Google Earth Used To Uncover Illegal Marijuana Grow

trix

Google Earth Used to Uncover Illegal Marijuana Grow

US police are now using Google Earth as a resource to uncover illegal marijuana grows throughout the country.  Most recently, Oregon authorities discovered what appeared to be an illegal outdoor marijuana grow and used an aircraft to verify their suspicions.

10.23-earth.png

The original satellite views, taken in June, shows several marijuana plants planted in neat rows in the back yard of a home.  The homeowner, Curtis Croft, was a legal medical marijuana patient in Oregon, but was found to be growing almost three times the number of plants than the state’s law allows.

Croft was registered to grow medical marijuana for five people, which amounts to 30 mature plants, but police raid in September seized 94 plants, according to authorities.

Croft was arraigned on drug charges last week and released.

Police cite Google Earth as the tool that led them to Croft in the first place.

[Source]

Using Google earth to discover cannabis grows seems unlikely unless there was some reason for the prohibitionists to look in the first place.

At our local airport we have an occasional visitor who flies an old J-3 Cub. He is also an anti-drug state police crusader who claims he is able to spot grows from his plane. This too seems unlikely even though the Cub has a loiter speed of 50 mph.

It is simply too difficult to fly low enough to see anything even at 50 mph with any reasonable certainty. He does have a lot of neat radios however, far in excess of what he would ever pay for with his own funds.

I suspect he has snitches who feed him tips and then he flies by to justify his government funded airplane gas and toys.

Little wonder he hopes cannabis is always illegal.

Like most folks he doesn't care about what is good for anyone other than himself.

Edited by outsideinthecold

Using Google earth to discover cannabis grows seems unlikely unless there was some reason for the prohibitionists to look in the first place.

At our local airport we have an occasional visitor who flies an old J-3 Cub. He is also an anti-drug state police crusader who claims he is able to spot grows from his plane. This too seems unlikely even though the Cub has a loiter speed of 50 mph.

It is simply too difficult to fly low enough to see anything even at 50 mph with any reasonable certainty. He does have a lot of neat radios however, far in excess of what he would ever pay for with his own funds.

I suspect he has snitches who feed him tips and then he flies by to justify his government funded airplane gas and toys.

Like most folks he doesn't care about what is good for anyone other than himself.

For years my dad flew state police around looking for grows and they found a lot of them. he said the plants stick out like a sore thumb..

cannabiss is one of the easiest plants to see from the air, the color is dif from all others at crop time. and after the narc squads study they are very easy to find from the air compared to the ground, I know some one that used to do the fly overs, they flew in grids and if they did not spot it their cams did, with a reading of where it was seen.

people have no idea how easy it is to find mmj from the air, with all of the drones these days flying around and people in offices flying them and looking at all the cams can see in real time and in recordings,

mostly in MI if people are growing ilegal out doors on state property or even on their own farm land or family's farm land, they think corn feilds are perfect, couldnt be farther from the truth, by crop time all of the corn is brown and the beautiful mm plant is a beautiful green lol, If you live in an area that has fly overs every fall you have to be realy sneaky or lucky, in my opin you could put a few in the back of your house like they are bushes and get away with it, ive been to peoples homes and if im not paying attn, Ive walked right by beautiful plants right up against their homes growing to there full glory!

I might just do a fly over today on google earth lol, and see what I can see, everything around here on street veiw or air view are about 6 yrs old, I go right to my house and can see every thing from the road from the day they took the pic, right upto if the pic was done before I replaced the mail box or if it was before or after they tore the house down next door, the pics for our home are older, they still have my old mail box and the neighbors house there, which has been torn down for quite a few yrs, but than again im not a government worker an dont have acces to sattelite fly overs as to get up to the min shots!

Peace and be safe!