Any Give An Octopot A Try?

Isn't this basically the same as a $3 fabric pot sitting on a $2 net pot resting on a $10 Rubbermaid tub?

Global-Garden-Friends-Oystershell-Garden

yes, good luck with the diy. I was tempted, but too old and impatient now to fart around with leaking tuppersware looking monsters in my room. Part of what these did for me was to streamline my room.

Highlander;

Yes, I agree. root rot was my #1 concern. The wicking I already know works, and the I also knew that if the manu lied about root rot that I could easily add air and avoid it. He didn't lie so far, but I added air anyways. I wanted nothing to do with homemade or hybrid systems, just stupid simple vacation taking time is all, and I got it! Your air supply is hotter than mine for the awesome pump you keep. Mine barely is noticeable and can service 10 of these I think. We're talking about 77 degrees instead of 75 compared to no air stone is all. I monitored temps in the units for a week or so and saw the same as ambient room temps so stopped monitoring. a hot room would make a hot res, would make a failed root.....remember my ac unit runs all year.

semicaregiver;

I don't know what to suggest. I followed directions is all, and used dirt. I don't like coco, and if the system relied on it I would have passed it up. I've got no issue with a promix/ happy frog, eyeballed at 70/30 respectively. The first octo was fertilized the same way as all the other plants in the room, a 1/4 cup botanicare at flower initiation, and another 1/4 cup 30 days in, mixed gently in the surface. The dirt is moist most all the way up and the fertilizing efforts are obviously dissolving slowly like they should, unlike pouring water over them daily maybe. I got a rabbit turd program too that matches the results but turds are not always available all winter. I composted a wheelbarrow of them so I have plenty till spring. I may add a bunny inside the building for the fert production, since I know they will survive on cannabis trim alone. (did that for the true organic experience.) who knows whats really in organic botanicare right?

I would bet a half ounce that basal salt ferts in this res would inspire algae growth, and eventually turn anaerobic unless air was used. If I had to use salts I'd just go back to the flood and drain trays that worked well. res changes sucked, mopping sucked, meters suck. other than that it was a blast!

I dont know if you remember but you had an issue with this site when  you got here, I talked you into staying and giving it a chance, Im kinda regretting that now, You kinda of remind me of a bad penny, it just keeps coming back  and causing problems!

no doubt you have your followers here now, but do they no how much you copy and paiste and spend online reading about all you write about, some lil fella hiding in his lil room behind a laptop screen or what ever you use, I know your a good reader and copy and paiste, but when it comes down to a personal level, you dont care to share anything with any one if it means some one finds out about you and  how you realy live!

Peace

you don't have to read my posts if they offend you, theres a blocker you can choose.

Yep, you caught me, I have a desire to read and learn. when I do find interesting bits I even share. If I shared with my own words sometimes many here have chosen to argue the info till the end, missing all of the positive, getting time outs, censored posts, all just to defend my take on what I learned. News articles are pasted here daily, and I do that to. I don't understand much of what goes on in the garden, but I do know of somethings well enough to speak of. When I don't though, its just quicker to find the info, like a dictionary, to describe what the point is.

I am handicapped, sorry I don't get out much, please don't hold that against me. I've never spent a minute in jail, never put anyone in the hospital, never stole from friends, never addicted to drugs, never hit my wife, or even yelled at her. I'm not such a bad guy really. I've shared thousands of words here for reading pleasure. I don't want/need "followers". Not here to make friends either. I don't advertise for patients, or sell weed from a website either.

I participate for a few reasons, none of which are to gain favor from others.

I first seek others who tissue culture, like to stay informed on court outcomes, share some of my experiences. that's it. I do just that. I always stay on he look out for some gem of info growers and patients have to offer, in the garden, the businesses, and even from out of staters. I'f my words are challenged and I don't have the finesse to explain its easier to let an article do it for me. no harm no foul. some posters no wishing to hear of my experience, or participate in my challenges should block my posts, rather than aim to defame.

you are correct sir, privacy is important to me. I see posters here who use real names often, I cringe. its not a self reveal ever, but another poster using real names of others. I wont risk that here. I don't need to belong to a club, or party at a campground either. I don't drink, and see only a handful of people yearly at my home. so what of it? I'm a gimp, at a computer, who has some strange garden experience sharing occasionally. so what?

