What Must We Do To Get Decriminalization On 2016 Michigan Ballot

nigel

why wait for 2016? we have an election in 2 yrs minimum. If we want to put any manor of legalization on the ballot we need to start having meetings now and prepare. I for one think it is futile to legalize a ounce. why, its an ignorant limit. What can be done with an ounce.

If its going to be legal I would suggest Michigan isn't a pussyfooting type State. An ounce is enough to do about nothing, so I propose if We even Discuss legalization, then let us not fret over trivial details to be politically correct with the possible outcome. I say go for it. Full on legalization on Cannabis for any amount, any reason, any nature. Hemp will/can single handily give our agriculture a 2nd growing season in many cases, on a 40 billion a dollar industry. That can not work 1 ounce at a time. and while the regulate it like Alcohol is an ok angle, it is ill leveraged, and will be plagued with one hurdle after another. I don't think that is a headache worth fighting for.

My Dad, and his Dad, and many of Our own Fathers told us a long time ago, if a job is worth doing, it is worth putting in the extra time and doing it right.

If we are going to honestly discuss legalization, then let us not flounder on the small details, and just tackle the fking issue and fix it.

You make some good points Tim but consider that we still need the public to approve this. Opening it up completely will bring a lot more objections from opponents.

I have compared this cannabis issue to the evolution of the gays in the military issue. The 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy that the military put in place to deal with gay/lesbian soldiers was an adjustment period for the involved parties. No one was really happy with that step but it was a sensible step toward repeal. It gave all parties time to adjust to the new reality and, after a time with no calamities, the next step toward repeal was taken.

Personally I would sign the full legalization petition but I am not sure that enough of our fellow citizens are that far along the evolutionary trail, at least not today. The developments in Washington and Colorado may move the ball enough by 2014 to go for it though. We'll have to give this a month or so to see what strategy the Feds employ considering the recent votes.

You make some good points Tim but consider that we still need the public to approve this. Opening it up completely will bring a lot more objections from opponents.

I have compared this cannabis issue to the evolution of the gays in the military issue. The 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy that the military put in place to deal with gay/lesbian soldiers was an adjustment period for the involved parties. No one was really happy with that step but it was a sensible step toward repeal. It gave all parties time to adjust to the new reality and, after a time with no calamities, the next step toward repeal was taken.

Personally I would sign the full legalization petition but I am not sure that enough of our fellow citizens are that far along the evolutionary trail, at least not today. The developments in Washington and Colorado may move the ball enough by 2014 to go for it though. We'll have to give this a month or so to see what strategy the Feds employ considering the recent votes.

yes it does. It means we need support from all those Nurses that understand Cannabis' medical value. All those farmers that understand that 10 times profit margins on their best producing crop today. All those business people that understand the commercial viability and importance of being first to Market with new industry. All those LEAP officers, all those Freedom loving people that only drink alcohol because they fear loosing their livelihood because cannabis is illegal.

but most importantly, it will be not trying to fool anyone, and that alone is going to garner support.

I am more inclined to believe the public will be far more willing to vote for a full out legalization, long before they ll want to who-who foot around with toes in the water. Go big or Go home. That has long been Michigans attitude toward this type of thing.

You need to get $1,000,000 before you even start. Initiative petitions only work when they have good financing. That's how the MMMA was passed. That's why the legalization petition failed, that's also why the petitions to recall Schuette keep failing.

Now if we can just get every smoker in the state to donate $50, we might have a chance. Good luck getting stoners to give you money. That's why the MPP is now financed by dispensaries.

You need to get $1,000,000 before you even start. Initiative petitions only work when they have good financing. That's how the MMMA was passed. That's why the legalization petition failed, that's also why the petitions to recall Schuette keep failing. Now if we can just get every smoker in the state to donate $50, we might have a chance. Good luck getting stoners to give you money. That's why the MPP is now financed by dispensaries.

I hear that, them same stoners are the ones that go protest for mm at the capital, do we realy want them with us? I was a member of minorml and I dont have any probs with them, but they have said and still do say they are not here for mm pt's they are here for all out use, not just for mm, they have gone so far as to say dont go to this protest or that protest, it isnt for all out legalization, its only for mm pt's/ c.g's! but they show up anyhow in there tie died t-shirts and blunts and make us all look bad! wow that seems like a good plan! NOT!!!

