What Is Reasonable Compensation?

slvrvetteragtop

Sec 6(e) A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances.

Definiton of "costs" as listed and defined in Blacks Law Dictionary 8th edition:

"Cost" n 1. The amount paid or charged for something; price or expenditure. Cf. EXPENSE

Types of costs:

aboriginal cost

after cost

applied cost

average cost

avoidable cost

carrying cost

common cost

cost of completion

direct cost

distribution cost

fixed cost

flotation cost

historical cost

implicit cost

indirect cost

manufacturing cost

marginal cost

mitigation cost

mixed cost

net book cost

opportunity cost

original cost

prime cost

prophylactic cost

replacement cost

social cost

sunk cost

tangible cost

transaction cost

unit cost

variable cost

It goes on for 2 more pages with full definitions... ;-)

Definition of "Compensate" as listed and defined in Blacks Law Dictionary 8th edition:

"Compensate" vb. 1. To pay (another) for services rendered <the lawyer was fairly compensated for their time and effort> 2. To make an amendatory payment to; to recompensate.

Definition of "Compensation" as listed and defined in Blacks Law Dictionary 8th edition:

"Compensation" n. Remuneration and other benefits recieved in return for services rendered; esp. salary or wages.

"Compensation consists of wages and benefits in return for services. It is payment for work, If the work contracted for is not done, there is no obligation to pay. [Compensation] includes wages, stock options plans, profit-sharing, commissions, bonuses, golden parachutes, vacation, sick pay, medical benefits, disability, leaves of absence, and expense reimbursement." Kurt H. Decker & H. Thomas Felix II, Drafting and Revising Employment Contracts S 3.17, at 68(1991).

Definition of "Expense" as listed and defined in Blacks Law Dictionary 8th edition:

"Expense" n.  An expenditure of money, time, labor, or resources to accomplish a result;

We need to be careful referencing Black's law because in Michigan a public initiative (such as the MMMA) is to be interpreted based on common terms rather than legal definitions (except, of course terms defined in the law itself).  This was explained to me by an attorney during the flurry of discussion regarding p2p sales.  After the COA ruled that "sale" is a "transfer for a price"  and the law only allows transfers - not sales, I looked up the definition of "transfer" in Black's.  The definition included a "sale."  I was thrilled because no common dictionary (Webster, etc.) defined "transfer" to include sale.  Sadly, Black's definition wasn't relevant  :(

Since I opened (or re-opened) this can of worms, I get the castings!

My topic subject was, perhaps, inaccurate.  Here is what I am looking at.  My cash outlays are $211.21 for consumables; $397.96 for ballasts, scale, microscope and a water test kit; $86.80 for reusable containers; and $342.78 for 75% of the increase in electric usage, for a total of $1,038.75.  If I depreciate the $397.96 over 5 years, and the $86.80 over 4 times useage, I come out with a cost of $45.14 per gram delivered.  When I deliver another 15 grams, that cost will go down to $22.57.  With the next 15 grams, it will drop to $15.05. Around about that time, I will receive another electric bill, which will hike up the cost per gram delivered for prior deliveries, as well as change the cost of future deliveries, except that I will probably deliver another 15 grams, which will lower the cost of the previous deliveries. Now, add into the mix the plants that are in the bloom stage as well as the plants still in the vegetative stage.  I do not know the amount of deliverable product I will have, or what the resulting cost per gram would be if I were to cease operations.  At 150 grams delivered, the true cost goes to $4.51.

Oh, wait, there is more, add in the wasted time, effort, and consumables on male seeds.

But then, there will come a point where I would have to PAY my patient to accept deliveries, based on the concept of the law.

My topic subject was, perhaps, inaccurate.  Here is what I am looking at.  My cash outlays are $211.21 for consumables; $397.96 for ballasts, scale, microscope and a water test kit; $86.80 for reusable containers; and $342.78 for 75% of the increase in electric usage, for a total of $1,038.75.  If I depreciate the $397.96 over 5 years, and the $86.80 over 4 times useage, I come out with a cost of $45.14 per gram delivered.  When I deliver another 15 grams, that cost will go down to $22.57.  With the next 15 grams, it will drop to $15.05. Around about that time, I will receive another electric bill, which will hike up the cost per gram delivered for prior deliveries, as well as change the cost of future deliveries, except that I will probably deliver another 15 grams, which will lower the cost of the previous deliveries. Now, add into the mix the plants that are in the bloom stage as well as the plants still in the vegetative stage.  I do not know the amount of deliverable product I will have, or what the resulting cost per gram would be if I were to cease operations.  At 150 grams delivered, the true cost goes to $4.51.

Oh, wait, there is more, add in the wasted time, effort, and consumables on male seeds.

But then, there will come a point where I would have to PAY my patient to accept deliveries, based on the concept of the law.

Figure your time - probably 10 hours for those 150 grams (averaged out over time...of course not including set-up time).  And those 10 hours at what? about $20 per hour?  So $676.50 in expenses and $200 in labor = $876.50 for about 5.3 oz or about $165/oz.  Then suppose you drive 40 miles round-trip to deliver at 56 cents per mile = about $22.50.  That puts you just a little short of $200/oz.  Seems about right plus or minus a couple of 20-dollar bills.

