Reported- Dogs Suffering 'toxic Poisoning' After Eating Cannabis Found In Park. Uk

LongHairBri

Four dogs have suffered "toxic poisoning" after eating cannabis during walks with their owners near a Greater Manchester reservoir.

Neil Rogers said his dog fell ill after eating something on a path near Dove Stone Reservoir, Saddleworth.

"Patch was just totally out of it," Mr Rogers said.

Vets who treated the seriously ill dogs said they had made full recoveries. Police have warned owners to report suspicious packages.

Mr Rogers said: "When I got home he just collapsed and couldn't do anything, I realised he had eaten something."

He said the dog had been eating something which looked like "fat seed balls you hang out in the garden for the birds".

He added that he had taken his dog to the vet, who treated Patch for "toxic poisoning [as they] didn't know exactly what they were treating him for at the time".

'Dilated pupils'

Following the treatment, Mr Rogers returned to the area to collect some of the substance and took it to police. It was later confirmed to be cannabis.

Veterinary surgeon Lorna Cook, who treated two of the dogs, said: "I haven't seen anything like this before.

"We had two dogs with similar signs in quick succession so we knew there was something suspicious. Both dogs collapsed and had dilated pupils," she said.

She said anyone who sees their dog ingest something unusual should contact a vet immediately.

She added that the cannabis would "hopefully not" cause long-term damage to the dogs' health and that they should be "back to normal now the drug is out of their system".

A spokeswoman for the canine charity Dogs Trust said cannabis was "poisonous to dogs", even in small amounts which would have little effect on humans.

Greater Manchester Police said people should exercise caution while walking their dogs in the area near the reservoir and report any suspicious packages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20944439

Thank you

Well that IS anecdotal. Not a study, so no controlled research methods. But I think that if it were me I would err on the side of caution if something seems toxic. There was a thread on here a few days ago regarding giving cannabis to your dog. I would urge caution given the fact that we don't have strong evidence that it is safe. While it may be safe for humans so is chocolate, but chocolate is toxic to dogs.

I wondered why he let his dog keep eating an unknown substance. It seems like you would stop the dog after the first one if you didn't know what it was.

He must have eaten quite a bit to have that reaction. I have an old pharmacy book somewhere that talks about testing cannabis tincture on dogs and I believe it gives dosage by weight. (I'll try to find it and give a reference)

Here is a paper on medical cannabis use in dogs, unfortunately the dosage information has been redacted for legal reasons.

Medical Marijuana for Dogs: A Scientific Review

I am wondering how this vet knows that Cannabis is poisonous to Cannine when there is

so little research done with humans and Cannabis.. where is the research on animals to

prove this?

I hear ya, my dog comes running when i lite one up, she gets peed off when i dont share with her!

Peace

Jim

Here is the reference I was thinking of in my earlier post.

The Dispensatory of the USA, 20th Edition (1918)

CANNABIS. U. S. (Br.)

CANNABIS Cannab. [indian Hemp Cannabis Indica U. S. VIII,Guaza, Ganjah]

"The dried flowering tops of the pistillate plants of Cannabis sativa

Linne, or of the variety indica Lamarck (Fam. Moraceae), freed from the

thicker stems and large foliage leaves and without the presence or

admixture of more than 10 per cent. of fruits or other foreign matter.

Cannabis, made into a fluidextract in which one hundred mils

represent one hundred grammes of the drug, when assayed biologically,

produces incoordination when administered to dogs in a dose of not

more than 0.03 mil of fiuidextract per kilogramme of body weight."

I looked at a vets report from CA.

Dogs come in wobbly and puking. They are stoned .. completely blasted.

As humans when we eat to many brownies, we just go to sleep and let it wear off. Done.

This vet insisted in stuffing charcoal into the dogs and giving them IV's and all kinds of crap. Then notes that the next day the dogs would seem fine.

The dogs would also seem fine the next day without the vet.

Just let them sleep it off.

Yeah .. some dogs LOVE to get completely blasted.

Just be careful. Even a bit of leftover duff from your vaporizer can make them all 'wobbly'. A dog doesn't know enough to adjust what they eat, they depend on you to do it for them. Dogs don't LOVE to get blasted. They love their owner and want to do what you do, just like a child. A mistake is one thing, but watching your child get blasted should make you feel bad, it's wrong. If it's not a medical use, like blowing smoke at a sick dog to help them with pain or nausia, then it's pet abuse.

dont forget chocolate is poison to dogs too.. funny thing no one ever told my dogs that, they all eat and love chocolate... then agian i dont give them a whole candy bar .. and i wouldnt let my dog eat a whole bag either.. and ya she likes to eat trim when she can.. little bits.. here and there..

• 4 weeks later...

My Little Buddy was a very sick dog. He passed away from cushings disease. he was six years old and my first puppy.I gave him supraglan drops for dogs with cushings. I also gave him oil. his last days were better on oil. ya we did over medicate him a time or two but he was over all feeling better for months then we went on vacation for 2 weeks and I didn't feel comfortable having my dog sitter medicate him so he went without oil for the whole 2 weeks. when I returned you could see with out oil buddy was not doing well and we had a talk when he was ready to go he would let me know by not eating. his last days I fed him venson burger and rice and the second day back he refused to eat. so we went to the vet. So you tell me was this ethical or should have I put him asleep without the oil. the good news is my mother in law is doing well on oil her cancer is now going into remission and SHE LIVES. THE BUMMER IS SHE TOOK MY WIFE TO FLORIDA WITH HER. after coming here to Michigan to die 8 months ago

The wagon train chicken treats are dog crack my current dogs would got batshit over them they ate them for 6 years up until they were removed from the shelves out of concern i had blood workups done on both dogs they are both healthy as horses no ill effects from the tainted treats they devoured and loved for years.

My very first pitbull Spartacus (Gus) ate candy junk food drank pop beer and ate things most dog don't and lived to the ripe old age of 18 and chocolate is toxic in dogs only if they eat a ridiculous amount like 1/3rd of their weight this fact coming from my vet of 10 years here in wayne county .

moral of story, " If you want to run with the big dogs peeing in the tall grass, got to get that leg a little higher !" Treated mine with oil for two years while she was in the end of her calender, dealing with cancer. 18 years of age when she passed....positive disposition till she made her transition.