Any Give An Octopot A Try?

your awesome grass...

thank you for your reports on systems you try and of all your experience.

the community directly benefits from straight forward information reported as "used in the field" and not as some sales gimmick.

did you sense spam in the thread? I am so sorry-fixed!

Edited by grassmatch

Planning to pick up a couple of these to test.   Have not been there yet, but Happy Harvester, M59 in Waterford says they have them in stock for $48.   

They actually ended up being less than the over the phone price.  The two were $95 out the door, i.e. less than $45 each before tax.

Tried to buy just the bag and plastic bottom piece, but they would only sell the bag, approx $7

I am interested in your future results with them Semicaregiver.

I hope you will revisit this thread in a month to provide us with your opinions on its purported rapid vegetative growth.

I have no reason to doubt your results as you are a third random user/tester.

That $48 online price is much more budget friendly than the original stated price of $75.

Even better that you were able to get it locally and were able to inspect it before purchasing it.

As we all know, looking at something is not the same as picking it up and inspecting it.

Thanks for the info.

I look forward to your results.

hopefully with pictures as Grassmatch seems to be camera shy.

Edited by ilynnboy

My reviews are often understood as spam by two posters. I don't wish to offend anyone, or be accused of being a commissioned sales person, sorry.

pm me a disposable email and I'd probably put together what you need.

the device does not flower faster, although it might veg quicker for the lack of flood/drain top watering not sure.

the key I find is the minimal water in the dirt full time. rather than soaked, then dried. a couple large roots stay in the water and wick the moisture to the plant flawlessly.

even though my first didn't have air added, I think I'll keep a stone in each now. Every plant growing in one now looks as great as the first. Eventually I'll replace every grow bag/pot n the flower room with this. probably not the veg room though.

the fertilizer is suspended and dissolved so much slower than pouring in the top/mixing/top watering, so it also proved to cut my fertilizer use in Half!  At 70 bucks a 50# bag for organicare that substantial to me.

a real no brainer, kudos to the designer!

I've used those giant porch wick systems, rope/ribbon they work, with their own issues of course. octo has provided me with a vacation, cleaner room, less fuss, nicer plants, more efficient nutrient delivery.

no pics, sorry.

octo;

Mr Nice Medicine Man

veg time - 4 weeks from root formation, about 8 inches tall

MM was put into 12/12 for a little less than 60 days.

nutrients- 1/2 cup of Organicare crumbles, mixed into dirt at planting

1000 watt hps, finished under a 600 watt MH, both are hortilux

yield was 2.9 ounces dried bud colas, no underbrush

5 gallon container of pro mix/happy frog---70/30

the two controls growing under the same light, same ferts, dirt, etc, yielded 2.1 ounces, needed staking, finished a week later than the octo(not significant). both are stellar examples of perfectly finished grade A medical flowers.

I blame success on a couple things. One is the ease and cleanliness of the system, but the real key is the nutrient delivery. This is the slowest dissolve I've seen, the lightly dampened soil facilitates a smooth even distribution and the nutrients are available to the end. Compared to adding one scoop at onset, and another at day 30, to be watered over daily from top to bottom.

The oct wicking prevents "run off", and loss of any of these nutrients. imo.

The control buckets are obviously "flushed" as a result of daily top watering, while the octo plant is not. I'll work on the best amount of fertilizers to be added, maybe different bucket sizes, etc. 1/2 cup of ferts is an insignificant amount to fret over though, and near half of what I normally would use in a 5 pail.

The new octos are set up and flourishing, and I feel guilty planting in any other bag.

The End

You can talk the talk but w/o proof you are not walking the walk, every one has pics up in here!  Im starting to wonder about you lil fellla!

Peace

so you aim to strong arm me into posting private pics on this forum? :gym:

I don't need proof, I'm not selling these. I don't see anyone else posting pics of their octopots either right?  I was accused of putting spam here just by the mere mention of a good product with some pics and links.

what was our reason I should post pics again?

I've posted dozens of my garden pics here in the past, sorry you missed them.  If a reader doesn't believe my review, or the other reviews too, no picture will prove anything. if you believe me, buy one, if not, keep wondering. its 45 bucks, check it out, I did, six times so far. :P

a pic would show only that a plant grows in the thing, all of my pics are of healthy gorgeous plants beaming with glistening trichomes, this one is no different, cept it allows me to skip a garden visit for days in a row, even a week, which was my only goal. its not magic, or voodoo needing "proof" I think?

yet, you refuse to share your source to the forum providing this great savings? :butt2:

just kidding, what gives man, spill the beans, I'm running out of money stocking these things.!

A picture is worth a 1000 words!

Peace

p.s and not copied and paisted like the rest of your stuff!

I don't need proof, I'm not selling these. I don't see anyone else posting pics of their octopots either right?  I was accused of putting spam here just by the mere mention of a good product with some pics and links.

I've posted dozens of my garden pics here in the past, sorry you missed them.  If a reader doesn't believe my review, or the other reviews too, no picture will prove anything. if you believe me, buy one, if not, keep wondering. its 45 bucks, check it out, I did, six times so far. :P

a pic would show only that a plant grows in the thing, all of my pics are of healthy gorgeous plants beaming with glistening trichomes, this one is no different, cept it allows me to skip a garden visit for days in a row, even a week, which was my only goal. its not magic, or voodoo needing "proof" I think?

