Colorado Movie Theater Shooting: Suspect Bought 4 Guns, 6,000 Rounds Of Ammunition In Past 60 Days

AKenewell

By CLAYTON SANDELL (@Clayton_Sandell) , KEVIN DOLAK (@kdolak) and COLLEEN CURRY

AURORA, Colo. July 20, 2012

Suspected Colorado movie theater gunman James Holmes purchased four guns at local shops and more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the Internet in the past 60 days, Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told a news conference this evening.

"All the ammunition he possessed, he possessed legally, all the weapons he possessed, he possessed legally, all the clips he possessed, he possessed legally," an emotional Oates said.

The chief declined to say whether the weapons were automatic or semi-automatic, but "he could have gotten off 50 to 60 rounds, even if it was semi-automatic, within one minute," Oates said.

Authorities have yet to identify the 10 victims who died at the theater. Two other people died at the hospital, including aspiring sportscaster Jessica Ghawi, for a total of 12 dead. Thirty people remained hospitalized, 11 of them critical, Oates said.

A total of 70 people were injured, most of them by gunfire but a "handful" during the ensuing chaos, Oates said. One person was hit in an adjacent theater.

Gov. John Hickenlooper opened the news conference this evening, saying, "We are seeing this community rise up and do the things that communities do.

At times lost for words, he repeatedly praised the efforts of the first responders.

The shooting occurred during a sold-out midnight premiere of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises," when Holmes, 24, allegedly unloaded four weapons' full of ammunition into the unsuspecting crowd.

The number of casualties makes the incident the largest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.co...42#.UAoPH1ETsy4

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: How does an unemployed medical student afford $20,000 in weapons gear?

If you start to look at the really big picture here, the obvious question arises: How does an unemployed medical student afford all the complex weapons gear, bomb-making gear, "flammable" booby trap devices, ammunition, multiple magazines, bullet-proof vest, groin protection, ballistic helmet, SWAT uniform and all the rest of it?

A decent AR-15 rifle costs $1,000 or more all by itself. The shotgun and handgun might run another $800 total. Spare mags, sights, slings, and so on will run you at least another $1,000 across three firearms. The bullet-proof vest is easily another $800, and the cost of the bomb-making gear is anybody's guess. With all the specialty body gear, ammunition, booby-trap devices and more, I'm guessing this is at least $20,000 in weapons and tactical gear, much of which is very difficult for civilians to get in the first place.

A legal citizen, carrying their own weapon would have slowed that way down or completely stopped it.

Colorado has a concealed carry law. I bet someone in that theater was carrying, but they were probably too busy peeing themselves.

Question: How does an unemployed medical student afford $20,000 in weapons gear?

If you start to look at the really big picture here, the obvious question arises: How does an unemployed medical student afford all the complex weapons gear, bomb-making gear, "flammable" booby trap devices, ammunition, multiple magazines, bullet-proof vest, groin protection, ballistic helmet, SWAT uniform and all the rest of it?

A decent AR-15 rifle costs $1,000 or more all by itself. The shotgun and handgun might run another $800 total. Spare mags, sights, slings, and so on will run you at least another $1,000 across three firearms. The bullet-proof vest is easily another $800, and the cost of the bomb-making gear is anybody's guess. With all the specialty body gear, ammunition, booby-trap devices and more, I'm guessing this is at least $20,000 in weapons and tactical gear, much of which is very difficult for civilians to get in the first place.

Credit cards?

Edited by Petyr

OK .. there's the money, maybe. How about access to the equipment?

An FBI sting gone wrong?

Did our own government set this up?

Are you serious? A government set up?

As for your question about how he figured things out and got the equipment, I guess he was considered a pretty bright guy and had access to the internet and a credit card.

The real question is how long until they announce he had a medical marijuana card?

Dr. Bob

As for your question about how he figured things out and got the equipment, I guess he was considered a pretty bright guy and had access to the internet and a credit card.

The real question is how long until they announce he had a medical marijuana card?

Dr. Bob

Never heard of a false flag? Not saying this is one, but I would be far from surprised.

Yes I am very familiar with the term, but you have to have an endgame. Banning guns? Don't think so, we've had other tragedies, and it is a valid point that a CCW could have popped him or at least slowed him down (don't think his legs were protected). You honestly think a politician would sign off on a secret plan to kill a bunch of kids in a movie theater? Without a specific agenda?