Allowing hemp to be grown by farmers for fuel, rope, clothes, canvas, paper, it would be a boom, it is not for meds, it is for things that all peole wear or use every day, and you cant get high from writing on the paper, or wearing the clothes or using the fuel, it has nothing to do with smoking or medicating, it is a great way to save our farmers, save our trees, hemp can be a cash cow for this state!

Peace

Jim

In my opinion, Michigan medical patients have it made compared to what legalization would give you. Look to Washington. They got legal but they can't even legally get any marijuana because the implemention schedule, for any kind of legal supply, is scheduled for December of next year. Then you can only buy it at a store. No one will ever get to grow their own there. What good is that? It's like having a car but no road to drive it on, or no gas for it. If you are already a Michigan patient that qualifies to grow your own, you already have a little piece of heaven. You aren't going to enjoy anything even close to that with legalization. Why even wish for something less than what you already have? What's THE POINT? I'm guessing most people who want legalization don't understand the huge limitations they would still have. You can't grow it. You can't sell it. You can only have it if you bought it at a store. There are no stores for at least a year. Who wants to buck up a million for that kind of action? Only the potential pot store owners, who will want to eat your lunch for decades to get back their investment. And here's the HUGE risk: Will there still be our little piece of medical heaven when it gets legalized? When the state run pot stores have their monopoly, will the state leave us be as their only competition? Or will they say it's time you became a pot store customer too? It's never going to be better than you have it right now, IMO.

If they make it legal then you could grow all you want,, :) just don't make it half legal,,

Oh but I DO want it to be half legal!

I want anyone to be able to consume but only licensed medical people allowed to grow.

The dispensaries serving well as a wholesale supplier of the recreational market.

I want the money going into our community.

Oh but I DO want it to be half legal!

I want anyone to be able to consume but only licensed medical people allowed to grow.

The dispensaries serving well as a wholesale supplier of the recreational market.

I want the money going into our community.

That is a totally ridiculous bait and switch because that's never going to happen. That's what you tell people when you want to lie to them for their support. Maybe get them to do a protest or something under false pretenses. There is absolutely zero chances of medical folks supplying recreational dispensaries. Don't be fooled by the people who lie to you for money.

If only patients and CGs can grow for the recreational market then demand for MJ would skyrocket. But we would have the same eligible growers as we do today. So the supply lines are the same but demand increases. This drives prices up. If I'm a CG with extra meds why would I go to a farmers market and sell to patients when the recreational market will pay more? How can patients compete price-wise with the recreational market?

Full out Decriminalization is what is needed. Not Tax, No Regulation, and No line between Cannabis and Hemp. This is the only way, Farmers can benefit from the industrial hemp industry, treat it like any other crop, as it is currently treated here in the us, just not legal to grow/manufacture/process/harvest or farm. This will open the Industry side of agriculture and move into textiles and other textile products, not to mention bio fuels ect....

Michigan residents are not the liberal or financially taxed geographical area, nor does it have the political climate of Ca, Co, Or, or Wa. Michigan is full of conservative, but progressively thinking voting base, we have always looked towards tomorrow as a State Citizenship, and as a Single Group of Statesmen/women. The benefits the 40 billion dollar a year hemp industry could reign down to Michigan Farmers is Astounding, not to mention the ecological benefits hemp farming could bring with it.

We should NOT limit our mindset to that of the west coast, but learn from it. Full out Decriminalization with complete De Scheduling for all Hemp and Cannabis varieties in the Michigan Constitution is what this entire State will benefit from. And the economics of Hemp production to the tune of 40billion a year will not fall on deaf farmers ears when they realize atleast 2 crops per season or one additional crop in an otherwise unused crop plots for 1/2 the season. We need to education our Farmers 1st, and get them, with us to work Stabinow, HARD on this issue.

That is just ONE industry. I am willing to bet, nearly every Nursing and Veterans Associations will get onboard for the Medical benefits of Cannabis. Foot industry will get on board for those wishing to buy a more natural product. Chemical industry can get onboard for all the plastics/celophane/styro and other biproducs of Hemp/Cannabis....

