Recent Dispensary Raids?

HempHero

This is the second one I've heard of getting raided in a month around Kzoo. Yet *edited*, the biggest most obvious compassion club operating as a depense is still open and has no concern about being shut down.

Something's strange about this.

Edit:took out the name of the club I don't want to bash anyone.

This is the second one I've heard of getting raided in a month around Kzoo. Yet *edited*, the biggest most obvious compassion club operating as a depense is still open and has no concern about being shut down.

Something's strange about this.

Edit:took out the name of the club I don't want to bash anyone.

thought they all closed. thought they outlawed em.

PORTAGE -- Ken Jonatzke pointed to a plastic chest of drawers that usually holds the medical marijuana he sells out of his smoke shop.

But the drawers were empty Thursday, following a raid during which the Kalamazoo Valley Enforcement Team seized Jonatzke's marijuana plants, dried marijuana, growing equipment and several guns.

Emily Monacelli | Kalamazoo GazettePure Tobacco Supplies, at 8318 Portage Road in Portage, was raided Wednesday by the Kalamazoo Valley Enforcement Team, which is seeking marijuana delivery and weapons charges against its owner.

Marijuana delivery and weapons charges are pending against Jonatzke following a raid Wednesday, and marijuana delivery charges are also pending against a 29-year-old Kalamazoo man following another raid the same day on West Centre Avenue in Portage.

KVET said in a news release that caregivers at both places were selling marijuana to individuals with state-issued medical marijuana cards. "Both locations were also selling to people they were not the designated caregiver provider for, which is illegal under the current Michigan Medical Marijuana Law," the news release said.

Jonatzke, who terms his business at 8318 Portage Road a "medical marijuana care facility," accused police of "harassing caregivers in their homes and businesses" in raids at his location and other medical marijuana dispensaries.

In another raid Wednesday, police in Barry County raided a marijuana growing operation on M-43 near Hickory Corners after, they say, two men were found running a hydroponic growing operation that included packaging marijuana and prescription drugs, under the guise of a medical marijuana operation.

In Portage, marijuana delivery and weapons charges are pending against Jonatzke, according to KVET, and marijuana delivery charges are being sought against a 29-year-old Kalamazoo man in connection with the raid on West Centre Avenue.

"I think it's overzealous, political pressure put on the police force to go over what the voters voted for," Jonatzke said of the raids.

Michigan residents in 2008 approved a citizen-initiated law legalizing marijuana for medical uses, and a provision allows caregivers to supply up to five patients. There have been numerous legal challenges to the law and how the medical marijuana can be dispensed, however, and last August a three-judge panel of the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled that medical marijuana dispensaries are not only a “public nuisance,” but they’re illegal.

Jonatzke is a registered caregiver along with his wife, who he said was addicted to painkillers and was damaging her liver by having to take so much pain medication. He said he was against drugs until he researched the benefits of medical marijuana and now uses marijuana sparingly to treat "constant pain" from bone spurs, degenerative cartilage and other ailments.

"I'm too old to go to jail," he said of the charges pending against him. "All I want to do is to help people."

Though KVET declined to disclose the exact addresses of the raids, Jonatzke said they took place at his business, Pure Tobacco Supplies, at 8318 Portage Rd., and at the former Park Arbor Resource Center, 1611 W. Centre Ave.

Sgt. Michael Kelley of KVET said police seized "several ounces" of marijuana from each location, and also took 10 handguns, three shotguns and four rifles from the Portage Road business.

Kelley said the drug enforcement unit had received at least six tips from concerned citizens leading up Wednesday's raids.

"We did an investigation into it," he said of reports that what was purported to be medical marijuana was being illegally sold at the two locations. "An investigation was done on it that led to the search warrants."

Jonatzke, who lives in a home attached to the smoke shop that he has operated for more than 30 years, said he had 20 ounces of dried marijuana on hand and 22 live plants when officers arrived at his business Wednesday. He said that amount of dried marijuana and plants is what he is allowed to have number on site under state law, though he declined to identify how many caregivers operated out of the shop.

"This is so crazy because we dot our eyes, cross our Ts," Jonatzker said of the medical marijuana business he's run about two years. "We follow every part of the law."

A patient and a caregiver in Jonatzke's shop, who identified herself only as Christine, said she uses medical marijuana to treat the pain from lupus, several herniated discs, multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia. She takes no pharmaceutical drugs.

"They've put hundreds of six people –- cut their access off completely," she said of the raids.

Most of Jonatzke's patients are "well over 50" years old, he said. Some of them used to self-medicate illegally before getting their medical marijuana card, and some are first-time users, he said.

Medical marijuana users are portrayed as "hippies or wasters who don't have jobs," Jonatzke said, but he said that's not true.

"We have people in the court system and law enforcement who are patients," he said. "They're living a hypocritical life."

the state legislature said they will be working on a distribution model.. who knows when that will be, even if they get one it will be hard to pass,, until the courts decide on caregiver providing to a patient not connected to the registry we will continue to see this happen, and the way the COA is going they seem not to be siding with caregivers or patients,

again ignorance of the law with this statement complete slander.

