Protest In Lansing Today ? On Tv12-Flint! ... Now

Just saw this on the tube, from Flint, didn't know anything about it. Wait till you see the Video [***available now***]. These peeps had no signs, alledgedly 50 of em, fairly radical types, sad show, imo ...

abc12    ***with Video ***

"(05/01/13) - Those in favor of Medical Marihuana were outside the state capitol Wednesday afternoon.

Inside, lawmakers are considering new restrictions to the state law that allows its use.

State Senator Rick Jones says there are 130,000 people in Michigan with marihuana cards. He doesn't believe that many people need them, but Medical Marihuana supporters don't want the laws changed.

In 2008, state voters approved the use of marihuana to relieve pain and other chronic ailments.

Caregivers and supporters of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act stood on the capitol steps Wednesday afternoon for three hours to get a message across to law makers.They argue that lawmakers are denying access to the medicine that people received. 

Len Tobias uses Medical Marihuana on a daily basis.

"I've had small strokes. A lot of small strokes. It helps me get through the day. It's not where it kills the pain all day, but it makes it so I can work all day," he said. 

He doesn't think all of the state leaders are being fair when it comes to the use of Medical Marihuana.

"What we voted for wasn't what we're ending up with now," he said. "If we could legally trade with other patients, other caregivers, that's what we need to do. It's got to be fair, it's just got be even across the board. I don't know if they could ever figure out a way to tax it or not, that wouldn't bother me."

Sen. Jones says new restrictions were passed last year on how people can transport marihuana. He says it has to be locked up in the trunk or securely in the car.

These protesters say a lawsuit could follow if lawmakers don't stop hurting those who need the medical attention. 

"We got these sick people out here. They got a lady over here in a wheel chair. She lives in federal housing, she needs canvas because she's on 14 different medications, all to treat a side effect from the other one. Is that how we really want to live? She should be able to use a natural medication to treat herself," said protestor Chris Baldwin. 

Jones also argues that the Michigan Marihuana Law isn't strict enough."

Edited by solabeirtan

Come on KD,

You know he is a Doctor don't you?

Oh I mean he wanted to be a doctor but wound up being a Chiropractor.

Maybe that's why he hates us choosing our medicines, he couldn't be a Dr...

Oh by the way he is an donkey as I see it.

And Draconian to boot, agreed

There seems to be a reoccurring issue here in our great state. i see one group who has issues (all of us) with how we are treated. then it splits, there's the wild crazy stoner type.... who stands up for something, then there's the crowd who sits home. If we dont like their message we need to be out there spreading ours.

This isnt aimed at anyone, but seriously i see over and over again people who sat at home complaining about the voice. folks can sit here and condemn protests all they want, people have gripes they are going to express it, if you think you can say it better, get the hell out there and speak up then.

There seems to be a reoccurring issue here in our great state. i see one group who has issues (all of us) with how we are treated. then it splits, there's the wild crazy stoner type.... who stands up for something, then there's the crowd who sits home. If we dont like their message we need to be out there spreading ours.

This isnt aimed at anyone, but seriously i see over and over again people who sat at home complaining about the voice. folks can sit here and condemn protests all they want, people have gripes they are going to express it, if you think you can say it better, get the hell out there and speak up then.

Of course you start with the premise that if you aren't on the steps of the Capitol then you are doing nothing.  Many are out there spreading, "our message."  Because they are not doing it the same way doesn't mean it is ineffective.  I think everyone is allowed to comment on what happens at the Capitol bldg without first proving their worth to you.

Furthermore, I think you are missing the point.  This isn't a quid pro quo situation.  If a group does a shabby job protesting at the Capitol it doesn't mean that another group should then go and protest to clean up after them.  Part of the problem with protesting at the Capitol is that it is a public place.  Thus all sorts of interests try to hijack protests to promote their positions.  How many times has their been a protest that is supposedly about pt rights but the majority of signs, etc., are promoting NORML or other non-patient/MMA interests.  For those reasons many feel that a Capitol protest, at this point, is actually harmful to this discrete portion of the movement.

I understand what ya are saying,.... but it isn't really true.

What about the upstanding members of the community that are not crazy stoner types, that put on suits and simply walk into the Capitol and engage in sensible intelligient discussions?