it was, afterall reading that got me into growing, culturing, blogging here even. reading is fun. I have a minimum amount of words I read daily, books and net, and try to learn three new ones every day. Most of the people I knew in my life are dead. by a gun, a needle, prison, or life itself. I maintain my solace with my wife on our little slice of earth, and cant apologize for being cautious online. so, not posting a photo of a growing marijuana plant makes me the way you see me? cool, we can carry on as posters.

peace out.

on the other side of the spectrum we see you post pics of your bikini clad wife right here on the forums. that's cool really. if she is aware and doesn't mind, why would I care. I can understand, while you are freely using your full name, giving your home grow location, and inviting us strangers to your home, why you would be suspicious of a person who was private with their personal information. its cool bro. carry on right

Edited by grassmatch

I'm intrigued by the octopot storey. But I tend to wonder if there is an easier and less expensive route to the same end?

Thinking of my own current method...I run DWC in 5-gallon buckets networked together with 1-inch fittings. The bucket costs about $3, the lid $1, and two "drain bottom" fittings (as they call them) at about $1.50 each. So that's about $7 per plant site.

For about a dollar each (if bought in volume....see the link below). you can get 10" net pot lids to fit on a 3 or 5 gallon bucket.

So I'm thinking I could take the 10-inch net pot set in a five-gallon pail and spend five minutes with a sewing machine and $1 in burlap to make a two-gallon or so bag that would nestle into the net pot. Seems like this would be similar to the octopot? At 1/4 the cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Pack-10-Mesh-Net-Pot-Lid-for-5-3-GALLON-BUCKET-Hydroponics-1-5-10-25-Pack-/261761889959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cf23976a7

semicaregiver;

I don't know what to suggest. I followed directions is all, and used dirt. I don't like coco, and if the system relied on it I would have passed it up........

Grass,

I am curious about your aversion to coco.   I have never used it.  The only reason I am thinking of using it in the octopot was the store owner that I bought the pots from rec'c it and the store owner that I regularly buy all my supplies from rec'c a 50/50 mix of coco and FoxFarm Ocean Harvest.

Mr regular store owner felt that a mix of Promix and Happy Frog would be too dense.  Obviously it worked for you.  Any thoughts?

Edited by semicaregiver

pro mix dries out faster than my perlite bags, with a little happy frog it retains some moisture a bit longer. my grow store pushed coco at me some years ago so I gave it a try. huge fail for me. whatever, its got hormones, or salt or whatever in it maybe, and I didn't know anything about it.  I don't have to do one darn thing to soil before I plant in it, and was pizzed at the stupid coco for requiring bufferings and screwing around.

I've grown in sand, pea gravel, wood chips, Styrofoam, rockwool, insulation, and even a dish sponge and never had the hassle of coco while doing it. I think it may have changed by now, but I could give two squirts of pee about the stuff at this point. My dirt works awesome, over and over and over without no special attentions.

wild bill--

good thought, right up my alley cept it might require a different type of feeding. not sure if loose crumbs mixed with rocks would do  it, but maybe..

Highlander=

Surely cash can be saved by doing it yourself. In my experience in the garden of tripping over dollars to pick up nickels, I long ago decided to just buy exactly what I want, and want exactly what I have. That's worked out well for me. Now, years ago I saw all of these systems a  personal challenge to cut costs with diy.

most often I did, but eventually my follies were revealed. I'm not in this to be a tinkerer any more(used to be) and I refuse to risk a leak ever again, some have been devastating. Like once I used a giant expensive tote to be my reservoir. My salt water found a little hole that reported a few drops for a couple days, then I moved the res over to do some checking and 50 gallons of salt water dumped on the floor. Nope, not when I was present, but when I went away for the day. you can imagine how I felt. that was the last straw. From there I paid whatever the grow shop wanted for their dumb reservoirs, and never had another issue.

These tools would be easy as heck for some to make themselves of course, just like an electrician doing his own work. some of us can add a plug in minutes, and would laugh maybe if we paid someone 200 bucks to do the same.   I just don't care about the few pennies to have it done right, and it affords me good sleep, unlike a lot of stuff I cobbled together in an effort to save a few dollars.  

Edited by grassmatch

Earth Box ! that's it, thanks for that Zap, I couldn't remember the name.

