Funding The Carruthers Appeal

awww.....screw it.  I'll make my own twofer offer.  I'm willing to put another $100 donation in the kitty today.

I'll match any contribution(s) until midnight at $2 from me for every $1 from you.

Show CL and Carruthers and our community the money....  So if we can get another $50 TODAY, I'll kick in another C-note.

I would like to ad that I have had many positive and some negative discussions/interactions with people from this board and the MMJ community.  It is a little like fighting between brothers.  Sometimes you might get on each others' nerves, scrap a bit, maybe even draw a little blood.  But you know when to agree to bury the hatchet and then focus your effort somewhere else. 

This is when it is time to set petty differences, minor disagreements, and even substantial differences aside and focus on a goal that affects us all. 

As many of you might know, I have always advocated a conservative interpretation of our protections and defenses.  I have given a lot of benefit of the doubt to the courts when they interpret the MMMA against our favor and have felt a few times,......."well....i guess I can see where they'd rule that way.  Reasonable minds can differ."

But the Carruthers case is the end of this rope as far as I'm concerned.  There isn't any reasonable reason for the COA to have excluded extracts from "a preparation thereof."  (If not extracts, then WTF does "a preparation thereof mean?") 

It is worth a couple hundred bucks for me to hear the crickets in the courtroom after Chief Justice Young asks Bill Schuette's puppet attorney "Well, what does 'a preparation thereof' mean?  Give me the best example of what a 'preparation thereof' includes."

Edited by Highlander

a mixture is when you mix dried flowers and leaves into any pertinent recipe?

a preparation thereof is when you bake it, chill it, or ready it to be prepared for medical use?

it is now prepared for consumption in its current form?

if you remove by any method the original flowers or leaves... you have "extracted"  and "extraction" seems to be the very holdup to the concept of preparation or mixture thereof as the COA has defined with this ruling.

Edited by mibrains
self reasoning

Hello hello,

After many meetings with attorneys we finally finalized the attorney team on Saturday, August 24th. The team will consist of Appellate Attorney Stuart Friedman and Co-Counsel Michael Kormon & Neil Rockind. We can call them the "Brownie Dream Team(BDT)"

I've been through many attorneys and I am confident in the BDT's real experience & victories in regards to medical marijuana and in bringin there A game to the table.

We raised $420 (yea 420) in claimed funds as of the morning of Sat, Aug 24th. The cost to start is 7500. The BDT is being very flexible with us to start the application process without full payment as they are more concerned with the impact this case has on the entire mmj community if it does not go to SC and will dedicate hours before being fully compensated.

Three very good Attorneys.

This issue is probably about 4 times as big as the matter at hand.  The COA ruled against extracts that don’t contain leaf or bud.  And they specifically said that they were not deciding the “total weight” issue as it comes to medibles made with leaf and bud.  This pretty much means that someone is going to be the next one to drop into the meat grinder when he/she gets caught with 16 oz of canna-granola bars that contain only 16 grams of  leaf or bud.

The McQueen case, which was a p2p matter at its core, did away with p2p transfers of any sort.  But the court also issued an advisory opinion as to other transfers…and they told us that any transfer between unconnected people isn’t protected under section 4.  So this case went to the SC with a narrow question (p2p sales) and came out the other end with a comprehensive opinion as to any other type of transfer.

We can easily conclude that the Carruthers case will be similar….that it will get fed into the SC as a narrow case and end up with a broad opinion.  We want that broad opinion to state that a “mixture thereof” only includes the weight of the MMJ and not the sugar, flour, etc.  (This would be consistent with proper grammar, so it is hard to imagine this ruling going against us.)  This case is an opportunity for us to force another issue or two in the back door.

It really is in everyone’s best interest to dig deep and fund this appeal. 

If you can only give $1, then please give a dollar.  That would be more than your part.  If every registered patient gave $1, we’d have $130,000 to blast this back through the courts.

Dig deep folks.  This is a BIG deal.

to be protected as it applies currently to this COA decision...

one must not in any way remove the flowers or dried leaves.

as some have tried to state on the forums recently..

"just add a leaf or some bud to the end result" and it is good enough to satisfy them because it contains trace amounts of the flower?

no

I do not believe that would be true.

if you can not prove how you replicate the recipe without breaking the law then you are doomed to eventually fail.

why not just do as they say again and utilize the dried flowers and leaves in every mixture or preparation thereof and not "extract them" or remove them?

I am not trying to belittle this important topic or dissuade anyone from contributing to this cause..

just asking some questions and offering some thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head for a minute...

the strongest cancer fighting and epilepsy resolving results have been obtained using extracts..

so lets not forget the medical value of this plant.

I am not trying to debate that

we defiantly need the extracts..

the strongest of them are the most likely to contain the hardiest of cures.

the question here is not whether or not we need them, or if they work but rather if they are or were always allowed under the section 4 protections from arrest or if we need to have them "proved" under section 8 before they are accepted.

awww.....screw it.  I'll make my own twofer offer.  I'm willing to put another $100 donation in the kitty today.

I'll match any contribution(s) until midnight at $2 from me for every $1 from you.

Show CL and Carruthers and our community the money....  So if we can get another $50 TODAY, I'll kick in another C-note.

I would like to ad that I have had many positive and some negative discussions/interactions with people from this board and the MMJ community.  It is a little like fighting between brothers.  Sometimes you might get on each others' nerves, scrap a bit, maybe even draw a little blood.  But you know when to agree to bury the hatchet and then focus your effort somewhere else. 

This is when it is time to set petty differences, minor disagreements, and even substantial differences aside and focus on a goal that affects us all. 

