Could Retail Medical Marijuana Thrive In West Michigan?

bobandtorey

State lawmakers could likely establish a system to tax and regulate medical marijuana dispensaries this month, but many question whether those businesses will ever thrive in West Michigan.

Over the past five years, dispensaries have primarily been located in places like Lansing, Ann Arbor and Detroit. Dozens operate in the open in those cities under legally gray auspices in which local officials and law enforcement back away from shutting them down.

That’s not necessarily the case in West Michigan, where as recently as last month, medical-marijuana dispensaries were raided and shut down by area drug task forces.

But after years of efforts led by Republican state Rep. Mike Callton from Nashville in Barry County, 2015 may finally be the year Michigan creates a system to clarify the legal ambiguities around dispensaries.

A pair of bills — HB 4209 and 4827 — would require licensing for commercial grow operators, transporters and retail businesses, tracking medical marijuana under a “seed-to-sale” system that could be accessed by law enforcement.

A major component of the legislation, though, would give municipalities the option of regulating dispensaries or banning them outright. Until now, advocates say West Michigan communities and prosecutors have been less-than-friendly toward the businesses.

“I see it going both ways,” said Jamie Goswick, an advocate with the state chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Medical Marijuana Laws, referring to the likelihood of raids ending. However, she also expects minimal industry growth even if the bills pass. “There is very little to choose from now. I really look forward to seeing people have the opportunity to have a wider selection.”

Goswick is aware of only two dispensaries in Ottawa County and “only a few” in the Grand Rapids area. On Nov. 18, drug enforcement task forces raided three businesses in Plainfield Township near Grand Rapids that police say were illegally selling pot under the state’s medical marijuana law. The police were reportedly tipped off about the businesses and made several undercover visits earlier in the month. The Kent County Prosecutor’s Office will decide if any charges get filed.

“It’s just sad to see one pop up and then immediately get shut down,” Goswick said. “It’s so much more strictly enforced here than on the east side of the state.”

In 2013, the Michigan Supreme Court upheld a ruling that medical marijuana dispensaries engaging in patient-to-patient sales are not protected by state law and could be shut down as public nuisances.

Attorney General Bill Schuette advised county officials how to prosecute the businesses as public nuisances, saying at the time that the 2008 voter-initiated law is “not an open door to unrestricted retail marijuana sales.”

A spokesman for the Grand Rapids Police Department did not respond to a request for comment on its position toward dispensaries.

State Sen. Rick Jones, the Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a former Eaton County Sheriff, believes it’s time for the state to start regulating these businesses in lieu of the current situation.

“Right now, what’s going on is totally illegal and someone could end up in prison,” Jones said. “Dispensaries in four cities have been allowed by the mayor and city council to exist. That’s the system we have right now. It’s all quite dangerous for folks involved in this. … I think coming up with a system that allows for growers, transporters and dispensaries is much better.”

Jones said he’s hoping to move the bills out of committee and have a full Senate vote in early December.

A third bill, HB 4210, would amend the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to allow for edible forms of consumption. All three bills had strong bipartisan support in the House.

KEEPING POT OFF MAIN STREET

Goswick attributed the conservative nature of West Michigan communities as a main driver preventing dispensaries from thriving in the region. Communities here just don’t want to see them, she says.

But, as a former resident of Breckenridge, Colo. — a heavily tourism-dependent town that sought to keep dispensaries off main thoroughfares — she sees an opportunity for places like Holland and Grand Haven, which also attract seasonal tourists.

“There is a way to embrace it without being obnoxious about it,” she said. “In Breckenridge, they didn’t want tourists to see these businesses. They wanted it available, but wanted it out of the direct path through town. I’d love to see a town like Grand Haven embrace that instead of fight it.”

Additionally, Goswick sees business opportunities in West Michigan for product-testing facilities and specialty product makers like marijuana-infused food products.

“It’s exciting to see companies like that pop up,” she said.

Susan Bond, a Kent County-based paralegal who set up a “safe transfer point” business model in several West Michigan locations that matches growers with patients who can’t otherwise grow for themselves, is more skeptical of the dispensary system working in West Michigan.

“I think everyone is going to go back underground” to acquire medical marijuana, she said, referring to the complex and potentially expensive regulatory system.

Rep. Callton has reportedly said that while this may be true, the benefit of having clear direction from the state as opposed to the system in place now outweighs those potential drawbacks.

