If I'm Approved Can I Use My Application At Dispensaries?

So tomorrow it will have been 20 business days since my check was cashed, which according to the law means I'm now officially legal. The MMM law website said that until I receive my actual card I can use my application in place of it. Does this also apply to dispensaries? Like would I be allowed to go to a dispensary right now with just my application and buy, or would I need some other kind of proof? Thanks for any information (:

I know you could when the law passed in 09 but a lot of changes have been made to our law as far as distribution since and I don't shop at any of the storefronts maybe someone  who has will chime in plus in lieu of the dispensaries there are a lot of great caregivers here looking to add patients check out our classifieds.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/classifieds/

Maybe try waiting another 10-16 days if you're more comfortable using the hard card. Seems like the time for card arrival is a month and a week, or so. Some dispensaries will take it, i would look online. Again, some great caregivers and i'll even add, some clubs that can steer you in the right direction. Congrats!!! Welcome to the program! stay healthy and happy :)

Edited by PurplePeopleEaterz

I stopped by what used to be a grow store only to find that it became a dispensary/farmer's market.  I figured that, while I was there, I'd check the place out.  They asked to see my card and then tried to take it from my hand.  I pulled back.  I was told "We need a copy of your card."  I asked, "Why, you can look at it and see that I'm legal.  Copying it won't change anything.  If you want a copy, I'm going to walk out."  They relented.  I browsed the place and left empty-handed.

Don't let anyone make a copy of your card. 

those records are most likely confiscated by the DTF, and entered as evidence on their behalf, not the defendants, imo.

The dispensaries existing today offer up many "illegal to possess" items, like bho, cbd caps, muffins, brownies, suckers, etc. buying them, carrying them, transporting them, using them in your home, or transferring them is currently under scrutiny, and said to not be protected.

Those guys cant even follow the law while they're  breaking it !!!!!  

those records are most likely confiscated by the DTF, and entered as evidence on their behalf, not the defendants, imo.

The dispensaries existing today offer up many "illegal to possess" items, like bho, cbd caps, muffins, brownies, suckers, etc. buying them, carrying them, transporting them, using them in your home, or transferring them is currently under scrutiny, and said to not be protected.

Those guys cant even follow the law while they're  breaking it !!!!!  

Wait edibles are illegal to possess?

So tomorrow it will have been 20 business days since my check was cashed, which according to the law means I'm now officially legal. The MMM law website said that until I receive my actual card I can use my application in place of it. Does this also apply to dispensaries? Like would I be allowed to go to a dispensary right now with just my application and buy, or would I need some other kind of proof? Thanks for any information (:

I honestly dont see why a despense wouldnt take your paper work as a card, they are out their selling and acting like despenses are legal and they are NOT!

so in my opin you are more legal than they are, why not be able to use paper work, actualy you should be able to use a despense with no kind of info or registry from the state!

Peace

Wait edibles are illegal to possess?

Anything that takes you over 2.5 oz of usable mj or any mixture or preparation thereof. Some argue that brownies, for example, are foodstuffs with cannabis added, and the standard baking ingredients cannot be legitimately counted. The court will decide.

Edited by GregS

the ruling was that it had to be a 'direct' preparation of the flowers or leaves, with identifiable flowers or leaves.  Extractions, distillations, etc were ruled to be cannabis, which is illegal, but not 'usable or unusable' cannabis that is covered and addressed in the act.  Weird for sure, but what it means is that if you can't see flowers or leaves, you don't have the protection of the act, and cannabis is illegal.

That is one of the reasons there is an effort to overturn that COA ruling.

Dr. Bob

Well, i must say..This is a pretty scary thread.

I mean, you could be in court for going to a dispensary?? thats shocking that they would try and bring so many people in court to testify, against a dispensary. Not saying that its not possible(obviously, someone has). I dont have a CG, but i am a patient who is hesitent on getting a caregiver(i dont know very well) due to the same principles(if he gets busted for something, and im one of his patients, with info).

Is it safe to assume we are all under the same risk, as a consumer from dispensaries or a caregiver? Not trying to ruffle any honest and great caregivers on this wonderful site, just trying to seek some knowledge. As i mentioned i am a patient, researching options of having a caregiver as i do not have the ability to cultivate at the moment and i dont have that much income to support a CG for $200/month, etc..

Ideally, going to a dispense for a month or two, until my situation improves is what i would prefer but know im worried about being caught up in a raid/etc..

There were some places in Ann Arbor/Ypsi, i was considering, some even have licenses.

Peace and be safe everybody!

Edited by PurplePeopleEaterz

I mean, you could be in court for going to a dispensary?? thats shocking that they would try and bring so many people in court to testify, against a dispensary. Not saying that its not possible(obviously, someone has). I dont have a CG, but i am a patient who is hesitent on getting a caregiver(i dont know very well) due to the same principles(if he gets busted for something, and im one of his patients, with info).

