In light of news coverage of house explosions due to BHO extractions this thread is dedicated to a safe extraction method,

Rosin Tech.

Post your experiences and methods.  Any nifty presses, tips et al here :)

Please lets keep this thread on topic.

The 1st. vid I watched on the subject.

Just squishing buds :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DFodwdZpw

Yes!!! Word of caution on "commercial" units that are coming to market: be careful with psi ratings. These new companies are no experts on hydraulic and pneumatic devices. I've seen several that recommend well above industry pressure standards. Anything certified or anyone with knowledge cuts it at 220 psi. I've seen adverts suggesting 240-250 psi. Want to go boom? Blast more pressure than your machine can handle...

Nice finds there grass, thanks.

I have seen a ton of really nifty DIY Rosin presses too.

Amazing how resourceful we humans are.

Using a regular hair straightner w/ variable heat control works

well when only doing a small amount but is a bit of work imo.

Builds up arm muscles though, if you need a way to work and

keep yer arms/ pecs toned :D

so I had some experience, some samples. I found the end product ever bit as tasty and potent of course as a ntane xtract with closed loop/NO HEAT(I like that part)

It was the same color, consistency,  less ends though. I think its a great idea for anyone not wishing to take ANY risks and still wants to try pure cannabis medicine for their ailments. I saw no danger using a press similar to the ones I posted above. No fumes, no fuss, adjustable heat(might require a learning curve, no biggy)  and it looked fun too.  Rosin is an excellent option, a real no brainer with perfect results.  and NO, the spent squishy is yucky, throw that stuff to the rabbits, maybe into the butter pan

I did not know about this method. Sure seems safer than butane. it looks pretty simple too. Things like this are so beneficial to newbies who are looking for safe ways to make medicine. Ive been afraid to use the other methods, plus butane or alcohol doesn't seem like something I want in my meds

Is their anyway these methods can be listed in one place on the forum for patients. This would be very helpful to newbies. Ive bebobed around here a lot looking for alternatives to blowing myself up and not found this method. not saying it wasn't here but it wasn't easily accessable How about changing the heading to the thread to Rosin tech or how to make oil without the risk of blowing up :yahoo-wave:

Thanks for sharing this BTW its helpful

would you say this would be comparable to RSO - have a friend fighting cancer, and she isn't big on blowing herself up either and in all her looking on the net I don't think she found this method.

Edited by keylan

I don't know what RSO is really, naptha, stick stirred bucket mixed? 

the essential oils of cannabis are efficiently and safely removed from the cannabis material this way.

If your friend is following the RSO trek they'll need near a pound of herb a month to make a gram a day dose, more or less even with butane/ alcohol.

google safe cannabis oil, Michiganmedicalmarijuana.org for all of the threads mentioning that term. 

Well, if you are properly educated with the use of butane and the equipment, and stick within standard protocols... Bho is perfectly safe to run, and a very clean product. Pretty simple stuff. Dont throw the baby out w the dirty water... Dirty water being ignorant people conducting unsafe practices. Pretty simple stuff actually. I mean people grab the live wire while working w electricity all the time... Not that we should ever consider banning electricity, right? bho is a very safe method and product, just needs to be done properly is all. Puppy dogs and kitty cats can be unsafe if handled wrongly after all.

I did not know about this method. Sure seems safer than butane. it looks pretty simple too. Things like this are so beneficial to newbies who are looking for safe ways to make medicine. Ive been afraid to use the other methods, plus butane or alcohol doesn't seem like something I want in my meds

Is their anyway these methods can be listed in one place on the forum for patients. This would be very helpful to newbies. Ive bebobed around here a lot looking for alternatives to blowing myself up and not found this method. not saying it wasn't here but it wasn't easily accessable How about changing the heading to the thread to Rosin tech or how to make oil without the risk of blowing up :yahoo-wave:

Thanks for sharing this BTW its helpful

would you say this would be comparable to RSO - have a friend fighting cancer, and she isn't big on blowing herself up either and in all her looking on the net I don't think she found this method.