Just strikes me as paranoid. But conspiracy theorists have a right to their ideas, and it adds to the discussion.

Dr. Bob

Yes I am very familiar with the term, but you have to have an endgame. Banning guns? Don't think so, we've had other tragedies, and it is a valid point that a CCW could have popped him or at least slowed him down (don't think his legs were protected). You honestly think a politician would sign off on a secret plan to kill a bunch of kids in a movie theater? Without a specific agenda?

Just strikes me as paranoid. But conspiracy theorists have a right to their ideas, and it adds to the discussion.

Dr. Bob

Maybe they thought they needed a new tragedy to add to some of the other ones like Columbine and Jared Loughner. I don't see why wondering if it is a false flag is paranoid. They sign off on killing more people than that every day. You come across so condescending.

Maybe they thought they needed a new tragedy to add to some of the other ones like Columbine and Jared Loughner. I don't see why wondering if it is a false flag is paranoid. They sign off on killing more people than that every day. You come across so condescending.

Puhleeeze! Conspiracies of this magnitude would take too many conspirators to pull off successfully. Any conspiracy with more than two people involved has the chance of being exposed by one of the conspirators increased exponentially with the addition of each new conspirator. For example, if you grow pot your chance of being exposed increases by a factor of 10 for each person who knows about your grow. I am sure it is the same way with conspiracies, UNLESS all the conspirators are members of the Illuminati, the Masons, the Elks Club, the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Church (on second thought, scratch the Catholic Church), or the CIA.

Puhleeeze! Conspiracies of this magnitude would take too many conspirators to pull off successfully. Any conspiracy with more than two people involved has the chance of being exposed by one of the conspirators increased exponentially with the addition of each new conspirator. For example, if you grow pot your chance of being exposed increases by a factor of 10 for each person who knows about your grow. I am sure it is the same way with conspiracies, UNLESS all the conspirators are members of the Illuminati, the Masons, the Elks Club, the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Church (on second thought, scratch the Catholic Church), or the CIA.

I'm sure, you think the intelligence agencies are just like swiss cheese with their knowledge? They don't have protocols for keeping secrets? That's naive in the extreme. That's interesting how you qualified it at the end though. I'm not sure how it all adds up.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Dr. Bob

There have been four cases lately where the FBI ran a sting to encourage and then arrest potential terrorists.

OH .. they even helped the persons with supplies.

Seriously?? You never heard of "fast and furious?" A federal program gone wrong?

Weapons were supplied by our government ..

These people want to hurt US. And our government hands them weapons to do it.

Why? For the headlines.

Edited by peanutbutter

eveer heard of the the kids who were gonna blow up the bridge in ohio? the one where the feds recruited them, fed them the info, incited them, set it all up, every freaking bit of it... then raided them...whats the connection you ask....they only need to remove one step..... they just have to not stop it. and we could have had another huge problem on our hands.... all the fault of the terrorist ( the ones in washington)......now im not saying thats what happened in colo.... im saying its not out of the "scope" of our government.

eveer heard of the the kids who were gonna blow up the bridge in ohio? the one where the feds recruited them, fed them the info, incited them, set it all up, every freaking bit of it... then raided them...whats the connection you ask....they only need to remove one step..... they just have to not stop it. and we could have had another huge problem on our hands.... all the fault of the terrorist ( the ones in washington)......now im not saying thats what happened in colo.... im saying its not out of the "scope" of our government.

Or maybe the feds wait at the wrong theater. I bet Batman was showing in more than one location.

Observe the interactions involving large numbers of weapons supplied by our government to the drug cartels and our congress ..

It's real. And there's coverup ..

Does that qualify as a "massive conspiracy?"

They need two more senators to ratify the international gun treaty. I am not saying this event is staged, but to think there is no chance of this being a false flag is a very history ignorant view. Never underestimate those pushing an agenda. There are hundreds of similar events used throughout history to sway opinion. Nero used a false flag event nearly 2000 years ago to go after Christians. Hitler used many. The fast and furious, poisoning of thousands during prohibition, the hutaree, the first world trade center bombing, crack cocaine, cocaine importing, Mumbia attacks, Syphilis Tests in Guatemala, underwear bomber, eugenics program forced sterilization, and MKultra are just a few we can thank our government for their involvement in. Most of those are not false flags, but still...

If there is a conspiracy, we will see more evidence surface or will see him prosecuted abnormally.

Edited by thanks2