Hartwick And Tuttle Amicus Briefs Filed On Behalf Of Mmma And Cpu

Was there any proof presented that she personally placed the notes on the plants or merely that she wrote the notes?

Either way it can be said that she was involved with cultivation, which is reserved to patients and their caregivers. She is obviously acting in an allowed capacity that must permit a sec. 8 hearing.

Maybe I don't know all the facts but just writing on a sticky note is no more engaging in cultivation than if she had purchased stuff at the grow store for the plants.

I hear ya habanero.  This is a quote from CPU's Amici:

In addition, (regard to issues presented in Mazur), it is with great sadness that CPU reports many patients and caregivers in the State of

Michigan have been faced with, and often convicted of,  felonies solely because of alleged technical violations of Michigan's Act premised

on issues relating to a spouse or immediate family member.  It is CPU's position that the spousal relationship is of such a nature that it must

be granted the strongest protections this court can fashion.  The spousal relationship involves the sharing of every conceivable intimate

detail, and certainly includes assisting loved ones suffering from debilitating conditions in a way unlike any other institution or governmental

agency.  When construing the Act and its protections, it is CPU's position that the spousal relationship is of such significance that for the

purposes of the Act, the two individuals must be considered one. The prosecution of a patient or caregiver should never be premised on the

role of the spouse.

I hear ya habanero.  This is a quote from CPU's Amici:

I truly hope the court agrees with CPU and I had read it. We don't know the details regarding her husband's case, so it would be presumptuous to say that the fix you suggest will be brought to bear. Short of that, I think the AD is her best bet.

Edited by GregS

husband plead out.

I believe they are now divorced...

It does happen a lot of times because the Court system is so brutal against relationship's they sometimes put you against each other and the stress is overwhelming it's called the War on Marijuana and the Courts are losing because more and more people are seeing the truth 

It does happen a lot of times because the Court system is so brutal against relationship's they sometimes put you against each other and the stress is overwhelming it's called the War on Marijuana and the Courts are losing because more and more people are seeing the truth 

Here is a couple getting divorced and lives put through the ringer. Social status and family relationships damaged. Courts still got paid just the same. They can't lose, they use our money to arrest and harass us.

The Defendant is paying the Prosecutor...

Thanks

I agree i have said it many times We pay and they get paid

Social status and family relationships damaged Oh yes many times we just don't see that part unless we have been in the system people are fast in saying first thing Don't take a plea deal and they have no way of knowing what a relationship has indued and stress  thats comes with a Court date 

Greg, there is freedom in living In the shadows. Believe me I get this. It just seems to me that our law is so full of ambiguity, for example, the point about being over the 2.5 oz limit if there is a "medical" justification, ie the patient needs 3oz/ month, that if I can provide evidence that this is the case, then from what has been discussed many times on this site, I would be in a much better position with the doc. than without.

The only justification that is required is registration with the state or meeting the elements of sec. 8. Anything else is not only unnecessary and risky, but counted by many as stupid. Prosecutors don't need our help to work against us.

"In addition, (regard to issues presented in Mazur), it is with great sadness that CPU reports many patients and caregivers in the State of

Michigan have been faced with, and often convicted of,  felonies solely because of alleged technical violations of Michigan's Act premised

on issues relating to a spouse or immediate family member.  It is CPU's position that the spousal relationship is of such a nature that it must

be granted the strongest protections this court can fashion.  The spousal relationship involves the sharing of every conceivable intimate

detail, and certainly includes assisting loved ones suffering from debilitating conditions in a way unlike any other institution or governmental

agency.  When construing the Act and its protections, it is CPU's position that the spousal relationship is of such significance that for the

purposes of the Act, the two individuals must be considered one. The prosecution of a patient or caregiver should never be premised on the

role of the spouse."

What, please, are your legal theories in support?

Edited by GregS

did you read cpu's brief? i think its on page 1 of this thread.

Yep. There are citations and good arguments on most, if not all, other points, but I am fail to see any for that. CPU states clearly enough that it maintains that position and asks that it be considered. I am unaware of any legal argument that would support it.

Edited by GregS

Spouses are automatic caregivers when they take the oath. They can't be excluded from the oath or their role as caregiver for their spouse in all health matters as clearly stated in the oath of marriage. There will be no law that locks out a spouse from access and caregiving until death due them part, or divorce. 

Will you give citations please?

Example; If a husband is sick and his spouse has to go in the plant room to get the medicine that makes him better because of the oath of marriage the Act does not preclude that care from happening. The oath of marriage trumps that. And the powers that be want to sling marriage as a heavy club right now. We can use that club also.

I do not see that Mazur is charged with caregiving for her husband. We do not have the details to his case, and I so don't like to speculate, but it is indicated that he acted as caregiver for two other patients, for whom the evidence shows she was also cultivating for. My point is that she should be protected from conviction under sec. 8. Everything else is fluff.

Edited by GregS

Example; If a husband is sick and his spouse has to go in the plant room to get the medicine that makes him better because of the oath of marriage the Act does not preclude that care from happening. The oath of marriage trumps that. And the powers that be want to sling marriage as a heavy club right now. We can use that club also.

Good luck with that.