Legalization Or Decriminalization?

roadworkahead

A very important difference, Road.

I'm for 'full legalization', with 'patients' and 'caregivers' keeping all of their rights along the way.

'Full legalization' helps take a lot of the 'guesswork' out of the problem.

In any legalization law we also need the right for each person to be allowed to grow a small number of plants for personal use.

THEN all we have to work toward is getting changes made at the FEDERAL level.

I personally like the idea of extending the rights patients and caregivers have to everyone regardless of medical condition. Would that be legalization or decriminalization?

Zap, To my understanding, under  'decriminalization' we could still be 'fined and/or jailed' for the 'possession' or 'use' of marijuana.

Under 'full legalization' I  believe we could only be fined or jailed for whatever we might do while under the 'influence'.  A major difference.

So, unless I'm wrong about that difference, I'm still in favor of 'full legalization'.

Can anyone imagine the havoc produced by legalization? As it is now, the illegal marijuana trade pulls in billions of dollars per year. The bureaucracy set up to combat the illegal trade probably has a payroll in the billions. If people are allowed to grow their own the price of pot will plummet to near zero.

What will happen to all the people who now make a living off the illegal trade? Mexico's GDP will slide off a cliff.

There are positives though. The elimination of a giant government agency - the DEA - will save billions and releasing prisoners without replacing them will save more billions. No more people's lives will be ruined by an unthinking/uncaring legal system.

I am for full legalization. Why continue the ruse that prohibition is helping anybody or anything?

Chauncy,

What are all the rich people who own drug testing facilities going to do about the lost income?

what about all the corporations That own private prisons?

what about the camp ?

the campaign against marijuana planting

where all those people go ?

where the helicopters go ?

where will the SWAT teams that kick peoples door for growing up a plant go?

. I'm sure they can all be repurposed but some will surely lose their way and their pay.

Where were all the forced drug treatment facilities go?

Don't get me wrong, I am for full legalization.

However there is a lot of money to be made off of us cannabis users by keeping it Illegal.

I could go on and on and on about

the other people who want it to remain illegal so that they can line their pockets with our money.

I didn't even start on the criminal element.

These people are the ones who will fight it tooth and freaking nail because their bottom line will be impacted.

As far as I am concerned most of those people can take a flying leap off of a very Tall building.

I refused to be labeled a criminal just because I choose a safer alternative than the poisons that the government and the mainstream media push on us.

Edited by ilynnboy

Decriminalization over legalization. This has been my stance for as long as I can remember.

As I understand (very little in the legal arena) these two terms;

Decriminalization is to eliminate criminal penalties for or remove legal restrictions against.

Legalization however means taxation and regulation by Gov't.

To me to make 'legal' means that Uncle Sam still holds the reins. Uncle Sam wants the largest piece of the pie :money:
Due to that knowledge it leaves me to believe that Gov sponsored companies, or grown by the good ole US of A commercial grade Cannabis will be the end result.
Legalization will ultimately kill the home grows.

jmho

What are all the rich people who own drug testing facilities going to do about the lost income?

what about all the corporations That own private prisons?

what about the camp ?

the campaign against marijuana planting

where all those people go ?

where the helicopters go ?

where will the SWAT teams that kick peoples door for growing up a plant go?

It is my sincere wish that they go bankrupt, starve, die and then spend all of eternity in hell. But, that's just me.

I agree. I'd rather it be decriminalized. Keeping taxation and regulations out of the picture. My next question is whether or not dispensaries are for legalization? The bill mentions none of this. If they were allowed to exist the MI government would first have to legalize it wouldn't they?

Decriminalization over legalization. This has been my stance for as long as I can remember.

As I understand (very little in the legal arena) these two terms;

Decriminalization is to eliminate criminal penalties for or remove legal restrictions against.

Legalization however means taxation and regulation by Gov't.

To me to make 'legal' means that Uncle Sam still holds the reins. Uncle Sam wants the largest piece of the pie :money:
Due to that knowledge it leaves me to believe that Gov sponsored companies, or grown by the good ole US of A commercial grade Cannabis will be the end result.
Legalization will ultimately kill the home grows.

jmho

I personally like the idea of extending the rights patients and caregivers have to everyone regardless of medical condition. Would that be legalization or decriminalization?

You're talking a closed fourm of people (patients). I would think that restrictions leans towards decrim, not legalization.

There are many things that are thought to be legal, but are really decrimed; i.e. tobacco is decrim, bubble gum is legal

Before I could support 'decriminaization' I for one, would have to see how badly a person would get 'nailed' for growing it, and how much they would be allowed to have in their possession before they got fined or went to jail.

There's a catch somewhere... count on it.

If cannabis were legalized and a  person was allowed to grow six or so plants for personal use WITHOUT taxation on it, I would have no problem with the state taxing the 'commercial' production of cannabis, none whatsoever.

But... of course I'd rather like to see it freely grown without any hindrances whatsoever from any government... but, sadly, I'm afraid that 'ain't' gonna happen.

Full on legalization.......

It may mean more reguation , much like alcohol, and may really change the way we do things. But I cannot take seing good people brought down and lives destroyed over this plant. So much money,time and lives waisted. If only the blind could see.

cannabis needs to be unscheduled and fully legalized , like all other plants.

even if you dont think it should be legal, do you still want people going to jail over it?

do you want your taxes spent on that or something good like schools, fire, police, ems, roads etc?