This morning I put a bag over a new octo with perlite in it and an hour later the perlite was wicking the water well. I suspect that as soon as a root makes it to the cup wicking is automated via that root. (?) I've seen neglected plants living off of the water that may splash in a tray with top watering. The roots dangling outside of the grow bag seem to provide enough for them to survive, I wouldn't count on it, but haves seen it. I just replaced the perlite with Grodan and suspect the same wicking will happen.   Fortunately I wont use basal ferts in the res, but I am watching closely those who will.

when I bottom fed in trays the water only was filled to 1/2 inch high on the grow bags, there was never an issue, it only takes one root to find the water, he takes care of the rest.

the dirt in the octo's don't wick to the top, hardly up more that 1/3 of the way actually. it draws up water as its exhausted I guess.

the perlite(keep in mind no plants growing in the perlite, but I stopped as soon as I felt the bag was cool near the bottom.

you could try it yourself with a tall clear glass of perlite dumped into a 1/3 cup of water. almost instantly the water will be gone(wicked by the substrate)

Highlander=

Surely cash can be saved by doing it yourself. In my experience in the garden of tripping over dollars to pick up nickels, I long ago decided to just buy exactly what I want, and want exactly what I have. That's worked out well for me. Now, years ago I saw all of these systems a  personal challenge to cut costs with diy.

most often I did, but eventually my follies were revealed. I'm not in this to be a tinkerer any more(used to be) and I refuse to risk a leak ever again, some have been devastating. Like once I used a giant expensive tote to be my reservoir. My salt water found a little hole that reported a few drops for a couple days, then I moved the res over to do some checking and 50 gallons of salt water dumped on the floor. Nope, not when I was present, but when I went away for the day. you can imagine how I felt. that was the last straw. From there I paid whatever the grow shop wanted for their dumb reservoirs, and never had another issue.

These tools would be easy as heck for some to make themselves of course, just like an electrician doing his own work. some of us can add a plug in minutes, and would laugh maybe if we paid someone 200 bucks to do the same.   I just don't care about the few pennies to have it done right, and it affords me good sleep, unlike a lot of stuff I cobbled together in an effort to save a few dollars.

Yeah I totally agree. I've reached a point in life where I try to do/make fewer things when I can pay a little extra for something done by a person who is good at it.

From my own standpoint, I'm thinking about already having a network of five gallon buckets set up to recirculate. So it would be fairly easy to adapt such a DWC system to wick the water instead. I'm thinking about mixing perlite and vermiculite 50/50 in a fabric bag, then dropping a thick wick through a hole in the bottom of the bag, to dangle down into the nute solution. Drop that in a five gallon bucket lid net pot, and run it side by side with the DWC plants.

Zap and Grass,

Great exchange.  

While I can not add any hands on facts, I did spend some time talking with the Hydro store owner in Waterford.  I never met the man before, but he appeared to have had years of experience and seemed sincere.  I will preface this with the fact that I explained to him that due to the distance I would not be a potential customer, but rather my interest was in testing the octopot and potentially buying more units if it worked.  

He was pitching that the pot should be treated like dwc.  He rec'c filling it with coco and then adding inorganic nutes to res and an air stone.  Claimed that his customers had the most success with that approach.  

Edited by semicaregiver

Seriously, have you guys looked on youtube yet? There's a TON of info to help you with these basic questions.

Searched under octopot and just found the vid's posted in this thread.  Those were pretty scary.  The inventor does not seem to be able to explain the system and the Scotty guy does not seem to be the sort of person I would seek advice from. 

Did you find others?

Not true, definitely not. Feeding effectiveness is determined by the root volume in moist media. The plant can keep itself hydrated with one root, maybe, even sending roots down straight into the water, though the air gap in this type of system can prevent it depending on the overall humidity of the room.

"The plant can keep itself hydrated with one root,"

this is what I mean to say.

my octos only have a root or two hanging into the water. There is no "air gap" I'm aware of, as the cup is filled with the same dirt that the dirt pot is, and is just an extension of he dirt pot.the dirt sits in the water, but only the cup size mass.

I made that statement based on some reading and this experience.

In my veg room I've let plants in beer cups with one fishbone root coming out the little hole in the bottom. If I let that sit at the "wet end" of the tray I don't even need to water that cup. I suspect the fishbone root is taking up the water necessary. When this happens I have to trash the cup because the fishbone root is many more times the diameter of the hole it sprung from. (45-50RH)

the cups with hole in the side will dry out in a day and wilt.

I had a bag of root mass when I harvested my first plant from the tool.

The top soil is "loose and dry as hell" for sure, but has/ maintains a constant moisture content just below the surface.

