Michigan Governor Signs “Pharmaceutical Grade” Medical Marijuana Law

LANSING, MI — Michigan Governor Rick Snyder signed into law Senate Bill 660 on Monday, which creates a new “pharmaceutical grade” marijuana program to run in conjunction with the state’s existing medical marijuana program.

The law reclassifies marijuana at the state level to a Schedule II status, but will only take effect if the United States follows suit and reschedules cannabis at the federal level.  Marijuana is currently classified as a Schedule I drug at the federal level.

Senate Bill 660, which is now Public Act 268 of 2013, was introduced late October by Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville, and quickly passed through the House and Senate.

The law allows “pharmaceutical grade” marijuana to be distributed through licensed pharmacies in the state, controlled in a manner similar to drugs such as OxyContin or Percocet.  The law requires strict laboratory testing for quality and dosage standards.

The bill was supported by Chuck Perricone, who represents Prairie Plant Systems, a Canadian company that grows and sells pharmaceutical cannabis.

The bill is opposed by many medical marijuana patients and activists who support the Michigan medical marijuana program, which has seen many changes since first passed by voters in 2008 and fear that with the passage of this law, Big Pharma may be trying to overtake the state’s medical marijuana program.

Some lawmakers in opposition to the pending bill said that legislators should focus on fixing Michigan’s medical marijuana program, which has seen dispensaries come and go, while operating in a grey area of legal limbo.

“Why are we spending taxpayer time and resources for an out-of-state corporate constituent who may or may not come to the state,” said Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D-East Lansing) at a hearing on the bill last year. “And we’re not doing squat for anything to help current constituents who cannot access medical marijuana.”

The new law does not change the state’s current medical marijuana program, but instead it will, once implemented, supplement it as a separate, stand-alone industry.

Some lawmakers in the legislature, however, view the new law as an opportunity to replace the state’s medical marijuana program.

Sen. Rick Jones (R-Grand Ledge) said he hopes the law will begin the process of getting marijuana cultivation out of homes and into the hands of pharmaceutical companies, vocalizing the fears of many within the medical marijuana community.

“It’s time to get marijuana out of houses and put it somewhere else,” Sen. Jones said last fall. “Let the pharmaceutical companies grow it and sell it in pharmacies.”

Additional legislation would be needed to eliminate the current medical marijuana program in the state.

Patients and caregivers enrolled in the state’s medical marijuana program, enacted by voters in 2008, would still be allowed to grow and possess medical marijuana under current state law.

Those patients who would prefer the “pharmaceutical grade” medical marijuana in the newly passed law, once enacted, will have to surrender their existing medical marijuana cards and would no longer be allowed to grow their own medical marijuana in order to be enrolled in the pharmaceutical prorgam.

Under the proposed system of “pharmaceutical grade” medical marijuana, the Michigan Department of Community Health would be responsible for licensing, registering and inspecting facilities growing or manufacturing  medical marijuana.

Anyone wishing to manufacture, distribute, prescribe or dispense marijuana would have to obtain a license from the Michigan Board of Pharmacy, as is currently required for other Schedule II controlled substances.

The signing of the  bill into law was part of a number of bill signings by Governor Snyder on Monday, as 2013 came to a close.

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014/26917/michigan-governor-signs-pharmaceutical-grade-medical-marijuana-law/

Sen. Rick Jones (R-Grand Ledge) said he hopes the law will begin the process of getting marijuana cultivation out of homes and into the hands of pharmaceutical companies, vocalizing the fears of many within the medical marijuana community.

“It’s time to get marijuana out of houses and put it somewhere else,” Sen. Jones said last fall. “Let the pharmaceutical companies grow it and sell it in pharmacies.”

And so it begins . . .

Jones-Strikes-Again.jpg

When the feds finally passes a bill, you know it will be so full of all sorts of to's and fro's that this bill will mean nothing.

I am putting together a new edition of my cookbook so it can be given to lawmakers in support of medible, it may make a difference. I just paid for someone to produce me an eye-catching cover. 

