City Wants List Of Pot Growers

City wants list of pot growers

October 5, 2012

By Jenny Lancour , Daily Press

Save | Comments (4) | Post a comment |

ESCANABA - Concerns regarding the state's medical marijuana act has prompted Escanaba to develop a resolution addressing local issues with the state legislation, council decided at its meeting Thursday.

Discussion of the law was an agenda item addressed by Mayor Pro Tem Brady Nelson who has encouraged area municipalities to join the bandwagon in voicing concerns on the legislation enacted in 2008.

Prior to the council meeting, representatives from the Upper Peninsula Substance Enforcement Team, also known as UPSET, gave a presentation on drug abuse in the U.P. that was broadcast during the Manager's Call session.

Former UPSET Commander Lt. George Sailer of the Michigan State Police spoke about several drugs being used and abused in the area including marijuana.

Because of the medical marijuana legislation, eligible patients and caregivers are allowed by law to grow pot plants for specific medical conditions, said Sailer. Requirements to receive a medical marijuana card include a doctor's prescription, an application filed through a state agency, and a fee.

Each eligible patient can grow up to 12 plants at a time. Caregivers can grow 12 plants for each patient and have up to five patients. If caregivers are patients themselves, they can grow the allowed 12 plants for themselves in addition to the plants for patients, explained Sailer.

Sailer said one issue with the medical marijuana law is that police do not have access to the names of people who have cards allowing them to grow marijuana.

The state does not give out the names because of patient confidentiality and medical privacy rules, he said.

Sailer also said another concern is there are no inspections of marijuana grows once a person becomes eligible to grow pot.

"It's a vague law with very little direction," he said.

In addition, the state is four months behind in issuing medical marijuana cards, said Sailer. Anyone who applies and is not denied a card within 20 days, is considered eligible for a card, he explained.

Escanaba Public Safety Director Ken Vanderlinden told council he is concerned about the safety of officers and the public because of the marijuana grows. Breaking and entering incidents have occurred at legal growing operations. Officers also do not know if pot grows are legal or illegal because they have no way of finding out before a drug bust is made.

"Officer safety is a serious concern of mine," Vanderlinden said, stating how officers have access to holders of concealed weapons permits but not medical marijuana cards.

Nelson said he would like the city to look at developing a local ordinance to not be able to grow marijuana in the community. He added this is not an option right now because of appeals pending in the Michigan Supreme Court. Downstate Wyoming, which instated a local ordinance banning marijuana grows, is appealing a ruling against that city, he said.

Nelson recommends individuals contact their state representatives, including the governor's office, to allow local control on marijuana grows and to provide law enforcement with a list of who can legally grow marijuana here.

"We've got to do something," Nelson said. "We're not in the position to outlaw marijuana but we're in a position to control the problem in our community... We need to clean up our community. We need to take pride in our community."

Nelson asked that a resolution be developed to consider at the next council meeting.

Vanderlinden suggested the resolution should state the law's affects on the community and specify what needs to be changed in the legislation.

In other business, council formed a subcommittee to look into concerns about recent increased ordinance enforcement of campers and trailers parked on city streets and boulevards.

Council approved the sale of a lot in the Whitetail Industrial Park for $22,120 to SGT'S Recycling Inc. to construct a recycling collection facility. (See related story.)

Council approved 2012-13 service agreements with the William Bonifas Fine Arts Center for $5,000 from the city and with the Delta County Historical Society for $2,000 from the city, as budgeted.

How does the Topic Title apply to this article ?

maybe this statement

Nelson recommends individuals contact their state representatives, including the governor's office, to allow local control on marijuana grows and to provide law enforcement with a list of who can legally grow marijuana here.

"City wants list of pot growers" ... To me , this statement implies required registration of some sort by the city .

"Nelson recommends individuals contact their state representatives, including the governor's office, to allow local control on marijuana grows and to provide law enforcement with a list of who can legally grow marijuana here." ... This seems to be a request from an elected official to the constituency .

Of all the gall I have seen and a clear misrepresentation of the facts.

1) Doctors do not " Prescribe medical marijuana" it is a recommendation.

2) Leo can verify a card holder's status right now by using the person's I.D and mmj card via the random patients number.

3) An ordinance limiting a patient's right to use their property would be would be an intrusion into their private lives.

And just who do you think he has in mind to inspect grows???? I do not think so!!!!

Once we get the mess the Governor created by creating LARA cleared up and get medical marijuana back under the department of health I might be more receptive to civilian inspectors that have only the power to issue warning letters and allow 60 days to come into compliance or the information is forwarded to leo upon failure to comply or expiration of said grace period with no effort to comply to the outlined infractions.

Edited by Fat Freddy

i could say that these are good folks getting bad info about the law....or that maybe they don't understand the merits of MMJ or a dozen other polite things....but i think their narrow little minds are closed to anything other than what LEO has to say...and to try to enlighten them to the law and truth about MMJ would take a life time....they should just ask all the local growers to show up at the town hall and sign the Growers sheet....after all,if you're not doing anything wrong,why not?,,lol,,,bp

2) Leo can verify a card holder's status right now by using the person's I.D and mmj card via the random patients number.

3) An ordinance limiting a patient's right to use their property would be would be an intrusion into their private lives.

And just who do you think he has in mind to inspect grows???? I do not think so!!!!

Once we get the mess the Governor created by creating LARA cleared up and get medical marijuana back under the department of health I might be more receptive to civilian inspectors that have only the power to issue warning letters and allow 60 days to come into compliance or the information is forwarded to leo upon failure to comply or expiration of said grace period with no effort to comply to the outlined infractions.

i'm not receptive to any inspections and never will be...no no no...lol..bp

Well according to the law only me and my caregiver could enter my grow.

Therefore an inspector would only get to inspect it from a peephole or my security cam feed. :P

But realistically it is an invasion of my privacy to even think of doing this.

Sorry folks just had to poke ya all.

Why the city would want a list of growers is beyond me, if they got such a list it would be a public document accessible to anyone.

Thus an invitation to the criminals to exploit and possible harm others. Makes me wonder who's side they are on.

Edited by Fat Freddy

This is not going to fly IMO.

Not if we call them and explain the hazards of creating such a list.

Most likely someone is running for office there and thinks this is the way to garner votes.

Imo it is a sure way to be ousted from office and not considered for any other government office.

You do realize that when they moved the MMJ program from the health dept. to LARA, all they did was change the sign on the door. There were no other changes. No personnel changes, no location change, nothing. Doctors in Michigan have to go to LARA to get their license to practice. While the program was supposed to stay under the health department, I just don't see any difference in it's implementation since they changed the sign on the door. Could we raise a stink, sue the state, and make the MMJ program a part of the health dept.? Sure, but don't we have better things to spend our limited time and resources on?

The fight is already on, it is called HB 4834.

Bingo we have a winner!

If leo gets the access they want we will face grave consequences for having so much as a roach in the ashtray.

The possibilities for misuse of the information ranges from using it to jail people for mmj use and gun ownership!!

To cps being called in for " child abuse " charges being leveled at families because one of them is a patient.

If I recall right the top cop in the state police stated that they did not need all of the information that lara could provide.

So why the push in the capital for this???? Could it be used by the feds? Bet your sweet bippy it could be.