Is it safe to assume we are all under the same risk, as a consumer from dispensaries or a caregiver? Not trying to ruffle any honest and great caregivers on this wonderful site, just trying to seek some knowledge. As i mentioned i am a patient, researching options of having a caregiver as i do not have the ability to cultivate at the moment and i dont have that much income to support a CG for $200/month, etc..

Ideally, going to a dispense for a month or two, until my situation improves is what i would prefer but know im worried about being caught up in a raid/etc..

There were some places in Ann Arbor/Ypsi, i was considering, some even have licenses.

I think your odds of encountering an issue with a dispensary are extremely low.  But if you don't have $200/month to spend on a CG, then you don't have $200/month to spend at a dispensary, right?  You might consider signing a CG for a couple of months.  Meds from a CG will undoubtedly be less expensive than meds from a dispensary.

the ruling was that it had to be a 'direct' preparation of the flowers or leaves, with identifiable flowers or leaves.  Extractions, distillations, etc were ruled to be cannabis, which is illegal, but not 'usable or unusable' cannabis that is covered and addressed in the act.  Weird for sure, but what it means is that if you can't see flowers or leaves, you don't have the protection of the act, and cannabis is illegal.

That is one of the reasons there is an effort to overturn that COA ruling.

Dr. Bob

All forms of cannabis, to include extractions in foodstuffs, are defensible under sec. 8. One more reason to make sure you have all your bases covered.

the Michigan Supreme court said in Mcqueen that you are protected as a patient to acquire your cannabis from any source and you as a patient are protected (so long as it is solely to treat your medical condition).

when looking for a caregiver i would recommend you ask them lots of questions.

a good caregiver will answer all your questions happily and explain anything you need help with. 

ask them if they supply only there 5 patients or less or if they supply a dispensary or make any medibles.

the COA ruled in carruthers that the offending brownies were made with a concentrated cannabis extract and those are not considered usable cannabis according to the act.  the act protects cannabis directly that is defined as "dry usable flowers and leaves"

there is a lot of contention about that definition currently in the legal system as well as out here in internetland.

- bottom line -

as a patient do not fear acquiring or using cannabis to treat your condition.

also do not let anyone make a copy of your card or photo ID unless you are signing up with them for a state level legally connected contractual agreement with LARA.

I just recently made it past my 21 days and waited another week before contacting a caregiver. I decided to try a dispensary in the mean time and to see the difference in care options between the two. The dispensary accepted my paperwork as my card but did scan the information. I may be naive, but I can understand why they would want to do this. Just like when you see a doctor or go to a pharmacy, they want your information on file to protect themselves should they ever come under any kind of scrutiny. I assume they want to be able to prove that they are suppling to legal patients. I have a meeting set up with a caregiver in my area this week but I did find my experience with the dispensary to be a positive one. They had several wonderful options to best treat my condition, were very knowledgeable, friendly and easy.

I don't mean this as an attack as I am new new here and think the people here for the most part have good intentions, but the negativity I read on the part of dispensaries seems to come largely from people who are caregivers and don't agree with the way dispensaries are run or the prices they charge. I realize a lot has happened since 2008 and a lot of people on here have been very involved with how the law has unfolded over the years and are very skeptical about many areas of how the law works. It seems that many see the dispensaries as cash grabs but my personal opinion is that they are providing a service that many people use and also have overhead that must be covered in order to run that business. Caregivers don't have the same overhead a dispensary has and therefore can charge less for their services. In the end, both can remain a viable options and it is up to the patient to use whatever means is necessary for their personal health. I plan on using both but will continue to use a bit of caution when actually going to the dispensary. 

I just recently made it past my 21 days and waited another week before contacting a caregiver. I decided to try a dispensary in the mean time and to see the difference in care options between the two. The dispensary accepted my paperwork as my card but did scan the information. I may be naive, but I can understand why they would want to do this. Just like when you see a doctor or go to a pharmacy, they want your information on file to protect themselves should they ever come under any kind of scrutiny. I assume they want to be able to prove that they are suppling to legal patients. I have a meeting set up with a caregiver in my area this week but I did find my experience with the dispensary to be a positive one. They had several wonderful options to best treat my condition, were very knowledgeable, friendly and easy.

I don't mean this as an attack as I am new new here and think the people here for the most part have good intentions, but the negativity I read on the part of dispensaries seems to come largely from people who are caregivers and don't agree with the way dispensaries are run or the prices they charge. I realize a lot has happened since 2008 and a lot of people on here have been very involved with how the law has unfolded over the years and are very skeptical about many areas of how the law works. It seems that many see the dispensaries as cash grabs but my personal opinion is that they are providing a service that many people use and also have overhead that must be covered in order to run that business. Caregivers don't have the same overhead a dispensary has and therefore can charge less for their services. In the end, both can remain a viable options and it is up to the patient to use whatever means is necessary for their personal health. I plan on using both but will continue to use a bit of caution when actually going to the dispensary. 