Edited by Ms Chocolate

Why is this done and 4271 and the medibles bill still not signed?

We must have forgotten to give the politicians free trips and promises of kickbacks like Prairie Plants did.

Plus from the law enforcement perspective, growing your own will be illegal and they can still arrest all those who can't afford the government approved prices.

A win/win for all the folks the government cares about. :)

Edited by Wild Bill

Because SB 660 was a senate bill that passed the Senate, and when it went to the house, they took up the 'medibles' and "Provisioning center" bills with SB660.   SB 660 and the other bills passed the house.  SB 660 then went to the governor, and the other bills go the Senate.

*shrug*

We must of forgotten to give the politicians free trips and promises of kickbacks like Prairie Plants did.

Plus from the law enforcement perspective, growing your own will be illegal and they can still arrest all those who can't afford the government approved prices.

A win/win for all the folks the government cares about. :)

Step one in the process to eliminate the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. This must give these lawmakers a warm fuzzy feeling.

The race is on. Who is going to win? The prohibitionists or legalization? Either way, home growers are going to lose.

The other two bills will never see a vote in the senate they will be left on the vine to shrivel and die or be changed so drastically that

you won't even recognize them good ole bait and switch by the senate you vote on our deal with the devil bill 660 aka 666 senator 

Jones bill and we will vote and pass your two bills from the house ya right .

ISSUING A CARD TO AN ELIGIBLE PATIENT UNDER THIS SECTION, THE21  DEPARTMENT SHALL DETERMINE WHETHER THE INDIVIDUAL HAS PREVIOUSLY22  BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY VIOLATION FOR ILLEGALLY MANUFACTURING,23  CREATING, DISTRIBUTING, POSSESSING, OR USING A CONTROLLED24  SUBSTANCE OR CONSPIRING OR ATTEMPTING TO MANUFACTURE, CREATE,25  DISTRIBUTE, POSSESS, OR USE A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE IN THIS STATE26  OR ELSEWHERE. IF THE INDIVIDUAL HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN CONVICTED OF27  A FELONY VIOLATION FOR ILLEGALLY MANUFACTURING, CREATING,

S02207'13 (H-1) TVD

1  DISTRIBUTING, POSSESSING, OR USING A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE OR 2  CONSPIRING OR ATTEMPTING TO MANUFACTURE, CREATE, DISTRIBUTE, 3  POSSESS, OR USE A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE IN THIS STATE OR 4  ELSEWHERE, THE DEPARTMENT SHALL NOT ISSUE A REGISTRATION CARD TO 5  THAT INDIVIDUAL.

​i don't see how  this new Law will effect anyone that now has a State card ?

don't see how  this new Law will effect anyone that now has a State card ?

They'll decide that home grows aren't safe because the government has no way of knowing how much mold or bugs is contained in any given sample. So they will be outlawed "for the protection of the patient". (or maybe "for the children")

If they continue to let people grow for themselves the government won't be able to get a monetary cut like they would from retail sales. The same reason you can't distill your own liquor.

Then we will only be able to buy "safe" irradiated schwag from Prairie Plant Systems or some other government approved facility for whatever they feel like charging us, plus sales tax of course.

If you are caught growing you will be arrested just like in the good old days. For your own safety.

The poor sick patients get safe government controlled medicine from the pharmacy and the prison industrial complex continues on like normal. (I hope I'm wrong but I'd be willing to bet the farm on this one.)

Edited by Wild Bill

this article is interesting.

http://thecompassionchronicles.com/2013/12/16/sb-660-did-the-governor-spoil-the-prairie-plant-party/

the ammended bill now says the feds have to reschedule all marihuana before it can take effect.

i guess 2014 we'll see if npra paid off everyone correctly or if they will fail like prarie plant systems did.

i think the writing on the wall is 'pay to the nerd fund or get screwed in the last minute'.

