New Medical Marijuana Laws Set Industry 'on Steroids'

bobandtorey

The new medical marijuana laws, according to Sen. Patrick Colbeck, R-Canton, an opponent of the bills, take a small home-grown industry created by a 2008 ballot proposal "and puts that cottage industry on steroids."

Indeed, under the old law, a caregiver could grow up to 12 marijuana plants for each patient and couldn't serve more than five patients. The law was vague about dispensaries, leading to a glut in some cities like Detroit and Lansing that basically turned a blind eye to the businesses in their communities and a police force in other towns that shut down businesses with impunity

The new laws create three classes of growers: people who can grow up to 500 plants, up to 1,000 plants or up to 1,500 plants. They also create five classes of licenses — those for growers, testing facilities, transporters, the seed-to-sale tracking and dispensaries. Communities can decide whether and where they'll allow dispensaries to operate and charge an annual fee of up to $5,000 per dispensary.

The laws provide for a state tax at the dispensary level of 3% on gross receipts, of which 30% will go to the state general fund and much of the balance will go to local governments and police departments to help cover the cost of enforcement.

License fees will support an extensive bureaucracy that is expected to cost the state about $21 million a year, including 113 full-time state licensing employees, 34 employees with the Michigan State Police to do background checks on applicants, and $550,000 to the Attorney General's Office for legal expenses.

For the most part, licensing fees haven't been set yet, except that the state can charge no more than $10,000 per license for the class of growers who cultivate up to 500 plants.

Across the nation, eight states have legalized marijuana for medical and recreational uses. Another 20 states have medical marijuana laws and 17 more have laws legalizing medical cannabidiol  — a strain of marijuana that provides pain relief without the psychoactive high that accompanies traditional marijuana.

The regulatory structures differ from state to state.  In 17 of the 20 states that have only medical marijuana, the state Health Departments approve licensing and in three others — Arkansas, Maryland and Michigan — independent commissions deal with licenses, said Karen O'Keefe, director of state policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, a Washington, D.C., organization that advocates for marijuana legalization.

Of those three, Maryland's 16-member commission is appointed by the governor and has already run into controversy over the awarding of licenses. Two applicants who didn't get licenses have filed a lawsuit saying they were passed over for more politically connected businesses. The laws in Michigan and Arkansas call for the appointment of five-member boards with the Senate, House and governor making recommendations for those appointments.

"We support a structure that gives the patients the most options," O'Keefe said, citing Colorado, the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use, as a role model. "Anyone who meets the requirements can get a license. As long as you qualify you can get a license and that's best for patients."

Under Michigan's law, the five-member licensing board, which will be appointed soon by Gov. Rick Snyder, cannot limit the number of licenses available to qualified businesses, who will have to go through an extensive background check before they can be considered for a license.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/25/new-medical-marijuana-laws/99430088/

The new medical marijuana laws, according to Sen. Patrick Colbeck, R-Canton, an opponent of the bills, take a small home-grown industry created by a 2008 ballot proposal "and puts that cottage industry on steroids."

Not really. It's more like 'The Terminator' sent in to kill the Michigan Medical Marijuana cottage industry we have home grown from a grass roots initiative. It reminds me of the attempts to repeal and replace ObamaCare. They keep telling folks it's going to implode or explode or something, but it's going to be GONE so get ready to jump ship. But really they just have no clue what they are doing. 

steroids.   ya right... still cant find a cbd medicine clone in the entire industry.

But you can find plenty of CBD in most all great strains. If a high CBD clone (without THC) was really needed you could find them. Most folks throw rocks at that stuff because all it does is give you a headache (without the THC). But if you want no THC then just remove it.

Then you have 1 % left  no quite worth the work. did the pure ratios cbd patches less than 0.3% thc. no head aches but pain is gone,.   Harbor side sells the good clones , we need places like that " help the patients".. 2 to1 or 1to 1 ratio would be great.

https://www.ironlaboratories.com/current-results  

Edited by cristinew

Then you have 1 % left  no quite worth the work. did the pure ratios cbd patches less than 0.3% thc. no head aches but pain is gone,.   Harbor side sells the good clones , we need places like that " help the patients".. 2 to1 or 1to 1 ratio would be great.

Harborside is a vulture that spreads pure BS for money. We both know you can get what you need for your pain with the strains you already have. You bought into the BS hype from Harborside. Or one of your patients is brainwashed. 

https://www.ironlaboratories.com/current-results  

Show me true test results from the best strains you grow. Ones that have CBD. Then show me the test results for the oil you make out of it. Then heat treat that oil to change the ratio of THC to CBD and show me the test results from that. Prove to me that heat treating doesn't work. 

Edited by Restorium2

Harborside is a vulture that spreads pure BS for money. We both know you can get what you need for your pain with the strains you already have. You bought into the BS hype from Harborside. Or one of your patients is brainwashed. 

You have NO clue.  CBD works for a great many ailments and some people can NOT handle THC.  It works in a different way than THC.  Arborside is where I got my HP cannatonic.  You are the one spreading BS.  THC is NOT the only medicine in MJ.  Why you would want to spread lies about a cannabinoid found in cannabis is beyond me.  Aren't there enough lies out there from the other side already?

Show me true test results from the best strains you grow. Ones that have CBD. Then show me the test results for the oil you make out of it. Then heat treat that oil to change the ratio of THC to CBD and show me the test results from that. Prove to me that heat treating doesn't work. 

Well, first off you'd be converting THC to CBN which is a sedative and with that amount of CBN and very little CBD you'd have a completely different medicine than anything extracted from a 20 to 1 CBD to THC ratio plant.  You can't just burn off the THC and use what CBD is left.  You'd NEVER get to an oil that had 500-600MG CBD per gram with anything other than a 20:1 ratio plant(hi cbd and low THC).