While i agree with most of what you are saying and like your ability to think about both sides of the story, I disagree about the negativity coming from mostly caregivers.

I'm sure some do see dispensaries as a threat.

They do not affect me except to make me look good regarding price and quality.

There is good and bad product coming out of dispensaries, just like any business. Risk is high and so is overhead so they charge accordingly.

The negative flood on this forum comes mostly from patients who do not have a caregiver who actually does care, and feel like they are being taken advantage of, In my opinion.

There is not a lot of money to be made ,legally, in this area anymore. 

My only motivation to have a few patients these days is variety for self and patients.

It is hard to keep 12 varieties when you can only have 12 plants.

It is a fun hobby though and I will not give up on the dream of growing legally.

I dont bad mouth despenses because im a c.g or a pt, and I am both, In reality if despenses were legal and I as a c.g could grow overages above and beyond what I and my pt's use, could legaly sell to a despense I would most likely be all over that, despenses do have a much Higher over head, and if they are smart most of their overhead is an attny acct for down the road when the feds may or may not bust them,

A city can have despenses as far as I know, but that dont mean the state sanctions them or leo or the DA in that county,  and since they are not legal federaly they can and are being busted by the feds.

I know alot of c.g's that would love to be able to make their cash off of despenses and give their pt's very low cost or free meds, heck if I could break even or make a lil off of the despenses my pt's would no doubt be getting such a great deal on med grade mm or they would get it for free!

As it stands now a c.g can only supply their pt's that are registered to them thru the state registry, anything else for a c.g is not legal, as far as a pt obtaining mm for their qualifying ailgment they can get it any where, they just have to make sure they dont have over their 2.5 oz's of usable mm, I would stay away from buying medibles from any one, If I realy wanted a few medibles for my self, I would do it myself and not let any one know,,,,,,loose lips sink ships!

I would have to say for the most parts pts and c.g's are on disability or trying to get on it because of their ailgments!

Imo the best case scenario is to find a c.g who is willing to teach you how to grow, maybe even let you name them as your c.g and you keep possesion of the plants, and they can come over and show you how to grow your own, and in the mean time they supply you with mm that they are growing for other pt's, you have to remember that if you give some one your grow rights, it doesnt mean they are growing all 12 of your plants at one time, and you will not get 12 plants that they grew back from them, when you move on to be your own pt grower. if it was all done at your own gr you will have the plants that are in their, and a good c.g will be very happy you can take care of yourself and move on to help others!

Best of luck!

Peace

While i agree with most of what you are saying and like your ability to think about both sides of the story, I disagree about the negativity coming from mostly caregivers.

I'm sure some do see dispensaries as a threat.

They do not affect me except to make me look good regarding price and quality.

There is good and bad product coming out of dispensaries, just like any business. Risk is high and so is overhead so they charge accordingly.

The negative flood on this forum comes mostly from patients who do not have a caregiver who actually does care, and feel like they are being taken advantage of, In my opinion.

There is not a lot of money to be made ,legally, in this area anymore. 

My only motivation to have a few patients these days is variety for self and patients.

It is hard to keep 12 varieties when you can only have 12 plants.

It is a fun hobby though and I will not give up on the dream of growing legally.

The facts are that dispensary interests have bad-mouthed and are continuing to bad mouth caregiving as a dangerous thing. They have stated in the press and in the halls of government that the quality of caregiver product is somehow inferior. We know otherwise that the designer dope we create is a superior product that does not lend itself well to commercial operations. Caregivers are their feared competition, and they want caregiving the hell gone. You will please note that SB 0660 would require that there would be no option to use the state system found in the bill and the pt/cg system, but rather one with the exception of the other. Full access would require both options be available to all patients at all times. Other governments have worked things around to eliminate patient growing. Canada is one of them. Local governments in this state have what we consider to be unconstitutional moratoria and ordinances that prohibit home growing and restrict it and all medical use to specific areas, if at all. We have been working with that issue since 2009 and hope to see it resolved in the next few months by the Supreme Court. The law was passed by a huge electoral margin by any measure. The government was intransigent for decades and obstructed mj use altogether. We worked hard to gain the privileges we now enjoy and would still be without the stuff if not for that. Now that the genie is out of the bottle, Lansing is looking for ways to contain it, restricting access to some proposed limited and cash intensive distribution system, whether that be retail dispensaries, which they have disingenuously labeled provisioning centers, or pharmacies. We got up on our hind feet, went to the polls, and told them enough. We're still telling them enough. That they should enjoy the benefit of the drug in other than medicinal, but rather economically profitable ways that would limit immense profits to a few corporate interests, all the while working against the electorate that established the present model, is just wrong. After so many years of standing in the way of responsible use, there is every indication they intend to continue in that, under the guise of regulation and public safety. We say baloney.

Edited by GregS