Newaygo County Man Sentenced For Planning To Grow, Sell Marijuana

beourbud

http://www.9and10news.com/story/30688207/newaygo-county-man-sentenced-for-planning-to-grow-sell-marijuana

A man will spend more than three years in prison for planning to make and sell marijuana.

Deputies in Newaygo County found a pole barn on North Pine Road filled with marijuana plants in October of 2014.

They seized more than 780 pounds of harvested marijuana and more than 800 plants growing in a nearby field.

The barn and the field were part of a 160 acre estate.

Moses Mast's brother rented part of that land to grow corn.

Moses Mast admitted to growing marijuana on the land and planning to sell it in Kentucky.

Mast was sentenced to 37 months in prison and three years supervised release.

He also has to pay a $100 fine.

Im surprised this didnt go federal. I thought over 100 plants and the feds get involved?

Either way only 3 years in prison is a good deal.

A good deal? Really? How much did that " good deal " cost him. Betting more than $100. It's newago someone got greased.

Let's wait and ask him if it was a good deal after he gets out...if he survives

Edited by beourbud

Can we all agree he shouldn't be charged at all?

The outdoor market here in Michigan dwarfs indoor. 100 : 1

Open the whole market up and the outdoor agrees to 6% sales tax

Remove cannabis from the criminal code completely

Open the banks up to canna businesses

Operate just like any flower shop, tomato stand, farmers market

6% of $$$$$$$$$$$. Is better than throwing our sons and daughters away in prison.

Update. Evidently Moses was affiliatiated with the Amish in the past.

It cost him 1000 bushels of feed corn, 1200 bls hay, 500 bls alfalfa, 50 cord Firewood, 1 angus bull butchered, 4 hogs butchered, 12 20lb turkeys butchered, 100 bushels each, tomatoes, potatoes , carrots, sweet corn, cracked corn, green beans, cabbage, cucumbers, okra, acorn squash, spaghetti squash,

And 1 each, apple cherry, pecan, pumpkin, peach,strawberry rhubarb, pie!

Edited by beourbud

Im surprised this didnt go federal. I thought over 100 plants and the feds get involved?

Either way only 3 years in prison is a good deal.

Eh, feds cant really go after everyone in the mj biz... Its common in places like ca, and other mj states, to pass on cases of a few thousand plants, depending upon the circumstances. Not claiming to know what their over/under is anymore, but it aint 100... Id guess it depends on the local dept, manpower, other case loads, opportunity costs, etc. it isnt consistently applied though as there are some medi states that have a clear agreement to kick even the smallest cases to the fed in order to circumvent state laws, but it seems that even this dies out after the state continues on w the mj efforts. Basing this all off of annecdotes from within the greater community, several mj states. Locals seem to have first up on prosecuting and whether or not to offer it to the feds...?

The outdoor market here in Michigan dwarfs indoor. 100 : 1

I doubt this is true. MI has one of the very worst climates in all of the continental us for outdoor crops, including mj. Not saying that a lot of people dont try, thinking it will be just like the emerald tri, but facts r we dont have that climate nor season... And wont ever grow to their yields or quality. Either way though, only way to get a solid outdoor yield in mi is to grow specifically compatible specimen, and to use commercial fungicides. Heck, practically every outdoor crop anywhere uses commercial fungicides, even in the emerald tri. That's the dirty little secret to outdoor crops, always been the case, always will, and even more true w the mi climate. Even if mi has a massive boon in outdoor crops, it wont be 'medical' grade, like one can get w total climate control. Gh's here will even need that help as the climate really is horrible here. Go outside, fungal and bacterial growth is evident on every plant/tree you look closely at... All of em.

3;yrs,  and 100. fine.. for 780 lbs and 800 plants ..  not bad , well worth that risk for 80k ... lol  he wouldnt have to serve even half that amount..

Not sure I understand your #'s

Assuming the 780#'s is correct and assuming a conservative 8z per outdoor plant he is looking at 1000#'s. At 1K per # that is at least 1 million $.

On the flipside the extra plants could be 3" high and the 780#'s could be wet plants complete w/ roots.

I doubt this is true. MI has one of the very worst climates in all of the continental us for outdoor crops, including mj. Not saying that a lot of people dont try, thinking it will be just like the emerald tri, but facts r we dont have that climate nor season... And wont ever grow to their yields or quality. Either way though, only way to get a solid outdoor yield in mi is to grow specifically compatible specimen, and to use commercial fungicides. Heck, practically every outdoor crop anywhere uses commercial fungicides, even in the emerald tri. That's the dirty little secret to outdoor crops, always been the case, always will, and even more true w the mi climate. Even if mi has a massive boon in outdoor crops, it wont be 'medical' grade, like one can get w total climate control. Gh's here will even need that help as the climate really is horrible here. Go outside, fungal and bacterial growth is evident on every plant/tree you look closely at... All of em.

Good point, as soon as you open the package what good does all the testing do, it's everywhere.

It's a numbers game no? It grows like a weed.

Also , this year was the the best in over 50 years maybe ever.after a bumper 5 years

Humidity was down in the fall, heck trees would still be growing in some locals.

There are a lot of ways to grow good meds, maybe you have not considered ours.