Have you ever tried heat treating and testing?  You wouldn't believe the results anyway because u don't trust testing labs.  if anyone did prove it you'd still not believe and it'd be a waste of their money.  Show us it CAN work!

All the oil I have tested were 60.1 ratio  best was 55.1    No where near the cbd needed ,, yes some people do not want to smoke  or get high.. they want pain relief..  Arborside  was that a cut or a seed?

hmmm  Will have to check into that.. 1.1 ratio would be fine for me I here its very hard to find anything better in the cbd count,

Edited by cristinew

Look at it this way;

We know that you can make cannabis so you can't 'get high' off of it if you heat it too much. So reference the boiling point chart for cannabinoids. Keep subtracting by heating carefully and stop when you don't get high if that's what works for you. Or anywhere in between. It's infinitely adjustable. Just be careful and take notes to work from so you can repeat what you did. 

In this thread I will keep it simple. THC boils at a lower temp than CBD. Find a strain with CBD and subtract the THC until it's works the way you want it to. You might find it easy like I have. Or it might not work for you. 

Where is the proof?  There is not enough of a difference in boiling point to not destroy most of the CBD in the process.  Where did you get a heating system that did not swing more than 20f in temps while keeping the heat going for that long?  Must be some pretty expensive equipment.

Look at it this way;

We know that you can make cannabis so you can't 'get high' off of it if you heat it too much. So reference the boiling point chart for cannabinoids. Keep subtracting by heating carefully and stop when you don't get high if that's what works for you. Or anywhere in between. It's infinitely adjustable. Just be careful and take notes to work from so you can repeat what you did. 

Why do we have to do it your way?  How do you get more than 1% CBD?  Do you realize how much MJ you'd have to waste to just get 60mg a day oout of a hi THC strain with 1% CBD or less?  Why not just admit you're wrong and all this extra you are talking about doing to accomplish something that's easy to accomplish with a hi CBD cut is stupid?  Just so you can say you are right?  What a waste.

And degrading THC to CBN makes it sedative.  You may not get hi but you will go to sleep with tht much CBN and that little CBD.  Again, do it and show us your results if you want anyone to believe that would work.  Your first given statement has not been proven.  And no that won't work for anyone, sorry but you are spreading false information!

Edited by ANHEMP

All the oil I have tested were 60.1 ratio  best was 55.1    No where near the cbd needed ,, yes some people do not want to smoke  or get high.. they want pain relief..  Arborside  was that a cut or a seed?

hmmm  Will have to check into that.. 1.1 ratio would be fine for me I here its very hard to find anything better in the cbd count,

If I didn't get Sunn Hemp virus I'd give you some seeds.  I have a 2:3 purple tonic that's 10%THC and 15%CBD( close to the star tonic cut) and it's sister came out 2:1 THC to CBD and 2 pennywise cannatonics that came out to 3:4 THC to CBD and just harvested a gorilla tonic that I have yet to be dried and tested.  I think I made the seeds before the Sunn Hemp Virus made it in but wouldn't want to spread it.  The Huel Perkins cut seems to lend well to giving 50/50's or higher CBD cuts with whatever it's bred to.  I also crossed 3 males back to mom from the Purple Tonics I made and haven't run them yet.

The huel Perkins Cannatonic came from Arborside and was 16%CBD and .6%THC I think.

I like to keep it simple so we don't need to argue about it. When you have a quart jar of oil from a great strain like Original Diesel from the SFV you have some serious CBD in there. If you want CBD a person can find a way to use it without the THC. I mentioned one way to do it. A person needs such a tiny amount of CBD. A tablespoon out of that jar would be enough for hundreds of doses. That puts things in perspective. The people who need CBD don't need a ton of it. They don't need it from special strain that only contains CBD. 

Hmmm, I think sometimes people confuse the numbers.

a plant with 15% THC and 1% CBD might actually have more total CBD present than a plant with 15% CBD and 1% THC.

:-)

Makes no sense  at all  .  Most rec plants have around  15% thc and less than 1% cbd     20 mg  of cbd does work... I agree you need very little.  but to extract it from 60.1   or  40.1  ratio oils makes no sense... 

If ya want CBD, grow a cbd heavy plant.  I am not sure I am understanding the points. :-)

CBD = Hemp strain

Get the right hemp strain, cross it.

Stuff grows wild across the midwest.  3 main derived hemp strains.

But yea,... the percentages aren't measured by plant weight. An ounce of a high THC strain may actually gross more CBD than a high CBD plant.

I have no real use for CBD myself, doesn't help my condition. But, some need CBD for sure.  I am more in the entourage effect category, but yea sure.

If ya want CBD, grow a cbd heavy plant.  I am not sure I am understanding the points. :-)

CBD = Hemp strain

Get the right hemp strain, cross it.

Stuff grows wild across the midwest.  3 main derived hemp strains.

But yea,... the percentages aren't measured by plant weight. An ounce of a high THC strain may actually gross more CBD than a high CBD plant.

I have no real use for CBD myself, doesn't help my condition. But, some need CBD for sure.  I am more in the entourage effect category, but yea sure.

No, there are CANNABIS plants that have 15 - 20+% CBD in Michigan.  Hi CBD is not hemp.  There are no "hi THC strains" that are going to have more CBD than 15% unless you count star tonic(15%CBD and 10%THC) as "hi THC".

Edited by ANHEMP

Hmmm, I think sometimes people confuse the numbers.

a plant with 15% THC and 1% CBD might actually have more total CBD present than a plant with 15% CBD and 1% THC.

:-)

If the hi CBD plant produces a gram and the hi THC plant produces a pound, sure.  But what if you want the CBD and not that much THC.  Pretty useless then.

Edited by ANHEMP