The octo will not make a grower or garden better. It will allow a good gardener to take a vacation with no worries. I go almost a week with no fuss in the octos so far.

why does he use them if he doesn't like them?

Edited by grassmatch

Is wicking by the bag/pot important?

Following up on resto's claim that all the info is on youtube, I rewatched the Scotty ..  video that is posted on this thread way back, pg 2 or 3.     The video shows him using a15 gallon regular smart pot type felt bag.   Looks like he just punches a hole in the bottom for the net pot portion of the octopot insert to fit thru and he claims he gets 2#'s per plant   (6 plants, 4K light).  

When you see the plants in the video they do not look like they are 2#'s/plant and I am incline to believe that Scotty is just promoting his own nutrient additive.  This of course leaves one to question any of the info he reports.  That said, the video does raise questions regarding the hem of the pot acting as a wick and the choice of material.

the bag retrofit will work, like any I would guess. even a small hole so that the dirt in the drop cup is touching the dirt in the grow bag, voila!

I expected the outside of my bag to be soaked at the bottom and it is not, however, the manu did discontinue the bucket system for some reason or another.

I've decided not to fuss with what works. These bags appear to have a good 10 uses per or more, since there is no bottom soaking in salt water(in mine).When they fail I know I'll probably just buy a poke the smart felt bags from local.

Its interesting to me that there are no roots searching for water on the outside of the bag, like I saw when I used the felt in a flood/drain sys.

Not true, definitely not. Feeding effectiveness is determined by the root volume in moist media. The plant can keep itself hydrated with one root, maybe, even sending roots down straight into the water, though the air gap in this type of system can prevent it depending on the overall humidity of the room.

was reading about this some.

even when no water is on the uptake, minerals are still absorbed by the other root hairs, as in, those two water roots are not looking for food, only water.imo

Minerals are taken in by the root "hairs" in the substrate. The function of the couple roots hanging in the water is to uptake and wick water water into the substrate to breakdown the organic substance into an inorganic mineral for uptake there. There is no food in the water below, only water, and only one or two large roots.

"Root pressure is capable, under ideal atmospheric conditions, of pushing water one or two feet above the ground". The other roots stay in the bag, The two grow right through the cup of dirt while the others stay. evidently water will uptake even through dead roots systems according to some studies.

http://leavingbio.net/transport%20of%20materials%20in%20a%20flowering%20plant.htm

http://udspace.udel.edu/bitstream/handle/19716/2830/Chapter+6.+The+Absorption+of+Water+and+Root+and+Stem+Pressures.pdf?sequence=9

I'm sure a cannabis plant wont thrive with one tap root dangling in water, but maintain "it only takes one root to find the water, he takes care of the rest. (as in, providing water to.) as is the case in this device.

Edited by grassmatch

Ok, I went out and bought 2 octopots.   Put one hog and one pineapple express in them.   Each plant is approx 8 weeks into veg.   They were transplanted from 2 gallon pots with an initial mix 50/50 HP promix and Fox Farm Ocean Harvest.   They have been trimmed to obtain a bush shape.  Each is approx. 24" high measured from the soil surface. 

The octopot was filled with just filtered (particulate and carbon)  Detroit City Water.    Each fabric pot was filled with a 50/50 mix of Tupur and Fox Farm Ocean Harvest.   Tupur is a commercial mix of coco, humboldt forest humus, perlite, azomite and silica.  Great White was used for the transplant.

I plan to leave the two plants under one 600w mh bulb for two weeks, 18/6, then change the bulb to a 600w hps for 12/12.    Not sure what to do about nutes.   I am leaning towards using the nutes I currently use, Soul Synthetics.    Thinking about using them at 50% strength and just pouring them over the soil medium.  

PineappleExpress03022015

Hog03022015

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be transplanting my third vegged plant into  the same octopot dirt soon. I just pulled out the finished plant with all the dirt/roots attached, stirred up the dirt thoroughly with a new cup of dry ferts, and transplanted a new girl from my 1 gallon gro bag into the octo, replacing dirt to fill. I never moved the octo once, just kept on adding water to the res. The other strains in the devices remain the happiest in the garden. I now blame it on the plants' search for water, the slow even distribution of fertilizer, and only the exact amount of water that the plant needs is being supplied.  The octo has changed the way I grow and made me a happier organic gardener. I have days in between garden chores now, less splash, no run off to manage, no plant supports, and sleeker lines in the garden plot. :blow-a-heart: