Can I Introduce A New Dispensary On The Forums?

Dispensaries:  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should dispensaries be allowed to have ads on this site?

• yes
    • no

Even that at this time is an "assumption". You're taking at face value neither side has upped it's vote count by making sock accounts. When the poll ends, and the staff pour over the accounts that made votes, and delete those with 0 post anywhere else and match up with existing accounts that have already voted, will give a much more true representation of the community....

But thats JMO...

Albeit a much safer one than has been made so far in this thread.... It would be folly to believe that every yes vote besides mine was created by fakers.

Saying that dispensaries are not appreciated by any patients without stake in them and saying that there exist others who appreciate them are very different kinds of assumptions. One requires omniscience.

QUOTE: I know who is supplying my roommate's dispensary... it's the same guy supplying the one I go to. They are two different places. I am not a member at my roommate's dispensary. I cannot buy anything from him. It is not an option. I have no bias due to my roommates job. He's been there two weeks, I've never seen the place and it benefits me in exactly 0 ways. My income comes from my job and his comes from his.

Why do you assume if the dispensary was not there that I would have access to the meds that are there? That's quite the leap of logic.

These dispensaries are supposed to be doing patient to patient transfers. Why would getting your meds from your supplying patient not be an option after you have already met him and transfered at least once already? What makes you think he wouldn't supply you if the dispensary got out of your way? Why do you need the dispensary when you now have access to your patient grower/supplier? What is going on that makes this not possible? Maybe he isn't a legal grower or his source isn't medical at all? What could possibly be the problem?

I've never met him. I know his name and I know he grows for the dispensary and produces all their clones.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Didnt say every.....But knowing the membership the way I do, and my personal experience....I know there will be some...both ways I'm betting...

Guest Happy Guy

Albeit a much safer one than has been made so far in this thread.... It would be folly to believe that every yes vote besides mine was created by fakers.

Saying that dispensaries are not appreciated by any patients without stake in them and saying that there exist others who appreciate them are very different kinds of assumptions. One requires omniscience.

You know when you admit one guy is the soul source supplying more than one dispensary you have shown us a huge problem? You actually have made a case against dispensaries. At least you have shown us the two you know about are using an illegal supply. The truth will set you free.

I'm sorry. Can you please quote the post were I said anyone should give up anything. Thanks. Dispensaries are specifically spelled out where my roommate's is. He has a business license on his office wall that says Medical Marijuana Dispensary from the local government. Is that spelled out enough? The law permitting such a thing went to vote.... not a public election but a vote by publicly elected officials

State and federal law both trump local law. So under law means nothing more than their support in that community.

Didnt say every.....But knowing the membership the way I do, and my personal experience....I know there will be some...both ways I'm betting...

I know you didn't say every... but my use of the poll was to provide evidence that it's not just me. It might not be very good evidence when held to real scientific standards but then again should I really be having to argue that I'm not unique in appreciating dispensaries? I can't be buying all the dispensary meds in the state.

State and federal law both trump local law. So under law means nothing more than their support in that community.

If you really want to make that argument, the federal government was never granted the constitutional power to control drugs or drug use at all. Also that means that none of this is legal. Not dispensaries, not P2P, not caregiver/patient... nothing. You're basically defeating your own point.

Guest Happy Guy

I've never met him. I know his name and I know he grows for the dispensary and produces all their clones.

What is the point in him using a middle man dispensary when you know his name?

What is the point in him using a middle man dispensary when you know his name?

He works for the dispensary. That's how I know of him. Without the dispensary, he would be just another faceless nameless stranger I would likely not know of.

I personally know the family from whence the double stuft oreo came... that doesn't mean I can order direct.

Guest Happy Guy

He works for the dispensary. That's how I know of him. Without the dispensary, he would be just another faceless nameless stranger I would likely not know of.

So he works for two dispensaries as their supplier. Good info. Which dispensaries are these? Maybe you really don't want to advertise for these illegally supplied dispensaries? You do understand that these dispensaries lie to everyone about who supplies them to make themselves seem credible and legal? You have given us a very truthful accounting. Thanks. Your room mate could be in very deep trouble for being the manager there. This is exactly why the feds are not liking dispensaries. Their sources are not part of the legal medical system. Us patients and caregivers want to be the suppliers like the law says. The dispensaries are pretending we are the source when they use these other illegal sources.

So he works for two dispensaries as their supplier. Good info. Which dispensaries are these? Maybe you really don't want to advertise for these illegally supplied dispensaries? You do understand that these dispensaries lie to everyone about who supplies them to make themselves seem credible and legal? You have given us a very truthful accounting. Thanks. Your room mate could be in very deep trouble for being the manager there. This is exactly why the feds are not liking dispensaries. Their sources are not part of the legal medical system. Us patients and caregivers want to be the suppliers like the law says. The dispensaries are pretending we are the source when they use these other illegal sources.

If you honestly believe my best friend of 8 years is inventing a person that does not exist to tell me about then more power to the creativity of your mind.

Guest Happy Guy

If you honestly believe my best friend of 8 years is inventing a person that does not exist to tell me about then more power to the creativity of your mind.

Oh no. I believe he exists. I was not being sarcastic at all. I believe your story 100% Why not? It makes sense. We all know this is happening. That is why we dislike the lying dispensaries. They tell us they are doing patient to patient transfers like the law says, then they turn around and buy from some large illegal grow. I truely am thanking you for being so truthful. It's a breath of fresh air. But for your own safety. Don't divulge where these two dispensaries are because it would be the end of their existance. What they are doing is way outside the law.

The below list of counties and cities voted to either: allow dispensaries or not prohibit dispensaries (NOTE: the counties will allow dispensaries in their unincorporated areas)

Alamosa County Costilla County Eagle County

El Paso County Grand County Park County

Fraser Minturn

The below list of counties and cities voted to either: prohibit dispensaries or not allow dispensaries (NOTE: the counties will not allow dispensaries in their unincorporated areas)

Conejos County Custer County Douglas County

Garfield County Mesa County Moffat County

Montrose County Otero County Washington County

Akron Antonito Aurora

Bloomfield Castle Pines North DeBeque

Dinosaur Elizabeth Federal Heights

Fountain Granby Hill Rose

Hot Sulphur Springs Jamestown Jajunta

Lake City Lone Tree Loveland

Olathe Otis Ouray

Paonia Ramha Sugar City

Windsor

as u can see the public in colorado voted to ban way more than to open one, that is just how the public sees this,

i voted that dispensaries should be able to advertise here. i want the MMMA to get better funding. Dispensaries would only benefit from patients that do not know caregivers or other patients. these patients can get to know other patients and caregivers through this site. so, if after meeting other people that could give them access to meds, they still choose to follow the advertising and get meds from a dispensary, then fine. it IS their medical and personal choice.

i have NEVER sold overages to or bought them from a dispensary, but cannot disparage those that do. why would i disparage someone that is trying to stay within the confines of the uninterrupted supply limitations, and happens to outgrow those limitations. that would be hating, IMO. and, if i was upset at a patient trying to get medicine when they cannot find any (or any of quality), why would i want to prevent them access to that?

If you really want to make that argument, the federal government was never granted the constitutional power to control drugs or drug use at all. Also that means that none of this is legal. Not dispensaries, not P2P, not caregiver/patient... nothing. You're basically defeating your own point.

You clearly have no understanding of politics or the law. And I would venture to say you are probably vested in this view of yours.

I tried to stay off this thread because I figure it was a way to take our eyes off the real issue.

There are some people who run dispensaries that are complete dicks and only out for the money. We know who you are.

There are also some who are very cool and undertand the importance of being compassionate to patients and helping the economy.

I personally love the fact that I can drive aroung and see thriving grow shops as well as dispensaries and compassion clubs. I can get wonderful new clones whenever I want. This has helped access to meds for me and my patients.

The dispensaries here have not infringed on growers rights. We got our ordinance in before Big Daddy's came to town.

If you dont want your rights taken away-do something about it.

Wow, I have a lot to say.

First, to say a dispensary is illegal is false. They operate (most of them anyway) as a place to do P2P transfers. Either by a locker system or by having a PT/CG as the buyer/seller. You as a PT/CG go in and sell your overages to a PT/CG. Nothing wrong there, you just happen to be able to do it in a safe location. It is a LOT safer than hitting up craigslist, hoping the person you meet isn't a criminal or worse LEO, and hope you aren't shot in a parking lot. So the disp isn't selling MMJ itself, it is getting money by providing a location for p2p. Yes, Disp's are legal in that sense, and locker systems as well have been upheld in court. The only Disp I go to takes all of your information, however they do not log any purchases. Since the Disp isn't the one selling it, they are fine. Sure Schuette can get your name and address from them, but he can do the same raiding the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, which I wouldn't put past him. Schuette also won't have sales data, they would only have that you registered there.

