night every day would probably do wonders.

The thing is, if she does take too much, all it will do is at worst make her head spin, probably just make her sleepy. It can't kill her.

The stuff is amazing. I swear by it and don't smoke at all anymore. I pop a cap when I get home from work when I need one, that's it. It has saved me from I don't even know how many refills of Vicodin and Norco, which really just make me forget about the pain, it never took it away for me.

And with RSO, you can use it in so many ways. You can dissolve it in oil, butter, or alcohol. You can smoke it. You can vape it. you can eat it straight. I have even mixed with hand lotion (yes it does dissolve, mostly) so it can be rubbed into hands/joints for arthritis or just applied topically, however that is messy. I cook with it, put it in pills, smear some on a cracker. And taking it by pill makes it seem more like medicine anyway.

Those injectors look like something you would want for regular infused olive or coconut oil. Not for RSO.

Oh and it cleans right up with a little rubbing alcohol. Anyway, good luck to you and your daughter. It really is a great medicine.

Cedar

Thanks. My wife & I just watched the 50 minute youtube video by Rick Simpson. Intriguing, though a bit repetitious (should have been a 30 minute vid) with possibly over-exaggerated claims (but I guess we'll never know for sure until it can be more widely used and studied). But the fact that it takes about a pound of material to make 2 oz of RSO means that I'm gonna have to wait until I grow my own (currently not practical), or find a very reasonably priced supply. I don't expect free meds although I occasionally see notices that it is being given away for free at farmers markets.

Once you get growing your own, cannabis oil can fit right in with your routine. I keep the very best buds for vaping and smoking and all the rest gets made into oil. It makes me feel better about all those smaller buds that sometimes get wasted. Also, the duff you have left from vaping makes really good oil. Oil is key to totally using all you grow in the most efficient way. There are nice water pipe attachments now that vape the oil very efficiently too.

Oil will keep forever and it might be what gets you through times with no fresh cannabis.

Thanks. My wife & I just watched the 50 minute youtube video by Rick Simpson. Intriguing, though a bit repetitious (should have been a 30 minute vid) with possibly over-exaggerated claims (but I guess we'll never know for sure until it can be more widely used and studied). But the fact that it takes about a pound of material to make 2 oz of RSO means that I'm gonna have to wait until I grow my own (currently not practical), or find a very reasonably priced supply. I don't expect free meds although I occasionally see notices that it is being given away for free at farmers markets.

Hi Zach. While you are waiting for that one pound of bud, may I suggest trying my topical oil?

The sell little bottles of the oil all over the state for only $20. You touch the oil to your finger and then touch the finger to the tongue.

It's a cheap fix if it works out. At that rate of use, a single bottle may last for nearly a year.

Hi Zach. While you are waiting for that one pound of bud, may I suggest trying my topical oil?

The sell little bottles of the oil all over the state for only $20. You touch the oil to your finger and then touch the finger to the tongue.

It's a cheap fix if it works out. At that rate of use, a single bottle may last for nearly a year.

Which is not pure cannabis oil. I'm not so sure this stuff should be taken orally like you can with pure oil.

Archived