"KVET said in a news release that caregivers at both places were selling marijuana to individuals with state-issued medical marijuana cards. "Both locations were also selling to people they were not the designated caregiver provider for, which is illegal under the current Michigan Medical Marijuana Law," the news release said. :growl:

guess they didin't read the law,, may assist "A" registered user,, not your own registered user... what a crock of sheet.. doesn't anyone have a copy of the law with that part highlighted. Or assisting an out of state patient, which we do.. how if there not allowed to get from a caregiver.. it really pisses me off.

guess they didin't read the law,, may assist "A" registered user,, not your own registered user... what a crock of sheet.. doesn't anyone have a copy of the law with that part highlighted. Or assisting an out of state patient, which we do.. how if there not allowed to get from a caregiver.. it really pisses me off.

hell we can get it from a criminal if we WANT!!!and because of BS like this ppl will be going back underground and then watch the death rate rise because of a deal gone bad. SOB they just dont care!!!

again ignorance of the law with this statement complete slander.

"KVET said in a news release that caregivers at both places were selling marijuana to individuals with state-issued medical marijuana cards. "Both locations were also selling to people they were not the designated caregiver provider for, which is illegal under the current Michigan Medical Marijuana Law," the news release said. :growl:

"Both locations were also selling to people they were not the designated caregiver provider for, which is illegal under the current Michigan Medical Marijuana Law," the news release said.

This is a flat out lie, at this time it is not against the law, Bill Schitte made it his opinion, thats it, and the ahole LEO is taking his opinion as law, and arresting good citizens following the law.. Period!!!

This is a flat out lie, at this time it is not against the law,???????????????????

I cannot find one attorney that will say caregiver to non connected patient is legal,, I have asked two, and they did not say it was or was not, the courts will decide this, maybe that what their reply was,

John Walsh was asked that question on greeentreees radio of course he said he thought it was illegal,

I would like to here an attorney say it is legal, if someone has a link of that please post it for us thanks,

Very, very sad news.

For those from this area like myself, this place was known to be compassion center primarily helping senior citizens.

Absolutely sickening response by LEO.

I'm sure the 6 complaints were legit to, I mean they couldn't have come from the LEO's family members anonymously or anything. The whole reason they are making a big deal about the 6 complaints has to do with what Blueberry said. Kalamazoo recently passed a LEP resolution, therefore KVET has to act like there was a public outcry for action to be taken. Nonsense.

Well I hope the boys in KVET are proud, way to arrest a 60 year old medical patient.

hell we can get it from a criminal if we WANT!!!and because of BS like this Pot will be going back underground and then watch the death rate rise because of a deal gone bad. SOB they just don't care!!!

I can feel your frustration and I feel the same . The whole point of the Act was to stop arresting patients abusing them and forcing them in dangerous places feeding their money to black market profiteers many of which support violence , don't care about patients or medical cannabis and take money out of our of our Country . Let legal businesses form .

It was Bill Schuette who forcasted the Act would allow dispensaries in 2007 .

Unfortunately 20 ounces is over the amount anyone even a patient/caregiver is aloud to have. The most is 15 ounces, 2.5 ounces per patient at 6 patients total. I have no quarells with dispensaries, but this is probably the issue they would raise. Unless this is a misprint!

Why arrest a 60 yr old man? He has a house and business attached. He had at least 12 firearms, and if he was doing enough business to hold 20 zips - he had money too.

They wanted to forfeit his property.

If LEO has a choice to raid a vacant house used to sell heroin or crack - at best they will find a unemployed kid, one gun, and maybe $500 cash. What motivates LEO to forfeit this?

I know we can debate all day and night about the distribution model. The fact remains, patients need access to their medicine. We are fighting for a organic lifestyle, we demand an end to big pharm business of pushing THEIR drugs. Society is in a battle RIGHT NOW, against GHM - meats, genetic seeds (mostanto), and perhaps soon - fake man made meat.

The battle is bigger than just the right to use marijuana.

DN

KVET said in a news release that caregivers at both places were selling marijuana to individuals with state-issued medical marijuana cards. "Both locations were also selling to people they were not the designated caregiver provider for, which is illegal under the current Michigan Medical Marijuana Law," the news release said.

News release from LEO that doesnt know their a** from a hole in the ground, when concerning the MMMact. Bad news for these guys though, The guns bring in feds.

This is a flat out lie, at this time it is not against the law,???????????????????

I cannot find one attorney that will say caregiver to non connected patient is legal,, I have asked two, and they did not say it was or was not, the courts will decide this, maybe that what their reply was,

John Walsh was asked that question on greeentreees radio of course he said he thought it was illegal,

I would like to here an attorney say it is legal, if someone has a link of that please post it for us thanks,

I have had a paid consultation with Mr Korn, and talked about just this situation he was very clear I also think he has stated that repeatedly. The current law is clear on this

Anytime a patient is arrested it is bad and there is a potential for severe harm and suffering to them beyond what is reasonable . The Act in this voters mind was designed to broadly protect patients and encourage the development of legal " medical use " at every step of patient needs .

Archived