As many of you might know, I have always advocated a conservative interpretation of our protections and defenses.  I have given a lot of benefit of the doubt to the courts when they interpret the MMMA against our favor and have felt a few times,......."well....i guess I can see where they'd rule that way.  Reasonable minds can differ."

But the Carruthers case is the end of this rope as far as I'm concerned.  There isn't any reasonable reason for the COA to have excluded extracts from "a preparation thereof."  (If not extracts, then WTF does "a preparation thereof mean?") 

That's very good of you........ I will start that ball a rollin for you........... I stand with you too.........

I believe that I read on this thread that the legal team is willing to get started even though not enough money (ammunition) has been collected.

If that is the case then we have been given additional time to raise money and I want to throw this out to the community.

I will sell an 1881 Morgan Dollar on eBay and donate the proceeds to Caruthers.  I think that many of us either have a Pay Pal Account or know someone who does than won't mind helping.  In fact, I would be willing to sell your item(s) on eBay (PM me with your item).

It is true that we have in the area of 130K card carrying members, who knows how many unregistered, surely we have an item or two that we would be proud donate to the cause.

I will post after I have photographed and listed my coin (I'll miss her) later today.  Hang in there Caruthers, the Calvary is on its way.  WeHeeee!!!!!

IT WILL TAKE A MONUMENTAL EFFORT ON ALL OF OUR BEHALVES TO GET THIS JOB DONE.  PLEASE ENLIST IN THIS ARMY OF THE SICK, SELL/DONATE WHAT EVER  YOU CAN.    THANK YOU.

Edited by Herb Cannabis

I believe that I read on this thread that the legal team is willing to get started even though not enough money (ammunition) has been collected.

If that is the case then we have been given additional time to raise money and I want to throw this out to the community.

I will sell an 1881 Morgan Dollar on eBay and donate the proceeds to Caruthers.  I think that many of us either have a Pay Pal Account or know someone who does than won't mind helping.  In fact, I would be willing to sell your item(s) on eBay (PM me with your item).

It is true that we have in the area of 130K card carrying members, who knows how many unregistered, surely we have an item or two that we would be proud donate to the cause.

I will post after I have photographed and listed my coin (I'll miss her) later today.  Hang in there Caruthers, the Calvary is on its way.  WeHeeee!!!!!

IT WILL TAKE A MONUMENTAL EFFORT ON ALL OF OUR BEHALVES TO GET THIS JOB DONE.  PLEASE ENLIST IN THIS ARMY OF THE SICK, SELL/DONATE WHAT EVER  YOU CAN.    THANK YOU.

Awesome offer and idea HC!  I wish I had something of value to put up.

Wish I had waited to donate til today when it would have been tripled by the good members here :)

I just sent the $80 through Paypal that was collected in the can at the event this past weekend.

Sent through my personal account with A.M.C.S info as an added note.

NOTE:  All of the funds A.M.C.S. collected at the event (donation can proceeds) have been turned over through Paypal.   If I am approached about how to donate,  I will refer people to this thread or the Paypal address. 

Edited by northerngal

And with that we are now just over $850 in the paypal account.  Add in imiubu's collected $200 and we will be over $1000. 

This is a good start but let's keep plugging away.  Ask your local grow shop, dispensary, market, etc., to contribute.  I will mention names of anyone willing to have their name put out there so maybe some free goodwill advertising will entice some places to contribute.

Thanks to everyone who has donated.  Special thanks to those who have donated $100 and those who have donated less but have done all they could.  There have also been 2 and, I think,  3 time donors.  Thank you for those.  Making this fund a weekly tithe, or whatever you can afford, is a great help.

I am in need of your opinions as to whether or not I should add into my description explaining what these funds will be used for when I sell the Morgan Dollar.

Example idea:  The proceeds from this auction will be donated to fight the Michigan Court of Appeals ruling concerning the usage of cannabis extracts.  

I hope someone here can help me form the most effective wording possible.

Thank you.

The hits you get on ebay will be from collectors.  They are generally in it for the bottom line and I doubt that you will create a bidding war based on the proceeds being donated to a cause that some portion of the population doesn't agree with.  It could hurt as much as it helps.

A very big thank you goes out to GregS for being the first person to donate twice with a C note each time.  That's right folks, he is in it for $200 thus far.  We have had a few other $100 donations as well but GregS is the first to drop that much.

Thank you to other double donors as well.  I understand not everyone can put in even $100 so your $20, give or take, is extremely helpful as well.

The hits you get on ebay will be from collectors.  They are generally in it for the bottom line and I doubt that you will create a bidding war based on the proceeds being donated to a cause that some portion of the population doesn't agree with.  It could hurt as much as it helps.

A very big thank you goes out to GregS for being the first person to donate twice with a C note each time.  That's right folks, he is in it for $200 thus far.  We have had a few other $100 donations as well but GregS is the first to drop that much.

Thank you to other double donors as well.  I understand not everyone can put in even $100 so your $20, give or take, is extremely helpful as well.

Thank you cl for your opinion, you are spot on about them being collectors.  I was thinking that there are a lot of tokers out there that buy this stuff, including yours truly.  Can you enlighten me concerning how it could hurt us, I honestly don't understand.

I will not include that statement in my listing.

Thank you cl for your opinion, you are spot on about them being collectors.  I was thinking that there are a lot of tokers out there that buy this stuff, including yours truly.  Can you enlighten me concerning how it could hurt us, I honestly don't understand.

I will not include that statement in my listing.

I don't think he meant "hurt us" as in the community overall.  The way I understood it, is it could hurt the auctions bottom line.  For instance: a bidder is very interested in the item but he doesn't agree with medical cannabis, he is not going to bid to help the cannabis movement, even if he wants the item.