LAW ENFORCEMENT CONCERNS

Despite strong bipartisan support among lawmakers, there is still uncertainty over whether Gov. Rick Snyder would sign the legislation if it reaches his desk. The governor has not yet taken a position on the bills, according to a spokesman.

“The governor’s office will wait until the legislation is approved in both chambers before being able to conduct a thorough review and determine whether the bills will be signed. We’re still very early in the process for these particular bills,” Snyder spokesperson Dave Murray said in a statement on Nov. 19.

Additionally, police officials and other advocates have expressed concerns to lawmakers, hoping the number of commercial growers’ licenses will be scaled back.

The Michigan Sheriffs Association testified before Jones’ committee in November that local law enforcement units wouldn’t have the resources to inspect such facilities unless the number was capped. That’s a position being advocated by the Michigan Responsibility Council, a trade group “dedicated to the safe and legal use of cannabis for qualified medical patients.”

“We believe, as do members of law enforcement, that the current method of licenses in HB 4209 would provide for hundreds of licenses to meet the demand. We think that’s far too many,” said MRC President and CEO Suzie Mitchell.

Any amendments made in the Senate would be sent back to the House for approval. The House overwhelmingly approved the dispensary regulations and seed-to-sale tracking systems in October on 95-11 and 99-7 votes, respectively.

- See more at: http://mibiz.com/item/23114-could-retail-medical-marijuana-thrive-in-west-michigan#sthash.moAvL5XD.dpuf

The fknrepublicans reps (that's all there is )here in republicanistan (west Michigan)have publicly proclaimed...NO marijuanna, No dispensaries, No headshops, No jury nullification

They don't want any competition, they run the game Now!

Only the relatives of LEO , get a pass to deal drugs.
It's the republican way.

Heck the Leo up here is under scrutiny for loosing M-16s.....lost? Yeah right!

Take a look at the blatant abuses around the country by radical right wing Leo.
They have no place a the negotiating table.

Edited by zapatosunidos

“There is a way to embrace it without being obnoxious about it,” she said. “In Breckenridge, they didn’t want tourists to see these businesses. They wanted it available, but wanted it out of the direct path through town. I’d love to see a town like Grand Haven embrace that instead of fight it.”

Then let it be legal where anyone can grow it and sell it. Damming up the supply is what makes marijuana obnoxious. We don't want to be involved with The Obnoxious either. These prohibitionists are Obnoxiousness Enablers. Remove the dams and the flow will spread out and be more calm and less 'sticking out like a sore thumb'. The dams they advocate for create the mess they cry about. 

The fknrepublicans reps (that's all there is )here in republicanistan (west Michigan)have publicly proclaimed...NO marijuanna, No dispensaries, No headshops, No jury nullification

They don't want any competition, they run the game Now!

Only the relatives of LEO , get a pass to deal drugs.

It's the republican way.

Heck the Leo up here is under scrutiny for loosing M-16s.....lost? Yeah right!

Take a look at the blatant abuses around the country by radical right wing Leo.

They have no place a the negotiating table.

Please stop this.  I don't see how this type of discourse will win over any minds.  Thank you.

ymGz7m0.jpg?1

Is it really that bad in West Michigan? Well, sort of if you are thinking of doing retail.

But if you can count and stay within limits, the mmj law is working pretty well here. Indeed, I've been tracking the arrests in Berrien County since my own introduction to the plant police ninjas and the informer network they suck off of in 2009. Arrests for casual mj are way down and many caregiver and patients have long-standing relationships that will last regardless of the politicians.

Also note the proposed changes are bipartisan and as such the greatest threat to the mmj community. Will griping about the Republicans change that?

Edited by outsideinthecold

Please stop this. I don't see how this type of discourse will win over any minds. Thank you.

Who are you trying to win over?

You will turn into a pillar of salt before you change a repubs mind on MJ.

Go to a democrats monthly meeting. No arguing there and cannafriendly to.

Here is a good test. Spark up conversation and a blunt at the deems meeting and watch what happens.

Then go to the repub meeting and do the same, but bring bail money!

The hearts and minds are in...Greed is Out and it's Cannabis for the win

Edited by beourbud

Would retail thrive? No. Repubs stay awake nights trying to legalize their cartel and zone out MJ. Preemptive laws for their competition

It is impossible to accurately describe the republican disdain for MJ in west Michigan. Seriously

Those right wing Christian radicals are anything but tolerant

Furthermore despite any offence, they do run the show now. I wasn't attacking plaquetoo I was being candid.