Second, they are here, they have been upheld by judges, and why shouldn't the MMMA get funding from them? Sure we will talk bad about the bad ones, good about the good ones. that's the risk they take advertising here. And if you don't like them, don't use them. No one is forcing you. And if no one uses them, they will close. Obviously someone still uses them.

Third, I see definite benefits to them. As a PT/CG, I am allowed a small amount of plants. To maintain my patients, mother plants, clones, etc to ensure a consistant supply without breaking the law, I do not have a lot of wiggle room. With hundreds of strains out there, each one slightly different, I can't just plant 20 seeds of different strains to see what my PT's like. not to mention, if I grow a full plant, and none of my PTs like it, I am now sitting there with 3-4 oz that no one wants. Instead I can run to a dispensary and pick up a gram of 3-4 different strains, have my PT's try em, and the ones they like I can go back and get clones, grow it for them. It is WAY cheaper to do that than buy seeds online, hope I get them, break the law by having seeds sent, and throwing away 3-4 oz of a plant no one wants.

I stand with you all on the CG/PT system we have, and will fight alongside you to prevent them from taking it away. But having no compassion club that meets regularly near me, I don't have a lot of options. They are legal just as much as any p2p transfer is.

Now I agree that they shouldn't be getting CA meds. And we are a community can boycott any dispensaries that do. I have sold some overages on Craigslist, and I have sold some to a dispensary. The Disp I picked never charges more than $16/gr and I would be willing to put my meds up against anyone elses on this site as being top notch. Sure most of their meds are schwag, but my stuff isn't and they want to continue buying from me.

One of the things the MMMA could do is put in their Disp advertising agreement that the Disp agrees to only have Michigan Meds, and if they are found to not be honoring that, their ad will be removed with no refund.

As a place to go try out new strains, as a place to cover a grow that went bad, as a place to reach out to people who can't find a decent CG, dispensaries have their place. As a sole source, I don't believe in them, but as an added source, they can be good.

Local zoning can restrict how many open.

Fourth, I feel it is still much safer to buy/sell to a Disp than to hit craigslist. I sold on craigslist and the first couple times it is scary as hell. I have a couple CG/PT's I met on there that now repeat business.

So, I support allowing Disp's to advertise on here. I also support our rating of them. Sure they are there to make money, however not all of them are the devil. They have pro's and con's just like anything. those that do not have the money to go to one don't have to, those that want to try out new things can. I can also tell you I can make more selling on craigslist, however the risk is much greater and it takes tons more time.

A new PT gets a card, they sign up a new CG. It will take him 4+ months to start a grow room, go from seed or clone to harvest. What is that PT supposed to do until then? craigslist? How is that safe? Just as a seller I hope that the person I meet on Craigslist isn't a crook, the buyer has the same problem. What if someone posted selling pot at $200/oz, and a PT meets with them, that person robs them because they know the PT is showing up with at least $200.

The argument of it all being schwag, well just because you go into a dispensary doesn't mean you have to buy anything. Go in, check it out, if it is all schwag then you walk away. It is the same as Meijer, if you walk in and all of their lettuce is wilted and brown, you don't have to buy it. You can walk away, just like a dispensary.

And any dispensary that takes 1 CG as a sole source is stupid. I don't know of any that sole source, being so would determine their fate. 1 lost grow and you have to close for a while? seems like a bad business decision.

So many people here are so against dispensaries that it is hard to understand why. They use the same P2P transfers that compassion clubs and farmers markets do, you get the piece of mind that if your meds are bad at least you have a place to complain to instead of some jerk on Craigslist that will just not answer you calls, and they can provide a safe consistant supply to PT's that may not have other options. They are not going to rob you at gun or knife point when you walk in.

There are also PT's who for job reasons can't let anyone know. So they hit a dispensary not near them, pickup meds and medicate in private. No one needs to know, however having a CG could expose them.

