New Bill Would Allow Medical Marijuana Dispensaries To Operate Legally With Video

Two bills headed to the Michigan Senate could soon make life easier for those who use medical marijuana by clarifying the state's 2008 law. 

The bills gained wide approval in the state House. 

Now it's up to the senate to decide whether or not medical marijuana dispensaries can legally operate in Michigan, and if other products should be available. 

"It's been a very confusing topic on dispensaries."

One bill would give patients who use medical marijuana a thrid option to obtain the drug. 

"Right now your patient is required to either grow their own ,or get it from their caregiver, and there's times that you're going to have problems with your own plants, and you should be able to have a back up to be able to go to a dispensary," says Kenneth Lee from the Cadillac Area Compassion Clinic.

Lee knows first hand. After suffering a debilitating back injury, he has used medical marijuana to live a pain-free life. 

"This medicine needs to be made available to people that are getting off their pharmaceuticals and are living a much healthier and happier life."

Wexford County Prosecutor Tony Badovinac, who recently shut down a number of compassion clinics, would have to disagree. He believes this would allow more people to take advantage of an already abused industry. 

"Will it open it up for abuse? Sure. Have we seen abuse already? Sure. There's a lot of people out there that think marijuana is now legal. It isn't. It simply isn't," says Badovinac.

The legislation would also expand the state's definition of marijuana-infused products- which would allow for the sale of foods containing the drug. 

"Now a lot of people, and children, don't need to be smoking it. You should be using extracts," Lee explains.

If the bill does pass, cities and townships will ultimately have some authority as to where dispensaries can operate. 

"I think maybe that's what it's going to end up, there's going to be pockets of civilization that don't want it and pockets that do."

A lieutenant from the Michigan State Police says they don't have a current stance on the new bills.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/26048039/new-bill-would-allow-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-to-operate-legally

Where will their product come from will caregivers and patients who grow be allowed to work with the pot shops?

b) Supplying, selling, transferring, or delivering medical 
 13 marihuana to a provisioning center that is registered, licensed, or 
 14 otherwise allowed by the municipality in which it operates if all 
 15 of the following requirements are met: 
 16 (i) The medical marihuana was produced by the registered 17 qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver. 
 18 (ii) The municipality in which the provisioning center operates 19 allows the transfer of medical marihuana from a registered 
 20 qualifying patient to a provisioning center. 
 21 (iii) The amount of medical marihuana transferred does not 22 exceed the amount of medical marihuana the registered qualifying 
 23 patient is allowed to possess under the Michigan medical marihuana 
 24 act. 
 25 (3) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a registered 
 26 primary caregiver is not subject to any of the inspections or 

HB-5104, As Passed House, December 12, 2013 

10 BY LAW AND IN CONFORMITY WITH ANY RESTRICTIONS IN THIS ACT OR THE 

11 MEDICAL MARIHUANA PROVISIONING CENTER REGULATION ACT. [HOWEVER, A 

QUALIFYING PATIENT OR REGISTERED CAREGIVER SHALL NOT TRANSFER MORE THAN 

50 OUNCES OF USABLE MARIHUANA TO A MEDICAL MARIHUANA PROVISIONING CENTER 

DURING A 60-CALENDAR-DAY PERIOD.]

Sorry it is only 2 months... my bad

Edited by Willy

Well, at least it says A provisioning center.  I take that to mean you can't transfer more than 50 to the same center.  It doesn't say to all provisioning centers.  Although I'm no lawyer and not great with vocabulary.  Is that a crime? :)

How many you need, i am happy that one is fine,, and remember if its not in the law it don't mean its legal, LOL

Wow ! 

Theres  a good thing for us all 

But how are you going to get 50 oz to the center when you can only have 15oz if you have 5 pt ?

Wow ! 

Theres  a good thing for us all 

But how are you going to get 50 oz to the center when you can only have 15oz if you have 5 pt ?

j

Multiple trips,, just only 15oz at a time..so you gotta make a few trips.. lol i can see that.. 

um 50 zips every 60 days!  If that is not enough go work for the black market! wow I cant beleive it is 50 every 60 days, so all you have to do is make 4 trips one day out of 60 and that should be a good pay day, I most likly will not supply any to a distribution center but I am glad they willl hopefuly be legal, there are alot of pts and c.g's that this will help, I have no prob with someone selling their overages to a d.c and pt's getting it from a d.c even c.g's getting it for their pts during times of trouble, It realy should be a win win for all involved, and the medibles,tinctures, salves, oils are a real must for people who cant or wont smoke it, now why would we expect a pt to smoke it when most people dont even smoke cigs any longer, our pts need many choices to do the meds so as to help them and make them comfortable!

wow 50 zips,,,,reminds me of the old days!   oops my lips are zipped lol!

Peace

We shall see in just a few more months .. I prefer to be an optimistic, rather than being a pessimistic

Well, you said you thought you 'knew' that some wording would 'stay'. Now you say you were just being optimistic. Obviously this is your first rodeo. Something has gotten your attention. Nice to see you engaged. I was paying attention the last time around. Where were you at 4:20 a.m. in the morning? I was being optimistic and got shot down. This time I'm being a little more realistic because I'm applying past experiences. Wording rarely ever gets left alone for months. When it's about transfers and Schuette hasn't weighed in yet? You can call your view optimistic. Edited by Restorium2

Well, you said you thought you 'knew' that some wording would 'stay'. Now you say you were just being optimistic. Obviously this is your first rodeo. Something has gotten your attention. Nice to see you engaged. I was paying attention the last time around. Where were you at 4:20 a.m. in the morning? I was being optimistic and got shot down. This time I'm being a little more realistic because I'm applying past experiences. Wording rarely ever gets left alone for months. When it's about transfers and Schuette hasn't weighed in yet? You can call your view optimistic.

were did i claim it that i KNEW it would stay,, no were.  it was a supposition..on my part..and i am not NOW SAYING, I didnt change my opinion ? only that i was optimistic it could . pick pick pick .. .  

I was thinking less than 30/60 days.  Just don't like limits, you never know.  May want to do 6 mos. on/6 mos.off. I may want to do extra to donate to trials to beat back bad interpretations of the law or fight for decriminalization.  Always best to have options since we know not what the future holds. :)