What Is It With Mites, Anyway?

When I medicate, I think a lot. I just read a post that mentioned mites and it got me thinking in that direction. So I'm wondering about something... I've read a lot of posts on here about folks losing their entire crops to mites, or having to burn all their plants and start over. These are experienced growers who did everything and tried every product but still couldn't get rid of the mites. I started growing almost two years ago and have always had mites. I've only used azamax and neem to control them. As long as I keep up on spraying, they stay under control. What I'm wondering is what makes the difference? How is it that they can get out of control with some people and not others when both are regularly spraying? Or is it that people stop spraying, they get out of control, and then it's impossible to get rid of them? Is there a genetic change with the mites in any one person's grow that causes them to become immune from all sprays? Is my time coming?  :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most who have them grow in converted rooms of their homes with lots of hiding places for the mites to hide from eradication methods.

I have scrubbed my grow area with stinging hot bleach water and painted the entire floor walls and ceiling  of the flower room yet still they show up around week 5 of flower .

When I medicate, I think a lot. I just read a post that mentioned mites and it got me thinking in that direction. So I'm wondering about something... I've read a lot of posts on here about folks losing their entire crops to mites, or having to burn all their plants and start over. These are experienced growers who did everything and tried every product but still couldn't get rid of the mites. I started growing almost two years ago and have always had mites. I've only used azamax and neem to control them. As long as I keep up on spraying, they stay under control. What I'm wondering is what makes the difference? How is it that they can get out of control with some people and not others when both are regularly spraying? Or is it that people stop spraying, they get out of control, and then it's impossible to get rid of them? Is there a genetic change with the mites in any one person's grow that causes them to become immune from all sprays? Is my time coming? :o

I did 4 sprsys with mighty wash (people can say it dont work) did 4 sprays 3 days apart haven't seen another one yet and my girls look alot better

Im in the middle of what k.d just said he did, I scrubbed and bleached my area, im painting my walls and floors with a 2 part epoxy (to make it easier to scrub next time lol)  what I have found on my plants in budd, is I dont get no where near the amount im supposed to get while controling the mites, and Im not doing a large grow so  when I crop I would realy like it to be any where from 6 to 8 zips, Id be happy with 5, but I dont get no where near that while controling the mites, and since im just growing enough for me and my pt/lady I can start over, what is taking me so long is this is shrink wrapping boat time. so im not able to do to much when im over in houghton lake all day and dead tired when I get home lol. it sux getting old!

letterhead id be willing to bet you would crop more if you didnt have any, but like said most have them and control them, me and my c.g got hit pretty hard in the spring, along with floods lol, I gotta laugh or I might cry!  usualy we have each other to back each other up, but we both got hit at same time, (my clones came from him so its his fault lmao) plus we need to stay out of each others rooms, you can bring em in your room from your friends room. you would never of thought my c.g had any when i took the clones last time, so im thinking they came home on my clothes the next time I seen him or vise versa!

This to shall pass!

Peace

Avid.

The only time I had a recurring infestation it was from my dog. I no longer my dog near the grow room. It's important to treat your houseplants also when you treat your grow room. Either that or get rid of the houseplants completely.

My dog would always be in my room til I got mites I got rid of them and the dog is not allowed in there no more

We got the little ba5tards in '11, it took a few things IMHO..

First- don't always use the same products,use 3 diffrent,3 days apart..

We did neem&dawn,3 days ltr,Azamax,3days ltr,Liquid LadyDug,3 days ltr,Straight water..

Second-if you have carpet in any of your grow rooms its gotta go-perfect hiding spot!!

Also you HAVE to clean every light, ballast,grow tray,every thing!Even the radio that plays all

day.. a good concentrated Bleach&Dawn Water for everything!!! If your unsure wash it Again & Again!!

Third- You have to have RULES-- No pets,No new ppl,No mowing the lawn or working in the garden & going in there.. if you have to mow or garden,shower after you strip @ the door,& wait till the next day to enter.. Its not a huge change but it works for me@ my wife,were on the same page when it comes to grow ediquette..

