Statement From Cpu

So dig in and put your energies toward the happenings in Lansing. The childish stuff will be here when that is over, and y'all can go right back at it. Those who cannot tear themselves away from self absorbed belly button gazing and stroking their egos are only taking desperately needed time from those who would profitably engage.

I'll be damned if we cannot turn the drama that we have been involved with to our advantage. If we play it right, the timing, with us coming back together now, might prove fortuitous.

Whoinhell is at the helm here?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what are we going to do over the next couple of weeks aside from arguing among ourselves?

I have a call into Richard Hammond's office. He is my rep and happens to be the Minority Leader of the Democratic Caucus.

What is anyone else doing that will work constructively??

Rep. Ellen Cogen i am in contact with her

Nobody is at the helm here..........

That's what it feels like...

Like him or not, Joe's frequent posts and updates were reassuring... I like knowing what's going on, what the plan is, but right now it feels exactly like kruzty just said, there is no plan. I feel like we're just sitting and waiting for us to get screwed by the legislature. With what's going on there, there should be open and frenzied planning from the top echelons here but I'm not seeing it... if something is going on behind the scenes please do let us know, I know it'd make me feel better about all of this.

So dig in and put your energies toward the happenings in Lansing. The childish stuff will be here when that is over, and y'all can go right back at it. Those who cannot tear themselves away from self absorbed belly button gazing and stroking their egos are only taking desperately needed time from those who would profitably engage.

I'll be damned if we cannot turn the drama that we have been involved with to our advantage. If we play it right, the timing, with us coming back together now, might prove fortuitous.

Whoinhell is at the helm here? i am for now

That's what it feels like...

Like him or not, Joe's frequent posts and updates were reassuring... I like knowing what's going on, what the plan is, but right now it feels exactly like kruzty just said, there is no plan. I feel like we're just sitting and waiting for us to get screwed by the legislature. With what's going on there, there should be open and frenzied planning from the top echelons here but I'm not seeing it... if something is going on behind the scenes please do let us know, I know it'd make me feel better about all of this.

THIS IS THE PLAN! Everyone call your state Rep- the person from your district in the House of Representatives, ask them to vote NO! There are MANY of us who will be in there reaching out to our contacts, doing what we can. JOIN US!

well put Sparkly Buds...

We too lobby for no changes. But unfortunately that alone is not enough. At least I can honestly say we have done our best to add less toxic language. Now unless a miracle of sorts occur and the Republicans in the House agree to more language fixes, we will work to thwart the bills from getting the necessary 3/4 to pass. By the way, as far as the govt saying "we consulted with a large group of patients", if you have seen the first of the hearings on the House videos, you can see that they already listed the multiple groups that they spoke to. By the way, MMMA was listed. So in that respect it is not CPU alone they cite as having made a pitch to them. The real difference in fact is that CPU has been part of a couple task forces that MMMA was not included in. And may I say CPU was not part of Rep Calltons task force for dispensaries. I left my card there on March 8th, and they never called me at all. Despite what Callton's aide Nick told Medcnman, I have never spoken to the Rep or his staff. We accepted not being in the dispensary task force because you don't always get your way in the real world of politics, yet you must be gracious about it, or you will never be invited.

And I agree it is okay to agree to disagree.

What I don't and will never agree to, was Mr. Cain using outright lies and untruth's to discredit and distort the CPU positions. Truth is truth and any time it get's spun it is a bad thing.

People are really confused about this 3/4 thing. It only takes 51% to change thew law. It takes 3/4 to make it an immediate change. That's in the Michigan Constitution. But the current Republicans are not going by the Constitution. They are passing bills and having them take effect immediately. So any changes are going to go into effect within 24 hours of a 51% vote, totally Unconstitutionally.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-maddow-show/46973330

People are really confused about this 3/4 thing. It only takes 51% to change thew law. It takes 3/4 to make it an immediate change. That's in the Michigan Constitution. But the current Republicans are not going by the Constitution. They are passing bills and having them take effect immediately. So any changes are going to go into effect within 24 hours of a 51% vote, totally Unconstitutionally.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-maddow-show/46973330

It takes a 3/4 vote to change a law that was enacted by a referendum.

It doesn't take 3/4 for immediate effect. It takes 2/3.

simple majority can change anything that is administrative in nature Bruce.

but it require a 75% super majority to change any Non Administration part of the Act, and separately, needs a 75% super majority to be immediately implemented.

Neither of Which it appears were had, yet the Repubs pushed them thru anyways, illegally like the CoA did.

Coincidence? i think not.

simple majority can change anything that is administrative in nature Bruce.

but it require a 75% super majority to change any Non Administration part of the Act, and separately, needs a 75% super majority to be immediately implemented.

Neither of Which it appears were had, yet the Repubs pushed them thru anyways as seen in the reports, and illegally like the CoA did.

Dems sued, lower court upheld, told repubs to follow the law they appealed to the CoA, because they dont want to follow our Mi Constitutional Law, CoA over ruled lower court on 2 of the 3 laws, allowing the Repubs to get Immediate Implementation illegally.

this is the Same CoA that is hearing the MMJ case.

Coincidence? i think not.

Cav is correct. Let me spell it out more clearly.

4834 and 4851 need 3/4 of the House and Senate to pass, because they amend the MMMA.

4853 and 4856 do not amend the MMMA they amend other laws, so they need a simple majority. The Republicans can pass these two with no Democratic help.

To make a bill take immediate effect they need a 2/3 vote. That is what Rachael Maddow is talking about.

Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the qualifying patient possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana, and, if the qualifying patient has not specified that a primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

This seems to specifically contradict HB4856. Are you sure it would require a 3/4ths vote? Making it a misdemeanor to possess in a car seems to violate the above. I guess with the courts we currently have in MI they will probably just do whatever they want.

I also don't know why the courts don't allow a card as a defense. Isn't that why we all signed up, filled out their paperwork and sent them money? For protection against prosecution? And yet the judges tell the defense not to bring up the fact that a defendant is a cardholder. So why did we all put our names and addresses on a list? To me, it just makes no sense at all.

A couple of other points about the law, as it was written;

"Rule 333.121 Confidentiality.

Rule 21. (1) Except as provided in subrules (2) and (3) of this rule, Michigan medical marihuana program information shall be confidential and not subject to disclosure in any form or manner."

And now they want to give LEO access to a list of people who have registered? Pure nonsense!

"Rule 333.127 Management of medical marihuana.

Rule 27. (1) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege."

It sounds like a solid defense to me, IF a LEO was stupid enough to arrest a valid, law-abiding citizen.

I think the problem with the cards is that folks are making very minor mistakes. If you don't have the card on you, all bets are off. Same if your plant counts aren't right, weights aren't right, front door isn't locked, or any of a thousand innocent and insignificant errors. Not to mention clear and outright violations of the Act.

My advice has always been to try and figure out how a prosecutor will try and knock a hole in the defense, and then be proactive to not allow him/her to use that against you.

Dr. Bob

Archived