If your connected to them, you get a pass.

Edited by beourbud

The Republican thing some have here is really puzzling. Every Republican is against mj? And every Democrat is for it?

Meanwhile, there are some other ancillary issues related to both parties, specifically the broader economy. So far none of the Deep Blue Democrats here can explain how we can afford even our current level of government spending.

What is obvious to me is many of our friends here on the mmj site, and millions more Americans are in desperate need of help, help that an increasingly stressed economy is not growing fast enough to provide.

Is bigger government a solution? Or the problem? Keep in mind, the Republican's Arrest-and-Punishment Industry is Big Government as much as the Democrats ever expanding regulatory bureaucracy. The costs of both weigh heavy on all Americans and yet the politicians keep piling on more and more burdens on ever fewer taxpayers.

Consider immigration. Can anyone explain how importing more 10,000 Syrians will help the economy? The sad truth is these days letting undocumented illegals enter is a net drain on the economy. Even worse, the more folks we let enter illegally doesn't solve anything, it actually makes the problem worse.

Letting in illegals doesn't 'fix' things, it only creates more illegals. That is simple Supply-and-Demand. Welcoming refugees only creates more refugees. With millions fleeing Syria, Obama's version of Bush's Iraq, why 10,000? Why not take them all?

We have major unaddressed problems and they are getting worse. It is past time for us to put aside partisan party politics.

Anyone ho thinks the Republicans have all the answers hasn't got a heart. Anyone who thinks the Democrats have all the answers, hasn't got a brain.

Just my opinion. Lots of times in error, never in doubt.

Edited by outsideinthecold

So... you still choose to be argumentative, sigh.

I guess I could go to the judiciary meeting and sit impotently watching Kesto's cartel hijack our law.

This citizen is motivating many to join in defeating the anticannabis repubs. We get emails of support hourly.

I travel to different dem county meetings across the state teaching patients how to grow and supporting Free the Weed.. The enthusiasm and energy is off the charts.

There will always be opposition but we are winning and will be victorious. GAURENTEED

No argument, just the facts.

The repubs have proven their enmity towards MJ. It's in their DNA

We the People have been oppressed for way too long. Over 70 years

We are at war with the War on Cannabis.. We will use all assets and resources at are disposal to defend ourselves.

Sit on the porch if you want but this dog is gonna join the pack and Fight the Good Fight.

You know I respect the heck out of you Imiubu

Edited by beourbud

The Republican thing some have here is really puzzling. Every Republican is against mj? And every Democrat is for it?

Meanwhile, there are some other ancillary issues related to both parties, specifically the broader economy. So far none of the Deep Blue Democrats here can explain how we can afford even our current level of government spending.

What is obvious to me is many of our friends here on the mmj site, and millions more Americans are in desperate need of help, help that an increasingly stressed economy is not growing fast enough to provide.

Is bigger government a solution? Or the problem? Keep in mind, the Republican's Arrest-and-Punishment Industry is Big Government as much as the Democrats ever expanding regulatory bureaucracy. The costs of both weigh heavy on all Americans and yet the politicians keep piling on more and more burdens on ever fewer taxpayers.

Consider immigration. Can anyone explain how importing more 10,000 Syrians will help the economy? The sad truth is these days letting undocumented illegals enter is a net drain on the economy. Even worse, the more folks we let enter illegally doesn't solve anything, it actually makes the problem worse.

Letting in illegals doesn't 'fix' things, it only creates more illegals. That is simple Supply-and-Demand. Welcoming refugees only creates more refugees. With millions fleeing Syria, Obama's version of Bush's Iraq, why 10,000? Why not take them all?

We have major unaddressed problems and they are getting worse. It is past time for us to put aside partisan party politics.

Anyone ho thinks the Republicans have all the answers hasn't got a heart. Anyone who thinks the Democrats have all the answers, hasn't got a brain.

Just my opinion. Lots of times in error, never in doubt.

Watch the judiciary meeting online , very enlightening

gosh guys.. may god help us all ,,,,lets just say that we need to put better people in office and leave it at that....this isn't going to get us anywhere...i will say that i think that the cheap shot at Plaq was uncalled for and in bad form....bp

I get that

But he has mentioned his old man several times here in the forums.

To deny is to lie

Cop kids get a pass wether they know it or not.

We just want everyone treated the same.

We = Humans

Edited by beourbud