GoodLuck!

Oh a few after thoughts-

Have a closet or somewhere AWAY from your primary grow to put clones from a C/G or friend,use dish washing gloves to tend these plants & wash like u got the plague afterward.

If you can trim all the affected leaves off the VEG plants to make them as small as possable before step 2 this helps to make sure you got all the plant top&bottom of the leaves.

Whitch brings me to.. its a hell of a lot easier if you can dunk the whole plant into one of your solutions..

MITES are terrible! And I wish you the best of luck! They can be beat but it takes the every three day plan and u gotta stick to it to win the battle!

Thanks,

Random

I did 4 sprsys with mighty wash (people can say it dont work) did 4 sprays 3 days apart haven't seen another one yet and my girls look alot better

How much time has elapsed since your last application?  Would you post your current situation 4 - 6 weeks after your last app?  I'm just curious as I have heard both how well and not so well that it works.  Thanks

How much time has elapsed since your last application? Would you post your current situation 4 - 6 weeks after your last app? I'm just curious as I have heard both how well and not so well that it works. Thanks

Its been 2 weeks since last spray. After my first spray though I never seen them again you really got to soak them down. Bottoms of the leafs then the tops but you want it dripping wet and when I put them back in my room I turned the fan off for about 3 hours.

About mite control. Try an Amazon website search for Pure Spray Green. Check out the reviews. Pure Spray is an OMRI rated organic light horticultural oil. It is cheap. It works on both live bugs and eggs. It kills them dead when properly applied. It is safe for use up to the day of harvest.

Lots of stuff some have suggested in other threads are pretty nasty. Floramite is a good example of something that kill mites but also has systemic issues for humans.

Edited by outsideinthecold

While Avid is an effective miticide it has some issues to consider when using it on mmj.

Try a web search for Avid Use on Marijuana.

Here is one example.

http://boards.cannabis.com/plant-problems/172310-avid-spidermite-insecticide.html

Yes, it is a systemic poison that stays with the plant for 6 to 8 weeks.  That's why I always tell people to wait a few weeks before putting their plants into flower after applying it to vegging plants.  You never, ever, ever want to put it on flowering plants.

While Avid is an effective miticide it has some issues to consider when using it on mmj.

Try a web search for Avid Use on Marijuana.

Here is one example.

http://boards.cannabis.com/plant-problems/172310-avid-spidermite-insecticide.html

One random post by one random poster on one random pot board means absolutely nothing.  Avid/Floramite does has some issues, but causing AIDS as the above post states, is not one of them.

I wouldn't change a thing curious of the price for some thing I'm hearing might not be good for the plants..looking into research doesn't mean I would change what works for me.. I'm 6 weeks in veg and my girls are growing daily and are very green and bushy. I owe it all to this site for the info they put out here... ive been using my pro mix and dyna grow for my nutes and just try to keep doing what the plants like and ive had great success to the day.. my plants have grown 8 in.in 6 weeks...

Were can avid be bought? Show me a web site celli were this can be bought ive done research and not sure.. what I have been using is organic and working great

There are people on eBay that sell it by the ounce as it normally comes in a liter bottle that costs a lot (around $1205-150)  An ounce usually cost around $20.  You only need a few drops to treat your plants and grow room so an ounce will last a loooong time.

Another product you can use is Forbid.  It has the same issues as Avid.

Use forbid f4 if your going to use any of the miticides, there are enough avid and floramite resistant mites running around, pray you do not get them. Which brings me to why some people can get rid of them with azamax and mighty wash and some can spray death on there plants and they may dwindle in numbers but come back tanking. These are commercial pesticides for commercial gardens.

I last saw a mite 2 years ago. I sprayed with Azamax 3 times in 3 weeks and never saw them again. I haven't introduced any new plants into the area since then.

And then I got fungus gnats from some cheap, on-sale peat. I have only been able to keep them in check. I have tried everything but have been unable to eradicate them. They are tough little buggers.