1500 watt x 2 LED grow

Kingdiamond

Well after looking at opinions all over the web and here  regarding the advances in LED  panels in  growing  I decided to do a start to finish  grow using  Yehsense  LED  panels  the strains will be Chem Dawg Pre 98 Bubba  Holy grail and Chem Bubba starting from clones will show each stage of growth in pictures to get and give  a solid opinion  of the 1500 watt panels vs a 2x1000 watt HPS  setup .

Thanks to Resto and KD for openly helping our community.   I read some reviews on Amazon, and only one review was negative.

I'm just not ready to make the shift; it's more of an attitude of "ain't broke; don't fix it."  And maybe there is a learning curve with these lights?  maybe not.  It's hard to make a major change in one's grow.  And I'm an old dog, so new tricks aren't my thing.

Good luck KD.  Thanks for the discussion of experience, Resto.

10 hours ago, Highlander said:

Thanks to Resto and KD for openly helping our community.   I read some reviews on Amazon, and only one review was negative.

I'm just not ready to make the shift; it's more of an attitude of "ain't broke; don't fix it."  And maybe there is a learning curve with these lights?  maybe not.  It's hard to make a major change in one's grow.  And I'm an old dog, so new tricks aren't my thing.

Good luck KD.  Thanks for the discussion of experience, Resto.

Plug and play, they work great. Nothing negative to report after using them through two grows now. Have some killer thick and heavy OGKush buds, getting ready to harvest. 

What was broken here was my electric bill and the heat stress in the summer. Fixed the electric bill, the bonus of being able to grow without AC is going to be a godsend.  A couple of my strains don't do well in a hot grow room.

I was talking with a budtender up at Dispo that grows and he was right up against his electrical breakers tripping. With these you can have a lot more light on a circuit. Everyone is going to change to LED, it's just a question of when and which brand. 

3 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

Plug and play, they work great. Nothing negative to report after using them through two grows now. Have some killer thick and heavy OGKush buds, getting ready to harvest. 

What was broken here was my electric bill and the heat stress in the summer. Fixed the electric bill, the bonus of being able to grow without AC is going to be a godsend.  A couple of my strains don't do well in a hot grow room.

I was talking with a budtender up at Dispo that grows and he was right up against his electrical breakers tripping. With these you can have a lot more light on a circuit. Everyone is going to change to LED, it's just a question of when and which brand. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm at a slow spot in my grow right now - only running 2,000w in flower and an 8-bulb T5 in veg.  By next weekend, I'll be down to 1,000w in flower and won't need more light for another month or so.  So I am in a good position to replace lights as I ramp up the grow again.  

Question:  if you didn't want to spend to replace all lights at once, how would you stagger the purchases?  LED for veg first (replacing T5) or flower first.  Do you think it's worth it to replace the T5 in veg?

Thank you

Edited by Highlander
accidentally posted before finished

56 minutes ago, Kingdiamond said:

Already having issues  my pre 98 bubbas are curling up and appear to be wilting what is the correct distance  from panel to the top of the clones Resto?

You don't have the bloom on do you?

I would start out at 3 feet on just grow and gradually move closer as you keep track of them for this first experimental run. Shouldn't be any wilting so be sure to check everything else out. Could be not light related. 

3 hours ago, Highlander said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm at a slow spot in my grow right now - only running 2,000w in flower and an 8-bulb T5 in veg.  By next weekend, I'll be down to 1,000w in flower and won't need more light for another month or so.  So I am in a good position to replace lights as I ramp up the grow again.  

Question:  if you didn't want to spend to replace all lights at once, how would you stagger the purchases?  LED for veg first (replacing T5) or flower first.  Do you think it's worth it to replace the T5 in veg?

Thank you

I would buy a single 1500. Veg and bloom under it in about a 3' x 3' and see how you like it. 

4 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

You don't have the bloom on do you?

I would start out at 3 feet on just grow and gradually move closer as you keep track of them for this first experimental run. Shouldn't be any wilting so be sure to check everything else out. Could be not light related. 

Yeah I had the panels around foot and a half  off and yes  veg switch only they are up to 2 1/2 foot now .

11 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

Yeah I had the panels around foot and a half  off and yes  veg switch only they are up to 2 1/2 foot now .

Must be some little plants. You can let them grow up that close when they get hardy. My Kush that are finishing, some of the tops are within 9 inches of the lights with both switches on. I haven't had any problems with anything being too close, however, I have a PAR meter and have been very careful while I'm learning. 

Would you have put your little ones that close to a your 1000 HPS? These light are serious, not weak.

Edited by Restorium2

Thanks for all the updates.

I thought of purchasing one of these lights, but plan was to shut the flower room down for the summer.

I do have one white widow mother plant that I could flower to experiment with this new light.

After stretch, I would only have about 2' of distance from plant to light. Would this be enough?

16 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Thanks for all the updates.

I thought of purchasing one of these lights, but plan was to shut the flower room down for the summer.

I do have one white widow mother plant that I could flower to experiment with this new light.

After stretch, I would only have about 2' of distance from plant to light. Would this be enough?

My OGKush stretched right up to 9" from the lights with no problems at all.

Maybe your WW doesn't stretch as much under these lights? They tend to be stumpy with a lot of nodes if you veg with these lights. 

9 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

Must be some little plants. You can let them grow up that close when they get hardy. My Kush that are finishing, some of the tops are within 9 inches of the lights with both switches on. I haven't had any problems with anything being too close, however, I have a PAR meter and have been very careful while I'm learning. 

Would you have put your little ones that close to a your 1000 HPS? These light are serious, not weak.

Yeah they are clones  so I guess I underestimated the power they produced so I brought them indoors  and put them  under the fluoros for now to give them time to get  situated in the next sized pots .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Kingdiamond said:

Looking at both rooms which were started on 6-3 the HPS  room buds look much bigger then the  LED  room  buds  i am running both the veg and the bloom switches on the panels  is this possibly messing wit the plants photosynthesis?

You are supposed to use both veg and bloom for blooming.

Same amount of buds on the plants or are there more on the LED plants?

If you have a lot of growth that hasn't been pruned to produce you will get a lot of small buds. 

I've seen better results with lenses over the bulbs. I have tried several kinds, and the ones with lenses have always performed better in the terms of par. Cob's made great colas, but the par was awful. I'm still impressed by my Kush Innovations, which I believe now is Goldleaf. HPS will yield more, but the quality of led is amazing.

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

I've seen better results with lenses over the bulbs. I have tried several kinds, and the ones with lenses have always performed better in the terms of par. Cob's made great colas, but the par was awful. I'm still impressed by my Kush Innovations, which I believe now is Goldleaf. HPS will yield more, but the quality of led is amazing.

These specific lights have better PAR than a 1000 HPS. 

3 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

You are supposed to use both veg and bloom for blooming.

Same amount of buds on the plants or are there more on the LED plants?

If you have a lot of growth that hasn't been pruned to produce you will get a lot of small buds. 

I do see more bud sites on the LED  grow for sure .