What Spectrum for clones?

hero4u

1 hour ago, hero4u said:

What is the BEST light spectrum for clones?  I assume  full spectrum?  Im getting ready to order a new t5 grow lights and it gives the option of blue red or mixed. 

Blue is needed, Full-spec won't hurt. You don't even need that much light for clones. I have my best results using a 125w CFL Daylight.

Edited by Slappy

I find that fresh clones like about 250 PAR under a LED with just the grow switch on. 

I used to use CFLs on fresh clones but found out that they have such little plant useful light I quit using them. 

I don't even use them with the cloner anymore. 

The whole cloning process is accelerated with LEDs. Cuttings taken off of plants under LED lighting grow roots faster. The cuttings stay healthier on the cloner. I put the cloner just off to the side of the LED light main footprint. Then they like 250 PAR from an LED right off the cloner. 

I use t5s for all my veg and cloning. 6500k has always worked well, I use a 4ft 8 bulb fixture for 9 plants. When cloning, put clones off to the side of the light, raised 2ft above cloner till you have roots, then put under the light. I leave mine to the side for 7days, then put under the light for another 7. Roots are always strong  at this point. Then I transplant to solo cup or 1 gal, depending how big roots are.

I can't tell you what is best, only what works for me. To know what is best, I would have had to try every other light out there. This is what I tried first, and has been successful for many grows. Don't fix what's not broken.