Eventually when their are safe, consistant supplies, you can argue they are not needed. However, there is no compassion club I can make it to, there is no farmers market that I can make it to, and no community that is near me. What should I do if I can't supply my patients? I personally out of pocket go to a Disp and buy meds for them. Once again, a Disp as a sole source of your meds is expensive, but as a option it is nice.

Explain to me again how a farmers market is different than a dispensary? The Farmers Market organizers pay for a location. To recoup costs, they charge each farmer for a space. The organizers make money off of the farmers, who then mark up their goods to pay for the space. The only difference is that your not paying some guy to sit behind a counter all day, instead you are paying the farmer to sit behind a table all day. Is it cheaper? Sure, but you can't tell me there isn't some mark up. Someone is making money off of these farmers markets, which is the same as the dispensary. The market has less overhead, and less security.

Anyway, that's my $.02... well maybe more like my $.10...

Cedar

OK dispensaries. Looks like its your turn to donate.

most good business models do support the community. I own a store, won't mention it as I know my position wouldn't be supported by all my customers, however I support my community and it is good for business. I donate to local PTA's, I give auction items to churches and other non-profits, I give back, and it lends a lot to local good will.

Dispensaries would be smart to do the same. If a local school got a new stadium because there was a dispensary near by, the parents on the PTA might be willing to look the other way more often because they see it as good for the community, even if they disagree with what is sold. Of course as long as the dispensary isn't getting it's name all over the stadium.

If our law is taken away, all dispensaries would close. it is in their best interest to support us.

Cedar

Most of the people I have met who frequent dispenseries do so for the same reason - because they like the convienience of having many different cannabis products available, any time they want.

It's pretty clear to me that most dispenseries market to the recreational herb smoker, and operate by exploiting loopholes in the MI med law. Sure legit needs can be filled for patients, but I see that as a very small part of their business. I voted no on this poll solely because they are illegal, and I think it would be irresponsible of the MMMA as an information source to direct patients into a possibly sticky situation.

Just my 2 cents of course. : )

Most of the people I have met who frequent dispenseries do so for the same reason - because they like the convienience of having many different cannabis products available, any time they want.

It's pretty clear to me that most dispenseries market to the recreational herb smoker, and operate by exploiting loopholes in the MI med law. Sure legit needs can be filled for patients, but I see that as a very small part of their business. I voted no on this poll solely because they are illegal, and I think it would be irresponsible of the MMMA as an information source to direct patients into a possibly sticky situation.

Just my 2 cents of course. : )

It would be irresponsible to say "outdoor growing is clearly illegal." Or "Patients from other states are able to use their medicine in Michigan. They just can't bring any with them and can not acquire any while here."

The reason is it could cause those things to be true. If we all agree it is alright for them to limit us, they will.

I don't want to add restrictions to the law that don't exist there.

It may surprise you. But Bill Schuette told voters in 2008 that this law would legalize dispensaries.

He said something like "by not explicitly forbidding them you implicitly allow them."

Guest thequietone

Yes PB pass on our good wishes to John. I know he was not feeling very well at the Rally and it appears he has gotten worse.

though im not familiar with him, i ll keep up on good thoughts for JR.

id just like to clear things up a smidge. I for one, have used a dispensory, and THCfinder and the pt/pt area of the site here. so far, everything has been fine. meet some great growers along the way, which are most all people i would consider an allie and good aquaintence. with that said, i wholey see the need. Some are great, some are not.

my Sole interest with them is their power over pubic opinion. before the mmj act passed, the publics biggest concern, hence the public opinion, was they didnt want to see them.

now their are two ways to take this imo. 1, dont want them open period, as in i dont want to say ANY mmj dispensory stores, which is how the pubics opion appeared to stand to me. or 2, dont put them on main street next to the walk in dairy park. dont use BIG Marijuana leaf logos. dont call your self the POT STORE and be next to ToysRUs or Pet Smart ect.. thats not to say you have to be in the back ally 30 blocks off mainstreet, but does imply that they maybe use a little Tact and Common Sence when making advertising decisions where visible points ads are considered.

that too is NOT SEEING. one of my local places is setup, you wouldnt even know it is what it is, until your inside. no chance of walking in in advertantly and is on a main rd in a busy section of the town its in. every one is easy to talk to, interested in what works for you, and can offer good advice on the strains they have. i think i mentioned earlier, this is the same place that has a locker model, and the cultivator sets the sale price. costs are between 10 or 11 up to 18, and everything but one perticular strain, had a lower donation needed for a larger donation of meds. so as the amount when up, the cost dropped per gram as it should. i got some of the one that had no brake, and it was worth the donation for what i got, so getting more, wouldnt of been an issue imo for that perticular strain.