:-)

I have no problems with people expressing their views and redressing their grievances tot heir government.  It is one of our most cherished rights as citizens.  So,... I encourage people to do it in a way they see fit that is reasonable and sensible and done with respect for the community.  That comes in many mnay forms. Emails, written letters, phone calls, personal meetings, protests, or even as minimal as simply casting their vote because that is more than so many do.

But I would say crazy stoner types are the minority, the professionals are a minority, and unfortunately, the majority is people that do nothing to contribute of value. :-)

It was a 30 year old kid. He paid 7,000 dollars to stand up on the capitol steps and yell about how pissed he is.. He ranted for 3 hours.. No serious direction other than he knew "its the place the laws were changed, and so here is where I am yelling". Now, the kid is homeless. He knew he was on his last legs and decided that it was still worth spending his last, doing what everyone around him was bitching about (no action takers). I commend him for stepping up. I dont care what his effect was; I applaud his intent and courage.

Look folks, I could care less how effective these guys are, or how poor you feel the representation of your interests are. What I saw was a sad disapointing display of a beat up community, and a very angry hurt young man. But what I didnt see, was YOU.

quoted from anothr forum---

They will be back though, probably in about a month. Callton apparently now realizes there are some serious problems with this bill, same goes for at least a few if not ALL of the sponsors.  We will remain vigilant but my personal opinion is 4271 is as dead as it ever was.

I see there is a Calton fundraiser tomorrow in Jackson that will include speakers Matt Able, John Targowski, Roger Maufort and of course Calton himself.

The speaking event is free and open to the public so I think I'll go check it out. Can't hurt although I'll be leaving before the fundraising begins.

PP, would that be the Medhead medible dude? There was a sizable ad taken out in the A2 paper by Medhead the Sunday before.

It was a 30 year old kid. He paid 7,000 dollars to stand up on the capitol steps and yell about how pissed he is.. He ranted for 3 hours.. No serious direction other than he knew "its the place the laws were changed, and so here is where I am yelling". Now, the kid is homeless. He knew he was on his last legs and decided that it was still worth spending his last, doing what everyone around him was bitching about (no action takers). I commend him for stepping up. I dont care what his effect was; I applaud his intent and courage.

Look folks, I could care less how effective these guys are, or how poor you feel the representation of your interests are. What I saw was a sad disapointing display of a beat up community, and a very angry hurt young man. But what I didnt see, was YOU.

quoted from anothr forum---

Who took him off for the $7,000. Could have at least given him a megaphone. Perhaps a script?  They told him this is the place, have at it ? I applaud his efforts then, too. 100% However anyone else that has more intimate knowledge of these perpetrators need to step up !    

That's why I was wondering if it was Medhead. I'm not sure the going advertising rates in print newspapers but they had a good 1/4 page ad in the A2 paper. If they also placed ads in Lansing, Jackson ect. I could see how you could spend 7 g's

Edited by shishka

Ohhh yeah sorry I wasn't familiar with them. They sure didn't get their moneys worth, eh?  Dont get those papers out here. Less I'm up tada Gas  station, I might look atom. Apparently not enough to get a bliiip outta us? Hey gas is money, gives new meaning to the phrase Gass, grass or apieceoyosweetass. ahhahahahhaa ...jk

Nobody Rides foFree!

whatwoulduUSay?

Edited by solabeirtan

lastime I heard that 'stole my money, got my monkey' tune was in the D when chuck horn and martin bandyke (liz copeland latenight) were all still at Wdet. / can't help thinking about the Aug. 'o4 incident whenever I stumble ((upon)) Matthews, dunno if I like the music more or less, -

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-04-29-dmb-dumping_x.htm

((if u laff, u def have sick sense of humor))

Edited by abe supercro

'tryin not to. Definitley got a grin. Yes I guess Im a little sick. Doesn't mean I condone it. Definitley a thoughtless, irresponsible, unjustifiable act. Perhaps an act of terrorism?  

However it wasn't Dave or any of the band...

"Last month, driver Stefan Wohl was sentenced to probation and community service after he pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and discharging contaminates to cause water pollution. Band spokesman John Vlautin said Wohl has been fired."

Im sure their  Lawyer took care of the victims personal needs. Thats their forte taking care of those small details. 

Sola, that lil mistake, don hardly matter if the band was there or not, cost the matthews band likely over 1/2 mil after fines, donations and paying the lawyer. > a lot of peeps were reminded, what-not(where-not) -to-ever-dooo, if there is a bright side in all that. /yuck, yuck... say boat ppl!

Edited by abe supercro