Edited by beourbud

Good point, as soon as you open the package what good does all the testing do, it's everywhere.

It's a numbers game no?

Also , this year was the the best in over 50 years maybe ever.

Humidity was down in the fall, heck trees would still be growing in some locals.

And expect an early spring due to El Nino. 

I just dont understand how he got 3 years when its a 20 year offense. I hear people saying "its newaygo."

Is that county very lenient on marijuana?

No it's the people giving up on the repubs in Lansing.

Millions of acres of fertile minds and soil out here just past the glow of the suburban lights

Prohibition never worked.

Edited by beourbud

It's a numbers game no? It grows like a weed.

Also , this year was the the best in over 50 years maybe ever.after a bumper 5 years

I hear you in that it isnt impossible to grow outdoors here. Also fully agree that testing and wishing for a zero tol result on living organisms on living plants is a nearly impossible goal... Even without merit when arguing harms. Growing good meds outdoors in mi could be done, but it is an uphill battle the whole way... Akin to forcing a square peg in a round hole. But the definition of 'good' is always relative, and in comparison to indoor climate controlled meds... How good is the outdoor?

I hear you in that it isnt impossible to grow outdoors here. Also fully agree that testing and wishing for a zero tol result on living organisms on living plants is a nearly impossible goal... Even without merit when arguing harms. Growing good meds outdoors in mi could be done, but it is an uphill battle the whole way... Akin to forcing a square peg in a round hole. But the definition of 'good' is always relative, and in comparison to indoor climate controlled meds... How good is the outdoor?

Sounds like smooth sailing til Leo showed up.

How many patients could be helped, children, veterans, elderly, right here in Michigan,,,by last years 780 lbs

Heck he would rather keep it local.

Them Amish are ahead of most folk in a lot of ways.

Looking like No matter how hard the fknrepublicans try,, the ain't getting the Cannabis Genie back in the bottle.

Edited by beourbud

Good enough to be better than 80% of the medical out there. And with not a single poison of any kind used. 

My indoor buds are a little beefier but the product works the same. 

If I had no rules or jackboot thugs to worry about I could supply several counties without a problem. 

Good enough to be better than 80% of the medical out there. And with not a single poison of any kind used. 

My indoor buds are a little beefier but the product works the same. 

If I had no rules or jackboot thugs to worry about I could supply several counties without a problem.

There you go resto giving away trade secrets.

Next thing you know everyone will be doing it.

I am on the fence about outdoors... Esp here in mi. Iv seen mold on every outdoor chop, even in ca/co/or. If i ever hear anyone claim that an outdoor chop had zero mold... In my mind i am thinking that they just didnt look hard enough. But, to be fair, a lot of indoor meds is grown w mold too, despite the potential advantage indoor has (read as most people do a horrible job despite having the potential to do very well).

I can certainly guarantee an indoor chop w zero mold. I certainly cannot guarantee that for an outdoor chop.

I am on the fence about outdoors... Esp here in mi. Iv seen mold on every outdoor chop, even in ca/co/or. If i ever hear anyone claim that an outdoor chop had zero mold... In my mind i am thinking that they just didnt look hard enough. But, to be fair, a lot of indoor meds is grown w mold too, despite the potential advantage indoor has (read as most people do a horrible job despite having the potential to do very well).

I can certainly guarantee an indoor chop w zero mold. I certainly cannot guarantee that for an outdoor chop.

Well, your fence analysis is correct anyway.

There is mold and mildew EVERYWHERE in Michigan

We are in the middle of the Great Lakes and have water everywhere.

If your a moldaphobe. Michigan is not the place for you.

You can have hermetically seal product but the second you open it up to atmosphere.....mold,mildew

Sure you can create an environment to suit your needs but to what cost and trade offs?

In Nature humans and cannabiss and mold and mildew have thrived thus far.

Think I'll go have some cheese

Indeed, i am a germiphobe, lol, very aware of what is even growing on me, you, and every other person (and thing) on the planet. In the end, mold and bacteria will win, long after humans r long gone and extinct.

But, bob... If u r willing to admit that the mi climate is disfavorable, then why not choose the better option? The only reason i can understand is a limit on input resources... Power, nutes, money. Yes, indoor is highly resource intensive, i have no strong argument against that, we use tons of power which means the burning of fossil fuels. We use nutes which goes down a drain and into the water supply. It costs lots and lots of money to bend the environment to our desires.

But, outdoors also uses large quantities of nutes and/or processed soil. It def costs less, but to offset the lack of control, we have to employ the use of chemicals, which goes back into our larger pollution problem. The only real benefit w outdoors is lower power consumption, until you factor in the only way to grow a lightless crop (w any degree of control) is a gh, which will use large amounts of resources for heating, cooling, and dehumidification, and still require supplemental lighting. If u try to control the environment and not rely on chems. You trade power consumption of one type for another in the end. Heck, even peat is one the list of a disappearing resources, when thinking about outdoors or gh chops.

Neither way is what would be considered good for the environment. Growing any crop is highly reaource intensive... Indoors or out. But, i will admit that you can grow outdoors w no control, with no chems, but that you simply have to accept there will absolutely be some mold, just how much is what is in play. Some percentage will always have to be destroyed. Thats a fact.