Plus there are plenty of videos on youtube ...... Watch a couple and you will know most everything about them.

I dont know if you remember but you had an issue with this site when  you got here, I talked you into staying and giving it a chance, Im kinda regretting that now, You kinda of remind me of a bad penny, it just keeps coming back  and causing problems!

no doubt you have your followers here now, but do they no how much you copy and paiste and spend online reading about all you write about, some lil fella hiding in his lil room behind a laptop screen or what ever you use, I know your a good reader and copy and paiste, but when it comes down to a personal level, you dont care to share anything with any one if it means some one finds out about you and  how you realy live!

Peace

For phaq,

Wait, is it possible to paste a video about pasties and cover all the bases?

feel free to delete this post if it looks like it's just a cut and paste spam post 

I couldnt deal with her age, and most likely I would die trying to please her lmao!

Peace

Grass,

Ok, I have two pots and trying to decide what to put in them.  

The store selling was big on 100% coco and inorganic nutes in the res.   He claimed the usual #1/plant stuff, but then we are back to ph meters and more work.  I decided to try this to simplify my life.  

The shop I regularly deal with suggested 50% coco and 50% FF Ocean Harvest.   The shop owner however was convinced that I would need add'l ferts during flower.  He too was suggesting inorganic ferts.

Your sugestion of organicare sounded nice and simple.  I went back and reread the entire thread and I noticed at one point you mentioned using organicare mixed in the soil at the start and then on the surface 30 days into 12/12.  In your writeup you did not mention the add at the 30 day mark.    Curious what you rec'c.   Also with the bottom feeding/watering does the soil get wet enough at the top for the stuff you added at the 30 day mark to be effective or did you do some top watering?

Lots of good info in this thread.  But having dealt with the horrors of root rot before, it is hard for me to believe that this system is immune to this problem.  Being a DWC guy, root rot is always the #1 concern.  Maybe this system simply doesn't exhibit this issue, as GM's experience so far appears positive.  Then again, I've been able to run DWC even in nute solution temps well above 70 degrees for long periods of time with no issues, but when the root rot strikes, it is sudden and difficult to overcome.  So I envision great results for months using this system and then a sudden problem if the root rot strikes...even a bigger issue with multiple plants on the same res. 

It is also interesting to consider the difference between organic nutes and inorganic.  I'm leery of using organic nutes in any system that might allow root rot.  I've been looking at the idea of getting some octopots and insulating them with the stick-on insulation designed for HVAC ducts - more or less a foam insulation with a sticky backing on one side and reflective material on the outside and a layer of foam in the middle. Then maybe network the pots together and install a pump on a timer to run the nute solution through a chiller. Evacuating the water from the res a few timer per day would also give the roots that would normally sit in water a chance to breathe....so kinduv a hybrid system between octopot, DWC, and flood and drain.

One thing I've enjoyed about DWC is that when the system is dialed-in, I can set it and forget it and even take a 3-5 day vacation and as long as there is no leak and plants don't grow into the lights.  It would seem that a well-managed octopot system would accomplish this same goal without some of the headaches I discuss above.

Highlander, interesting comments.  I too have seen the same thing with dwc.  All is great and then the roots turn to sh.t.  

While I have no experience to back it up, I wonder if the lack of an airstone is possibly a positive.   An airpump by its very nature will add heat to the air it is pumping.   The end result is you are heating most dwc buckets with the airstone.  In the other direction, the fabric of the pot might be creating some added evaporation.  This of course will create a cooling effect.   

Anyway, just some random thoughts on the process.  Maybe I will put an airstone in one octopot and compare the temp over a couple of days.

Highlander, interesting comments.  I too have seen the same thing with dwc.  All is great and then the roots turn to sh.t.  

While I have no experience to back it up, I wonder if the lack of an airstone is possibly a positive.   An airpump by its very nature will add heat to the air it is pumping.   The end result is you are heating most dwc buckets with the airstone.  In the other direction, the fabric of the pot might be creating some added evaporation.  This of course will create a cooling effect.   

Anyway, just some random thoughts on the process.  Maybe I will put an airstone in one octopot and compare the temp over a couple of days.

I have wondered the same thing.  While it is great to pump air in, you have to wonder about the heat that the air pump adds.  For this reason, I've used long air lines from my pumps (staged in a cooler area) to attempt to keep the air entering the bubbler at as low a temp as possible. 

Wild Bill, 

you are correct.  The only difference I can see is the fabric of the pot, it is not the usual felt type material like a smart pot.   You could easily modify a 5 gal DWC/net pot top to fit into Smart Pot, the difference would be that the net pot section does not sit at the bottom of the fabric pot, but rather 4-5" before the bottom such that the pot material acts as a wick.  

Over the years I have copied stuff for use in my work and gardening.  If I am convinced that their system works I expect I would not pay $45/set up, but rather just buy their pot/bag and put a dwc lid in the bottom.   My thinking is you should be able to get a 4x4 reservoir, put a lid on it and cut four holes in the corners for 4 plants under a 1K light.   Now that said, it seems like for a test I would prefer to just use their setup so that I am not left to second guess how my copy differs if the test does not work as well as the two reported on here.