summation: Finially really> lol yea need to sum it up SUMtime, heh:

are they needed? imo, yes. if for the only reason, Competition breeds innovation, and innovation reduces cost in the end. so if not for any other reason, this sole reason alone is good enough for me for them to be a viable entity, so long as they do follow the rules. i would hope the folks working are good compassionate people.

lets face it, cost will be more, they have overhead any other business has. unless they are warren buffet, and have money to burn, they have to cover the cost of keeping the door open. i dont think anyone can refute that, and imo, anyone that utilizes them, automaticaly takes that into account. i dont know anyone that goes to the goodyear plant to buy tires, or Ford WHQ in Det to pick up a new F150. do you?

so mmj is unique among pretty much every other product out, medical or not. the reason its like this falls squarly on our governments prohibition, and mis classification of what is likley one of the greatest staples of a healthy life as is Water, The Sun, Oxygen, Food, ect..

but their impact on public opinion can not be denied, and must not be overlooked. they do have the biggest eyeball inthe world watching the. John and Jane Q Public. thats a BIG Eyeball. now add Uncle Sam, and his group of prancing elves... you get the picture.

So i while do not utilize them if i have other options, i have little issue with them, and do see how they can help as long as they are doing the right things.

They were a big concern before, durring and will be for a while to come, in the court of public opinion.

They have a tough roud to walk, not sure id willingly walk in those shoes, but never say never right?

they Can, and many do, serve a good purpose. but like many things, the bad ones get all the attention.

but until public opinion changes, and we can trust the owners of them are GOOD PEOPLE that really are compassionate, then its going to be a long topic, discussion, thread, and debate. heh. as BB said, Decmocracy at its purest would also be my take away from the entire thread.

to the OPs Poll and Question.

i have yet to vote to this point. I often Want to vote with my heart, but my soul makes me wait and digest first. kind of like swimmming right after eating. need time to work it thru.

So after much reading, typing, thinking, more reading typing ect... and taking into consideration my obvious belief currently they are operating on Thin Ice as to due respect to the law as it is currently writen, thus will likely be enforced, i have to vote no.

in the end, if i am correct, and the omittion of them is purposefull (which it was, as it my understanding the direction was to get the past first and legal and enacted, and THEN work on the details of dispensory legality, co op grows, and more general business aspect of what the MMJ industry can offer Michigan Residents in terms of Jobs, Taxes, ect.. after some time has passed. i would say things are looking as if they are on path,) but now, today, if dispensorys are Illegal, and the MMMA allows them to openly advertise, then they are guilty of i think at minimal compliance knowing being involved in a felony, or perhaps more likly aiding and abeding during a Felony (i believe this would be one of many charges, but a main one) thus the 3MA could be held accountable.

its on this sole fact i must vote no.

California model dispensaries are illegal, but most Michigan model ones are not. A PT sells to a patient, and a patient sells to a PT. It is simply a p2p transfer which has been upheld as legal in court, not just by laymen reading the law and trying to interpret it, but by judges. Just because they have a store front doesn't make them illegal, the transaction is just a p2p.

I own a store and I could do p2p transfers inside of it. Nothing says I can't, and there are lots that say I can. Back room, locked door, nothing illegal about it, but that isn't my primary business function, so no one has a problem with it.

By hiding from the issue, we have no say in how they are implemented. The MI legislature could pass a law that completely legitimized dispensaries in a California model and we would have no say in it.

Beyond that, as I said the MMMA could set guidelines that the dispensary would have to adhere to in order to advertise. Only Michigan Meds, lower price for meds, why are we letting the MACC set up and determine how dispensaries are done here.

Advertised on here, our members could comment on each one, and say which are good and which aren't. Right now, we have no idea until we go there and buy something. Budfinder and weedlocater, etc have been extremely poor resources in finding dispensaries. I have used them and can't find any near me, but I go on message boards and I find there are some near.

We could put the bad dispensaries out of business, or at least hurt them enough that they change their ways. There will always be unscrupulus people running businesses, but those ones won't last, especially if we get the word out.

Archived