Mmma Testimony Before House Judiciary Committee, December 5, 2013

Medical marijuana advocates are confident a state House panel will approve a pair of bills Tuesday that would significantly change the way patients can obtain and use cannabis.

Recent court rulings have made it illegal to operate medical marijuana dispensaries in Michigan and for patients to use edible forms of cannabis. House Bill 4271 would revive dispensaries with new regulations, and House Bill 5104 would allow patients to use so-called “medibles”.

Groups lobbying for the bills say support for the bills in the state Legislature has grown significantly.

“The amount of support we’re seeing is really fantastic,” said Robin Schneider with the National Patients Rights Association (NPRA). “And we’re very confident at this point that these bills will be moved out of the House.”

The Legislature is expected to wrap up its work for the year on Thursday. Schneider says she hopes lawmakers feel a sense of urgency to pass the legislation.

“There are more people who are at the end of their life, and they really need to be protected while they access this medicine,” said Schneider. “It helps them get relief from pain. And those people are running out of time.”

“I think, if we can get this out of the House before they go to break, I think that will certainly help us be ready when we return in January to help the patients.”

The state House Judiciary Committee is also considering Senate Bill 660, which could clear the way for pharmacies to sell medical marijuana in Michigan. That would only happen if the federal government decides to regulate cannabis as a prescription drug.

http://michiganradio.org/post/high-profile-medical-marijuana-bills-could-clear-state-house-panel-tuesday

Here was my take on the SB660 part of the hearings

Hmmm, how can I, a politician, get money for myself and get more money for the state so I can spend it on my pet projects?

Let's see, those folks pushing SB660 are promising all sorts of things if I vote 'YES'.  But, nearly every patient that testified opposed SB660.

The real question is, can I spin my YES vote so that it looks like I am trying to protect the patients?  

Hmmm, sure I can, I AM a politician.  Watch me smile the whole time too.

OK, now when do I collect?

Here was my take on the SB660 part of the hearings

Hmmm, how can I, a politician, get money for myself and get more money for the state so I can spend it on my pet projects?

Let's see, those folks pushing SB660 are promising all sorts of things if I vote 'YES'.  But, nearly every patient that testified opposed SB660.

The real question is, can I spin my YES vote so that it looks like I am trying to protect the patients?  

Hmmm, sure I can, I AM a politician.  Watch me smile the whole time too.

OK, now when do I collect?

These people need to know that we are sensitive to that issue, and we vote.

this guy has a long history(sheriff) of oppressive action. He is the one who wished to remove Glaucoma as a qualifying medical condition to use marijuana, deny medical mj users health insurance, forbid them from peaceful assembly, and hand over our records to law enforcement.  what asses elected a sheriff for senator in the first place? 

we musta forgot how to recall senators in Michigan, it's been over 28 years since we did it I think ?  sad

this guy has a long history(sheriff) of oppressive action. He is the one who wished to remove Glaucoma as a qualifying medical condition to use marijuana, deny medical mj users health insurance, forbid them from peaceful assembly, and hand over our records to law enforcement.  what asses elected a sheriff for senator in the first place? 

we musta forgot how to recall senators in Michigan, it's been over 28 years since we did it I think ?  sad

Yes but today they have made it  even harder to do so thats not going to happen imho