I will work on getting the extraction threads rounded up and in a central location. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

RSO (originally) means Rick Simpson Oil and follows his method of extraction.

Over the years the term has mutated a bit.

I will post this vid from Rick Simpson on his original extraction method for reference.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=La426H2GluQ

Any further discussion of RSO should be in the RSO thread. 

If there isn't one (I believe there is), I will make one.

This thread is tagged "safe extraction" :)

I wish the very best for your friend in healing their cancer.

I don't know what RSO is really, naptha, stick stirred bucket mixed? 

the essential oils of cannabis are efficiently and safely removed from the cannabis material this way.

If your friend is following the RSO trek they'll need near a pound of herb a month to make a gram a day dose, more or less even with butane/ alcohol.

google safe cannabis oil, Michiganmedicalmarijuana.org for all of the threads mentioning that term. 

There is a concern about using naptha as has been discussed in length.

There are 2 types of naptha and only one is considered 'safe' if I remember correctly.

RSO discussions in ... the RSO thread plz :)

Well, if you are properly educated with the use of butane and the equipment, and stick within standard protocols... Bho is perfectly safe to run, and a very clean product. Pretty simple stuff. Dont throw the baby out w the dirty water... Dirty water being ignorant people conducting unsafe practices. Pretty simple stuff actually. I mean people grab the live wire while working w electricity all the time... Not that we should ever consider banning electricity, right? bho is a very safe method and product, just needs to be done properly is all. Puppy dogs and kitty cats can be unsafe if handled wrongly after all.

While this is true imo, there are folks who do not educate themselves about the safety of the process and is primary the reason for this thread.

Not to dispel the use of butane but rather to give those interested in making extractions, an alternate and safe for everyone method.

The devil of chemical extractions is the guaranteed removal of the chems. I can name over a dozen "safe" chemicals to use for cannabis extractions. NO chemical solvent is safe if it cannot be completely removed.

but the beauty of The Rosin technique is there is NO chemical solvents to remove. dry sift is great, but rosin is purest. Viva Rosin!

I went an got me a hair straightener to give it a shot...i wasted a few nugs trying to figure it out. Finally figured it out the yield doesnt seem worth it to me (im sure there are better ways or equipment to do better) but it did taste good but our of like 2 grams of bud I got one good dab out of it. I dont have alot of nugs laying around specially to keep burnin up buds. I watched a few videos online seems hash is the way to get a decent return.

I went an got me a hair straightener to give it a shot...i wasted a few nugs trying to figure it out. Finally figured it out the yield doesnt seem worth it to me (im sure there are better ways or equipment to do better) but it did taste good but our of like 2 grams of bud I got one good dab out of it. I dont have alot of nugs laying around specially to keep burnin up buds. I watched a few videos online seems hash is the way to get a decent return.

Did you weigh the dab? Seems to me that a 10% yield is a good rule of thumb for extractions and if you got much less than that it might be worth it doing an butter/oil/solvent extraction on those buds after doing the rosin thing.

I've experimenting with extraction from kief.  The end product is extremely sticky and its almost impossible to get it all off of the parchment paper and tools.  Am I doing something wrong?  Pressing temps are around 200, using a 25 micron screen and a 300lb clamp.  Seems to be ok quality wise its just very difficult to work with/collect.  Thanks in advance for the input.

I've experimenting with extraction from kief.  The end product is extremely sticky and its almost impossible to get it all off of the parchment paper and tools.  Am I doing something wrong?  Pressing temps are around 200, using a 25 micron screen and a 300lb clamp.  Seems to be ok quality wise its just very difficult to work with/collect.  Thanks in advance for the input.

Try folding your parchment in half so that your rosin is folded on itself and put it in the freezer for a minute or two . Take it out and carefully unfold it and it should stick to itself on one half of the fold and you should be able to gather all the outside spots together . Be careful as it's like shatter when you pull it out , it will become sticky again as it reaches room temperature .