Yes, we can limit ourselves to a narrow margin of the states population to try to get it taxed and regulated like beer and cigs. someday.

Or we can spend the same effort in education to our farming community to what hemp cultivation can bring in terms of financial benefits and ecological benefits as it pertains to the agriculture industry. with the lack of hard chemicals, pesticides ect needed for hemp, compared to Corn/Soy/Cotton ect...It is a Winning angle that will expand the Citizens base of Benefits back to the entire State Citizenry, opposed to those darn stoners, that just want to get high.

To ignore the agricultural angle in Michigan is to walk down a path to assured defeat.

Tim, you know they are not going to ever give it to us on a silver platter, and for all of our bravado without the actual people kicking in the money to run the initiative the language will be skewed towards those who want to monetize it. Then we get screwed again. I believe Resto is right on this one. For us as patients and caregivers it isn't going to ever be better than it is right now right here or at least not much better. And lets also be aware that they are going to alter our ballot initiative law, I highly doubt it is going to be cheaper or easier than it was for Matt Abel and his lost opportunity this year.

PB, you know what is truly sad. Why in the world do you think they are going to take you along for the ride? You aren't bringing money to the table, you are not a business savvy individual, you have felony conviction on your record, you cannot be a CG. You are on the wrong side of this whole deal man! In the end PB you are not valuable to the money players bro. They will leave you like they found you, I promise.

Edited by SFC

Im Not asking SFC and I am saying as a State, we educate those that benefit, farmers, Vets, Nurses that help the ill, and it wont be a question of asking a question, just a numbers game of passing. and if the Farmers and Veterans are behind it, then the question has already been answered.

I see this as part of the problem. Political Correctness has turned a nation of men into a bunch of politically correct puzzies. We do not ASK of the Government, the Government asks of Us. They ask us for our taxes, our votes, our children, our patriotism, our hard work, our loyalty and our devotion, and we get ZERO of it in return. The US Citizen is the equivalent of the battered and abused wife that believes tomorrow, her husband wont be drunk again and try to beat the life out of her for the 2nd time this week. Maybe Tomorrow.

Well to me, that was yesterday....We just Need To Stop Asking like a bunch of fraking taint lickers looking for a piece of corn.

Edited by Timmahh

Tim, you know they are not going to ever give it to us on a silver platter, and for all of our bravado without the actual people kicking in the money to run the initiative the language will be skewed towards those who want to monetize it. Then we get screwed again. I believe Resto is right on this one. For us as patients and caregivers it isn't going to ever be better than it is right now right here or at least not much better. And lets also be aware that they are going to alter our ballot initiative law, I highly doubt it is going to be cheaper or easier than it was for Matt Abel and his lost opportunity this year.

PB, you know what is truly sad. Why in the world do you think they are going to take you along for the ride? You aren't bringing money to the table, you are not a business savvy individual, you have felony conviction on your record, you cannot be a CG. You are on the wrong side of this whole deal man! In the end PB you are not valuable to the money players bro. They will leave you like they found you, I promise.

I think it will be a little better when the fed changes it's marijuana policy.

I'm seriously looking forward to passing out my topical oil in Washington DC.

From my vantage point, Michigan is already done, for medical. We just need to keep it.

Stop the four bills, perhaps add a dispensary bill. Although the dispensary bill isn't needed if the SC says OK to p2p.

The only thing that hasn't moved is the fed. That's next.

What plan does CPU have for working change at the federal level? Or is the plan to hide?

Elections and Advocacy.

Lobbying ..

Elections? We can't get a direct federal vote about cannabis.

Some folks would have me believe that if I donate the rest of my life toward a political party, I'll be rewarded by federal marijuana policy change.

That's a lie. I don't intend to get deceived into donating the rest of my life to support a political party that has never clearly supported federal change of marijuana policy.

The democrats are supposed to be the cure. I don't see marijuana on the agenda to be voted on yet. Not at the federal level.

So with them, it's all a con job .. lip service only. So far. They could change that, if they wished.