They'll decide that home grows aren't safe because the government has no way of knowing how much mold or bugs is contained in any given sample. So they will be outlawed "for the protection of the patient". (or maybe "for the children")

If they continue to let people grow for themselves the government won't be able to get a monetary cut like they would from retail sales. The same reason you can't distill your own liquor.

Then we will only be able to buy "safe" irradiated schwag from Prairie Plant Systems or some other government approved facility for whatever they feel like charging us, plus sales tax of course.

If you are caught growing you will be arrested just like in the good old days. For your own safety.

The poor sick patients get safe government controlled medicine from the pharmacy and the prison industrial complex continues on like normal. (I hope I'm wrong but I'd be willing to bet the farm on this one.)

If you are caught growing cannabis you will get arrested ? just like it is today 

i do agree theirs  something going on with this  new Law and with their plan to stop people from growing 

Thanks

But it does say DEPARTMENT SHALL DETERMINE WHETHER THE INDIVIDUAL HAS PREVIOUSLY

BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY ? Then anyone with a felony won't be able to get this card ?

Ya, but that never stopped it in the past, like we won't do it again?  It'll be a cold day in hell......

Like there wouldn't be riots over them taking away something we already have.  It's gonna happen with or without their "consent".  Places like Colorado and Washington will ensure it happens.  The dominos have started to fall, it's inevitable.  Not like we can give up the fight but there is too much momentum and once the #'s come in they'll find they can make more with less "outsourcing" (cops) to do the job.  As much as I don't like it the money will make it happen.  We're too broke as a country for it not to.  Unfortunately the country had to crash to get to this but...

I didn't realize 660 started in the senate, what a crock of bunny muffin...

I also think public sentiment is being wakened.  People are staring to realize both sides are in cahoots and once the science gets further on what use cannabis really has the curtain will come down.

Edited by Norby

Let's see if the Canadians riot on April 1st when they lose their right to grow their own medicine.  Like here, most patients are sick, disabled, and/or poor - not your typical hooligans.

Many will defy the law and continue to grow cannabis.  You will see the Canadian press put out all sorts of stories pushing the Canadian government's point of view.  There will be stories of good people going to prison and most patients will stop growing at home.  Unless they have little to lose, which is the case for some, the risk is too great.

Let's see if the Canadians riot on April 1st when they lose their right to grow their own medicine.  Like here, most patients are sick, disabled, and/or poor - not your typical hooligans.

Many will defy the law and continue to grow cannabis.  You will see the Canadian press put out all sorts of stories pushing the Canadian government's point of view.  There will be stories of good people going to prison and most patients will stop growing at home.  Unless they have little to lose, which is the case for some, the risk is too great.

I would love nothing more than to participate in a good old fashioned civil insurrection but I get out of breath just walking into the bedroom. :sick:

Cannabis will eventually be legal, but as many have been asking for, "taxed and regulated like alcohol".

While small home grows may still be allowed like brewing your own beer as a hobby. (We all know they would be impossible to eradicate anyway) I don't see that they will make room for small commercial enterprises.

Sell your overage to a dispensary? Sure, just make sure that you have your licenses and have paid all applicable fees and keep your product "up to accepted standards", like growing only government approved varieties, all plants being bar coded and tracked from seed to harvest, kept under 24 hr. video surveillance, inspected regularly, grown and stored in a properly zoned and approved facility then irradiated to protect the patient.

There's room here for everyone. Almost.

". . . the law will begin the process of getting marijuana cultivation out of homes and into the hands of pharmaceutical companies." - Sen. Rick Jones

its like saying you can sell 'your overages' of homemade wine to napa valley so they can bottle it.

nope dont think it works that way.

Sure won't some still can't see it most think i'll just grow extra plants to make a lot of $$$ i don't like saying it but they are after all home growing and after all the  Marihuana that they can fine

When the feds finally passes a bill, you know it will be so full of all sorts of to's and fro's that this bill will mean nothing.

I am putting together a new edition of my cookbook so it can be given to lawmakers in support of medible, it may make a difference. I just paid for someone to produce me an eye-catching cover. 

good for you ms c.  education enlightens.

Edited by pic book