You're ok. After all the number crunching you are covering costs and making some walking around money. That is just about as good as you can expect. There is a lot of cannabis out there from $200 to $275 a zip, which is about the market rate.. Find ways to conserve costs and maximize yield at the most efficient price. Like any commodity, prices vary with conditions on the ground.

What concept of the law requires you pay a patient to pay to accept delivery? I am unaware of any.

Edited by GregS

We need to be careful referencing Black's law because in Michigan a public initiative (such as the MMMA) is to be interpreted based on common terms rather than legal definitions (except, of course terms defined in the law itself).  This was explained to me by an attorney during the flurry of discussion regarding p2p sales.  After the COA ruled that "sale" is a "transfer for a price"  and the law only allows transfers - not sales, I looked up the definition of "transfer" in Black's.  The definition included a "sale."  I was thrilled because no common dictionary (Webster, etc.) defined "transfer" to include sale.  Sadly, Black's definition wasn't relevant  :(

That is, until the Supreme Court got hold of the case and ruled favorably that transfer includes sales. This baloney about donations should cease.

All this talk about free meds reminded me of a story from the Grade Ballroom. Janis Ian was performing and made statements on stage that money was evil and if it was up to her the show would be free but the promoters insisted on charging for it.

At the end of the show Russ Gibb brought her cut of the till out in a bag and dumped the cash out onstage, leaving her to kneel down and scoop it all up in front of the audience. Great fun for everyone but her.

Reasonable compensation is what someone will/can pay within reason of course.  The more you produce the less people will pay if you have to get rid of it.  Then you have outdoors or indoors, different costs and quality.  I'd still do it if I was getting $50/ounce although it wouldn't be near as good.  There is only so much time and things cost money.  I wouldn't put in the time if I wasn't making x$'s for the amount of time, I couldn't.  Someone else it may be $250/oz and not be as good.  Your only able to sell to 5 people so some people aren't going to know any better and will stay with caregivers who don't flush and pay more because of the strains they have.  OG will still work great even if it is harsh and overpriced for the quality accomplished.  Some people don't want the chronic because it affects their work and if it's 10%THC should that person only pay $100/ounce.  What about a 30% strain?  Should that be $300/ounce?  Just questions that I haven't even thought of yet.  I just pulled a # out of my arse that I knew would work for me.  I'm already sure there are lesser quality meds going for more strait from the caregiver out there.  There is also probably better for less.  Until there is a way for people to sample and an open market there won't be a consensus because of the difference in growing capabilities and the structuring of the "market".

• 4 weeks later...

There is no absolute method of determining your costs, other than tracking them, and just waiting and seeing - doing the best you can along the way. The issue is that a lot of things can come up and change your game. I had this happen when one of my plants hermie'd. Having never seen a hermie before, I wasn't looking for it, boy did that screw things up!

In other grows I've seen batches of clones lost to pythreium, mites, powdery mildew, root aphids, budrot These people always had deeper issues in the grow but nevertheless caught the growers off-gaurd. I mean they obviously didn't KNOW they were doing something wrong until they got hit with a problem.

You can end up with some medicine that your patients simply don't like, not cause it wasn't grown excellently, they just simply don't like it. I had this happen with one plant that I really liked that my patients REALLY hated.

Someone I know, and myself, picked up a bad batch of nutrients from a particular company at two different times. I was warned, and should have just stayed away from the company, but I was able to find the problem quickly because of the warning.

The list of contingencies goes on and on and on until you've got your processes locked down and dialed in for an entire year. Even then, equipment fails, power goes out, legendary heat/cold waves can cause problems indoors and out, you can get sick, you can get busted, the list goes on and on. Caregiving is risky.  

I want to dispute the notion that the "best" strains only yield 2 oz. To me that's like saying hot girls can't possibly weigh more than 125lbs. Even if you only like skinny girls what if she's 6'? In this analogy, height is veg time / production method :)

At one point my cost per oz sold was $27 dollars. That didn't include my time, delivery, or grow space (that's not really deductible anyway). But it did include electricity, nutrients, and all consumables. Fudgeups and introducing many new strains drove that cost way up for me, but with my endgame in mind I'd do it again.

Did I just read that correct..27 an oz cost to procure..?   OMG.....I wish mine was that cheap..LOL.  Maybe I need to go back to bud school...lol...

It seems every time I expand my garden I solve one thing then down the road another thing pops up.  All these years and I still am scratching my head as to what my bottom line fixed cost per oz is.  LOL. 

I was using like 15 Exhale bags in my room now I ran into a issue with the bags turning black or black spots so I threw out the bags...now looking into running a c02 tank....everyone says just get a burner or generator but shiiyat man those things are super dangerous like burn up your ceiling unsafe.   if I run a generator I will have to install a metal sheet metal over the entire ceiling.  It is truly always something going on in my garden lately.  But at the end of the day if your not totally active in your rooms you surely will run into some issues...in some form shape or fashion.

I just pray I keep my bug streak going..Never had Mites, Thrips or Aphids. 

The only issues i would even describe as a issue is Gnats but they come in all bags of Roots Organics....sadly.