Plant Problem

webfoot

Looks like a magnesium deficiency.  A little epsom salt should get you looking better.  

That's what I was thinking.  Light green leaves and yellowing lo n, starting lower and middle with rusting lo magnesium.  Reddish stems in the back look like phosphorous is starting to be deficient. Unless it's lockout I'd think it's underfeeding.  Maybe that strain is more of a heavy feeder.

Isn't rusting along the veins signs of something else being deficient too? 

Edited by Norby

what would you say is better (easier to fix later, keeping the plant alive, etc), overfeeding or underfeeding ?

underfeeding is definitely easier to fix.

using  organic kiss soil with adequate drainage ,overfeeding should not be a problem.

Salt base nutes and poor drainage are the culprits most of the time.

Edited by beourbud

he's using a solid fertilizer so a "deficiency" is unlikely.  The plants are in veg, not flower?   I don't even add a nutrient in veg, my plants are in a pot of promix/happy frog for a month  then to flower. I suffer no deficiency, until I attempt to flower without some refreshed worm fed  soil transplant.  Adding anything to the mix is a mistake generally. If its a lockout, he has instructional issues that wont be fixed with the addition of even voodoo.

clean filtered water fixes most of these problems. Grow stores love the "add this to fix that" approach, a marketing ploy.

I think they look good personally, a little curled(hot food). you could snip the ugly leaves, and use straight water for awhile till they recoup. Your darkstar may be sensitive to the nutrient program. While feeding plain water, if there is a deficiency caused by lack of food, you'll be able to see the results quickly, but I think it wont happen so much.

I believe water will fix girl, plus, I bet you cant wait to get her into flower?  I liked my darkstars for a year, a bit over the top for me, but sweet.

If he's only fertilized twice I'd think it's not overfeeding.  I don't know what sweet raw promix is.

I added alfalfa meal and all purpose(blood meal, bone meal, feather meal, rock phosphate green sand, etc.) to my foxfarm soils mix and my largest plant, pineapple express, is getting the same rusting and I know I didn't overfeed.  The smaller plants that are further in flower and plants in early flower are not having this problem. I had this problem with my last 6-7 plants harvested.  I thought it was overfeeding so I used ro and they got worse.  started using a chemical fertilizer with cal, mag, mn etc. and it halted the problem.  I am very biased from recent happenings in my garden that were very similar to the pics in the op.  Lockout starting to happen can cause the same symptoms though.  Personally I found it was probably old cal/mag that caused the mag def and not fertilizing which led to n and p deficiencies either by lack of n and p or lack of mag causing lack of n and p.  I personally have never had this problem before in 25 years and have not really changed anything.  It's probably just me searching it on the web but it seems to be prevalant.  I don't know if GO line changed it's concentration or something or what the actual root is for me.  Maybe I just started adding calmag 2x a week instead of 4-5. I did change out my old cal mag which may have been over a year opened.  Fertilizing more this cycle seems to have stopped it other than my pineapple express.  Hopefully the new cal mag with iron and a little epsom salts here and there will keep it gone.

Edited by Norby

pexp1

fan2

fan1

These are some quick bad pics to show what I'm talking about.  I switched out my grow and bloom to fresh extreme serene by roots for p and k and to pure n from natures nektar.  These plants aren't really suffering like the others were from red stems(lack of p) and necrotic leaves and yellowing because I changed out the npk the rust spots re the only problem now and i hope to correct with the other tomato calmagiron.  I could be wrong as I'm no master grower, this is where my bias comes from.

Edit: you can barely see the rust spots forming on the leaf I pulled off.  You can see them better at the end of the live leaf but they are there all over that leaf as pin prick orange dead spots.

Edited by Norby

I have a few plants that look like this. they are all darkstars, Other strains look fine. I use fox farm nutes and some sweet raw. promix soil. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks 

Do you check the pH of the soil? Check the runoff when you water. Incorrect soil pH will cause a lot of problems. I found that using mycorhizae additives helped the plants deal with pH fluctuations, but there is just no substitute for correct soil pH. It should be in a range of about 5.6 to 7 with 6.8 being ideal.

That's a great point. During root transfer experiments I saw evidence that proves you correct. Once you discover what area of the plant a particular root is "connected" to, mostly, then you can isolate that "root system area" and subject it to all kinds of abuse and see the end results exactly where you're looking.

I found that when these built up salt deposits were placed directly touching an isolated system, their is a quick and negative affect at the end of its freeway often. 

In the garden I could overlook these slight "symptoms" because they blend in, without isolated observation.  I've used "dirty" pots often(shame, I know) and can say that I cant discover adverse reactions with general observation/reviews/plant health etc, unless in hydroponic use, then, for sure. but I know its not a good think.

I grow organically and use new pots with each planting now.

You may want to try flushing the pots too. Fertilizer salts can build up in the soil and cause nutrient lockout.

I've been using new cal mag and a tsp of epsom in mine and have pretty much halted the progression.  I fertilize similar to the op as in 2-4 times before putting in to flower.  I'm still thinking he needs more cal and mag.  The light color of the leaves and lack of curling makes me think it's not overfertilizing.  Let me know how it turns out and what you did and whether the stars were heavy feeders or light compared to the others.

what would you say is better (easier to fix later, keeping the plant alive, etc), overfeeding or underfeeding ?

I think if the op's plants were easier to fix later it would be to late, most def less nutes even no nutes for a few waterings and see what happens, ive had plants look just like that and die out or get hardly anything from it,,,,are them plants in veg or budd? if in veg trim it some more wait 2 wks and see what you got, if its looking better put it in bud, if its in budd, the only thing I can think to do is flush it a few times! make sure ph is good and keep an eye on it and the other plants around it!

Best of luck

Peace

p.s get the magnyfier out and make sure nothing is crawling around on them plants!

Y'all really think 2 fertilizings in veg for what seems to be 2 or more months worth of growth can over fertilize?  Have y'all ever seen plants over fertilized that the leaves don't curl on?  I could see lockout causing it but it really doesn't look like over fertilizing to me.  I've never seen plants get that lime green that were over fertilized and not curl the leaves.