Supreme Court Ruling - McQueen - Compassionate Apothacary

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree

Their is no money for the Lawyers if we do it that way just MHO

So now you want to justify dealing in public because it pays for attorneys? Then why did you ask for money here for your attorney? And why did I give my donation to your defense fund? My 'minding my own business in private' money is paying for some of your defense Bob. Just like it helped a dying cancer patient. You don't see it much because it happens IN PRIVATE.

Bob, I hope you get your charges dismissed Wednesday, because another month or several months of this pity party and no one is going to care. You better change your attitude bro. A lot of people have donated on your behalf over the years, hell I even slapped 20 bucks in you hand so you could get home from Saginaw. Lawyers working for you basically pro=bono andyou have the nerve to question...

I disagree

Their is no money for the Lawyers if we do it that way just MHO

The lawyers? What do lawyers have to do with this?

People that argue that marijuana is somehow big business for lawyers just don't see the big picture. Prosecuting marijuana cases is an opportunity cost for prosecutors. In other words, there are other things that fall by the wayside to make room for these prosecutions. Prosecutor offices have limited resources. If mj were to be fully legalized today, that doesn't mean that there would be a boatload of prosecutors and defense attorneys out of work. It just means the prosecutors would shift their attentions elsewhere. They have prosecutorial discretion. They would simply pick up any free time with other cases.

Legalizing marijuana is not going to affect lawyers much. Well, maybe some for whom medical marijuana is the bread and butter of their practices--but that isn't many. Even those lawyers would simply end up taking other criminal cases.

Transfers are not protected by section 4 unless it is between a caregiver and their assigned patient.

Any transfers outside of this caregiver patient relationship, do not have section 4 protections. Whether or not money changed hands during this transfer is immaterial, according to the court.

The money makes no difference to the courts.

The money part is still very important to some people .. but not the courts.

I thought the ruling was quite blunt about it. A transfer is a transfer. It doesn't matter if money is involved or not.

To further expound, I will discuss why you are wrong. You have this annoying little habit of parsing language in an effort to force a round peg into a square hole.

The court indeed told us that sales are included within the term "transfer" contained in the defintion of medical use. It then went on to tell us that the medical use must be in accordance with the act. In other words, the analysis doesn't stop at whether an activity is considered medical use. That activity must also remain within the other requirements elsewhere in the act. The court noted that compensation is allowed for the connected cg. THAT is what keeps sales "in accordance with the act." The fact that sales are explicitly mentioned for connected cgs and no one else means, per standard rules of statutory construction, that they are not necessarily allowed for others. Why? Because statutory languange that explicitly includes one group is interpreted to exclude others unless there is language that makes it clear that the intent was to allow for others. Frankly, the court didn't address compensation for others because it decided that others cannot transfer anyway. But it very clearly laid the foundation that can be used to interpret whether sales can be conducted among other parties. That's the long and short of it. I could go into more detail here regarding the court's reasoning but there is no point.

Transfers are not protected by section 4 unless it is between a caregiver and their assigned patient.

Any transfers outside of this caregiver patient relationship, do not have section 4 protections. Whether or not money changed hands during this transfer is immaterial, according to the court.

That's not true. A PT is still protected in any transfer as long as they are on the receiving end of the transfer. The person giving the MMJ is not protected, but the recipient is, if they are a registered PT.

A patient doesn't have to say where they got it. So private transfers are very safe if you know the patient is not a cop. No witnesses that could be confidential informants. That leaves public sales at stores flat out in the cold, and privacy rules.

Are you promoting people to become involved in known criminal acts?

Scratch the question mark. You are actively promoting people to commit criminal acts. FELONIES!!!

I guess safely legal only applies when someone else is posting.

Edited by peanutbutter

That's not true. A PT is still protected in any transfer as long as they are on the receiving end of the transfer. The person giving the MMJ is not protected, but the recipient is, if they are a registered PT.

According to the amount of questions and comments I've gotten here, at other internet sites and on the telephone, I think it's probably important that we get everyone to understand this completely.

It is true that money changing hands is irrelevant. But yes, you are correct, a pt is protected by S4 if they only receive.

Or so it would seem...

It's all about bob.

After 7000 posts......who cares

"I CARE!" You may be tired of hearing it, but the man was wronged by this state and he needs and deserves our support. Have you any idea what this family has been through? I find your statement to be cruel and uncaring. Why are you here? Where is your compassion? What if it were you, would you just sit back quietly and take your lumps even if you were the one on the right side of our law?

Chill man, have a little compassion for your brothers and sisters. Peace and Love.

"I CARE!" You may be tired of hearing it, but the man was wronged by this state and he needs and deserves our support. Have you any idea what this family has been through? I find your statement to be cruel and uncaring. Why are you here? Where is your compassion? What if it were you, would you just sit back quietly and take your lumps even if you were the one on the right side of our law?

Chill man, have a little compassion for your brothers and sisters. Peace and Love.

I also care, and will be at Bob's hearing on Wednesday.

I'll be there too . Honestly , I find comments such as "get on with your life" , "sucks to be you" , and so forth from the more Holy than Thou armchair could of , should of , would of's very distasteful . Keep on pushin' Brother Bob and thanks for stickin' to yer guns !