Venting Out A Window

Billy74

Hi, I just moved and am setting up my grow room, a have 6.5 Feet tent all the way around and I want to vent out the window, My question is how do I vent out a window without making it look suspicious the room is upstairs and the window is torward the backyard of the house. any suggestions would be appreciated. Also the fan I am using is a 6 inch tornado and I will be using 1 600 watt light and eventually will have 2 in the future.

Faced with a similar situation I painted a piece of plywood to match the general profile of the window surrounding. I attached two blocks of wood to it about six inches thick, clean painted cuts, over the plywood with the in and out ventilation holes cut in it. the false wall on the outside of that panel looked innocent enough, and the air was moving right behind it full time in the six inch gap between the panels. I cut the board a little smaller than the other panel so the air had a place to escape/enter

watch for condensation, vacuum in your house. my house is all electric so back drafting heaters and such was no issue.

Faced with a similar situation I painted a piece of plywood to match the general profile of the window surrounding. I attached two blocks of wood to it about six inches thick, clean painted cuts, over the plywood with the in and out ventilation holes cut in it. the false wall on the outside of that panel looked innocent enough, and the air was moving right behind it full time in the six inch gap between the panels. I cut the board a little smaller than the other panel so the air had a place to escape/enter

watch for condensation, vacuum in your house. my house is all electric so back drafting heaters and such was no issue.

Did you put anything on the outside so nothing could get in the holes like a screen or a dryer vent?

Did you put anything on the outside so nothing could get in the holes like a screen or a dryer vent?

I hung a carbon screen in front of the inlet. Bugs love buddies' clones. I never knew anyone who had mites that didn't take in a clone or let a buddy peek on the garden. Sealing up tight is good, but bugs will come from within if you're growing organic style.

Hydro small scale is easier to keep the buggers away, sans the organic style.

get a free/broken air conditioner and stick that in the window. disassemble it and use some wood to keep it in place. from the outside it will look like any window air conditioner.

of course in winter ....

i would probably convert the 6 inch pipe to a flat vent register.

thus the window would only be open a crack instead of 6 inches tall.

something like this:

qFFBoXQ.jpg

which is a 'slot air diffuser'

other things you could do:

put a dark window screen over the entire window, from a distance all you see is a screen.

or

storm shutters.

get a free/broken air conditioner and stick that in the window. disassemble it and use some wood to keep it in place. from the outside it will look like any window air conditioner.

That is a fab idea tpain. Love it, love it, love it.

Prolly hard to get a free air conditioner even if broken though. They hava lot of aluminum and copper in them and people sell that stuff.  But you could always buy one off craigslist cheap.

Said it once and will say it again. Good idea tpain. 

if its a house shoot for the chimney...i vent to the crawl space under my house,, with a filter at first but im out in the country, so no filters now..

Crawlspace is a great idea. Maybe put a Y connector on your vent pipe. Run one end out to a foundation vent for venting in the summer and leave the other end open to under the house for winter. I like the under the house idea. Let's you keep the heat in during the winter. Just put a pipe damper on each run of the Y connector so you can open one end and close the other with the seasons. Also maybe make sure you cap the ends with quarter inch wire mesh or aluminum screening to keep rodents out.

Crawlspace is a great idea. Maybe put a Y connector on your vent pipe. Run one end out to a foundation vent for venting in the summer and leave the other end open to under the house for winter. I like the under the house idea. Let's you keep the heat in during the winter. Just put a pipe damper on each run of the Y connector so you can open one end and close the other with the seasons. Also maybe make sure you cap the ends with quarter inch wire mesh or aluminum screening to keep rodents out.

It does make it warmer , and the heater bill is a small smidgeon lower.. but the floor is warm for the feet,, LOL

smaller grows probably not an issue, but the ventilated heated air could cause moisture issues in the crawl if not taken right to the outside. I've seen them fastened right to a crawl space vent from the inside, not even noticeable. Cold winter air under their mixing with hot humid air always haunted me when using outdoor air. got sick of it, and sealed up the grow room. never looked back. It solved several issues for me and saved money too, separate from my house.

Its generally a good idea to avoid crawl space air intake/make up in a grow room.

I forgot to mention that the board I was ventilating through was the same end board used to fill the space left by an ac unit partial fit. The end board was already there, I cut holes and put the other spaced board on the outside of it to cover the holes.

I couldn’t help but respond to this thread after seeing the Forum Heading. In a case we are litigating in Oakland County, this picture is in evidence and along with the assertion of “the smell of marihuana” (unexplained as to whether it was burnt, growing, recently cut, or what kind of smell of marihuana) was the probable cause averred in the affidavit as the probable cause for the search warrant. I will report on results as the litigation continues.

DSC01671.jpg

Thanx for posting that. I guess most here assuming that odor mitigation is important which is why Willy said he used to use carbon filters til he moved to the country.  And we assumed that people would understand why t-pain suggested the hidden air conditioner vent.  But I guess we shouldn't assume because some may not realize that.

If you're worried about odor definitely filter, filter, filter.

You should always think about disguising vents since that's a small expense.

I kept a carbon scrubber in each terminal end at the inlet of my fan, exhausting out of the tent from there. No smell escapes the Phat cans in my experience. This kept negative air pressure in the tent so when I opened for service the smell was minimized. the out vents were clean smelling.

Thanks for posting that Mr. Komorn !

I had this issue in an apartment, years ago. If you open the window a few inches, put blinds or curtAin on the window as normal, then take a piece of plywood with your exhaust vent cut in it put that over the blinds or curtain on the inside and vent away. I did this in a 300 unit apartment complex for about a year. Very stealth as it looks like a normal window slightly open for a breeze. Basically same idea as grassmatch, but with a blind or curtain in the middle, or both as I did. Hope that helps.

Keep in mind that if you mount that tornado anywhere near the window it sorta sounds like a tornado outside that window. They are loud. You can hear it for a good 50 feet or more. 

Yeah. And they're loud no matter where you mount them because the sound travels through the vent pipe. But you can get fans that mount in the vent pipe that I have found to work quite well. You can find them at any big box home improvement store in the hvac section.

Keep in mind that if you mount that tornado anywhere near the window it sorta sounds like a tornado outside that window. They are loud. You can hear it for a good 50 feet or more.

I actually had my fan mounted to one of the cheap duct mufflers, and as I said never an issue. Drew through a carbon filter into my lights and the fan and muffler were mounted to the plywood .